Refereeing in the Womans Rugby World Cup

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Refereeing in the Womans Rugby World Cup

Post by majesticimperialman on Sun 13 Aug 2017, 5:54 pm

Been watching the Womans Rugby World Cup

But what i do not understand is why men are refereeing some of the games? 

Surely it should be a woman to referee the women's game and a man to referee the men's game.

Is their a shortage of Women at the top to referee the Women's games or what?

discuss.

majesticimperialman

Posts : 4517
Join date : 2011-02-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Refereeing in the Womans Rugby World Cup

Post by The Great Aukster on Sun 13 Aug 2017, 6:12 pm

Outside of the RWC and the 6N there is next to no women's rugby player so the standard of the officials couldn't be too high. World Rugby obviously don't care about the game as it's not even on terrestrial tv.

The Great Aukster

Posts : 4272
Join date : 2011-06-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Refereeing in the Womans Rugby World Cup

Post by majesticimperialman on Sun 13 Aug 2017, 6:45 pm

Ga if you have sky tv the England games are on 113/114 HD channel.

majesticimperialman

Posts : 4517
Join date : 2011-02-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Refereeing in the Womans Rugby World Cup

Post by The Great Aukster on Sun 13 Aug 2017, 8:37 pm

The Ireland games aren't shown in NI except through eir. Just the thing to encourage a Belfast crowd to embrace the game and go to the later stages (not).

The Great Aukster

Posts : 4272
Join date : 2011-06-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Refereeing in the Womans Rugby World Cup

Post by aucklandlaurie on Mon 14 Aug 2017, 3:45 pm

I can't see what the issue is with men refereeing women's games, they do it all the time at club level, and its never been an issue before. Even though the all women officials team in Yesterdays New Zealand game didnt put a foot wrong.

 Tha question I would ask is, Why aren't the best referees in the World refereeing the Women at their World Cup.

aucklandlaurie

Posts : 7400
Join date : 2011-06-27
Age : 61
Location : Auckland

Back to top Go down

Re: Refereeing in the Womans Rugby World Cup

Post by Sin é on Mon 14 Aug 2017, 4:10 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:The Ireland games aren't shown in NI except through eir. Just the thing to encourage a Belfast crowd to embrace the game and go to the later stages (not).

Isn't RTE2 available in NI (the same way we can get BBC in Republic)?

Just for the record, the analysis is excellent on RTE2 (Fiona Steed, Lynn Cantwell & Rosie Foley).

EDIT:
edit: according to this http://www.merrionstreet.ie/en/News-Room/Releases/republic-of-ireland-digital-tv-channels-in-northern-ireland.46920.shortcut.html
94% of homes in NI can get the RTE1, 2 and TG4.


Last edited by Sin é on Mon 14 Aug 2017, 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Sin é

Posts : 13145
Join date : 2011-04-01
Location : Dublin

Back to top Go down

Re: Refereeing in the Womans Rugby World Cup

Post by cascough on Mon 14 Aug 2017, 4:15 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote:I can't see what the issue is with men refereeing women's games, they do it all the time at club level, and its never been an issue before. Even though the all women officials team in Yesterdays New Zealand game didnt put a foot wrong.

 Tha question I would ask is, Why aren't the best referees in the World refereeing the Women at their World Cup.

I tend to agree. I find it quite an odd connection to make to be honest. We are supposed to be breaking down silly prejudices (ie why can't women ref in the mens game etc) not reinforcing them. For that reason, it should be the best* referees available. Which may well be the people they have now. I don't see why it should have anything to do with gender.

*how you define best, well that's another discussion!

cascough

Posts : 734
Join date : 2016-11-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Refereeing in the Womans Rugby World Cup

Post by carpet baboon on Mon 14 Aug 2017, 5:11 pm

cascough wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:I can't see what the issue is with men refereeing women's games, they do it all the time at club level, and its never been an issue before. Even though the all women officials team in Yesterdays New Zealand game didnt put a foot wrong.

 Tha question I would ask is, Why aren't the best referees in the World refereeing the Women at their World Cup.

I tend to agree. I find it quite an odd connection to make to be honest. We are supposed to be breaking down silly prejudices (ie why can't women ref in the mens game etc) not reinforcing them. For that reason, it should be the best* referees available. Which may well be the people they have now. I don't see why it should have anything to do with gender.

*how you define best, well that's another discussion!

Over the last few seasons have seen a good few women reffing the men's game. Two particular stood out. One from Staffs and the other was from Hereford I think. Both excellent.
I agree gender shouldn't matter one bit, or age, as have seen some very good young refs knocking around the lower leagues. If your good at your job who cares about anything else

carpet baboon

Posts : 1420
Join date : 2014-05-08
Location : Midlands

Back to top Go down

Re: Refereeing in the Womans Rugby World Cup

Post by Gooseberry on Mon 14 Aug 2017, 5:12 pm

Why?
It really shouldnt matter. There does need ti be mire encouragement of female officials in all rugby but the womens game deserves the best referees available.
As does the mens game, and there should be no barriers to women officiating those games.


But yes there is a shortage of women at the top level, and real barriers including expectation to that changing


Last edited by Gooseberry on Mon 14 Aug 2017, 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Gooseberry

Posts : 3094
Join date : 2015-02-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Refereeing in the Womans Rugby World Cup

Post by geoff999rugby on Mon 14 Aug 2017, 5:13 pm

Sin é wrote:
The Great Aukster wrote:The Ireland games aren't shown in NI except through eir. Just the thing to encourage a Belfast crowd to embrace the game and go to the later stages (not).

Isn't RTE2 available in NI (the same way we can get BBC in Republic)?

Just for the record, the analysis is excellent on RTE2 (Fiona Steed, Lynn Cantwell & Rosie Foley).

EDIT:  
edit: according to this http://www.merrionstreet.ie/en/News-Room/Releases/republic-of-ireland-digital-tv-channels-in-northern-ireland.46920.shortcut.html
94% of homes in NI can get the RTE1, 2 and TG4.

We used to be able to watch 6N on RTE but it is blocked now.
May be the same here.
Getting RTE is not enough - sport comes on that clashes with a UK based provided - like Sky, and it remains blank till the next non sporting program

geoff999rugby

Posts : 2978
Join date : 2012-01-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Refereeing in the Womans Rugby World Cup

Post by Rugby Fan on Tue 15 Aug 2017, 2:51 am

There aren't enough women referees, so it's inevitable that World Rugby needs men to ensure a decent standard can be maintained. Most of the men refereeing in this tournament have officiated at women's Test matches before, so they are known to the teams playing regularly.

Rugby Fan

Posts : 4493
Join date : 2012-09-14

Back to top Go down

Re: Refereeing in the Womans Rugby World Cup

Post by Gwlad on Tue 15 Aug 2017, 6:18 pm

Maybe they had trouble parking their car and missed kick off

Gwlad

Posts : 4040
Join date : 2014-12-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Refereeing in the Womans Rugby World Cup

Post by ebop on Thu 17 Aug 2017, 11:56 am

Gwlad wrote:Maybe they had trouble parking their car and missed kick off
Xenophobic and sexist, nice work champ thumbsup
avatar
ebop

Posts : 3917
Join date : 2011-10-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Refereeing in the Womans Rugby World Cup

Post by aucklandlaurie on Thu 17 Aug 2017, 9:44 pm

Semis now are:

 France v England

&

New Zealand v USA.

aucklandlaurie

Posts : 7400
Join date : 2011-06-27
Age : 61
Location : Auckland

Back to top Go down

Re: Refereeing in the Womans Rugby World Cup

Post by geoff999rugby on Fri 18 Aug 2017, 9:04 am

Going back to the RTE question - as I suspected it was blocked in the north.

Essentially we can get RTE but all sport, bar GAA, seems to be blocked on RTE

Doesn't affect TG4 - we can get the rugby on there

geoff999rugby

Posts : 2978
Join date : 2012-01-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Refereeing in the Womans Rugby World Cup

Post by aucklandlaurie on Fri 18 Aug 2017, 9:29 am

geoff999rugby wrote:Going back to the RTE question - as I suspected it was blocked in the north.

Essentially we can get RTE but all sport, bar GAA, seems to be blocked on RTE

Doesn't affect TG4 - we can get the rugby on there

 Jeez Geoff do you work for MI5? is this some kind of secret code?

aucklandlaurie

Posts : 7400
Join date : 2011-06-27
Age : 61
Location : Auckland

Back to top Go down

Re: Refereeing in the Womans Rugby World Cup

Post by Gooseberry on Fri 18 Aug 2017, 10:11 am

aucklandlaurie wrote:Semis now are:

 France v England

&

New Zealand v USA.

Ah the bbc website headline from the last world cup ....

"England women face massive semi"

Gooseberry

Posts : 3094
Join date : 2015-02-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Refereeing in the Womans Rugby World Cup

Post by Gwlad on Sat 19 Aug 2017, 4:22 am

ebop wrote:
Gwlad wrote:Maybe they had trouble parking their car and missed kick off
Xenophobic and sexist, nice work champ thumbsup

you wouldn't know a sense of humor if it smacked you in the face, and I suggest you look up xenophobic since you're way off, as usual.

Gwlad

Posts : 4040
Join date : 2014-12-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Refereeing in the Womans Rugby World Cup

Post by ebop on Sat 19 Aug 2017, 5:22 am

Gwlad wrote:
ebop wrote:
Gwlad wrote:Maybe they had trouble parking their car and missed kick off
Xenophobic and sexist, nice work champ thumbsup

you wouldn't know a sense of humor if it smacked you in the face, and I suggest you look up xenophobic since you're way off, as usual.
lol, defending your typically pathetic and hamfisted attempt at humour. Maybe hang up your un-funny undies and stick to being xenophobic. At least you're really good at that thumbsup
avatar
ebop

Posts : 3917
Join date : 2011-10-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Refereeing in the Womans Rugby World Cup

Post by mikey_dragon on Sat 19 Aug 2017, 10:13 am

It's a shame Canada didn't make the latter stages, I thought they were really good.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 6549
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Refereeing in the Womans Rugby World Cup

Post by Gwlad on Sat 19 Aug 2017, 5:45 pm

ebop wrote:
Gwlad wrote:
ebop wrote:
Gwlad wrote:Maybe they had trouble parking their car and missed kick off
Xenophobic and sexist, nice work champ thumbsup

you wouldn't know a sense of humor if it smacked you in the face, and I suggest you look up xenophobic since you're way off, as usual.
lol, defending your typically pathetic and hamfisted attempt at humour. Maybe hang up your un-funny undies and stick to being xenophobic. At least you're really good at that thumbsup

you dont even know what xenophobic means do you? Yahoo hint, it isn't fear of the letter X.

Gwlad

Posts : 4040
Join date : 2014-12-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Refereeing in the Womans Rugby World Cup

Post by The Great Aukster on Sun 20 Aug 2017, 10:28 am

Gwlad, do you know anyone from NZ with a sense of humour?

The Great Aukster

Posts : 4272
Join date : 2011-06-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Refereeing in the Womans Rugby World Cup

Post by aucklandlaurie on Sun 20 Aug 2017, 4:47 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:Gwlad, do you know anyone from NZ with a sense of humour?

 I think Gwlad  confuses us with Australians? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs_rXxi0zhM

aucklandlaurie

Posts : 7400
Join date : 2011-06-27
Age : 61
Location : Auckland

Back to top Go down

Re: Refereeing in the Womans Rugby World Cup

Post by Gwlad on Sun 20 Aug 2017, 6:30 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:Gwlad, do you know anyone from NZ with a sense of humour?

Yes. the sheep.

Gwlad

Posts : 4040
Join date : 2014-12-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Refereeing in the Womans Rugby World Cup

Post by Gwlad on Sun 20 Aug 2017, 10:47 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote:
The Great Aukster wrote:Gwlad, do you know anyone from NZ with a sense of humour?

 I think Gwlad  confuses us with Australians? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs_rXxi0zhM

yep when I imagine ebop, the guy on the right..... Laugh

Gwlad

Posts : 4040
Join date : 2014-12-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Refereeing in the Womans Rugby World Cup

Post by ebop on Mon 21 Aug 2017, 7:18 am

gwlad is a dead ringer for albi Wales Laugh

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g9Qu3iP3RYA
avatar
ebop

Posts : 3917
Join date : 2011-10-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Refereeing in the Womans Rugby World Cup

Post by aucklandlaurie on Mon 21 Aug 2017, 8:51 am

And suddenly Gwlad wasn't racist anymore....

aucklandlaurie

Posts : 7400
Join date : 2011-06-27
Age : 61
Location : Auckland

Back to top Go down

Re: Refereeing in the Womans Rugby World Cup

Post by LordDowlais on Mon 21 Aug 2017, 3:52 pm

Why are people saying that this has not been on the tele ?

The whole thing has been aired on ITV4. Headscratch

I have watched a few games, and I do not mean to sound sexist, but the rugby ain't that good, and the crowds, surely this thing could have been done better.

LordDowlais

Posts : 11523
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: Refereeing in the Womans Rugby World Cup

Post by Gwlad on Mon 21 Aug 2017, 4:53 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote:And suddenly Gwlad wasn't racist anymore....

oh dear, clearly another concept you people down in NZ dont understand, so thats xenophobia and racism.

Gwlad

Posts : 4040
Join date : 2014-12-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Refereeing in the Womans Rugby World Cup

Post by Gwlad on Mon 21 Aug 2017, 5:08 pm

ebop wrote:gwlad is a dead ringer for albi  Wales  Laugh

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g9Qu3iP3RYA

still looking up xenophobia? hint, its towards the end of the dictionary.

Gwlad

Posts : 4040
Join date : 2014-12-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Refereeing in the Womans Rugby World Cup

Post by aucklandlaurie on Sat 26 Aug 2017, 9:56 pm

One would have thought that the final might have been worthy of a top level International referee, however the Irish lass did her best despite at times being out of her depth.

aucklandlaurie

Posts : 7400
Join date : 2011-06-27
Age : 61
Location : Auckland

Back to top Go down

Re: Refereeing in the Womans Rugby World Cup

Post by The Great Aukster on Sun 27 Aug 2017, 7:50 am

Don't Kiwis only complain about referees when they lose? ... maybe with the women's game they're more even handed...

The Great Aukster

Posts : 4272
Join date : 2011-06-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Refereeing in the Womans Rugby World Cup

Post by aucklandlaurie on Sun 27 Aug 2017, 8:01 am

The Great Aukster wrote:Don't Kiwis only complain about referees when they lose? ... maybe with the women's game they're more even handed...

 Kiwis only complain when the standard of refereeing is an insult the standard of the players playing the game . Winning or losing has absolutely nothing to do with it.

aucklandlaurie

Posts : 7400
Join date : 2011-06-27
Age : 61
Location : Auckland

Back to top Go down

Re: Refereeing in the Womans Rugby World Cup

Post by mikey_dragon on Sun 27 Aug 2017, 9:48 am

Gwlad wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:And suddenly Gwlad wasn't racist anymore....

oh dear, clearly another concept you people down in NZ dont understand, so thats xenophobia and racism.

It's no different from you when reading write-ups on Trump.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 6549
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Refereeing in the Womans Rugby World Cup

Post by Cardiff Dave on Sun 27 Aug 2017, 9:53 am

Gwlad wrote:
ebop wrote:
Gwlad wrote:Maybe they had trouble parking their car and missed kick off
Xenophobic and sexist, nice work champ thumbsup

you wouldn't know a sense of humor if it smacked you in the face, and I suggest you look up xenophobic since you're way off, as usual.

Handbags...

Cardiff Dave

Posts : 6314
Join date : 2011-11-29
Location : Cardiff reejun

Back to top Go down

Re: Refereeing in the Womans Rugby World Cup

Post by Cardiff Dave on Sun 27 Aug 2017, 9:58 am

Gooseberry wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:Semis now are:

 France v England

&

New Zealand v USA.

Ah the bbc website headline from the last world cup ....

"England women face massive semi"

Steady on boy. This is a family show.

Cardiff Dave

Posts : 6314
Join date : 2011-11-29
Location : Cardiff reejun

Back to top Go down

Re: Refereeing in the Womans Rugby World Cup

Post by Cardiff Dave on Sun 27 Aug 2017, 10:15 am

Gwlad wrote:
The Great Aukster wrote:Gwlad, do you know anyone from NZ with a sense of humour?

Yes. the sheep.

Chris?

Cardiff Dave

Posts : 6314
Join date : 2011-11-29
Location : Cardiff reejun

Back to top Go down

Re: Refereeing in the Womans Rugby World Cup

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum