The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Coaching Questions

4 posters

Go down

The Coaching Questions Empty The Coaching Questions

Post by Derbymanc Sun 13 Aug 2017, 8:41 am

Every once in a while, the question of boxing coaches passes across my vision, and I’m always surprised at the completely differing perspectives and the vitriol thrown over the simple question of ‘would you be trained by a coach that has never stepped in the ring?’.

It’s a question that is so loaded, I’m surprised is doesn’t go bang when it pops up, names are thrown around as to those that have rose to greatness as coaches, despite never lacing them up (Cus D’amato, Enzo Calzaghe) to name 2 as others decry anyone that hasn’t been in the ring as unworthy of holding a ‘real’ boxers gloves. As is often the case with the internet, it then descends into name calling, pettiness and of course the obligatory 8 million memes............................

Continued at http://www.ringnews24.com/2017/08/12/answer-iswhatever-suits-really/#.WZACONIX0UQ

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

The Coaching Questions Empty Re: The Coaching Questions

Post by 3fingers Sun 13 Aug 2017, 9:15 am

I think coaches who haven't boxed can be great for developing amateur kids; they can compliment the make up of a gym by providing humour, discipline, and general fitness.

In my experience they tend to be lacking when it comes to technique, however, a club is always packed with experience and childhood hero's for kids to mimic, which in some part alleviates the issue. When it comes to technical drills, or tactical set pieces, they tend to rigidly follow a script, without offering much of the way of situational evolution.

That said, all factors considered, whether a coach has boxed or not, should play second fiddle to the relationship between boxer and cosch because a gym is full of specislists: motivators, amateur psychologists, S and C coaches, and currrent and ex fighters.

In my opinion, a coach who hasn't boxed, left to his own devices, in seclusion, without the help of a complimentary team would not produce a successful boxer.

Good question.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Sun 13 Aug 2017, 9:24 am

Wish i'd spoke to you before 3f's and put that in. Brilliant answer to the question and spot on in my humble opinion

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Sun 13 Aug 2017, 9:35 am

How are the boys coming on mate?

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Sun 13 Aug 2017, 9:57 am

Doing really well, lil lad feels like King of the Gym at the moment as most of the lads older than him won't spar him anymore as he either hits too hard, they can't hit him or (my fave excuse yet) 'he's too small so he can get my body easier'. :-)

He should be having his first skills bout soon but we're just trying to sort his medical out as seasons over and he can't get it done until Sep.

Lil Girl dropped back a bit for a while as she really didnt like sparring (although to be fair a lot of the boys were taking advantage of her nervousness) but she's stepped it up a bit and has been going to an all girls session which seems to have helped her confidence loads.
(Should write an update really)

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Sun 13 Aug 2017, 10:21 am

Brilliant, sounds like he's doing really well! Its good your daughter has found an all girls class. It's a real shame some young lads don't understand the concept of not taking liberties. I'm trying to get my four year old daughter interested but I'm losing the battle to dancing and princesses. Think I'll try her with BJJ. I'm not too bothered about her competing, just want her to be able to handle herself, she's too nice natured.

I like the idea of skills bouts - a fantastic Introduction to competing in front of a crowd without the pressure of having to win in front of friends and family.

Did you go ahead with your coaching badges? The teething problems of registering with the A.B.A.E Vault seem sorted... but It's all money! Registeration, Firrst Aid, DBS and Safeguarding Certificate sharp mount up.

I can see the worth in the checks, but it's just another barrier for people wanting to get into coaching.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Sun 13 Aug 2017, 10:42 am

It was a nightmare at one point as 2 of the lads were taking it out on her cause they couldn't get near her brother (although it was funny the following week when one was paired up with the wee lad for blocking training :-)

I did yeah, i'm on the bottom rung but due to my job we haven't registered me as in the corners as it's a lot of money for what is effectively 4 months of the year and we can't guarantee i'll be home during the season. Loving it though as i love seeing the kids just getting better and better

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 13 Aug 2017, 7:42 pm

It's an interesting one derby... and it crops up in all walks of life really. The skills required to be a trainer are totally different to those required to be a fighter... but it undoubtedly gives you a level of insight you don't get if you haven't done it.

Good luck with it, and great to see your kids doing well. Not sure I could handle watching my boys get punched in the face... it's bad enough when they're doing it to each other!

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Sun 13 Aug 2017, 10:31 pm

Class. Its great that the brother sticks up for the sister, you couldn't wish for more than that. Long may it continue.

Don't be so humble, there are some quality level one coaches. You don't need to to be in a corner or oversee sparring to offer something helpful.

Good luck to you and your little ones.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Mon 14 Aug 2017, 12:58 pm

I agree with 3fingers, I coach who hasn't boxed himself can bring plenty to the table, and that includes technical stuff. I did my assistants badge many years ago and there were several others on the course who hadn't boxed themselves, but could still demonstrate how to throw a decent shot.
Where they may struggle is with getting into the head space of their charges pre-bout. Being able to empathise with what a boxer may be feeling is important in my opinion. That said, in my experience boxers that were very talented often don't make the best coaches, -if you find something really easy it can be difficult to understand why others don't. When I started out, one of the coaches at my club had represented Nigeria at the highest level when he was young, and in the corner he could become exasperated with you and his advise would be along the lines "you have the tools-use them!" rather than concise instructions . Conversely, one the other coaches that hadn't boxed, was the opposite- and would advise what was and wasn't working, and what punches /combinations to throw, which I found much more helpful.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down