The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tim Bradley set to retire at 34

+5
Happytravelling
Mr Bounce
BoxingFan88
TheSquaredCircle
wheelchair1991
9 posters

Go down

Tim Bradley set to retire at 34 Empty Tim Bradley set to retire at 34

Post by wheelchair1991 Fri 28 Jul 2017, 6:08 am

Looks like Tim Bradley is ready to call it quits after a long and distinguished career. He has mentioned in the past how after the war with Provodnikov in 2013(my favourite Tim Bradley fight) he has slurred speech for weeks after and generally couldn't get his marbles together for a period of time. He has fought 6 times since then, but he and his wife Monica(who also manages Bradley) have been considering his retirement since that time.

He was a 2 weight world champion and always seemed one of the better guys in the sport to me. I have a lot of respect for anyone who steps in the ring for our entertainment. I hope Tim enjoys a very happy, healthy and long retirement and resists the urge to come back!

Favourite memories of Tim Bradley? Where does he rank for you?

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Tim Bradley set to retire at 34 Empty Re: Tim Bradley set to retire at 34

Post by TheSquaredCircle Fri 28 Jul 2017, 8:44 am

Some memories, none of them favourite..........
The army, lucky against manny 1, semi-silly show of bravado against provodnikov and sparing use of his head........and not much else really.

TheSquaredCircle

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri 28 Jul 2017, 8:47 am

Still he fought everyone and only lost to one man

His style wasn't the greatest, but I'm glad he is going out at the right time, good commentator as well, so hopefully he keeps that up with Top Rank

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Fri 28 Jul 2017, 10:51 pm

I think Bradley was underrated. He wasn't the easiest sell - fast and tricky but with no great power. Still, I remember the first time I saw him fight which was when he took Witter's WBC Light-Welter title. I was round at a friend's house and we were all impressed with Bradley's desire more than anything else - he came to win whilst Witter seemed to think he only had to turn up.

You can't be that bad if you only lose to a Future Hall of Famer - and lets not forget he took to "0s" of Alexander, Vargas and Peterson. Here's to a long and happy retirement with all faculties intact. OK clap

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Happytravelling Fri 28 Jul 2017, 11:11 pm

I agree bounce.

He wasn't amazing at anything in particular but very good all round. Also lacked a bit of power. So, is underrated, like most fighters like him.

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Sat 29 Jul 2017, 2:12 pm

Good fighter Bradley. Only lost to PACMAN twice(three times). And the draw to Chaves was a clear win for Bradley. So 33/3 beat Alexander, Marquez etc.

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Mon 31 Jul 2017, 1:59 pm

Nathaniel Jacobs wrote:Good fighter Bradley. Only lost to PACMAN twice(three times). And the draw to Chaves was a clear win for Bradley. So 33/3 beat Alexander, Marquez etc.

If only boxing was that black and white.

Retired with one loss.

End of story. Good fighter, wouldnt say HOF but up there with the "good" bunch over the years.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Mon 31 Jul 2017, 6:51 pm

Agree with the above

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 01 Aug 2017, 9:00 am

Remember when he beat witter, Hatton fans were laughing at witter losing to a no-mark. I remember thinking he looked a good fighter then and was laughed out of town for suggesting he'd have given Hatton a real fight.

Looking back, I think most would now have him as favourite over Ricky had they met.

Not a crowd pleasing style or personality that's kept him largely out of the limelight but proven himself a very useful fighter. I'm not sure how his marbles are but if he has got away with them largely intact then he has a career to be proud of and a well-earned retirement to enjoy.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 01 Aug 2017, 1:58 pm

Always had a lot of time for Bradley, and I was in the stands when he came this side of the pond with an entourage of about two and took Witter's title off him. Was impressed with his attitude and application then, and remained so throughout his career.

The only regret for me is that we never got that elusive Bradley-Khan fight at 140 back in 2011, after Bradley had unified the WBO and WBC against Alexander and Khan had done those very impressive little numbers on Maidana and Judah to unify the WBA and IBF. I still value any fighter who can completely rubber-stamp his absolute dominance over any weight class, and 140 wasn't too shabby at that point.

But alas, 147 had a couple of huge names on offer, so off Tim went. Given that the back end of 2011 was when Khan's career suddenly started hitting the skids, a slump from which he's never really recovered, most would probably say Bradley made the right call, all things considered, but still a fight I'd have loved to see.

The Pacquiao fights showed that he's in the very, very good rather than great category, but it's a very fine CV and, despite a tendency to stink the place out now and then, his war with Provodnikov was awesome to watch and his performance against Marquez was superb.

Job well done, Tim. Enjoy your retirement.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down