The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

IRFU Annual Report

+5
Kingshu
Pot Hale
marty2086
Sin é
PhilBB
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

IRFU Annual Report - Page 2 Empty IRFU Annual Report

Post by PhilBB Fri 14 Jul - 14:11

First topic message reminder :

Fair play to the IRFU for, yet again, investing in its supply chain and, on this occasion, being prepared to go into deficit in order to sustain the professional game.

If only the WRU had the governance set up, and the subsequent strength of the Executive, in order to do the same.
PhilBB
PhilBB

http://www.cardiffrfcfans.co.uk

Back to top Go down

IRFU Annual Report - Page 2 Empty Re: IRFU Annual Report

Post by marty2086 Tue 18 Jul - 13:54

I've not tried to weasel out of anything as you claim, I've clearly asked you for a number that you consider to be worthy of being considered a fraction and funnily enough no answer. Funny that.

I've also previously stated that there was a need to make up for the difference in attendances but I'm just weaselling here Rolling Eyes

You say it's the life blood, there's truth to that and in the lean times it will sustain you but the real truth is that in the modern era the tv revenue, sponsorship, prize money, merchandising and everything else are of as much importance.

Ireland played 5 games at the Aviva last season, so are you telling me that makes generates enough in ticket sales to sustain the IRFU?

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Tue 18 Jul - 13:58

marty2086 wrote:I've not tried to weasel out of anything as you claim, I've clearly asked you for a number that you consider to be worthy of being considered a fraction and funnily enough no answer. Funny that.

I've also previously stated that there was a need to make up for the difference in attendances but I'm just weaselling here Rolling Eyes

You say it's the life blood, there's truth to that and in the lean times it will sustain you but the real truth is that in the modern era the tv revenue, sponsorship, prize money, merchandising and everything else are of as much importance.

Ireland played 5 games at the Aviva last season, so are you telling me that makes generates enough in ticket sales to sustain the IRFU?

If they are of "as much importance" then they, too, are "fractions".

Wriggle wriggle weasel
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Tue 18 Jul - 14:06

marty2086 wrote:

By the way, one of the 5 games was against Canada which was nearly 10k short of a sell out

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Tue 18 Jul - 15:28

marty2086 wrote:I've not tried to weasel out of anything as you claim, I've clearly asked you for a number that you consider to be worthy of being considered a fraction and funnily enough no answer. Funny that.

You didn't clearly ask me for a number that I consider to be a fraction.  You were employing weasel words trying to re-interpret the normal use of the often-used phrase "a fraction of a value/cost/etc". For example, PRO12 TV monies are only a fraction of the overall income for the IRFU.

The only question you asked was wanting to know what percentage do ticket sales comprise of total income.   A fact you should work out for yourself before deciding to throw away the shovel and get out the keys of the JCB.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Tue 18 Jul - 15:44

marty2086 wrote:Is it less than 45%?40%? That qualifies it as a fraction

so you were saying?

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 18 Jul - 15:46

A small part of. Depends whether you feel almost half is small.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Tue 18 Jul - 17:00

Keep going, chaps, and soon you'll reach the stage where Martyn has to claim to ignore you in order to save his own self esteem.
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by wolfball Tue 18 Jul - 18:09

marty2086 wrote:
marty2086 wrote:Is it less than 45%?40%? That qualifies it as a fraction

so you were saying?

Marty, LD isn't wrong here. The Aviva is small by Tier 1 rugby standards. Its where we are and why non-gate solutions may well be more important for us than the WRU. Its a minor point to concede anyways? In general I think you have the right side of the facts in your bickering with LD, but when you don't, just admit it and move on with the conversation.

wolfball

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Tue 18 Jul - 21:16

He has stated the Aviva needs looked at, he was told numerous times it wasn't possible and was even told that for the IRFU to have a bigger stadium they'd have to sell a stadium they spent over 400m on less than a decade ago and build yet another one outside Dublin but still kept saying that was the only solution.

I don't dispute it's small and something the size of Croke Park would be great but NZ, Australia and SA all use similar sized stadiums at times. ANZ and Ellis Park are the only stadiums that are over 5k bigger.

What I do dispute is that the IRFU can't survive without having a bigger stadium. NZ are more than capable of surviving with a similar sized stadium in Eden Park plus paying for the players and coaches of 5 franchises and the ABs and other teams. The IRFU on the other hand merely contribute to the 4 provinces plus the representative teams.

If Im not mistaken, the IRFU set their annual budgets based on on finishing 4th in the 6Ns every year not based on attendance figures.

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 19 Jul - 8:30

marty2086 wrote:He has stated the Aviva needs looked at, he was told numerous times it wasn't possible and was even told that for the IRFU to have a bigger stadium they'd have to sell a stadium they spent over 400m on less than a decade ago and build yet another one outside Dublin but still kept saying that was the only solution

No I have not. Please quote me in saying this, without manipulating my posts as always.

marty2086 wrote:I don't dispute it's small and something the size of Croke Park would be great but NZ, Australia and SA all use similar sized stadiums at times. ANZ and Ellis Park are the only stadiums that are over 5k bigger.

Their stadiums are not big enough either.

marty2086 wrote:What I do dispute is that the IRFU can't survive without having a bigger stadium.

I never said this. I said going forward in the professional era, that the Aviva is not big enough to help sustain the union. That's not to say you could get better sponsorship deals, or a better TV deal or something. But the fact that you have the smallest stadium in the 6N it will always hamstring you.

marty2086 wrote: NZ are more than capable of surviving with a similar sized stadium in Eden Park plus paying for the players and coaches of 5 franchises and the ABs and other teams.

So that's why New Zealand are always on the moan about having a bigger share of the ticket sales from the AI's. Their stadiums are not big enough either.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Wed 19 Jul - 9:23

I'd love it if the Aviva was bigger as well, it would certainly make getting tickets for the 6 nations easier.
But due to its location, its capacity cannot be increased, it was designed with the Max capacity it could have. The IRFU are not in a position to be able to build a newer bigger stadium elsewhere.

There must have been a lot of talk was a 51,700 capacity stadium with the Football Association of Ireland (FAI) in the city center where it can host concerts, etc, able to produce more income than a solely owned 80,000 capacity stadium outside Dublin, and could the IRFU even afford this option?

I'm sure they weighted it up and went with what was best. I wish that the residents had allowed a 80,000 stadium, but thats wishful thinking.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 19 Jul - 9:53

Kingshu wrote:I'd love it if the Aviva was bigger as well, it would certainly make getting tickets for the 6 nations easier.

It is a shame, as obviously the demand is there. I remember when the WRU were re-building the Arms Park, they too had the same issues as what was had in Dublin, but they came up with an ingenious idea. The moved the stadium around 180 degrees and instead of building up, they built down.

I have also heard talk of transforming the one stand behind the goals from a two tier to a three tier stand. This would put I think about an extra 10,000 seats in the PS.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 19 Jul - 10:15

The only mistake made with the Aviva is that the pitch isn't big enough to accommodate GAA. If it was, in a couple of years time (after Rugby World Cup in 2023), the intelligent thing would be to move Dublin/Leinster GAA League games to the Aviva in the Spring and the IRFU to use Croke Park for the games with most demand for tickets.

A city the size of Dublin really can't afford two 80K stadiums when there are a lot of homeless people.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Wed 19 Jul - 10:23

Kingshu wrote:I'd love it if the Aviva was bigger as well, it would certainly make getting tickets for the 6 nations easier.
But due to its location, its capacity cannot be increased, it was designed with the Max capacity it could have. The IRFU are not in a position to be able to build a newer bigger stadium elsewhere.

There must have been a lot of talk was a 51,700 capacity stadium with the Football Association of Ireland (FAI)  in the city center where it can host concerts, etc, able to produce more income than a solely owned 80,000 capacity stadium outside Dublin, and could the IRFU even afford this option?

I'm sure they weighted it up and went with what was best. I wish that the residents had allowed a 80,000 stadium, but thats wishful thinking.

I wonder what they consider the lifespan of the Aviva is, the agreement with the FAI to share the stadium I think was for about 50 years. If the game grows further in Ireland and especially with programmes to take it into new areas and if the RWC comes to Ireland that could be a catalyst then the demand could really grow.

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2