The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Silly Season Transfer Rumours 17/18

+64
Welly
Sgt_Pooly
LondonTiger
SirBurger
VinceWLB
mikey_dragon
yappysnap
Hazel Sapling
RiscaGame
TightHEAD
George Carlin
Pot Hale
Geordie
Maine man
Rugby Fan
propdavid_london
Heaf
Margin_Walker
lostinwales
king_carlos
B91212
englishborn
Recwatcher16
doctor_grey
SecretFly
rosbif
Mr Bounce
ChequeredJersey
BigTrevsbigmac
Cumbrian
broadlandboy
Cardiff Dave
dragon4life
XR
ScarletSpiderman
Collapse2005
LeinsterFan4life
carpet baboon
boomeranga
chris_501
mid_gen
Heaf2
whocares
Ozzy3213
wayne
nathan
LordDowlais
Fluxy
Exiledinborders
Scottrf
munkian
BamBam
BigGee
geoff999rugby
Luckless Pedestrian
Welshmushroom
prop_lyd
Seagultaf
No 7&1/2
HongKongCherry
beshocked
TheMildlyFranticLlama
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Stone Motif
68 posters

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down

Silly Season Transfer Rumours 17/18 - Page 3 Empty Silly Season Transfer Rumours 17/18

Post by George Carlin Sun 30 Jul 2017, 7:15 am

First topic message reminder :

New season, new thread.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Silly Season Transfer Rumours 17/18 - Page 3 Empty Re: Silly Season Transfer Rumours 17/18

Post by munkian Thu 10 Aug 2017, 10:08 am

Dragons have signed Barry Maddocks as a skills coach from Bath.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Silly Season Transfer Rumours 17/18 - Page 3 Empty Re: Silly Season Transfer Rumours 17/18

Post by HongKongCherry Thu 10 Aug 2017, 11:53 am

SirBurger wrote:Ackermann is a 6/8 - him at 7 and Moriarty at 6 would be very physical. I imagine that he has been signed as a 6 to replace Moriarty when he leaves next season.

He was signed to replace Fearns. He'll need a rest before starting, but Moriarty is still injured, so I hope they don't fast track him into the side.

Moriarty won't leave Glaws, our top players don't do that... Rolling Eyes
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Thu 10 Aug 2017, 11:59 am

Where has Fearns ended up? Is he coming back to the Prem or did he stay in France?

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Thu 10 Aug 2017, 12:02 pm

propdavid_london wrote:Where has Fearns ended up?  Is he coming back to the Prem or did he stay in France?

He's staying in France with Lyon

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 10 Aug 2017, 2:35 pm

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 10 Aug 2017, 2:42 pm

SirBurger wrote:Ackermann is a 6/8 - him at 7 and Moriarty at 6 would be very physical. I imagine that he has been signed as a 6 to replace Moriarty when he leaves next season.

Gloucester were actively trying to sign more muscle in the backrow, hence going after Fearns. Whether they'll play similar to England have have both flankers playing 6.5 or whether they'll rotate and have Rowan and Ludlow at 7 we'll find out as the season starts. It's certainly a more physical Gloucester outfit this season.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Thu 10 Aug 2017, 7:56 pm

So Charlie P is going to Bristol.

Wonder how many signings they have lined up for next season.

Tight 5 needs to have the biggest investment really.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 10 Aug 2017, 9:03 pm

Welly wrote:So Charlie P is going to Bristol.

Wonder how many signings they have lined up for next season.

Tight 5 needs to have the biggest investment really.

You'd have thought that would be the natural next move but they haven't really done it so far.

Backline of; Williams, Madigan, Varndell, Piatau, Hurrell, Morahan, Piatau would be very potent. Perhaps upgrade the 9 but as you say Welly they'll need to get them the ball to use.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Fri 11 Aug 2017, 9:09 am

So Piatau is going for £1m - Bristol have money to burn.

Ulster fans reckon he is over paid for less than half that - on 500 euro a year

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 11 Aug 2017, 9:12 am

Hope Bristol stay down. Shocking spending.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Fri 11 Aug 2017, 10:21 am

Piutau is brilliant to watch, but Bristol can do one

As bad as the petro dollar funded football teams

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Fri 11 Aug 2017, 11:06 am

BamBam wrote:Piutau is brilliant to watch, but Bristol can do one

I think that's a bit unfair. Assuming they are in the Jeff when CP arrives, they will be governed by the PRL cap rules, so they are entitled to spend this amount. Nevertheless, they can spend all they want on backs, but without a decent pack they stand no chance and at present their pack is well short of being of that standard and paying such a huge amount for a back will hinder their buying power elsewhere.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 11 Aug 2017, 11:10 am

HongKongCherry wrote:

I think that's a bit unfair.  Assuming they are in the Jeff when CP arrives, they will be governed by the PRL cap rules, so they are entitled to spend this amount.  Nevertheless, they can spend all they want on backs, but without a decent pack they stand no chance and at present their pack is well short of being of that standard and paying such a huge amount for a back will hinder their buying power elsewhere.
They will be spending £2.5m on 2 players + their coach?! The rest of the team will have to be terrible.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Fri 11 Aug 2017, 11:10 am

May be unfair, but I have no respect for teams in any sport that succeed purely due to the fact that they are billionaire's playthings

They're financially doped up to their eyeballs, if he pulls the plug then they'll be up the proverbial creek without a paddle

I hope you're right, and their pack is ground into dust by the rest of the league

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Fri 11 Aug 2017, 11:22 am

Scottrf wrote:
HongKongCherry wrote:

I think that's a bit unfair.  Assuming they are in the Jeff when CP arrives, they will be governed by the PRL cap rules, so they are entitled to spend this amount.  Nevertheless, they can spend all they want on backs, but without a decent pack they stand no chance and at present their pack is well short of being of that standard and paying such a huge amount for a back will hinder their buying power elsewhere.
They will be spending £2.5m on 2 players + their coach?! The rest of the team will have to be terrible.

Aren't you allowed one player outside the cap in the Aviva ?
Also I don't think the coaches salary is taken into account.

Any English fans confirm these points ?

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 11 Aug 2017, 11:23 am

geoff999rugby wrote:
Scottrf wrote:
HongKongCherry wrote:

Aren't you allowed one player outside the cap in the Aviva ?
Also I don't think the coaches salary is taken into account.

Any English fans confirm these points ?
Actually I forgot marquee. It's two marquee but coaches salary does count.

Cap seems pointless at this point. No clubs can afford it through their revenue.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Fri 11 Aug 2017, 11:35 am

Thanks for the info Scottrf

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Fri 11 Aug 2017, 11:39 am

I'm sure they'll be within the cap just as much as Saracens always were

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 11 Aug 2017, 12:36 pm

Are you sure about that Scott? As far as I know money spent on the coaches salary doesn't count unless they are player coaches.

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 12 Aug 2017, 7:07 pm

That's what I thought Fuzzy.

Shane Geraghty has signed for Stade Francais as a medical joker. Surprised to see he's only 30.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat 12 Aug 2017, 9:09 pm

Beeb confirms Christian Lealifano to Ulster

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/40905247

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 12 Aug 2017, 9:42 pm

lostinwales wrote:Beeb confirms Christian Lealifano to Ulster

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/40905247

Good signing for them and it means he gets some game time under his belt after coming back from illness. Be interesting to see if the rumour about it being a short term deal is true or not.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 12 Aug 2017, 10:09 pm

Just seen on Twitter that Bristol's COO has said about Piutau "When he played for the Blues he was averaging 1.5 tries a game, which shows what kind of quality he has got". His actual record at the Blues was a much less impressive 8 tries in 41 games, so ~0.2 tries a game. It's been suggested that there was originally a typo on his Wikipedia that incorrectly showed his points for Blues as 340 instead of 40.

He's obviously one of the finest backs in world Rugby, so the big offer was always coming, but it's hilarious to imagine that hundreds of thousands could have been spent on the back of a Wikipedia typo. At the very least if you're spending £1m a year on a player you should probably be sure of their stats.

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 13 Aug 2017, 7:40 am

Speaking of the Blues, Steven Luatua has said on the record that Brizzle are basically doubling his salary in comparison to what his domestic franchise were offering him.

As people have said, basically the whole affair is in the sh!t if they don't stay up in the Jeff.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 13 Aug 2017, 8:15 am

George Carlin wrote:Speaking of the Blues, Steven Luatua has said on the record that Brizzle are basically doubling his salary in comparison to what his domestic franchise were offering him.

As people have said, basically the whole affair is in the sh!t if they don't stay up in the Jeff.

They didn't stay up last season and spent more money. They've got a millionaire backer so he's footing the bill. Same as Sarries. Personally I'd like to see a financial fair play system where there's a limited amount of money the club can receive from its owner and only so much money they are allowed to lose (as well as the salary cap).

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 13 Aug 2017, 9:32 am

Isn't it one of the Hargreaves Lansdowne owners that are pumping money into Bristol? I went for an interview there a few years back, the office is in a tidy location.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 14 Aug 2017, 1:19 pm

Fuzzy Dunlop wrote:Just seen on Twitter that Bristol's COO has said about Piutau "When he played for the Blues he was averaging 1.5 tries a game, which shows what kind of quality he has got". His actual record at the Blues was a much less impressive 8 tries in 41 games, so ~0.2 tries a game. It's been suggested that there was originally a typo on his Wikipedia that incorrectly showed his points for Blues as 340 instead of 40.

He's obviously one of the finest backs in world Rugby, so the big offer was always coming, but it's hilarious to imagine that hundreds of thousands could have been spent on the back of a Wikipedia typo. At the very least if you're spending £1m a year on a player you should probably be sure of their stats.

Piutau's agent with some quality Wikipedia skills there! Laugh

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 14 Aug 2017, 1:20 pm

Quins might be on the lookout for a flanker as Wallace is out for the season with a dislocated hip (ouch).

Perhaps Western Force might have someone going cheap

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 14 Aug 2017, 1:59 pm

FVinceWLB wrote:
Seagultaf wrote:Halfpenny just signed for Scarlets!

Nhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/40773723

Everyone will go nuts about this signing.. but i'm not really sure Halfpenny will be great value for money as i don't think he is much of an attacking threat and this wouldn't fit with the style and speed Scarlets are playing at, McNichol looked the real deal towards the end of last season.. Still think Scarlets should have focused their efforts in signing an out and out eightman.

So, I've given it some time and, as I suspected, people aren't really going nuts for Halfpenny signing for the Scarlets. Wales Online are probably all moist about it but I don't read that site. Haven't seen much fanfare elsewhere to be honest.

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Mon 14 Aug 2017, 2:59 pm

Griff wrote:
FVinceWLB wrote:
Seagultaf wrote:Halfpenny just signed for Scarlets!

Nhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/40773723

Everyone will go nuts about this signing.. but i'm not really sure Halfpenny will be great value for money as i don't think he is much of an attacking threat and this wouldn't fit with the style and speed Scarlets are playing at, McNichol looked the real deal towards the end of last season.. Still think Scarlets should have focused their efforts in signing an out and out eightman.

So, I've given it some time and, as I suspected, people aren't really going nuts for Halfpenny signing for the Scarlets. Wales Online are probably all moist about it but I don't read that site. Haven't seen much fanfare elsewhere to be honest.

Well Scarletsfever has been dreading about Halfpenny playing in a Scarlets shirt! i hope it will boost their season ticket sale. Also, pretty much all rugby related website/forum i have read have described it as a very impressive signing.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 14 Aug 2017, 3:55 pm

yappysnap wrote:Quins might be on the lookout for a flanker as Wallace is out for the season with a dislocated hip (ouch).

Maybe. I think as part of the shutdown package the ARU are taking on the players contracts. They'll want to keep the Wallaby qualified players but the others will probably be open season. Truly moronic state of affairs.

Unlucky for Wallace, sounds a particularly unfun injury.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 14 Aug 2017, 5:25 pm

yappysnap wrote:Quins might be on the lookout for a flanker as Wallace is out for the season with a dislocated hip (ouch).

Ben McCalman would be worth a 2 year deal at least - he's got to be pretty disillusioned as club captain.
Excellent hard nut loosie who can also play lock.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Mon 14 Aug 2017, 5:57 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:

Maybe. I think as part of the shutdown package the ARU are taking on the players contracts. They'll want to keep the Wallaby qualified players but the others will probably be open season. Truly moronic state of affairs.

Unlucky for Wallace, sounds a particularly unfun injury.

To be honest that sort of injury is often a career ender - hope I am wrong.

We had a guy at Ulster (David Pollock) who would have taken over for Ireland at 7 when Wallace retired, who had hip problems but never came back.
It just kept popping out after being reset

As I say fingers crossed the same doesn't happen to Wallace

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Mon 14 Aug 2017, 7:14 pm

munkian wrote:Dragons have signed Barry Maddocks as a skills coach from Bath.

Looking at the score against Saints on Saturday, they need all the help they can get. Their tackling was worse than abysmal.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 15 Aug 2017, 8:34 am

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:
munkian wrote:Dragons have signed Barry Maddocks as a skills coach from Bath.

Looking at the score against Saints on Saturday, they need all the help they can get. Their tackling was worse than abysmal.

It sounds like last season but I don't think we had a defence coach then. This season we've got Hendre Marnitz from Blue Bulls so it should improve once he gets settled in working with the first team.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Tue 15 Aug 2017, 9:02 am

Cornal Hendricks signs to play for the Kings in Pro14, returning from early retirement forced by a heart condition

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Tue 15 Aug 2017, 10:34 am

They certainly need him their squad has been decimated

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by SirBurger Thu 17 Aug 2017, 5:42 pm

Heinrich Brussow to Northampton.

SirBurger

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Thu 17 Aug 2017, 6:00 pm

SirBurger wrote:Heinrich Brussow to Northampton.

It would be a very good signing, would prefer a good 8 as a replacement for Picamoles though.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 17 Aug 2017, 6:10 pm

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:

It would be a very good signing, would prefer a good 8 as a replacement for Picamoles though.

That would leave Mitch Eadie as the starting 8. Good AP standard player but he's not the power carrying 8 that have thrived at Saints in recent times. Brussow would be a good signing but a strange one.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by SirBurger Thu 17 Aug 2017, 6:10 pm

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:

Personally not sure it would be a very good signing, but we shall see. He has had a couple of years out playing easy Rugby in Japan and that tends to go one of two ways.

SirBurger

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Thu 17 Aug 2017, 7:09 pm

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:

That would leave Mitch Eadie as the starting 8. Good AP standard player but he's not the power carrying 8 that have thrived at Saints in recent times. Brussow would be a good signing but a strange one.

I suspect that Dickinson will be ahead of Eadie, initially at least. If he can recapture the form of 2-3 years ago, I will be happy. If not Harrison would still be in contention playing an Aussie style back row.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri 18 Aug 2017, 11:24 am

Surely Brussow is a replacement for Clark, not Picamoles.

Also I think Dickinson has retired so Saints are very light at 8 at the moment.

Has something changed I don't know about?

Saints could really struggle at 8 if you don't recruit one or two players soon.

With all due respect Harrison isn't Pocock calibre!

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 18 Aug 2017, 11:28 am

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:
WELL-PAST-IT wrote:

I suspect that Dickinson will be ahead of Eadie, initially at least. If he can recapture the form of 2-3 years ago, I will be happy. If not Harrison would still be in contention playing an Aussie style back row.

Is Dickinson still there? Thought he'd gone. I'm not sure that the Aussie style backrow seems to work with the hard running power game that Saints like to have up front. They would need to change their tactics and haven't done that for a while.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri 18 Aug 2017, 12:36 pm

Players leaving Northampton: Jake Ilnicki, Adam Parkins, Howard Packman, Sam Olver, Gareth Denman, Sam Dickinson, James Wilson, Ethan Waller, George Pisi, Calum Clark, Lee Dickson

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by SirBurger Fri 18 Aug 2017, 1:46 pm

He's been given a ST extension. Captained the side at the weekend apparently.

SirBurger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 18 Aug 2017, 5:56 pm

Surprised Packman and James Wilson weren't offered a new contract.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by prop_lyd Mon 21 Aug 2017, 4:31 pm

Perenise back to bath.
prop_lyd
prop_lyd

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 21 Aug 2017, 4:48 pm

I read that as Perenara!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat 26 Aug 2017, 4:08 pm

Michele Rizzo is on loan with Edinburgh from Tigers. I can't find a confirmation of how long but apparently around a month. There's the Cockers connection, I was expecting a signing sooner to be honest.

From Tigers perspective I hope it doesn't become a long term move, he's an ideal understudy to Genge and a very solid loosehead.

Edinburgh are really struggling at loosehead with this following Ryan Grant riding the bench against the Falcons last night!

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next