The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England vs West Indies - test series thread

+24
KO-KING
Hibbz
Corporalhumblebucket
compelling and rich
James100
eirebilly
msp83
LionsV2
Nathaniel Jacobs
JDizzle
KP_fan
Mad for Chelsea
Duty281
Jetty
king_carlos
jimbohammers
dummy_half
Gooseberry
sirfredperry
CaledonianCraig
GSC
VTR
guildfordbat
Good Golly I'm Olly
28 posters

Page 13 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13

Go down

England vs West Indies - test series thread - Page 13 Empty England vs West Indies - test series thread

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 10 Aug 2017, 4:38 pm

First topic message reminder :

So England have announced that the squad for this series will be announced today....will try to update as soon as it comes out!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

England vs West Indies - test series thread - Page 13 Empty Re: England vs West Indies - test series thread

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 11 Sep 2017, 12:54 pm

Worth noting we tour New Zealand after Australia - at that time of year, likely will be offering good swinging conditions for Jimmy against a not great batting lineup...
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

England vs West Indies - test series thread - Page 13 Empty Re: England vs West Indies - test series thread

Post by king_carlos Mon 11 Sep 2017, 3:51 pm

The issue for any player but a seamer especially at Anderson's age is that you're only one injury from calling it a day. So often with that many miles on the clock a player will get one injury that takes away a bit more pace and after a brief attempt to return will call it a day.

Hopefully Jimmy is fortunate enough and managed well enough to avoid that.

Oz this winter will arguably be his biggest challenge yet. That bit less pace will be felt even more on Aussie wickets, bowling with the duke ball. If the Australian batsman can get after Moeen early then it could become a very long and hard tour for the England seamers. Depth to the seamers will be vital.

Variation in the seamers will be needed too. TRJ adds height but there may well be questions of what he'll do with less seam movement given he isn't the quickest. Woakes and Wood have an extra yard of pace but both are returning from injury. 2 tests from Wood in the series may well be good going for rotation given his ankle.

Could a late summer push from Plunkett or even Finn get them a outside bet on a late squad spot as variation?

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 12 Sep 2017, 3:47 am

Probably going to be enough pace bowlers in the squad already though ... I'd expect Plunkett and/or Finn to be out there with the Lions .

I think TRJ could do quite well. Not sure pace is everything - surprising the batsman with bounce can be just as effective. Of course it has to be well directed.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by LivinginItaly Tue 12 Sep 2017, 6:33 am

As I mentioned before I think TRJ could have a similar impact to tremlett, who if I remember well was never considered a fast bowler but rather one who used his height to exact steepling bounce at quick enough speed. Don't think TRJ is any slower than tremlett was.

LivinginItaly

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Tue 12 Sep 2017, 8:19 am

TRJ isnt 6 foot 7 though. And Tremlett was only a squad player in the ashes tours he went on, rather than a core bowler. It would be a big surprise if TRJ didnt tour, but I dont expect him to be first name on the teamsheet if everyones fit.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 12 Sep 2017, 12:03 pm

Well I don't disagree TRJ won't be an automatic selection , Goose : but I suspect he will get a match or two.
As to Tremlett he was actually very important in the Tests he played in Melbourne and Sydney 2010 : his early wickets combined with Anderson and Bresnan in shooting Australia out for 98 in the morning that effectively decided the series.
Not saying TRJ will do likewise either Smile But I don't think we should worry over the fact that he doesn't hit 90 mph.

You don't actually have to be express to take wickets in Australia. Ask McGrath...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13