The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The new season is near - What are you looking for?

+17
HongKongCherry
Poorfour
Biltong
SirBurger
RDW
beshocked
Blueschief
munkian
wayne
mikey_dragon
yappysnap
Maine man
Pot Hale
LondonTiger
ScarletSpiderman
Scottrf
Geordie
21 posters

Go down

The new season is near - What are you looking for? Empty The new season is near - What are you looking for?

Post by Geordie Tue 25 Jul 2017, 1:09 pm

Well the season is not far away....

What are you looking for ?

1. Player/s to watch?
Either in the league, or at your club. New signings or established club player who you are looking to push on or stay injury free etc? Academy lads?

2. What about your team?
Are you looking for improvements anywhere..ie efficiency at try scoring or more consistent defence etc etc?

3. Whats your Hopes for the season?
Position in the league? Are you targeting a league win? Should you be targeting a final spot in any of the cups...maybe the Anglo Welsh or the European Cup etc?

Anything else?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

The new season is near - What are you looking for? Empty Re: The new season is near - What are you looking for?

Post by Scottrf Tue 25 Jul 2017, 1:39 pm

Saints
1. Francis and Horne. Would also like more rotation in the props.
2. Try scoring has improved since January so looking at defense and fitness/closing out games.
3. Top 4 and getting out of Champions Cup group would be a success.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

The new season is near - What are you looking for? Empty Re: The new season is near - What are you looking for?

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 25 Jul 2017, 3:17 pm

Bit of a harsh thread, seeing as none of the Pro12/14 fans can really comment until we know what is going on. Whistle
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 25 Jul 2017, 3:22 pm

1) Ellis Genge, George Ford, Matt Toomua
2) Just want to watch decent rugby. Sure wins are great, but driving 200 miles every other week and spending a small fortune to boot it needs to be enjoyable.
3) top 4 and 1/4 finals of Europe would be a success.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Tue 25 Jul 2017, 7:36 pm

A game.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Maine man Tue 25 Jul 2017, 8:44 pm

Ulster
Was going to say Olding if he can get fit but he's got other things to worry about now. Stockdale has huge potential to be a star for Ireland IMO.

Have a competitive back row. But saying that it looks like we need a fly half now!

Prior to Jackson and Olding getting relieved of their duties, I would have said possibly challenging for the pro 12/14 and getting out of the group in Europe would be a success but now, who knows.

Maine man

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 25 Jul 2017, 8:46 pm

Quins:

1) looking for one of our 10's to claim the shirt. Specific players I guess good seasons from Horwill, Marchant and Roberts.

2) need big improvements in defense and for us to show more composure. Last season we made so many errors ball in hand.

3) Top 6 in the Jeff and win some home games in Europe

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 26 Jul 2017, 10:06 am

The beginning of the season is what I'm looking for the most.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Wed 26 Jul 2017, 11:05 am

Basically 1) I want a more consistent season, unlike the last 3 or 4 seasons, where it has been either boom or bust.
2) A decent 7 either to be signed, or a surprise comes through from the Academy.
3) Tandy and Clarke come to their senses and realise Rhodri Jones will make a pretty decent loose head prop, and get shot of this experiment that he will make a tight head.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 26 Jul 2017, 11:28 am

A fixture list would be a good start.

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Blueschief Wed 26 Jul 2017, 11:31 am

Cardiff to finish in top 6 or top half of their conference.

Nick Williams to stay injury free and find top form.

Dan Fish to return and Rhun Williams to recover quickly.

Matthew Morgan to stay out of the team.

Dillon Lewis and Kieron Assirati to have blinding seasons.

Blueschief

Back to top Go down

Post by Blueschief Wed 26 Jul 2017, 11:32 am

Edit: double post.

Blueschief

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 26 Jul 2017, 11:35 am

Seems to be a fair bit of positivity from Cardiff fans for the upcoming season.

I do like a laugh Smile
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Blueschief Wed 26 Jul 2017, 11:39 am

Ah well. We can dream.

Blueschief

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 26 Jul 2017, 12:22 pm

1. So many - but difficult to know who will make the biggest impact as the competition for positions is fierce.

I guess the youngsters I am most interested to see if they can make a breakthrough are Isiekwe, Earle,Tompkins and Spencer.

Also whether Fraser can stay fit and challenge for that 7 shirt.

There's of course the big names too like Skelton and L.Williams. I've heard positive things about Tolofua too.

2. I think it will have to be striving to improve work at the breakdown, need to generate more quick ball. 9s need to speed up service too IMO. Someone taking on the role as primary try finisher.

3.Defending European title will be the objective, getting to the playoffs in the league, ideally top 2 of course.

Continuing to develop and build strength in depth. It could be just as crucial unearthing some new top players.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 26 Jul 2017, 3:43 pm

Edinburgh

1 - big season expected for back row Magnus Bradbury - he's broken through into the first team but now needs to provide he can put in consistent performances. Also a big season for Cornel Du Preez - he's not been the same since a serious ankle injury and would love to see him back to his best.

2 - consistency. We are a team that beats Stade Francais away from home but also loses to Zebre at home. We have the ability to beat anyone on our day but can't string together 2 good performances in a row. Hopefully Cockerill will install a hard edge and better mentality, which should lead to better consistency.

3 - I'd like us to be in the mix for Champions Cup qualification as we approach the end of the season, giving us something to play for. A Challenge Cup run is good to boost moral (especially when the league campaign is going badly) but we really need to do better in the league.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by SirBurger Wed 26 Jul 2017, 3:52 pm

1. Player/s to watch?
Last season we were largely solid and played some good stuff. We sorted out our defence (admittedly against weaker opposition) and were strong in the set-piece and goal-kicking. In order to stay up, however, we will also need to add a bit more magic. The wingers Lewington, Cokanasiga and Nalaga will all need to provide a bit of X-factor. Winning the gain-line will also be crucial so we are hoping for big things from new Georgian back-rower Lasha Lomidze, whilst I also wouldn't be surprised if one of Senitiki Nayalo or Isaac Curtis-Harris has a breakthrough season in that regard.

2. What about your team?
Our defence will need to be infinitely better than last time we were in the Premiership. Last season it dramatically improved, although worryingly it disintegrated again in the biggest (closest to Prem standard) game of the season. Let's put that down to nerves. The other area of concern is the second row. De Chaves will cope just fine (as Leicester fans will know), but he lacks sufficient support/back-up.

3. Whats your Hopes for the season?
Honestly, I am just happy to be back. I would take 11th place at this stage. We could well surprise a few teams as we have some very underrated players, but the league is so strong. Staying up by a point would do me.

SirBurger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 07 Aug 2017, 10:09 am

Would like to see our pack really front up this season, and play with real fire and aggression to then give the ball to our first choice backline.

Want to see our first choice backline remain fit and see the ball.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 07 Aug 2017, 10:46 am

Would like to see the Cheetahs and Kings just at least have competitive squads for the first season.

Hope SARU comes through with the goods for them.

If they finish mid table at least placed 4th in their conference for the first season then they will feel their chances will be lot better next season.

Also looking forward to watch the Pro 14 with teams from SA, makes the competition relevant to us rugby loving public
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Mon 07 Aug 2017, 3:17 pm

yappysnap wrote:Quins:

1) looking for one of our 10's to claim the shirt. Specific players I guess good seasons from Horwill, Marchant and Roberts.

2) need big improvements in defense and for us to show more composure. Last season we made so many errors ball in hand.

3) Top 6 in the Jeff and win some home games in Europe

I'd take a slightly different tack:

1) I'd be happy with having no overall dominant fly half as long as we have one who can play well in different types of game. More important for me is for us to get a consistent centre pairing who can stay fit for more than one game at a time. Saili could be key to that. I'd also like to see Marchant, Clifford and Baby Chisholm build on their undoubted promise.

2) I'm comfortable with what Quins are trying to do, having seen John Kingston present on his strategy. But I would hope that with more time for it to bed in, we'll see improvement in execution.

3) I would like to see Quins in the hunt for Top 4 at the end of the season, but I'm realistic about how competitive the AP is. Would be nice to be in with a shout at a Champions Cup QF at the end of the pool stages (but it's a tough pool).
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Mon 07 Aug 2017, 4:36 pm

Glaws

1. Player/s to watch?
Jonny May and Carl Fearns

2. What about your team?
After 3 years of consistency, Laurie Fisher's tactics yields dividends

3. Whats your hopes for the season?
The significant investment from Altrad builds a strong foundation for continued future success

Sad Sad Sad furious furious furious

I'm normally pretty bullish in pre-season, but anything above 12th place will be a miracle.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Mon 07 Aug 2017, 5:17 pm

Wuss

1. Player/s to watch?
Teo and Hougaard but hope that some of our other players can build on last year's development (by our standards) and that Stringer can cover Hougaard during his numerous absences. Interested to see how the new boys Denton and Waller go and hope that Heathcote has a more straightforward season which allows him to get some rhythm.

2. What about your team
Please not another season where we're in a dogfight at the bottom for the whole time. Wuss to start picking up more bonus points in the can't win matches and close out a few more matches than last season rather than let winnable matches slip away.

3. Whats your hopes for the season
A respectable showing in all matches and any improvement on last seasons final position.

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 07 Aug 2017, 5:28 pm

Tigers

1. George Ford, Jonny May, Will Evans.

2. More consistency at set-piece. A backline that consistently offers more threat than a toddler wielding a plastic spoon.

3. Top 4 minimum given the changes in playing staff. Breaking into the top 3 would be a big improvement. QF in Europe would be a success.

Much will likely depend on key players staying fit...

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 07 Aug 2017, 5:36 pm

Tigers

1. George Ford, Jonny May, Will Evans.

2. More consistency at set-piece. A backline that consistently offers more threat than a toddler wielding a plastic spoon.

3. Top 4 minimum given the changes in playing staff. Breaking into the top 3 would be a big improvement. QF in Europe would be a success.

Much will likely depend on key players staying fit...

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Mon 07 Aug 2017, 6:15 pm

A massive pick me up. The Ospreys ended the season with such a whimper it was embarrassing and a all time new low. The lack of summer recruitment for the back row hasn't improved my mood but Tandy HAS to realise his game plans and selections cannot continue as before given the new league structure and other team's improvements. It wouldn't be a surprise the Ospreys end up worst region at the end of 17/18...
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Smudge21 Wed 09 Aug 2017, 12:14 pm

Irish
1. Alex lewington - Absolutely electric and was in great form after his injury last year, needs to stay fit. Also new signing Lasha Lomidze is a promising number 8 who we hope will add ball carrying ability to the pack.
2. I just hope our defence can hold up and that we stay competitive in matches. Need a lot more composure when scoring opportunities come about too.
3. Staying up is all we want, anything else is a bonus

Smudge21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down