Ireland November Tests.

Page 6 of 15 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 15  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ireland November Tests.

Post by carpet baboon on Mon 10 Jul 2017, 3:59 pm

First topic message reminder :

What would we like to see?
With ringrose definitely out, and henshaw and Payne looking unlikely, who shall step into the centre pairing?
If all our back row are fit whats the best combo?
Will tonner continue in the row or will he be usurped?

Lots of questions, and the season hasnt even started yet

carpet baboon

Posts : 1420
Join date : 2014-05-08
Location : Midlands

Back to top Go down


Re: Ireland November Tests.

Post by asoreleftshoulder on Fri 13 Oct 2017, 9:38 pm

Cullen mentioned O’Loughlin as being in the same boat as Sexton,slow to recover from last week so hasn’t been able to train fully this week.

asoreleftshoulder

Posts : 3820
Join date : 2011-05-15
Location : Meath,Ireland.

Back to top Go down

Re: Ireland November Tests.

Post by geoff999rugby on Sat 14 Oct 2017, 9:38 am

Stockdale basically stated the 11 shirt is mine after last nights performance.
To a lesser extent the centres did enough to suggest they should be fighting each other to be alongside Henshaw - depending what type of game Joe wants to play.

One thing is for sure Henshaw, McCloskey and Stockdale in the threes makes for a very physical unit

geoff999rugby

Posts : 2978
Join date : 2012-01-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Ireland November Tests.

Post by profitius on Sat 14 Oct 2017, 7:43 pm

geoff999rugby wrote:Stockdale basically stated the 11 shirt is mine after last nights performance.
To a lesser extent the centres did enough to suggest they should be fighting each other to be alongside Henshaw - depending what type of game Joe wants to play.

One thing is for sure Henshaw, McCloskey and Stockdale in the threes makes for a very physical unit


11 Stockdale
12 ?
13 Henshaw
14 Earls
15 Carbery

Henshaw had one of his best games in ages playing 13 today. It could have a double impact for Ireland if he moved. Henshaw is a much better 13 so play him there and bring in a 12 to offer something different. Good to see McCloskey back on form. Its between himself and Scannell I'd say. I think Marshall just makes too many errors for Schmidts liking.
avatar
profitius

Posts : 3880
Join date : 2012-01-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Ireland November Tests.

Post by carpet baboon on Sat 14 Oct 2017, 9:47 pm

Do we think Tonner is nailed on to start or might Joe gamble with Ryan or Treadwell alongside the mighty henderson

carpet baboon

Posts : 1420
Join date : 2014-05-08
Location : Midlands

Back to top Go down

Re: Ireland November Tests.

Post by profitius on Sat 14 Oct 2017, 10:11 pm

carpet baboon wrote:Do we think Tonner is nailed on to start or might Joe gamble with Ryan or Treadwell alongside the mighty henderson

Toner to start in the big matches but Ryan and Treadwell to get some gametime too. Toner has started the season well.
avatar
profitius

Posts : 3880
Join date : 2012-01-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Ireland November Tests.

Post by the-goon on Mon 16 Oct 2017, 10:17 am

James Ryan looks to the manor born, great game on Sat. He will be putting serious pressure on the incumbants at Leinster and Ireland.

It's funny how the 2nd looked to be a position of weakness when D Ryan was leaving for France, and now it looks like we have some depth all of a sudden. Toner, Henderson, J Ryan, Dillane, T Beirne and Treadwell all look the part. Holland can also do a job.

the-goon

Posts : 647
Join date : 2011-05-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Ireland November Tests.

Post by eirebilly on Mon 16 Oct 2017, 1:05 pm

profitius wrote:

11 Stockdale
12 ?
13 Henshaw
14 Earls
15 Carbery

Henshaw had one of his best games in ages playing 13 today. It could have a double impact for Ireland if he moved. Henshaw is a much better 13 so play him there and bring in a 12 to offer something different. Good to see McCloskey back on form. Its between himself and Scannell I'd say. I think Marshall just makes too many errors for Schmidts liking.

For me right now,

11 : Stockdale (absolutely worth a shot, looks the part already)
12 : Scannell (just think he would bring a nice balance to the midfield)
13 : Henshaw (as already said numerous times, he is simply a better 13 than 12 and is wasted at 12)
14 : Earls (Looks very much back to form and the last 2 games has shown he has his speed back. Still the best finisher in Ireland)
15 : Zebo (Think that Carbery is a better 10 than 15 and is often found out defensively at 15)

I know people will think I have shown a bit too much Munster bias but I do believe, on form, this is the best balance for Ireland.
avatar
eirebilly

Posts : 22251
Join date : 2011-02-09
Age : 46
Location : Holland

Back to top Go down

Re: Ireland November Tests.

Post by the-goon on Mon 16 Oct 2017, 1:30 pm

eirebilly wrote:
profitius wrote:

11 Stockdale
12 ?
13 Henshaw
14 Earls
15 Carbery

Henshaw had one of his best games in ages playing 13 today. It could have a double impact for Ireland if he moved. Henshaw is a much better 13 so play him there and bring in a 12 to offer something different. Good to see McCloskey back on form. Its between himself and Scannell I'd say. I think Marshall just makes too many errors for Schmidts liking.

For me right now,

11 : Stockdale (absolutely worth a shot, looks the part already)
12 : Scannell (just think he would bring a nice balance to the midfield)
13 : Henshaw (as already said numerous times, he is simply a better 13 than 12 and is wasted at 12)
14 : Earls (Looks very much back to form and the last 2 games has shown he has his speed back. Still the best finisher in Ireland)
15 : Zebo (Think that Carbery is a better 10 than 15 and is often found out defensively at 15)

I know people will think I have shown a bit too much Munster bias but I do believe, on form, this is the best balance for Ireland.

Yeah, would be happy with that. McCloskey could get in ahead of Scannell, but it would likely be a tactical decision, both are playing well. The rest from 11-15 should be set in stone.

the-goon

Posts : 647
Join date : 2011-05-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Ireland November Tests.

Post by the-goon on Mon 16 Oct 2017, 1:32 pm

And I think Conan should be ahead of CJ now.

the-goon

Posts : 647
Join date : 2011-05-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Ireland November Tests.

Post by eirebilly on Mon 16 Oct 2017, 2:19 pm

I would agree with you there goon, Conan is playing some brilliant stuff and is ahead of CJ right now. As I said on the other thread, I hope Heaslip does not come back into the 8 shirt automatically for Leinster and push Conan to 6. That would be a waste.

Conan and Ryan are playing some superb rugby and should get a start in the AI's.
avatar
eirebilly

Posts : 22251
Join date : 2011-02-09
Age : 46
Location : Holland

Back to top Go down

Re: Ireland November Tests.

Post by profitius on Tue 17 Oct 2017, 2:06 pm

the-goon wrote:James Ryan looks to the manor born, great game on Sat. He will be putting serious pressure on the incumbants at Leinster and Ireland.

It's funny how the 2nd looked to be a position of weakness when D Ryan was leaving for France, and now it looks like we have some depth all of a sudden. Toner, Henderson, J Ryan, Dillane, T Beirne and Treadwell all look the part. Holland can also do a job.


I agree about Ryan. He looks the part.


Most of those names are 24 or under which is good. They've a bit of developing to do but locks don't peak until their late 20s usually.
avatar
profitius

Posts : 3880
Join date : 2012-01-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Ireland November Tests.

Post by Pete330v2 on Tue 17 Oct 2017, 7:42 pm

eirebilly wrote:
profitius wrote:

11 Stockdale
12 ?
13 Henshaw
14 Earls
15 Carbery

Henshaw had one of his best games in ages playing 13 today. It could have a double impact for Ireland if he moved. Henshaw is a much better 13 so play him there and bring in a 12 to offer something different. Good to see McCloskey back on form. Its between himself and Scannell I'd say. I think Marshall just makes too many errors for Schmidts liking.

For me right now,

11 : Stockdale (absolutely worth a shot, looks the part already)
12 : Scannell (just think he would bring a nice balance to the midfield)
13 : Henshaw (as already said numerous times, he is simply a better 13 than 12 and is wasted at 12)
14 : Earls (Looks very much back to form and the last 2 games has shown he has his speed back. Still the best finisher in Ireland)
15 : Zebo (Think that Carbery is a better 10 than 15 and is often found out defensively at 15)

I know people will think I have shown a bit too much Munster bias but I do believe, on form, this is the best balance for Ireland.

That's a nice backline, each of them well deserving of their shot. Henshaw has to be played at 13. Is there anyone you'd give a shot at 9 Billy? Wink

Pete330v2

Posts : 3064
Join date : 2012-05-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Ireland November Tests.

Post by geoff999rugby on Tue 17 Oct 2017, 10:04 pm

One player who is not mentioned is Farrell.

I recall reading on here that he was the best thing since sliced bread and I also recall saying he was being overrated.

Having watched him in the last couple of weeks I rest my case.
A big lump, with poor handling and positioning skills

Why is it some assume an Irish player in France must be good - some say the same about Hart.
He is also average, in international terms.
Inspite of his defensive issues last year McCloskey has always been a better player than Farrell

As they say size isn't everything

geoff999rugby

Posts : 2978
Join date : 2012-01-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Ireland November Tests.

Post by profitius on Wed 18 Oct 2017, 8:33 am

geoff999rugby wrote:One player who is not mentioned is Farrell.

I recall reading on here that he was the best thing since sliced bread and I also recall saying he was being overrated.

Having watched him in the last couple of weeks I rest my case.
A big lump, with poor handling and positioning skills

Why is it some assume an Irish player in France must be good - some say the same about Hart.
He is also average, in international terms.
Inspite of his defensive issues last year McCloskey has always been a better player than Farrell

As they say size isn't everything


I don't remember many people saying that about Farrell. It was more along the lines of he looks like a promising option.


I'd agree about Hart and how people hype up any player in France but Farrell did get on the top 14 team of the season last season which isn't easy to achieve while McCloskey had a season to forget.


We'll see if those high mistakes are the norm or is he being too anxious to show what he can do. Munster are chopping and changing the 9, 10 and 12 a lot this season which isn't helping Farrell.
avatar
profitius

Posts : 3880
Join date : 2012-01-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Ireland November Tests.

Post by geoff999rugby on Wed 18 Oct 2017, 9:08 am

People in the club section (Gossip thread I believe) were talking about Farrell playing so well in France he only had to come home to Munster and he was in pole position for the Autumn Internationals.

France like big lumps at centre, even if handling skills not the best.
Many French teams play in a style that does not expose centres defensive frailties (La Rochelle and Bordeaux have, to some extent, broken the mold)
Those two facts go someone to explaining why he was in the team - to be honest watching French rugby it is a condemnation of the French style that he made the team, there much better centres in France than Farrell (and there were last year)

McCloskey always had better hands than Farrell whilst coming through the Ulster ranks

geoff999rugby

Posts : 2978
Join date : 2012-01-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Ireland November Tests.

Post by marty2086 on Wed 18 Oct 2017, 10:10 am

From what little Ive seen of Farrell so far, he doesn't seem the same player.

At Grenoble he seemed more aggressive in attack and was good at getting the ball away in contact. For Munster he seems to avoid contact at time and is almost playing a style he's not comfortable with

marty2086

Posts : 8203
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 31
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: Ireland November Tests.

Post by geoff999rugby on Wed 18 Oct 2017, 10:50 am

He is exactly the same player.

The, often, static nature of French rugby gives a player more time to play - Farrell could handle that
In the Pro14 and the Aviva you need to be sharper in the mind and sharper in the hands - I am not convinced Farrell can make the transition.
He left Ulster for a reason - he was struggling to cope

geoff999rugby

Posts : 2978
Join date : 2012-01-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Ireland November Tests.

Post by marty2086 on Wed 18 Oct 2017, 11:00 am

I don't remember enough of him to say he's the same player he was at Ulster

It does seem to be a problem playing a faster flowing game where fast offloading is needed, just isn't in his wheel house

The problem is that Joe and Munster seem to think him capable, though why he keeps getting picked when he seems a liability is a strange one

Hanrahan at 12 seems a far better option in that role than Farrell

marty2086

Posts : 8203
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 31
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: Ireland November Tests.

Post by geoff999rugby on Wed 18 Oct 2017, 1:25 pm

He is picked because he is playing 13 and the only option is injured for the next 3 to 6 months.
Munster don't have the cover in the centres

geoff999rugby

Posts : 2978
Join date : 2012-01-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Ireland November Tests.

Post by rodders on Wed 18 Oct 2017, 4:30 pm

geoff999rugby wrote:He is exactly the same player.

The, often, static nature of French rugby gives a player more time to play - Farrell could handle that
In the Pro14 and the Aviva you need to be sharper in the mind and sharper in the hands - I am not convinced Farrell can make the transition.
He left Ulster for a reason - he was struggling to cope

I thought he looked decent at the weekend, well a mixed bag. He made some bad mistakes but some decent things too.

I agree though McCloskey is a better player, similar but has far better hands and feet.

Henshaw was excellent at 13 at the weekend, I think there are some very exciting combinations with Marshall and Scannell there too.
avatar
rodders

Posts : 23967
Join date : 2011-05-20
Age : 36

Back to top Go down

Re: Ireland November Tests.

Post by profitius on Wed 18 Oct 2017, 4:50 pm

We'll have to wait and see how Farrell goes. Meanwhile Mark McCall has ruled himself out of moving to international rugby. https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/oct/17/mark-mccall-test-saracens-2021-lions-toulon?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
avatar
profitius

Posts : 3880
Join date : 2012-01-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Ireland November Tests.

Post by geoff999rugby on Wed 18 Oct 2017, 5:22 pm

rodders wrote:
geoff999rugby wrote:He is exactly the same player.

The, often, static nature of French rugby gives a player more time to play - Farrell could handle that
In the Pro14 and the Aviva you need to be sharper in the mind and sharper in the hands - I am not convinced Farrell can make the transition.
He left Ulster for a reason - he was struggling to cope

I thought he looked decent at the weekend, well a mixed bag. He made some bad mistakes but some decent things too.

I agree though McCloskey is a better player, similar but has far better hands and feet.

.

I thought Farrell was terrible to be honest but then again I think you all know by now I don't rate him as a player
The manner in which he left Ulster makes me question his resolve - he couldn't hack it and left with his tail between his legs
That brittleness may well reappear.

I agree it is probably between Scannell and Marshall to partner Henshaw

geoff999rugby

Posts : 2978
Join date : 2012-01-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Ireland November Tests.

Post by eirebilly on Thu 19 Oct 2017, 5:55 am

Pete330v2 wrote:
eirebilly wrote:

For me right now,

11 : Stockdale (absolutely worth a shot, looks the part already)
12 : Scannell (just think he would bring a nice balance to the midfield)
13 : Henshaw (as already said numerous times, he is simply a better 13 than 12 and is wasted at 12)
14 : Earls (Looks very much back to form and the last 2 games has shown he has his speed back. Still the best finisher in Ireland)
15 : Zebo (Think that Carbery is a better 10 than 15 and is often found out defensively at 15)

I know people will think I have shown a bit too much Munster bias but I do believe, on form, this is the best balance for Ireland.

That's a nice backline, each of them well deserving of their shot. Henshaw has to be played at 13. Is there anyone you'd give a shot at 9 Billy? Wink

Murray is the number 1 still Pete and will probably play the full game but I would still have Marmion on the bench, if only to win my bet Very Happy
avatar
eirebilly

Posts : 22251
Join date : 2011-02-09
Age : 46
Location : Holland

Back to top Go down

Re: Ireland November Tests.

Post by Pete330v2 on Fri 20 Oct 2017, 9:46 am

eirebilly wrote:
Pete330v2 wrote:
eirebilly wrote:

For me right now,

11 : Stockdale (absolutely worth a shot, looks the part already)
12 : Scannell (just think he would bring a nice balance to the midfield)
13 : Henshaw (as already said numerous times, he is simply a better 13 than 12 and is wasted at 12)
14 : Earls (Looks very much back to form and the last 2 games has shown he has his speed back. Still the best finisher in Ireland)
15 : Zebo (Think that Carbery is a better 10 than 15 and is often found out defensively at 15)

I know people will think I have shown a bit too much Munster bias but I do believe, on form, this is the best balance for Ireland.

That's a nice backline, each of them well deserving of their shot. Henshaw has to be played at 13. Is there anyone you'd give a shot at 9 Billy? Wink

Murray is the number 1 still Pete and will probably play the full game but I would still have Marmion on the bench, if only to win my bet Very Happy

Yes Murray is the No.1 but I did mean as backup for November, Marmion will still get his place warming the bench because he knows Joe's systems and Joe won't shift him. The other two lads have 2 years to oust him though and they're very close to doing it already IMO.
I've not thought what my forfeit is yet, yours holds no fear for me, I already own a Munster shirt Wink

Pete330v2

Posts : 3064
Join date : 2012-05-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Ireland November Tests.

Post by Marshes on Fri 20 Oct 2017, 2:15 pm

geoff999rugby wrote:One player who is not mentioned is Farrell.

I recall reading on here that he was the best thing since sliced bread and I also recall saying he was being overrated.

Having watched him in the last couple of weeks I rest my case.
A big lump, with poor handling and positioning skills

Why is it some assume an Irish player in France must be good - some say the same about Hart.
He is also average, in international terms.
Inspite of his defensive issues last year McCloskey has always been a better player than Farrell

As they say size isn't everything

Yep I remember haaving a barney with someone that Farrell was waaaaay better than Henshaw because he bumped him once when Connacht played Grenoble Rolling Eyes

On the plus side what I saw of McCloskey this year he seems to be back to his old self? Was super aggressive in defence against Connacht, really impressed.

Marshes

Posts : 807
Join date : 2012-11-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Ireland November Tests.

Post by Marshes on Fri 20 Oct 2017, 2:36 pm

Pete330v2 wrote:
eirebilly wrote:
Pete330v2 wrote:
eirebilly wrote:

For me right now,

11 : Stockdale (absolutely worth a shot, looks the part already)
12 : Scannell (just think he would bring a nice balance to the midfield)
13 : Henshaw (as already said numerous times, he is simply a better 13 than 12 and is wasted at 12)
14 : Earls (Looks very much back to form and the last 2 games has shown he has his speed back. Still the best finisher in Ireland)
15 : Zebo (Think that Carbery is a better 10 than 15 and is often found out defensively at 15)

I know people will think I have shown a bit too much Munster bias but I do believe, on form, this is the best balance for Ireland.

That's a nice backline, each of them well deserving of their shot. Henshaw has to be played at 13. Is there anyone you'd give a shot at 9 Billy? Wink

Murray is the number 1 still Pete and will probably play the full game but I would still have Marmion on the bench, if only to win my bet Very Happy

Yes Murray is the No.1 but I did mean as backup for November, Marmion will still get his place warming the bench because he knows Joe's systems and Joe won't shift him. The other two lads have 2 years to oust him though and they're very close to doing it already IMO.
I've not thought what my forfeit is yet, yours holds no fear for me, I already own a Munster shirt Wink

Marms still on the bench for me! Still delighted to see Cooney tipping along well. Luke McGrath I thought was very patchy on the weekend, seems to think everyone is a half a foot taller than they are. However close Cooney is to Marmion I wouldn't put McGrath in that conversation yet.

Marshes

Posts : 807
Join date : 2012-11-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Ireland November Tests.

Post by rodders on Mon 23 Oct 2017, 11:39 am

Marshes wrote:
geoff999rugby wrote:One player who is not mentioned is Farrell.

I recall reading on here that he was the best thing since sliced bread and I also recall saying he was being overrated.

Having watched him in the last couple of weeks I rest my case.
A big lump, with poor handling and positioning skills

Why is it some assume an Irish player in France must be good - some say the same about Hart.
He is also average, in international terms.
Inspite of his defensive issues last year McCloskey has always been a better player than Farrell

As they say size isn't everything

Yep I remember haaving a barney with someone that Farrell was waaaaay better than Henshaw because he bumped him once when Connacht played Grenoble Rolling Eyes

On the plus side what I saw of McCloskey this year he seems to be back to his old self? Was super aggressive in defence against Connacht, really impressed.

yeah it was probably me.. changed my mind that Farrell fella is useless.

Another good showing from McCloskey in a rudderless Ulster performance in La Rochelle.
avatar
rodders

Posts : 23967
Join date : 2011-05-20
Age : 36

Back to top Go down

Re: Ireland November Tests.

Post by Marshes on Tue 24 Oct 2017, 2:04 pm

rodders wrote:
Marshes wrote:
geoff999rugby wrote:One player who is not mentioned is Farrell.

I recall reading on here that he was the best thing since sliced bread and I also recall saying he was being overrated.

Having watched him in the last couple of weeks I rest my case.
A big lump, with poor handling and positioning skills

Why is it some assume an Irish player in France must be good - some say the same about Hart.
He is also average, in international terms.
Inspite of his defensive issues last year McCloskey has always been a better player than Farrell

As they say size isn't everything

Yep I remember haaving a barney with someone that Farrell was waaaaay better than Henshaw because he bumped him once when Connacht played Grenoble Rolling Eyes

On the plus side what I saw of McCloskey this year he seems to be back to his old self? Was super aggressive in defence against Connacht, really impressed.

yeah it was probably me.. changed my mind that Farrell fella is useless.

Another good showing from McCloskey in a rudderless Ulster performance in La Rochelle.  

I was pitching Matt Healy for the South Africa tour last summer, no harm in revising your view of a player on new info!

It is weird to see McCloskey not being touted as much as Scannell for the 12 shirt, I'm even seeing Aki's name being mentioned more even though he has been a bit off the boil so far this season.. I actually though when he played along side Henshaw against England they were class, made two clean breaks each as a new partnership!

And Zebo is off as well. Wonder if that means we will see planning without him at the Six Nations. If so I think we could see Carbery, Stockdale and Earls


Marshes

Posts : 807
Join date : 2012-11-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Ireland November Tests.

Post by eirebilly on Tue 24 Oct 2017, 2:17 pm

Henshaw simply has to move to 13, it is by far and away his best position. If you want a bludgeoning 12 then go for Farrell but at he would need to improve his offloading.

Scannell is ahead of McCloskey purely down to Schmidt not rating McCloskey. I would very much like to see a McCloskey / Henshaw 12-13 midfield.
avatar
eirebilly

Posts : 22251
Join date : 2011-02-09
Age : 46
Location : Holland

Back to top Go down

Re: Ireland November Tests.

Post by marty2086 on Tue 24 Oct 2017, 2:35 pm

Who said Joe doesn't rate McCloskey? McCloskey is outplaying Farrell by a country mile at the minute

marty2086

Posts : 8203
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 31
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: Ireland November Tests.

Post by Pot Hale on Wed 25 Oct 2017, 12:15 am

Surely Aki is going to get a first run out if only to put a cap on his head and put him into the stock pool?

In PRO14, he has the most carries to date 107 with McCloskey in second spot on 80. Aki and Carbery have the most defenders beaten of Irish players with 17.

Tom Farrell 14 and Alex Wootton 11 have most offloads.

Stockdale has most clean breaks of the Irish players and features well in try scorers with 4. Wootton with 5.
avatar
Pot Hale

Posts : 5163
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 55
Location : Dublhkining

Back to top Go down

Re: Ireland November Tests.

Post by geoff999rugby on Wed 25 Oct 2017, 9:22 am

Give Aki 2 mins, against Fiji, to tie him to Ireland - we do it all the time

On current form McCloskey, Scannell and Marshall are all miles ahead of Aki
As I have said before I not sure Farrell is even capable of that level of form

geoff999rugby

Posts : 2978
Join date : 2012-01-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Ireland November Tests.

Post by rodders on Wed 25 Oct 2017, 10:03 am

marty2086 wrote:Who said Joe doesn't rate McCloskey? McCloskey is outplaying Farrell by a country mile at the minute

I thought it was fairly well known that Schmidt wasn't a fan.
avatar
rodders

Posts : 23967
Join date : 2011-05-20
Age : 36

Back to top Go down

Re: Ireland November Tests.

Post by marty2086 on Wed 25 Oct 2017, 10:11 am

rodders wrote:
marty2086 wrote:Who said Joe doesn't rate McCloskey? McCloskey is outplaying Farrell by a country mile at the minute

I thought it was fairly well known that Schmidt wasn't a fan.

There's a difference between not being a fan and not picking them because of deficiencies or lack of form

Im not saying he is but to say he isn't just makes the selection process seem like it's being done in the schoolyard

marty2086

Posts : 8203
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 31
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: Ireland November Tests.

Post by rodders on Wed 25 Oct 2017, 10:17 am

marty2086 wrote:
rodders wrote:
marty2086 wrote:Who said Joe doesn't rate McCloskey? McCloskey is outplaying Farrell by a country mile at the minute

I thought it was fairly well known that Schmidt wasn't a fan.

There's a difference between not being a fan and not picking them because of deficiencies or lack of form

Im not saying he is but to say he isn't just makes the selection process seem like it's being done in the schoolyard

I think there were concerns about McCloskeys attitude, defense and also throwing too many 50:50 offloads. He's had a haircut since so maybe all is forgiven.
avatar
rodders

Posts : 23967
Join date : 2011-05-20
Age : 36

Back to top Go down

Re: Ireland November Tests.

Post by marty2086 on Wed 25 Oct 2017, 10:18 am

The reverse Samson, the McCloskey

marty2086

Posts : 8203
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 31
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: Ireland November Tests.

Post by the-goon on Wed 25 Oct 2017, 10:20 am

When will the squad be announced? Wales and Scotland have theirs up.

the-goon

Posts : 647
Join date : 2011-05-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Ireland November Tests.

Post by geoff999rugby on Wed 25 Oct 2017, 3:19 pm

rodders wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
rodders wrote:
marty2086 wrote:Who said Joe doesn't rate McCloskey? McCloskey is outplaying Farrell by a country mile at the minute

I thought it was fairly well known that Schmidt wasn't a fan.

There's a difference between not being a fan and not picking them because of deficiencies or lack of form

Im not saying he is but to say he isn't just makes the selection process seem like it's being done in the schoolyard

I think there were concerns about McCloskeys attitude, defense and also throwing too many 50:50 offloads. He's had a haircut since so maybe all is forgiven.

What questions about his attitude ????????????

Too many off loads - the criticism last year was he didn't offload - talk about 'you cant win' !!!!!!!!!!!

Even defence has improved this year - in part because we have dropped the painting by numbers defence of Les Kiss

geoff999rugby

Posts : 2978
Join date : 2012-01-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Ireland November Tests.

Post by Pot Hale on Wed 25 Oct 2017, 8:07 pm

geoff999rugby wrote:Give Aki 2 mins, against Fiji, to tie him to Ireland - we do it all the time

On current form McCloskey, Scannell and Marshall are all miles ahead of Aki
As I have said before I not sure Farrell is even capable of that level of form

In case I caused confusion, I was referring to Tom Farrell offloads playing with Connacht.
avatar
Pot Hale

Posts : 5163
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 55
Location : Dublhkining

Back to top Go down

Re: Ireland November Tests.

Post by Pot Hale on Wed 25 Oct 2017, 8:10 pm

the-goon wrote:When will the squad be announced? Wales and Scotland have theirs up.

I reckon on Sunday after the Interpros. Expect squads to be brimful of IQ players - as few foreign players as possible.
avatar
Pot Hale

Posts : 5163
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 55
Location : Dublhkining

Back to top Go down

Re: Ireland November Tests.

Post by Marshes on Wed 25 Oct 2017, 8:57 pm

I think it is being announced tomorrow actually

Marshes

Posts : 807
Join date : 2012-11-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Ireland November Tests.

Post by Pot Hale on Thu 26 Oct 2017, 12:44 am

Marshes wrote:I think it is being announced tomorrow actually

You’re right Marshes - my mistake.
avatar
Pot Hale

Posts : 5163
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 55
Location : Dublhkining

Back to top Go down

Re: Ireland November Tests.

Post by Marshes on Thu 26 Oct 2017, 10:59 am

Pot Hale wrote:
Marshes wrote:I think it is being announced tomorrow actually

You’re right Marshes - my mistake.

No worries! On a side note, I'm hoping the competition in the backline does not push out O Halloran, he has been brilliant for Connacht last two seasons and on the Ireland summer tour. If there is no Kearney or Payne, Henshaw is in the centre, and Zebo is out of the picture, then I hope O Halloran is given a chance to show his ability from full back.

Also I'm backing a McCloskey/Henshaw partnership for centre. I think the flak it got from fans and management was ridiculous for a first outing, I thought it was one of the most threatening our backline has looked, and it was against an Eddie Jones team that hasn't until this Six Nations against us (and not since).

Marshes

Posts : 807
Join date : 2012-11-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Ireland November Tests.

Post by eirebilly on Thu 26 Oct 2017, 1:12 pm

Why is Zebo out of the picture? He still plays for Munster.
avatar
eirebilly

Posts : 22251
Join date : 2011-02-09
Age : 46
Location : Holland

Back to top Go down

Re: Ireland November Tests.

Post by marty2086 on Thu 26 Oct 2017, 1:58 pm

eirebilly wrote:Why is Zebo out of the picture? He still plays for Munster.

No one said he was, they said IF...

He may still play for Munster but theres a good argument to be made for not picking him as to do so would be short termism when you can blood someone new who could be in Japan in 2 years time which Zebo won't be

marty2086

Posts : 8203
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 31
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: Ireland November Tests.

Post by Pot Hale on Thu 26 Oct 2017, 2:23 pm

marty2086 wrote:
eirebilly wrote:Why is Zebo out of the picture? He still plays for Munster.

No one said he was, they said IF...

He may still play for Munster but theres a good argument to be made for not picking him as to do so would be short termism when you can blood someone new who could be in Japan in 2 years time which Zebo won't be

If has left the building. Zebo not selected.
avatar
Pot Hale

Posts : 5163
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 55
Location : Dublhkining

Back to top Go down

Re: Ireland November Tests.

Post by Pot Hale on Thu 26 Oct 2017, 2:24 pm

Four Uncapped Players In Ireland's Guinness Series Squad

The Ireland coaching group has named a 38 player squad that includes four uncapped players for the Guinness Series 2017 which sees Ireland take on South Africa, Fiji and Argentina in the Aviva Stadium in November.
The four uncapped players are Bundee Aki, Adam Byrne, Chris Farrell and Darren Sweetnam.

The South Africa fixture on Saturday 11th November is a sell-out but there are limited tickets available for Fiji (45,000+ sold) and Argentina (50,000+ sold).

Ireland face the Springboks for the first time since the 2015 Summer Tour where they recorded a first ever victory on South African soil at Newlands but ultimately lost the series decider.

Earlier this month the Springboks came within a point of beating the All Blacks in their final game of this year's Rugby Championship having twice drawn with Australia and recorded victories home and away against the Pumas.

The Bok squad will be led by the 63 time capped lock Eben Etzebeth with their full European tour travelling party set to be named after the Currie Cup final.

Fiji come to Ireland as the reigning Pacific Nations Cup champions and have secured qualification for Rugby World Cup 2019 by virtue of being the top team in the region over the course of the past two seasons.

There are a number of familiar names within their squad such as Newcastle Falcons' Vereniki Goneva, Racing 92's Leone Nakarawa and Toulon's Josua Tuisova while Montpellier's Nemani Nadolo could also feature for the Flying Fijians.

The final game of the Guinness Series sees Ireland square off against Argentina. The two sides have not met since the Rugby World Cup quarter-final in Cardiff in October 2015.

The Pumas have recently added Mario Ledesma to their backroom team. The hooker who was capped 84 times for his country joins from the Wallabies backroom team and played under Ireland head coach Joe Schmidt at Clermont Auvergne.

Ireland Head Coach, Joe Schmidt, commented, "In what we anticipate will be an incredibly physical Guinness Series plenty will be demanded of the squad.

We have retained a core of experienced players but have also included a number of promising players that we hope will acquit themselves well."

Ireland Squad - Guinness Series 2017

FORWARDS (21)
Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster) Captain104 caps
Jack Conan (Old Belvedere/Leinster) 4 caps
Ultan Dillane (Corinthians/Connacht) 10 caps
Tadhg Furlong (Clontarf/Leinster) 16 caps
Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster) 70 caps
Iain Henderson (Ballynahinch/Ulster) 32 caps
Rob Herring (Ballynahinch/Ulster) 1 cap
Dave Kilcoyne (UL Bohemians/Munster) 20 caps
Dan Leavy (UCD/Leinster) 4 caps
Jack McGrath (St Mary's College/Leinster) 41 caps
Sean O'Brien (UCD/Leinster) 49 caps
Tommy O'Donnell (UL Bohemians/Munster) 12 caps
Peter O'Mahony (Cork Constitution/Munster) 40 caps
Andrew Porter (UCD/Leinster) 2 caps
Rhys Ruddock (St Mary's College/Leinster) 16 caps
James Ryan (UCD/Leinster) 2 caps
John Ryan (Cork Constitution/Munster) 9 caps
CJ Stander (Shannon/Munster) 15 caps
Devin Toner (Lansdowne/Leinster) 50 caps
James Tracey (UCD/Leinster) 4 caps
Kieran Treadwell (Ballymena/Ulster) 2 caps

BACKS (17)
Bundee Aki (Galwegians/Connacht) uncapped
Adam Byrne (UCD/Leinster) uncapped
Joey Carbery (Clontarf/Leinster) 4 caps
Andrew Conway (Garryowen/Munster) 3 caps
Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster) 62 caps
Chris Farrell (Young Munster/Munster) uncapped
Robbie Henshaw (Buccaneers/Leinster) 29 caps
Dave Kearney (Lansdowne/Leinster) 16 caps
Rob Kearney (UCD/Leinster) 76 caps
Ian Keatley (Young Munster/Munster) 5 caps
Kieran Marmion (Corinthians/Connacht) 16 caps
Stuart McCloskey (Bangor/UIster) 1 cap
Luke McGrath (UCD/Leinster) 4 caps
Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster) 57 caps
Johnny Sexton (St Mary's College/Leinster) 66 caps
Jacob Stockdale (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster) 2 caps
Darren Sweetnam (Cork Constitution/Munster) uncapped


Last edited by Pot Hale on Thu 26 Oct 2017, 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Pot Hale

Posts : 5163
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 55
Location : Dublhkining

Back to top Go down

Re: Ireland November Tests.

Post by marty2086 on Thu 26 Oct 2017, 2:27 pm

Pot Hale wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
eirebilly wrote:Why is Zebo out of the picture? He still plays for Munster.

No one said he was, they said IF...

He may still play for Munster but theres a good argument to be made for not picking him as to do so would be short termism when you can blood someone new who could be in Japan in 2 years time which Zebo won't be

If has left the building.  Zebo not selected.

Wonder if he'll pull a Rhys Webb and claim he didn't know moving to France would affect his international selection Whistle

marty2086

Posts : 8203
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 31
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: Ireland November Tests.

Post by carpet baboon on Thu 26 Oct 2017, 2:28 pm

I enjoyed the lead into the main article there pot.
Kept me on the edge of my seat.

carpet baboon

Posts : 1420
Join date : 2014-05-08
Location : Midlands

Back to top Go down

Re: Ireland November Tests.

Post by the-goon on Thu 26 Oct 2017, 2:29 pm

no Luke Marshall, no Scannell bros, no Zebo.

the-goon

Posts : 647
Join date : 2011-05-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Ireland November Tests.

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 15 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 15  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum