The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Julius Indongo vs Terence Crawford for ALL the belts Sat 19th Aug

+9
LionsV2
Atila
Herman Jaeger
AdamT
BoxingFan88
88Chris05
quentins_monkey
TheSquaredCircle
Mr Bounce
13 posters

Go down

Julius Indongo vs Terence Crawford for ALL the belts Sat 19th Aug Empty Julius Indongo vs Terence Crawford for ALL the belts Sat 19th Aug

Post by Mr Bounce Fri 18 Aug - 18:20

Strange how this one has slipped under the radar - both unbeaten, for ALL 4 belts at 140lbs and one of the more exciting US champs, yet nobody seems to care. Shame really, as I really rate Crawford.

I think it's extremely unlikely that Indongo will win this, but he is awkward and is used to fighting away from home, capturing both of his belts away. Both have beaten Burns, Indongo more convincingly, although his fight was against a more "shopworn" Ricky. It's Bud's fight to lose I believe, although I think that Julius will make it at least a bit competitive. I reckon it'll be a UD for Crawford by 3-4 rounds. Either that or a strange finish with an injury.

This fight holds far more interest for me than the "fight" that's happening next weekend.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Julius Indongo vs Terence Crawford for ALL the belts Sat 19th Aug Empty Re: Julius Indongo vs Terence Crawford for ALL the belts Sat 19th Aug

Post by TheSquaredCircle Fri 18 Aug - 20:32

I don't think it's gone under the radar. It's come at a time when ppl are more fixated on the other fight. And times are such that people will find boxers like Crawford a bit of a bore. Shame really as he is probably pound for pound top 5 at the moment and this fight is better matched and more intriguing than the other.

TheSquaredCircle

Back to top Go down

Julius Indongo vs Terence Crawford for ALL the belts Sat 19th Aug Empty Re: Julius Indongo vs Terence Crawford for ALL the belts Sat 19th Aug

Post by quentins_monkey Sat 19 Aug - 5:18

This is definitely one of the more intriguing fights of the year - from the photos Indongo looks the bigger bloke but have always been impressed with Crawford and think he's one of the better fighters currently operating - both seem sturdy so can't see a stoppage so smart money would be on a Crawford UD...

It's refreshing to see two guys at the top of their division and in their primes battling for all the spoils - more fights like this need to happen

quentins_monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun 20 Aug - 9:55

A procession for Crawford as he takes home all the baubles at 140. The gulf in class was apparent right from the opening bell.

Don't think Indongo hit Crawford with a single shot of consequence, and while I think Crawford doesn't go to the body often enough, when he does choose to do so he really makes it count. That gut shot near the end of the second looked like it almost cut Indongo in half and it was no surprise that he was down and out the next time Crawford hit him with anything half-decent.

Hardly a ground-breaking opinion, I know, but if it ain't Mikey Garcia next then there's really no reason for Crawford to stay at 140 at any longer. He's clearly one of the best in the world right now, pound for pound. But if he can go to Welterweight and take someone like Thurman or Spence's belt and '0', then he could stake a serious claim to being top dog. He's good enough, make no mistake about that. Whatever he decides to do, let's just enjoy having a properly unified, undisputed champion, something which we don't see enough of.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sun 20 Aug - 11:50

It seemed he barely broke sweat. Some fighters, they just "know" when fighting in a big title unification where both are unbeaten - like Calzaghe against Lacey or Mayweather against Corrales. There was a gulf in class.

Crawford certainly has the tools to be the top dog. I really think he can get there. He certainly doesn't seem to want to duck anyone. Here's hoping that he gets the chance to fight the best challengers, constantly, and that boxing's politics don't start losing him the belts he rightfully owns. They surely have to make the Garcia fight?

Indongo showed he's a class act out of the ring by admitting he "Clearly lost to one of the best".

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 20 Aug - 12:10

Crawford did the business in the style a top 3 p4p should

He kept indongo off balance the whole night and found the perfect shot to finish it

Very impressive

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 20 Aug - 12:35

Just seen the fight. Crawford always impresses me.

Boxing Is perhaps lacking a current 'superstar', but it's in a healthy state with talent.

Joshua, Ward, Kovalev, GGG, Canelo, Thuman, Spence, Crawford, Garia, Lomachenko, Rigondeaux to name a few.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 20 Aug - 12:45

Didn't see the fight but shame Crawford won't get the Pacquaio fight because he deserves it as much as anyone else right now

Stage would have been set perfectly Crawford best light welter in world(unless Mikey Garcia has something to say about that) Pacquaio still best at 140 still unbeatable at 140???

If Pacquaio doesn't fight Crawford or Spence or Thurman after this Horn rematch then the networks really should question whether they really want to broadcast any future Pacquaio fights

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 20 Aug - 13:00

Would like to see Crawford stay at 140 though for a a few more fights show some dominance at the weight

Aren't there a couple of decent challengers now haven't seen them but Lipinets and Prograis and it hasn't exactly been a strong division the last couple of years 140 so yes he's unified but not beating that much in doing so?

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 20 Aug - 13:05

If Pac hadn't lost to Horn. Crawford would have too much now. Though it would be a nice pay day for him.

I think Manny will retire after Horn rematch.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Sun 20 Aug - 13:32

Congrats to Crawford. A genuine, undisputed world champ. I wonder how long it will last before he's stripped of a belt?

I don't particularly want to see him fight Pacquiao. We are all pretty sure who would win that fight so from a sporting view, what's the point?

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 20 Aug - 15:08

We know who would win out of Ward and Stevenson but we still want to see it:

http://www.boxingscene.com/video-andre-ward-talks-crawford-kovalev-stevenson-more--119665

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsV2 Sun 20 Aug - 17:34

First man in 13 years to fully unify a division, can't argue with that.

LionsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 20 Aug - 18:22

It would happen more often if they would actually fight each more often

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Sun 20 Aug - 18:23

Ward v Stevenson is a unification. It actually serves a bit of purpose and I can't see it being the certainty that Pacquiao v Crawford would be.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 20 Aug - 18:37

It cost Crawford and Indongo 100k each in sactioning fees or about 12% of the purse to have all titles up for grabs. No wonder it doesnt happen very often.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 20 Aug - 18:59

Who was the last to unify all four belts?

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 20 Aug - 19:00

I'm going to guess Hopkins, but probably way off.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 20 Aug - 19:11

Atila wrote:Ward v Stevenson is a unification. It actually serves a bit of purpose and I can't see it being the certainty that Pacquiao v Crawford would be.

You're probably right it's not a certain Ward win

The question is will we get to see it Stevenson seemed very keen on the Ward/Kovalev winner in lead up to Stevenson's last fight but in that interview Ward was suggesting there's been no contact? Surely Stevenson isn't going to do it again?

Crawford against Pacquaio would be good but Crawford against either Spence or Thurman would be better at this point

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsV2 Sun 20 Aug - 20:59

AdamT wrote:I'm going to guess Hopkins, but probably way off.

Until yesterday he and Taylor were the only boxers to hold all four major titles simultaneously; Calzaghe was the only other to have won all four but not concurrently, I believe.

LionsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 20 Aug - 21:08

Crawford is a class operator and congrats to him for owning all 4 belts but man it's a sh*t division... indongo is the Carlos maussa of his day.

Now Crawford Garcia would be a fight... but Crawford would have natural size advantage. If he goes to welter there's some good fights there which will show his true level.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Sun 20 Aug - 22:33

milkyboy wrote:Crawford is a class operator and congrats to him for owning all 4 belts but man it's a sh*t division... indongo is the Carlos maussa of his day.

Now Crawford Garcia would be a fight... but Crawford would have natural size advantage. If he goes to welter there's some good fights there which will show his true level.
Maussa was an all time great when Hatton beat him. Very Happy

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 20 Aug - 22:56

There are too many divisions, especially in the lower weight classes. It diltues the talent and waters down the divisions.

The 140 division has had some good fighters but generally been the B league to the 147lb division.

Crawford should graduate up to the big league now.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon 21 Aug - 9:28

Crawford has definitely shown that he wouldn't be out of place in the welterweight division he'll be a very skilful addition to the division it's the size thing that  makes it interesting he can probably beat most of them bar the top two three or four if he became number one welterweight then you'd have to call him the real deal. Long way to go though especially if he don't have Tony Weeks to help him out

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsV2 Mon 21 Aug - 9:31

Herman Jaeger wrote:Crawford has definitely shown that he wouldn't be out of place in the welterweight division he'll be a very skilful addition to the division it's the size thing that  makes it interesting he can probably beat most of them bar the top two three or four if he became number one welterweight then you'd have to call him the real deal. Long way to go though especially if he don't have Tony Weeks to help him out
What?

LionsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon 21 Aug - 9:36

Weeks was spoiling Postol's work on the inside(where Postol would obviously be at his most dangerous very much like Hatton with Cortez) I'd thought we'd gone through this already

C'mon try to keep up

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsV2 Mon 21 Aug - 9:37

I lose track of all your complaining, just another excuse for a Eastern European losing to an American.

LionsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon 21 Aug - 9:39

What the f£k do I care if a Eastern European loses to an American?

You've really lost me now

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 21 Aug - 9:45

I think Crawford is most certainly the real deal Herman.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon 21 Aug - 9:51

Well Adam, he really needs to beat a Spence or a Thurman before you can say that I guess

Maybe start off against Porter then followed by Matthyssse before a crack at a title

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 21 Aug - 9:55

Herman you're a hard man to please.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 21 Aug - 9:55

You do realise Crawford has done more than Kovalev?(mentioned him, because know you're a fan)

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon 21 Aug - 9:58

Very debatable Adam, very debatable

I'm a fan of a lot of boxers though so don't see your point on Kovalev

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 21 Aug - 9:59

My point is, if Crawford hasn't proved himself, then Kovalev most certainly hasn't.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon 21 Aug - 10:01

I didn't say that Crawford hasn't proved himself though you're distorting my words

I said that Crawford has definitely proved he's worthy of a crack at the welterweight title

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 21 Aug - 10:02

Obviously he is worthy! He is one of the best p4p fighters on the planet and 140lb king!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon 21 Aug - 10:04

Being 140lb king is one thing

Conquering the welterweight division is a different matter entirely!

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 21 Aug - 10:05

I would make him favourite over everyone bar Spence.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon 21 Aug - 10:13

I'd make Thurman favourite to beat Spence if Errol boxes like he did the first half his fight with Brook

Crawford against either two good fights I think

Like to see Crawford in with a bigger guy who could really bust him up two as I mentioned Porter or Lucas even Danny

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 21 Aug - 12:05

Reminded me of Curry v McCrory...Indongo didn't fancy it and it was Amateur night...Like McCrory lots of over reaching with meaningless punches and when you over reach you stay in range longer.

Seemed relieved when it was over..

Crawford was professional and is very talented.

Damp squib though.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sat 2 Sep - 10:39

Well that lasted a long time... Crawford has already ditched the IBF belt due to their insistence on him facing their mandatory within 90 days. "Thanks, but no thanks" says Crawford. Rumours are he's moving up...

http://www.espn.co.uk/boxing/story/_/id/20508570/terence-crawford-vacated-ibf-version-junior-welterweight-world-title

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Sat 2 Sep - 23:05

Poor Terence. How dare anyone expect him to fight in three months time. Three fights in year? It's more than unreasonable, it's disgusting.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down