World XI in every format

View previous topic View next topic Go down

World XI in every format

Post by It Must Be Love on Thu 10 Aug 2017, 12:48 am

World XI at the moment in every format of the game:
I admit I watch mainly test cricket and the important ODI tournaments, rarely 2020, so my limited overs XIs may be off.
Also be wary of looking at the 'official rankings' as they take look last 3-4 years rather than current form, don't take into account injuries, and don't take into account pitch conditions (for example it's easier for Herath and Jadeja to pick up more wickets per match than Ali, as all home matches will be in more favourable conditions for spin).

TEST XI:
Warner
Root
Smith
Kohli
Williamson
Bairstow
Ali
Ashwin
Amir
Starc
Anderson 

ODI XI:
Warner
Root
Smith
Kohli
AB De Villiers
Dhoni
Jadeja
Tahir
Starc
Hazlewood
Boult

2020 XI:
Gayle
Finch
Williamson
Kohli
Maxwell
Lewis
Buttler
Shaqib
Faulkner
Tahir
Bumrah


Last edited by It Must Be Love on Thu 10 Aug 2017, 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Test: Amla OUT, Warner IN)

It Must Be Love

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2013-08-14

Back to top Go down

Re: World XI in every format

Post by Gooseberry on Thu 10 Aug 2017, 12:40 pm

I hate these things but ....

I think Gayles past it. He had a rank season in IPL, and hasnt done much in the American thing hes playing in at the moment.
Hes barely played international cricket ...but hasnt had a good score there for a year and a half.
Lewis is pushing it a bit as a newcomer whos not done a lot yet.
Hales should get in as an opener ahead of him. 1 England player in there


The test XI seems to have Cook and Root mixed up, Root cant be in as an opener ahead of him. Alma is pushing it too... in any position let alone an opener. Hes really not done much in the past year

Gooseberry

Posts : 3119
Join date : 2015-02-11

Back to top Go down

Re: World XI in every format

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs on Thu 10 Aug 2017, 1:56 pm

I'm not really interested in odi or t20.

So World Test XI:

1. KL Rahul
2. A. Cook
3. S. Smith
4. V. Kohli(c)
5. J. Root
6. B. Stokes
7. Q. de Kock(w/k)
8. R. Ashwin
9. R. Jadeja
10. M. Starc
11. K Rabada

Williamson unfortunately misses out. If the matches are in English conditions then Anderson for Jadeja. But I like playing two world class spinners in 99% of matches.

Ashwin and Jadeja are the premier spinners in world cricket so they see off Herath.

KL Rahul has hit 6 consecutive 50s and when watching him bat I sense he could be better than Kohli in a few years time.

My side has 4 genuine all rounders Stokes, de Kock, Ashwin and Jadeja.

Nathaniel Jacobs

Posts : 241
Join date : 2016-12-17

Back to top Go down

Re: World XI in every format

Post by LionsV2 on Thu 10 Aug 2017, 2:37 pm

I'd love to have two spinners in Australia, New Zealand, England, South Africa and West Indies, really makes the most of the conditions.

LionsV2

Posts : 791
Join date : 2017-07-12

Back to top Go down

Re: World XI in every format

Post by VTR on Thu 10 Aug 2017, 2:54 pm

I prefer Nathaniel's team to the original. I'd rather have players in the position they actually play, so Root opening is definite no. On Nathaniel's team I'd change Bairstow for De Kock (who has had one good series so far) and could name several seamers I'd include over Rabada including his team mate Morkel

VTR

Posts : 3122
Join date : 2012-03-23
Location : Fine Leg

Back to top Go down

Re: World XI in every format

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs on Thu 10 Aug 2017, 2:57 pm

VTR wrote:I prefer Nathaniel's team to the original. I'd rather have players in the position they actually play, so Root opening is definite no. On Nathaniel's team I'd change Bairstow for De Kock (who has had one good series so far) and could name several seamers I'd include over Rabada including his team mate Morkel
I picked Rabada as he's more a pitch up bowler. And I like fast swing bowlers. I could easily have selected Morkel but I think Stokes can do a similar role to the giant South African.

Nathaniel Jacobs

Posts : 241
Join date : 2016-12-17

Back to top Go down

Re: World XI in every format

Post by James100 on Thu 10 Aug 2017, 3:54 pm

Test
Alastair Cook
Murali Vijay
Kane Williamson (c)
Steve Smith
Virat Kohli
Shakib Al-Hasan
Ravichandran Ashwin
BJ Watling (wk)
Vernon Philander
Josh Hazelwood
James Anderson

ODI
Mark Guptill
Quinton De Kock (wk)
Virat Kohli
AB De Villiers
Joe Root
Jos Buttler
Angelo Matthews
Mitchell Starc
Kagiso Rabada
Trent Boult
Imran Tahir

T20
Aaron Finch
Alex Hales
Virat Kohli
Joe Root
Glen Maxwell
Jos Buttler (wk)
Corey Anderson
Mitchell Starc
Mustafizur Rahman
Samuel Badree
Imran Tahir

James100

Posts : 279
Join date : 2016-04-29

Back to top Go down

Re: World XI in every format

Post by KO-KING on Thu 10 Aug 2017, 6:41 pm

Test
Tamim Iqbal
David Warner
Kane Williamson
Virat Kohli
Joe Root
Shakib Al-Hasan
Johnny Bairstow (wk)
Vernon Philander
Kagiso Rabada/Rangana Herath
Mitchell Starc
James Anderson

Opening - how can you resist tamim and warner, both class, both destructive, both are in my opinion the two best right now

Next 3, they're better than Smith in more conditions barring the flat track, but smith can replace any

Shakib, he's a level above any other all rounder, Stokes moeen are good, Shakib is a bona-fide great, since 2014 he averages like 50 with the bat and 32 with the ball, 200 in new Zealand too.

Johnny Bairstow, second best batsmen in my opinion behind de kock, better keeper, I have to him in the team.

Rabada, Herath depending on conditions

Anderson and Philander are the best two in the world right now in my opinion, Starc provides that cutting edge.


ODI
Mark Guptill
Quinton De Kock (wk)
Joe Root
Virat Kohli
AB De Villiers
Shakib Al-Hasan
Ben Stokes
Glen Maxwell
Mitchell Starc
Trent Boult
Mustafizur Rahman

30 from the pace attack, 10 Shakib, 10 between Stokes, maxwell, root

T20... Not so sure to be honest

KO-KING

Posts : 1052
Join date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

Re: World XI in every format

Post by guildfordbat on Thu 10 Aug 2017, 6:49 pm

I hope you guys choosing Philander have checked he's passed a full fitness test. Wink

guildfordbat

Posts : 11397
Join date : 2011-04-07

Back to top Go down

Re: World XI in every format

Post by LionsV2 on Thu 10 Aug 2017, 6:58 pm

Iqbal with his sub 40 average isn't really a match for Cook.

LionsV2

Posts : 791
Join date : 2017-07-12

Back to top Go down

Re: World XI in every format

Post by It Must Be Love on Thu 10 Aug 2017, 7:36 pm

For Test:
Root is a genius, if you had both Root and Cook opening for 10+ innings I'm almost certain Root would have a higher average than Cook. Sachin played number 4, but he could open in ODIs, don't see why Root wouldn't be able to adjust. 
For me, Root and Smith are the two players that you simply cannot drop, their averages and consistency in the past few years have been sublime. 

As for the bowlers, surprised no one has stepped over the line and gone for Amir, he's excellent whenever I see him bowl.

It Must Be Love

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2013-08-14

Back to top Go down

Re: World XI in every format

Post by It Must Be Love on Thu 10 Aug 2017, 7:42 pm

KO-KING wrote:Test
Tamim Iqbal
David Warner
Kane Williamson
Virat Kohli
Joe Root
Shakib Al-Hasan
Johnny Bairstow (wk)
Vernon Philander
Kagiso Rabada/Rangana Herath
Mitchell Starc
James Anderson

Opening - how can you resist tamim and warner, both class, both destructive, both are in my opinion the two best right now

Next 3, they're better than Smith in more conditions barring the flat track, but smith can replace any
Smith has averaged 71.25 in 29 test matches in the past 3 years though, so harsh to leave him out.

However I must admit I think I made a mistake putting Amla in my team, just looked up his average in the last few years and it's not very good. Will replace him with Warner.

It Must Be Love

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2013-08-14

Back to top Go down

Re: World XI in every format

Post by It Must Be Love on Thu 10 Aug 2017, 7:48 pm

Who is better overall: Jadeja or Moeen Ali?

It Must Be Love

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2013-08-14

Back to top Go down

Re: World XI in every format

Post by KO-KING on Thu 10 Aug 2017, 8:54 pm

Yh I thought about it and I thought I edited and put Smith instead of Kholi in test

Jadeja vs moeen

Jadeja is better overall slightly I would say, moeen better batsmen no doubt, but Jadeja is arguably the best spinner in the world right now, I love moeen but he shouldn't be in the team, he's not good enough with any individual aspect, Shakib just does everything better than him and they're similar styles of players

KO-KING

Posts : 1052
Join date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

Re: World XI in every format

Post by Gooseberry on Thu 10 Aug 2017, 9:26 pm

Sorry I cant let the comment about Root being a better test opener than Cook slide. Its just silly.

Root was dropped by England after failing at 3 and they have steadfastly refused to put him back since then. Theres a good reason hes never opened ...even though England are desperatly short of options. He probably would have done a better job than those tried ...but he wouldnt have near 50 average as an opener.
Cook has been the consitent opener of his age group, and suceeded all over the world.

Gooseberry

Posts : 3119
Join date : 2015-02-11

Back to top Go down

Re: World XI in every format

Post by It Must Be Love on Thu 10 Aug 2017, 9:41 pm

KO-KING wrote:Jadeja vs moeen  

Jadeja is better overall slightly I would say, moeen better batsmen no doubt, but Jadeja is arguably the best spinner in the world right now,  I love moeen but he shouldn't be in the team, he's not good enough with any individual aspect, Shakib just does everything better than him and they're similar styles of players
I'm not sure about Jadeja being the best spinner in the world right now, Jadeja has picked up lots of wickets in very favourable conditions, but he doesn't have the variety of Ashwin.

It Must Be Love

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2013-08-14

Back to top Go down

Re: World XI in every format

Post by It Must Be Love on Thu 10 Aug 2017, 9:48 pm

Gooseberry wrote:Sorry I cant let the comment about Root being a better test opener than Cook slide. Its just silly.

Root was dropped by England after failing at 3 and they have steadfastly refused to put him back since then. Theres a good reason hes never opened ...even though England are desperatly short of options. He probably would have done a better job than those tried ...but he wouldnt have near  50 average as an opener.
Cook has been the consitent opener of his age group, and suceeded all over the world.
We may have to agree to disagree, but let me provide some evidence.

Firstly I think Root is so talented and has improved so much over the last few years that now he could adjust and play any position. 

Secondly had a look at some of the stats, the only time Root opened recently was in 2016 against India in Mohali and he got 78. Before that he opened in 2013 for 5 matches (when he was nowhere near the player he is now), his overall average 41.7 in that position. Small sample size, but it is more than what Cook has averaged in the past 2 calendar years, 40.47.  
So I think a strong argument can be made that Root would average more than Cook if made to open if given some time to settle in to the role. However I do understand the view that only openers who open in real life should have that position in a World XI, perfectly reasonable too.

It Must Be Love

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2013-08-14

Back to top Go down

Re: World XI in every format

Post by KO-KING on Fri 11 Aug 2017, 1:01 am

I don't think Jadeja is either, but I do believe you could argue it

Herath is superior from what I've seen

KO-KING

Posts : 1052
Join date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

Re: World XI in every format

Post by VTR on Fri 11 Aug 2017, 8:11 am

On the wicket-keepers, I've seen Bairstow called "the second best batsmen behind De Kock". What on earth is that based on? - Bairstow is a better batsman and keeper at the moment. He's even now 7th in the ICC player rankings for Tests. De Kock has a lot of potential but needs three or four good series to convince he can bring his ODI game to the Test arena on a consistent basis

I think I also saw a team with BJ Watling as keeper, the less said about that the better

VTR

Posts : 3122
Join date : 2012-03-23
Location : Fine Leg

Back to top Go down

Re: World XI in every format

Post by LionsV2 on Fri 11 Aug 2017, 8:21 am

It Must Be Love wrote:
Gooseberry wrote:Sorry I cant let the comment about Root being a better test opener than Cook slide. Its just silly.

Root was dropped by England after failing at 3 and they have steadfastly refused to put him back since then. Theres a good reason hes never opened ...even though England are desperatly short of options. He probably would have done a better job than those tried ...but he wouldnt have near  50 average as an opener.
Cook has been the consitent opener of his age group, and suceeded all over the world.
We may have to agree to disagree, but let me provide some evidence.

Firstly I think Root is so talented and has improved so much over the last few years that now he could adjust and play any position. 

Secondly had a look at some of the stats, the only time Root opened recently was in 2016 against India in Mohali and he got 78. Before that he opened in 2013 for 5 matches (when he was nowhere near the player he is now), his overall average 41.7 in that position. Small sample size, but it is more than what Cook has averaged in the past 2 calendar years, 40.47.  
So I think a strong argument can be made that Root would average more than Cook if made to open if given some time to settle in to the role. However I do understand the view that only openers who open in real life should have that position in a World XI, perfectly reasonable too.


I don't think there's any argument hence why he's selected as a number four, his overall record in the top 3 is mediocre.

LionsV2

Posts : 791
Join date : 2017-07-12

Back to top Go down

Re: World XI in every format

Post by VTR on Fri 11 Aug 2017, 8:30 am

Yeah you can't have Root in as an opener. He might be the best opener that never was, but we simply don't know. I can understand why he would be shoe-horned in as otherwise you pretty much have to leave out one of the big 4. Going with the logic given you might as well shove Smith as an opener, which again would not be credible

Out of the big 4 I'd actually leave out Williamson, as the other three play more series and matches against top opposition

VTR

Posts : 3122
Join date : 2012-03-23
Location : Fine Leg

Back to top Go down

Re: World XI in every format

Post by LionsV2 on Fri 11 Aug 2017, 8:48 am

The teams selecting two spinners should really be selecting Pujara at number three, in spin friendly conditions he's the best in the world.

LionsV2

Posts : 791
Join date : 2017-07-12

Back to top Go down

Re: World XI in every format

Post by Jetty on Fri 11 Aug 2017, 1:39 pm

1 Warner
2 Pujara
3 Williamson
4 Smith
5 Kohli
6 Root
7 Bairstow
8 Jadeja
9 Starc
10 Rabada
11 Anderson

Jetty

Posts : 172
Join date : 2011-06-01

Back to top Go down

Re: World XI in every format

Post by Gooseberry on Fri 11 Aug 2017, 1:47 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:
KO-KING wrote:Jadeja vs moeen  

Jadeja is better overall slightly I would say, moeen better batsmen no doubt, but Jadeja is arguably the best spinner in the world right now,  I love moeen but he shouldn't be in the team, he's not good enough with any individual aspect, Shakib just does everything better than him and they're similar styles of players
I'm not sure about Jadeja being the best spinner in the world right now, Jadeja has picked up lots of wickets in very favourable conditions, but he doesn't have the variety of Ashwin.


But a better one than Moeen certainly, and if we are picking down the order its one of either Ashwin or Jadeja every time.
If we were picking someone to play at 6 and bowl a bit the answer might be different.

Gooseberry

Posts : 3119
Join date : 2015-02-11

Back to top Go down

Re: World XI in every format

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs on Fri 11 Aug 2017, 1:49 pm

Gooseberry wrote:
It Must Be Love wrote:
KO-KING wrote:Jadeja vs moeen  

Jadeja is better overall slightly I would say, moeen better batsmen no doubt, but Jadeja is arguably the best spinner in the world right now,  I love moeen but he shouldn't be in the team, he's not good enough with any individual aspect, Shakib just does everything better than him and they're similar styles of players
I'm not sure about Jadeja being the best spinner in the world right now, Jadeja has picked up lots of wickets in very favourable conditions, but he doesn't have the variety of Ashwin.


But a better one than Moeen certainly, and if we are picking down the order its one of either Ashwin or Jadeja every time.
If we were picking someone to play at 6 and bowl a bit the answer might be different.
Ashwin has been batting at 6 for that last 18 months and his record is as good as Moeen's with the bat. Under no circumstances would Moeen get a look in at a world test xi over ashwin or jadeja

Nathaniel Jacobs

Posts : 241
Join date : 2016-12-17

Back to top Go down

Re: World XI in every format

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs on Fri 11 Aug 2017, 1:52 pm

VTR wrote:On the wicket-keepers, I've seen Bairstow called "the second best batsmen behind De Kock". What on earth is that based on? - Bairstow is a better batsman and keeper at the moment. He's even now 7th in the ICC player rankings for Tests. De Kock has a lot of potential but needs three or four good series to convince he can bring his ODI game to the Test arena on a consistent basis

I think I also saw a team with BJ Watling as keeper, the less said about that the better
Are we talking wicket keepers or batsmen-wicket keepers? de Kock and Bairstow aren't very good keepers against spinners on Asian surfaces. If you play two spinners you need a keeper capable of taking every half chance.

Saha is probably the best pure keeper and unquestionably the best keeper to spinners. Whereas Watling is probably the best all round pure keeper

Nathaniel Jacobs

Posts : 241
Join date : 2016-12-17

Back to top Go down

Re: World XI in every format

Post by Gooseberry on Fri 11 Aug 2017, 2:28 pm

I dont rate Moeen that highly but Im not going to accept that Ashwin is as good a bat just because hes scored a few runs on flat pitches against the worst sri lankan attack ever, at home against ansari and batty, and against a west indies team who werent trying. Aus turned up with some bowlers and destroyed him.
India get away with picking him in the top 6 by having some very good actual bats around him and a strong 7/8. Hes only used at 6 when they want 3 spinners and has never batted higher.
Moeen is just about a proper batsman and has a better record up and down the order.

That said yes Ashwin over him in a world 11

Gooseberry

Posts : 3119
Join date : 2015-02-11

Back to top Go down

Re: World XI in every format

Post by guildfordbat on Fri 11 Aug 2017, 2:37 pm

Gooseberry wrote:I dont rate Moeen that highly but Im not going to accept that Ashwin is as good a bat just because hes scored a few runs on flat pitches against the worst sri lankan attack ever, at home against ansari and batty, and against a west indies team who werent trying. Aus turned up with some bowlers and destroyed him.
India get away with picking him in the top 6 by having some very good actual bats around him and a strong 7/8.  Hes only used at 6 when they want 3 spinners and has never batted higher.
Moeen is just about a proper batsman and has a better record up and down the order.

That said yes Ashwin over him in a world 11

You should have said. Wink

guildfordbat

Posts : 11397
Join date : 2011-04-07

Back to top Go down

Re: World XI in every format

Post by VTR on Fri 11 Aug 2017, 3:21 pm

Nathaniel Jacobs wrote:
VTR wrote:On the wicket-keepers, I've seen Bairstow called "the second best batsmen behind De Kock". What on earth is that based on? - Bairstow is a better batsman and keeper at the moment. He's even now 7th in the ICC player rankings for Tests. De Kock has a lot of potential but needs three or four good series to convince he can bring his ODI game to the Test arena on a consistent basis

I think I also saw a team with BJ Watling as keeper, the less said about that the better
Are we talking wicket keepers or batsmen-wicket keepers? de Kock and Bairstow aren't very good keepers against spinners on Asian surfaces. If you play two spinners you need a keeper capable of taking every half chance.

Saha is probably the best pure keeper and unquestionably the best keeper to spinners. Whereas Watling is probably the best all round pure keeper

I'm talking wicket-keeper batsmen - runs from 7/8 are absolutely vital in the modern game, even an amazing keeper averaging less than 30 is going to have hard time keeping their place

VTR

Posts : 3122
Join date : 2012-03-23
Location : Fine Leg

Back to top Go down

Re: World XI in every format

Post by James100 on Fri 11 Aug 2017, 7:26 pm

VTR wrote:
Nathaniel Jacobs wrote:
VTR wrote:On the wicket-keepers, I've seen Bairstow called "the second best batsmen behind De Kock". What on earth is that based on? - Bairstow is a better batsman and keeper at the moment. He's even now 7th in the ICC player rankings for Tests. De Kock has a lot of potential but needs three or four good series to convince he can bring his ODI game to the Test arena on a consistent basis

I think I also saw a team with BJ Watling as keeper, the less said about that the better
Are we talking wicket keepers or batsmen-wicket keepers? de Kock and Bairstow aren't very good keepers against spinners on Asian surfaces. If you play two spinners you need a keeper capable of taking every half chance.

Saha is probably the best pure keeper and unquestionably the best keeper to spinners. Whereas Watling is probably the best all round pure keeper

I'm talking wicket-keeper batsmen - runs from 7/8 are absolutely vital in the modern game, even an amazing keeper averaging less than 30 is going to have hard time keeping their place  

The reason I went for Watling is, as Nathaniel says, because he's the best all-round Test keeper at the moment. In a hypothetical World XI where I'm allowed to stack the batting with the best players in the world, I'd absolutely choose the best pure keeper and boost the bowlers.

James100

Posts : 279
Join date : 2016-04-29

Back to top Go down

Re: World XI in every format

Post by guildfordbat on Fri 11 Aug 2017, 7:38 pm

James100 wrote:
...

The reason I went for Watling is, as Nathaniel says, because he's the best all-round Test keeper at the moment. In a hypothetical World XI where I'm allowed to stack the batting with the best players in the world, I'd absolutely choose the best pure keeper and boost the bowlers.

Hi James - yep, I can follow that. Mind you, with the same logic, expect King Carlos to give a World call up to the much missed Michael Bates. Sad Wink

guildfordbat

Posts : 11397
Join date : 2011-04-07

Back to top Go down

Re: World XI in every format

Post by alfie on Sat 12 Aug 2017, 8:04 am

Nathaniel Jacobs wrote:
Gooseberry wrote:
It Must Be Love wrote:
KO-KING wrote:Jadeja vs moeen  

Jadeja is better overall slightly I would say, moeen better batsmen no doubt, but Jadeja is arguably the best spinner in the world right now,  I love moeen but he shouldn't be in the team, he's not good enough with any individual aspect, Shakib just does everything better than him and they're similar styles of players
I'm not sure about Jadeja being the best spinner in the world right now, Jadeja has picked up lots of wickets in very favourable conditions, but he doesn't have the variety of Ashwin.


But a better one than Moeen certainly, and if we are picking down the order its one of either Ashwin or Jadeja every time.
If we were picking someone to play at 6 and bowl a bit the answer might be different.
Ashwin has been batting at 6 for that last 18 months and his record is as good as Moeen's with the bat. Under no circumstances would Moeen get a look in at a world test xi over ashwin or jadeja

True...but neither would any World XI contemplate batting Ashwin at six.

You really can't (certainly from the current set of players) pick a world team for all occasions . Has to be considerably different for Tests in India/UAE as against England/NZ or Australia /SA. Mainly different bowling.

alfie

Posts : 8544
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Melbourne.

Back to top Go down

Re: World XI in every format

Post by KO-KING on Sat 12 Aug 2017, 1:43 pm

Moeen simply doesn't get in, nothing can justify it, if you want the best out and out spinner you have to go with Herath ashwin or Jadeja

If you need to consider batting, Shakib gets in ahead of all of them, on a spinners pitch I'll pick two, one Shakib another, on form maybe Jadeja, but past 2 years and genuine ability between Herath and ashwin, if it's a fast bowling pitch, I'd go Shakib, he'll do what's moeen doing for England just better. Am a fan of moeen and until recently I think he's been underrated, but now he's joining the long line of English athletes that are overrated

As for keeper

I was wrong when I said de Kock is the best batsmen, he's not, in odis he maybe is

Bairstow has been excellent with the bat and much improved with the gloves

Past 2 years~ (closest series) wk averages

Rahim 59
Bairstow 48.2
De Kock 47.1
Watling 38.7
Safraz 36.6

So my opinion.
Bairstow and rahim are similar keepers, Watling is better than them with Safraz the best with the gloves in my opinion and de Kock is clearly the worst. attaching a over simplistic point system.

Safraz 4
Watling 3
Bairstow/rahim 2
De Kock 1

So what you want in your keeper

I reckon rahim and bairstow are the best batsmen, but bairstow has had the chance to play more, so I'd give him the edge based on that, because I've seen both play enough to say both are world class with the bat

Bairstow 4
Rahim 3
De Kock 2
Watling 1
Safraz 0

I have bairstow with 6
Rahim 5
Watling/sarfraz 4
De Kock 3

My opinion explained with some facts anyway

You could argue all of them to be honest and they've got good styles

Watling and sarfraz grind it out

De Kock is a magnificent stroke maker

Rahim and bairstow score tough runs and can play shots too

KO-KING

Posts : 1052
Join date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

Re: World XI in every format

Post by wisden on Mon 14 Aug 2017, 10:20 am

MY XI FOR EVERY FORMAT

TEST

1.Alistair Cook
2.David Warner
3.Kane Willamson
4.Steve Smith
5.Joe Root
6.BJ Watling (wk)
7.Mohammed Amir
8.R.Ashwin
9.Kagiso Rabada
10.Morne Morkel
11.Mitch Starc

Long tail but strong batting line up covers it, can swap Ashwin and Amir round in batting order..Kohli dosen;t get in, i rate him more in limited overs cricket

ODI

1.Upul Tharanga
2.Martin Guptill
3.Virat Kohli
4.AB De Villiers
5.Steve Smith
6.Ben Stokes
7.Sarfraz Ahmed (wk)
8.Mitch Starc
9.Tim Southee
10.Lakshan Sandakan
11.Adil Rashid

20-20

1.Martin Guptill
2.Tamim Iqbal
3.Kane Willamson
4.Ben Stokes
5.Sarfraz Ahmed (wk)
6.Andre Russell (I know currently banned, but class act in t20)
7.Glenn Maxwell (kills me to put him in, but in t20 is so destructive)
8.Bhuvi Kumar (at the death, class, swings the new ball)
9.Mitch Starc
10.Adil Rashid
11.Rashid Khan

wisden

Posts : 491
Join date : 2015-05-05

Back to top Go down

Re: World XI in every format

Post by Mad for Chelsea on Mon 14 Aug 2017, 12:30 pm

These are always quite fun. Re keeping, Bairstow is clearly massively improved from two years ago. It shows once again that it seems to be much easier to turn a batsman into a competent international keeper (especially a natural athlete like Bairstow) than the other way around. As a keeper myself I sometimes wish it weren't so, but there you are... I'd certainly have Bairstow in my Test team with no issues.

Test
Cook
Warner
Smith
Root
Kohli
Stokes/Shakib (dependent on conditions)
Bairstow
Ashwin
Rabada
Broad
Boult

ODIs
Hales
De Kock
Root
Kohli
De Villiers
Shakib
Rashid
Woakes
Starc
Amir
Hassan

T20
Roy
Guptil
Kohli
De Villiers
Maxwell
Stokes
Buttler
Willey
Starc
Tahir
Bumrah

Mad for Chelsea

Posts : 11799
Join date : 2011-02-11
Age : 29

Back to top Go down

Re: World XI in every format

Post by VTR on Mon 14 Aug 2017, 12:36 pm

What on earth is that team with Amir batting at 7 supposed to be?!

VTR

Posts : 3122
Join date : 2012-03-23
Location : Fine Leg

Back to top Go down

Re: World XI in every format

Post by LionsV2 on Mon 14 Aug 2017, 12:41 pm

VTR wrote:What on earth is that team with Amir batting at 7 supposed to be?!


Who knows, having a strong top five doesn't make up for having a weak batting line up beyond that; Watling has a similar average to Bairstow but that is aided by almost twice as many not outs nor does he ever sacrifice his wicket for the team.

LionsV2

Posts : 791
Join date : 2017-07-12

Back to top Go down

Re: World XI in every format

Post by VTR on Mon 14 Aug 2017, 2:08 pm

Well it gave me a good laugh at least. Even if you wanted to pick those bowlers, the batting order given is absolutely ridiculous

VTR

Posts : 3122
Join date : 2012-03-23
Location : Fine Leg

Back to top Go down

Re: World XI in every format

Post by Gooseberry on Mon 14 Aug 2017, 2:12 pm

VTR wrote:Well it gave me a good laugh at least. Even if you wanted to pick those bowlers, the batting order given is absolutely ridiculous


Yeah but Rashid
If you needed any evidence its a troll account then look no further.

Gooseberry

Posts : 3119
Join date : 2015-02-11

Back to top Go down

Re: World XI in every format

Post by VTR on Mon 14 Aug 2017, 2:50 pm

Sadly I didn't get as far as reading the other teams. The author does have a bit of history, including the much missed series ratings threads - the all time classic being when Pragyan Ojha was given 10/10 in the Test series that India lost at home to England

VTR

Posts : 3122
Join date : 2012-03-23
Location : Fine Leg

Back to top Go down

Re: World XI in every format

Post by It Must Be Love on Mon 14 Aug 2017, 5:59 pm

VTR wrote:The author does have a bit of history, including the much missed series ratings threads - the all time classic being when Pragyan Ojha was given 10/10 in the Test series that India lost at home to England
Are you talking about me? I've never done a series rating thread, and certainly wouldn't give Ojha 10/10 if I did.

It Must Be Love

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2013-08-14

Back to top Go down

Re: World XI in every format

Post by It Must Be Love on Mon 14 Aug 2017, 6:01 pm

Oh sorry just realised you were referring to Wisden, got confused.

It Must Be Love

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2013-08-14

Back to top Go down

Re: World XI in every format

Post by VTR on Mon 14 Aug 2017, 6:50 pm

No worries, it was referring to wisden, who to be fair is consistent with picking strange teams and opinion on what constitutes a perfect performance

VTR

Posts : 3122
Join date : 2012-03-23
Location : Fine Leg

Back to top Go down

Re: World XI in every format

Post by It Must Be Love on Mon 14 Aug 2017, 7:21 pm

To help everyone out I will do some stats for test matches:

TEST Batting average from 2015- current against the top 6 teams (Aus, Eng, Ind, SA, Pak, NZ)-

Ind:
Kohli 56.11 
Pujara 53.11
Rahane 42.04
Rahul 58.71 (but only 15 innings, half as other batsmen above)

Aus:
Warner: 49.71
Smith: 68.31

Eng:
Cook: 45.74
Root: 56.73

SA: 
AB De Villiers: 33.42
Amla: 36.57

Others:
Williamson 51.22
Azhar Ali 46.66
Iqbal 42.76


WICKETKEEPERS:
Bairstow 43.65
De Kock 46.85
Rahim 40.07
Watling 34.91


I don't think these stats are an accurate measure, as only a watcher can observe the different conditions they have to bat in. But based on these stats alone I suppose the top 6 would be:

Rahul
Warner
Smith
Kohli
Root
De Kock

(Pujara, Williamson have higher averages than Warner but no experience as opener)

It Must Be Love

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2013-08-14

Back to top Go down

Re: World XI in every format

Post by KO-KING on Mon 14 Aug 2017, 11:09 pm

So batting vs top 6, so the batting performance against bangladesh doesn't count?

Did we even cross 300

Either way I stick by bairstow being better

KO-KING

Posts : 1052
Join date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

Re: World XI in every format

Post by It Must Be Love on Mon 14 Aug 2017, 11:27 pm

KO-KING wrote:So batting vs top 6, so the batting performance against bangladesh doesn't count?

Did we even cross 300

Either way I stick by bairstow being better
The top 6 have considerably better bowling attacks than Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, West Indies.

It Must Be Love

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2013-08-14

Back to top Go down

Re: World XI in every format

Post by It Must Be Love on Tue 15 Aug 2017, 1:14 am

I'll do some more stats, this time with bowling averages:

TEST bowling average from 2015- current against top 4 teams (Aus, Eng, SA, Ind); I feel unlike bowling Pakistan and NZ are a step behind the top 4. 

Ind:
Ashwin 23.69 (Adjusted batting average: 26.45)
Jadeja 18.17 (Adjusted batting average: 32.72) 

England:
Anderson 26.14
Broad 24.31 
Moeen Ali 36.33 (Adjusted batting average: 35.95)

South Africa:
Morkel 26.34
Rabada 25.16
Philander 23.12 (Adjusted batting average: 26.06)
Steyn 32.2

Pak:
Amir 48.05
Yasir Shah 53.55

Australia:
Hazlewood 26.15
Starc 24.92

New Zealand:
Boult 33.62
Wagner 27.21

Others:
Herath 28.85
Shakib 28.63 (Batting average: 52.53)

I think a balanced test team should have an all-rounder at 6 or 7 with average of 30 plus; so one of Jadeja, Shakib, Ali.

It Must Be Love

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2013-08-14

Back to top Go down

Re: World XI in every format

Post by dummy_half on Tue 15 Aug 2017, 10:14 am

IMBL

So using your (slightly cherry picked) statistics, and based on a line-up of:
2 specialist openers
3 middle order batsmen
1 all rounder
1 wicket keeper batsman
4 specialist bowlers

Overall bowling attack of 4 seamers + 1 spinner / 3 seamers 2 spinners

Warner
Rahul
Smith
Root
Kohli
de Kock
Jadeja (slightly poorer bat than Ali but MUCH better bowler)
Philander
Starc
Broad
Rabada / Ashwin

dummy_half

Posts : 4624
Join date : 2011-03-11
Age : 45
Location : East Hertfordshire

Back to top Go down

Re: World XI in every format

Post by JDizzle on Tue 15 Aug 2017, 6:53 pm

dummy_half wrote:IMBL

So using your (slightly cherry picked) statistics, and based on a line-up of:
2 specialist openers
3 middle order batsmen
1 all rounder
1 wicket keeper batsman
4 specialist bowlers

Overall bowling attack of 4 seamers + 1 spinner / 3 seamers 2 spinners

Warner
Rahul
Smith
Root
Kohli
de Kock
Jadeja (slightly poorer bat than Ali but MUCH better bowler)
Philander
Starc
Broad
Rabada / Ashwin

Interestingly (or not) Moeen averages 34 outside of Asia. Jadeja averages 42, albeit in only 8 matches. Still quite a bit to prove in all conditions.

JDizzle

Posts : 4380
Join date : 2011-03-11

Back to top Go down

Re: World XI in every format

Post by KO-KING on Wed 16 Aug 2017, 11:57 am

Meanwhile outside of Asia

Shakib averages 28 with the ball and 41 with the bat and
Herath averages 37 and 15

Ashwin averages 42 and 35 with the bat

Those 3 carry more responsibility and pressure too, especially in the case of herath and shakib

Since we use Asian players outside of Asia, why doesn't people ever compare players in Asia who aren't Asian

KO-KING

Posts : 1052
Join date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

Re: World XI in every format

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum