Silly Season Transfer Rumours 17/18

Post by George Carlin on Sun 30 Jul 2017, 7:15 am

First topic message reminder :

New season, new thread.
George Carlin

Back to top Go down

Re: Silly Season Transfer Rumours 17/18

Post by formerly known as Sam on Thu 03 Aug 2017, 8:08 am

king_carlos wrote:A few sides have been poor on plastic. Tigers have definitely had the most startling issues with it. A fair few people suggest that injuries, largely knee, sustained or exacerbated on the terrible all weather pitch at Oval Park have made significant players in the squad hate playing on plastic.

Whatever the case is it needs to be addressed as a lot of sides now play their home games on them.

The Oval Park Pitch isn't a modern 4G affair. That all weather crap was drecepid and despised by the amateur team that play at Oval Park. Can't imagine many of the Tigers appreciate it either.

Our form on plastic is worrying. Especially as it seems to be the way a number of teams are going. Hopefully the squad changes will help as will the continued advances in the playing surfaces (the main complaint is that the ground supporting the service is hard and tough on the joints over the 80 mins).

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) on Thu 03 Aug 2017, 8:15 am

(Waikato) Chiefs and Hurricanes are effective swapping reserve #9s with Te Toiroa Tahuriorangi and Finlay Christie signing for the Chiefs & 'Canes respectively
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
V2 Editor
V2 Editor

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin on Thu 03 Aug 2017, 8:40 am

Can't remember if anyone mentioned it but Glasgow have signed Siua Halanukonuka from the Highlanders.
Exactly what we needed - lots of Super Rugby and test experience and a proper size for a tighthead (19 stones).
George Carlin

Back to top Go down

Post by GeordieFalcon on Thu 03 Aug 2017, 8:42 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:Ah right, I haven't heard the rumour Welly....think its a great deal personally.

Gloucester should be delighted. We've just given them a tight five leader who is good at scrum and lineout, an enforcer, mobile and has good hands. Ackermann will be delighted to have him at the heart of his pack.

When did you see him regularly dominate games recently though Sam? As Barrow is beginning to do. I still wish we had fought to keep him, he's monster.

GeordieFalcon

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked on Thu 03 Aug 2017, 9:19 am

Whilst I have made my opinion on Road Runner clear. He should at least be an upgrade for Tigers compared to the sluggish Pietersen who IMO looked like he had eaten too many pork pies.

I've always thought Slater was a bit overrated myself, a change might revitalise him though.

Bit like Jordan Crane in that sense.

If Tigers can keep their key players fit in the backline, could be a threat.

Still don't rate Thompstone though. I see him as the weak link.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry on Thu 03 Aug 2017, 9:20 am

king_carlos wrote:What are any Gloucs fans views on the Slater-May trade? HKC?

I'm in utter denial. I shall be gutted if this goes through. Whilst we desperately need a lock like Slater it shouldn't be at the expense of May. I'm under no illusion you can be a winning side every year, but players like May are pure entertainment and make the cost of the ticket worthwhile. We're taking a gamble on a injured player and I think we're paying too high a price.

Nevertheless if the rumoured signings of Jaco Kriel and Ruan Ackerman are true, we're going to have a great pack.
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london on Thu 03 Aug 2017, 9:20 am

Like many others, Slater just needs a prolonged period being injury free - I am sure he will get form back. The ship has probably sailed for England duties as we are exceptionally well stocked there - but that's good news for Gloucester.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked on Thu 03 Aug 2017, 9:50 am

HongKongCherry wrote:
king_carlos wrote:What are any Gloucs fans views on the Slater-May trade? HKC?

I'm in utter denial. I shall be gutted if this goes through. Whilst we desperately need a lock like Slater it shouldn't be at the expense of May. I'm under no illusion you can be a winning side every year, but players like May are pure entertainment and make the cost of the ticket worthwhile. We're taking a gamble on a injured player and I think we're paying too high a price.

Nevertheless if the rumoured signings of Jaco Kriel and Ruan Ackerman are true, we're going to have a great pack.

I personally think if that Slater does play well he'll be worth much more than May.

Wingers are good but 2nd rows are at the heart beat of a team.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop on Thu 03 Aug 2017, 10:38 am

Tigers need May more than they need Slater and Gloucester need Slater more than they need May. However, this move won't go down well with either set of fans because of the person they're losing.

I'm trying desperately to only think about the Slater we see now and not the one from 3 years ago who was the beating heart of the Tigers pack and looked for everyone's money like he would go on to captain Tigers for years to come. Since then, every time he's looked to be getting anywhere near his former level, he's picked up another injury that has set him back.

May would be a massive upgrade on all the other wingers at Tigers whereas Slater is currently not a standout option at lock. That doesn't mean I have to be happy about losing Swede though furious

Fuzzy Dunlop

Back to top Go down

Post by GeordieFalcon on Thu 03 Aug 2017, 11:07 am

beshocked wrote:Whilst I have made my opinion on Road Runner clear. He should at least be an upgrade for Tigers compared to the sluggish Pietersen who IMO looked like he had eaten too many pork pies.

I've always thought Slater was a bit overrated myself, a change might revitalise him though.

Bit like Jordan Crane in that sense.

If Tigers can keep their key players fit in the backline, could be a threat.

Still don't rate Thompstone though. I see him as the weak link.

Absolutely and many others have made our opinion contrary to your... Very Happy

May is a very good winger and will be a very good signing for Tigers.

GeordieFalcon

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger on Thu 03 Aug 2017, 11:21 am

It will be sad to see Slater go, but as I feel that top 4 and losing in the play-off semi is about the best we can hope for I can at least hope that the rugby I watch on the pitch is enjoyable at times. The pace and footwork of TV and May could raise the excitement levels. Our tight five should be ok - still worried about the makeup of the back row.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 on Thu 03 Aug 2017, 11:28 am

It's probably a slightly better swap for Leicester given Slater's injury woes and May is a quality winger who is a step up from what they have at the moment. Glaws if they can get slater fit would be fantastic; bit of a big if.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger on Thu 03 Aug 2017, 11:30 am

I think the swap could improve both teams, but as already mentioned we are talking about fan favourites who will missed on the "terraces"

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam on Thu 03 Aug 2017, 11:34 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:
formerly known as Sam wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:Ah right, I haven't heard the rumour Welly....think its a great deal personally.

Gloucester should be delighted. We've just given them a tight five leader who is good at scrum and lineout, an enforcer, mobile and has good hands. Ackermann will be delighted to have him at the heart of his pack.

When did you see him regularly dominate games recently though Sam? As Barrow is beginning to do. I still wish we had fought to keep him, he's monster.

He's not dominated teams for a while but he's still played well. Given a good run of games I thought he'd come back up to a good level and possibly overtake Barrow again in the short term as Big Dom still has a tendency to give away stupid penalties though nowhere near as often as when he first signed. He's an on field leader and rarely plays badly, exactly the kind of experienced squad man I think Tigers need to push Barrow. Fitzgerald won't get near Barrow and Wells won't either so there's no competition for that second row enforcer and if Barrow gets injured our pack will suffer.

Slater also has the ability to play and just get those around him to play better like Deacs used to.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly on Thu 03 Aug 2017, 12:54 pm

Williams at lock and Ryan at 6 if you need more aggressors.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger on Thu 03 Aug 2017, 1:13 pm

I am starting to thing that MOC does indeed see Mike Williams as a lock.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam on Thu 03 Aug 2017, 3:07 pm

LondonTiger wrote:I am starting to thing that MOC does indeed see Mike Williams as a lock.

LT and Welly you could well be right. We might see Williams covering 6 and lock from the bench with Evans or Thacker to give us the maximum potential for impact. In the wet slug fests we can always rotate him in to start and have Fitz and Mapapalangi/Hamilton on the bench. We might even see more of Hamilton at 6. Pre season might be illuminating.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf on Thu 03 Aug 2017, 7:46 pm

Halfpenny just signed for Scarlets!

Nhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/40773723

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by prop_lyd on Thu 03 Aug 2017, 8:08 pm

Re may leaving glos. It is a shame to see a starwalt go but we desperately need someone of ed slater's style to join thrush/savage in the pack.
prop_lyd

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB on Thu 03 Aug 2017, 10:04 pm

Seagultaf wrote:Halfpenny just signed for Scarlets!

Everyone will go nuts about this signing.. but i'm not really sure Halfpenny will be great value for money as i don't think he is much of an attacking threat and this wouldn't fit with the style and speed Scarlets are playing at, McNichol looked the real deal towards the end of last season.. Still think Scarlets should have focused their efforts in signing an out and out eightman.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon on Fri 04 Aug 2017, 9:36 am

VinceWLB wrote:

Everyone will go nuts about this signing.. but i'm not really sure Halfpenny will be great value for money as i don't think he is much of an attacking threat and this wouldn't fit with the style and speed Scarlets are playing at, McNichol looked the real deal towards the end of last season.. Still think Scarlets should have focused their efforts in signing an out and out eightman.

Turks will there's no doubt about that. Scarlets need an extra kicker in their team, they needed more experience in the back 3. A good signing. Possibly Halfpenny can rediscover his old self and fit in with that style of play. With regards to the eightman, I think the Scarlets are waiting for Moriarty to become available.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam on Fri 04 Aug 2017, 10:08 am

VinceWLB wrote:

Number eights are in demand. Their stock will have risen and they won't be cheap, might be difficult to get a good one in the present market.

Halfpenny will offer a solid last line of defence and points off the tee. Maybe the Scarlets attacking tendencies will rub off on him as well.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom on Fri 04 Aug 2017, 10:42 am

VinceWLB wrote:

It's a great signing for them for sure. I reckon the way they play down there at the minute he will add plenty of attack. He's got plenty of gas so it's just a question of him getting used to the style and the players around him. Always solid in defence and the kicking from the tee at +90% could be key in the Champions Cup this season. Good bit of business by them.

A solid 8 is hard to come by at the minute. Only real option there I think will be for Scarlets to look to develop their own. Condy looks promising.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian on Fri 04 Aug 2017, 12:22 pm

Welshmushroom wrote:A solid 8 is hard to come by at the minute.  Only real option there I think will be for Scarlets to look to develop their own.  Condy looks promising.

Condy's not one of their own Whistle

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam on Sat 05 Aug 2017, 2:51 pm

Charlie Hodgson has joined LI as kicking coach from whatever job he was doing at Sarries.

Dusty Hare is set to retire after agreeing to leave Saints as academy director at the end of September.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger on Sat 05 Aug 2017, 7:06 pm

Hodgson was in some kind of talent identification role I think. Guess he wants more of a coaching involvement.

Dusty had a huge impact for us as player and academy boss, and the impact he had when he travelled down the road for Saints was massive. While the academy output has tailed of for them recently Turning 65 later this year I hope he enjoys a well deserved retirement.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam on Sat 05 Aug 2017, 8:05 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Hodgson was in some kind of talent identification role I think. Guess he wants more of a coaching involvement.

Dusty had a huge impact for us as player and academy boss, and the impact he had when he travelled down the road for Saints was massive. While the academy output has tailed of for them recently Turning 65 later this year I hope he enjoys a well deserved retirement.

Apparently his idea of retirement is to go and help his old team Newark which will be fantastic for them and it's good to see him helping out the grass roots game.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam on Mon 07 Aug 2017, 9:56 am

USA prop Baumann and Tongan 8 Mapapalangi confirmed as signings at Tigers. Couple of prospect signings.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby on Mon 07 Aug 2017, 10:00 am

Stephen Donald to Ulster

Last edited by geoff999rugby on Tue 08 Aug 2017, 8:47 am; edited 1 time in total

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger on Mon 07 Aug 2017, 10:03 am

May/Slater swap also confirmed

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly on Mon 07 Aug 2017, 10:07 am

Tigers sign
Baumann
Mapalangi
May

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam on Mon 07 Aug 2017, 10:46 am

Well the back three will be worth a watch this season.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger on Mon 07 Aug 2017, 11:03 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:Well the back three will be worth a watch this season.

Whole backline really could be fun - if it gets ball and fires and is fit. Lot of iffs but.......

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry on Mon 07 Aug 2017, 11:36 am

LondonTiger wrote:May/Slater swap also confirmed

Gutted and pleased in almost equal measures. As much as it pains me to say it, this will help Jonny's career as he will have exposure to a higher level of rugby and is likely to have more front foot ball. I envy Tigers' fans as you'll get to see a truly outstanding player, who can make something out of nothing.

Nevertheless, welcome Ed, hopefully you'll help turnaround our underperforming pack.
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger on Mon 07 Aug 2017, 11:42 am

HongKongCherry wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:May/Slater swap also confirmed

Gutted and pleased in almost equal measures. As much as it pains me to say it, this will help Jonny's career as he will have exposure to a higher level of rugby and is likely to have more front foot ball. I envy Tigers' fans as you'll get to see a truly outstanding player, who can make something out of nothing.

Nevertheless, welcome Ed, hopefully you'll help turnaround our underperforming pack.

Having guys like May and TV who are genuinely quick, and have good feet could easily mean we see more from Manu too, as teams will be less likely to double (or as Sarries did triple) mark him.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly on Mon 07 Aug 2017, 12:20 pm

Ruan Ackermann being linked to GLous
1) VRR
2) Hibbard
3) Afoa
4) Slater
5) Thrush
6) Moriarty
7) Ackermann
8) Morgan
9) Heinz (I guess)
10) Williams
11) Sharples
12) Scott
13) Trinder
14) Woodward
15) Marshall

16) Matu'u
17) Hoeneck
18) Denman
19) Savage
20) Evans/Ludlow
21) Vellacott
22) Burns
23) Halaifonua

not bad still need a new scrum coach and a upgrade on the replacement props.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger on Mon 07 Aug 2017, 12:40 pm

Hopefully Callum Braley can show enough to oust Heinz

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly on Mon 07 Aug 2017, 12:54 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Hopefully Callum Braley can show enough to oust Heinz

Vellacott has more potential IMO.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry on Mon 07 Aug 2017, 1:34 pm

Welly wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:Hopefully Callum Braley can show enough to oust Heinz

Vellacott has more potential IMO.

I agree. Braley just hasn't come on enough and I'd be surprised to see him stay beyond this contract. Vellacott is still very raw, but at least offers us a SH in the Dan Robson mold. Nevertheless, Heinz is a good SH and with (hopefully) a sturdier set piece and a coach who doesn't preach box kicks, we should see him at his best. After all, Heinz is on the England radar... Run
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos on Mon 07 Aug 2017, 7:50 pm

A montage of Chris Baumann training... Got to say I'm happy for him to have signed for Tigers just so this could cheer up my Monday Laugh

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee on Tue 08 Aug 2017, 11:32 am

Ruaridh Jackson heads home to Glasgow to presumably cover FH and FB. A one year deal to show what he is worth, never really got the chance to show that at Wasps or Quins and became a squad player, albeit a pretty good one. Will definitely add depth and balance to the Glasgow squad.

BigGee

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf on Tue 08 Aug 2017, 12:06 pm

BigGee wrote:Ruaridh Jackson heads home to Glasgow to presumably cover FH and FB. A one year deal to show what he is worth, never really got the chance to show that at Wasps or Quins and became a squad player, albeit a pretty good one. Will definitely add depth and balance to the Glasgow squad.

Surprise move as he will be at best second choice in both positions!

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee on Tue 08 Aug 2017, 12:18 pm

Seagultaf wrote:
BigGee wrote:Ruaridh Jackson heads home to Glasgow to presumably cover FH and FB. A one year deal to show what he is worth, never really got the chance to show that at Wasps or Quins and became a squad player, albeit a pretty good one. Will definitely add depth and balance to the Glasgow squad.

Jackson's days of being a nailed on starter at any club, in either position are most likely behind him and backing up is what he is likely to be doing now wherever he plays. That said, with Hogg injured and then with international call ups for both him and Russell. He will likely get enough game time to show what he can do and/or put himself back in the market place.

BigGee

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london on Tue 08 Aug 2017, 1:07 pm

He has hardly featured for quins really! Had more of a showing for Wasps and looked like a decent signing at a time when NEv was slowing down a bit....It just didn't happen for him really. Best of luck back with Warriors though.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin on Wed 09 Aug 2017, 9:16 am

BigGee wrote:
Seagultaf wrote:

Jackson's days of being a nailed on starter at any club, in either position are most likely behind him and backing up is what he is likely to be doing now wherever he plays. That said, with Hogg injured and then with international call ups for both him and Russell. He will likely get enough game time to show what he can do and/or put himself back in the market place.
Correct - Hogg and Maitland are streets ahead at full back with young Blair Kinghorn looking like the future at Edinburgh.  

However, Jackson is a quality player who suffered at Scotland level as he did not always have the same quality of colleagues around him. He looked good when I saw him for Quins. He just never got a consistent run. As a squad player, I'm happy to have him at Glasgow.
George Carlin

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam on Wed 09 Aug 2017, 3:18 pm

Ruan Ackermann following his Dad and joining Gloucester, great signing

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam on Wed 09 Aug 2017, 6:53 pm

BamBam wrote:Ruan Ackermann following his Dad and joining Gloucester, great signing

Two great forwards signings in a week for Gloucester. They've now got a pack that Ackermann Snr can sculpt into something. Could be a dark horse for the playoffs this season.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos on Thu 10 Aug 2017, 12:02 am

Welly wrote: Ruan Ackermann being linked to GLous
1) VRR
2) Hibbard
3) Afoa
4) Slater
5) Thrush
6) Moriarty
7) Ackermann
8) Morgan
9) Heinz (I guess)
10) Williams
11) Sharples
12) Scott
13) Trinder
14) Woodward
15) Marshall

16) Matu'u
17) Hoeneck
18) Denman
19) Savage
20) Evans/Ludlow
21) Vellacott
22) Burns
23) Halaifonua

not bad still need a new scrum coach and a upgrade on the replacement props.

It will look significantly better still if they can add another winger, which seems likely given cash from May transfer.

Balmain should be replacement tighthead. If he can stay in shape then he could be an excellent Prem prop. He can already scrum solidly and carry strongly.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam on Thu 10 Aug 2017, 9:15 am

Is Ackermann a 7? I thought he had been playing 8 to cover Whiteley but was primarily a 6

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by SirBurger on Thu 10 Aug 2017, 9:25 am

Ackermann is a 6/8 - him at 7 and Moriarty at 6 would be very physical. I imagine that he has been signed as a 6 to replace Moriarty when he leaves next season.

SirBurger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum