Connacht Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 2 September

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Connacht Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 2 September

Post by George Carlin on Mon 21 Aug 2017, 7:26 am

First topic message reminder :

                 
Connacht Rugby v Glasgow Warriors
2 September 2017
KO: 19:35
The Sportsground, Galway

Live on BBC Alba and TG4

Referee: [tbc]
Assistant Referees: [tbc]
Citing Commissioner: [tbc]
TMO: [tbc]

A. Head to Head

31 Played 31
9 Wins 19
19 Losses 9
3 Draws 3
55 Tries 82

B. Form

2017-03-25
Glasgow 35 - 24 Connacht

C. Teams

Connacht Rugby

D Leader, C Kelleher, E Griffin, B Aki, M Healy, J Carty, K Marmion, D Buckley, T McCartney, F Bealham, U Dillane, J Cannon, E Masterson, J Butler, J Muldoon.

Replacements: Shane Delahunt, Peter McCabe, Conor Carey, Sean O'Brien, Eoin McKeon, Conor McKeon, Craig Ronaldson, Tom Farrell.

Glasgow Warriors

R Jackson, L Masaga, A Dunbar, S Johnson, L Jones, P Horne, A Price; J Bhatti, G Turner, Z Fagerson, T Swinson, S Cummings, R Wilson (capt), M Smith, A Ashe.

Replacements: J Malcolm, O Kebble, A Nicol, G Peterson, M Fagerson, H Pyrgos, A Hastings, L Sarto.


Last edited by George Carlin on Sat 02 Sep 2017, 1:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
avatar
George Carlin
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 13751
Join date : 2011-06-23
Location : United Arab Emirates

Back to top Go down


Re: Connacht Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 2 September

Post by jimbopip on Tue 29 Aug 2017, 12:14 pm

Someone on another forum said Kebble looks like he ate a prop for lunch.

jimbopip

Posts : 3654
Join date : 2012-10-14
Location : sunny Essex

Back to top Go down

Re: Connacht Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 2 September

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man on Tue 29 Aug 2017, 4:18 pm

George Carlin wrote:Kebble, Brown and Fagerson.

We'll need to wait a little while to see it, but that could be one of the best 3 front row combinations in the league.

Brown out for another 8 weeks afraid to say !
avatar
21st Century Schizoid Man

Posts : 3320
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Glasgow

Back to top Go down

Re: Connacht Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 2 September

Post by George Carlin on Wed 30 Aug 2017, 6:57 am

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:
George Carlin wrote:Kebble, Brown and Fagerson.

We'll need to wait a little while to see it, but that could be one of the best 3 front row combinations in the league.

Brown out for another 8 weeks afraid to say !
Yep that's what I meant feller.

There's a buzz about Scotstoun at the moment and if you look at the quality of the youngsters around, it must be a nice place to be.

Very sad that I can't get back for any of the matches (at the moment).
avatar
George Carlin
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 13751
Join date : 2011-06-23
Location : United Arab Emirates

Back to top Go down

Re: Connacht Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 2 September

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man on Wed 30 Aug 2017, 7:40 am

Yes GC your point that with that front row we can take on anyone - as long as Fraz can hook the ball .   With Pat MacArthur, James Malcolm and George Turner all there too things look good up front.  Think James Malcolm will get the nod for this game as he looked good up in Stirling.
avatar
21st Century Schizoid Man

Posts : 3320
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Glasgow

Back to top Go down

Re: Connacht Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 2 September

Post by RDW_Scotland on Wed 30 Aug 2017, 8:51 am

Lots of confidence from the Weegies this season!

For what it's worth I reckon youse will definitely do better than last year and will make the playoffs, but I fear you're still missing players in some key positions to win the league or make a meaningful impact in Europe.

Glasgow are still fairly lightweight in the back row and are lacking a beast of a ball carrier are a menacing blindside to make the hard yards against the big packs - Ashe and Wilson and young Fagerson are very athletic players but fall short when you compare them to the top 8s in Europe.

Similarly I think there's a big drop down in class at hooker with Brown injured - all solid players but none really stand out. Hopefully one of them steps up to the plate this season.

Take Hogg and Seymour out of the back 3 and I think the replacements aren't massively exciting compared to the tops teams, although the new Kiwi winger looks like he could be a great signing.

Saying that, Rennie has said that for all the talk of great attacking rugby you need a good solid platform up front - he worked wonders with the Chiefs without them being full of All Black forwards so he may do the same with Glasgow.

p.s. before anyone starts, this is me just being picky and in no way am I trying to say Edinburgh are in a better position, which they clearly aren't!

RDW_Scotland
Admin
Admin

Posts : 21416
Join date : 2011-06-01
Age : 30
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Connacht Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 2 September

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man on Wed 30 Aug 2017, 1:38 pm

Bob Harley is hardly a lightweight but I generally speaking see what you mean with the immense Josh Strauss away. Might we be getting Big Naka back as the rumour mill has it on the Ws forum?
avatar
21st Century Schizoid Man

Posts : 3320
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Glasgow

Back to top Go down

Re: Connacht Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 2 September

Post by BigGee on Wed 30 Aug 2017, 2:44 pm

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:Bob Harley is hardly a lightweight but I generally speaking see what you mean with the immense Josh Strauss away.  Might we be getting Big Naka back as the rumour mill has it on the Ws forum?

That rumour has been kicking around for a while, but much as we would all like to see it come true, it is hard to see how.

Leaving aside the question of how we could afford it, we are also pretty overstocked with 2nd rows now and some pretty decent ones at that. If he was to come back, you would imagine he would be playing at No.8 or Cummings would be. He certainly looks, from what we saw in pre-season, that he might have the pace to do so.

I agree that we do still look light in the back row, so maybe there is some plan here still to unfold. Liam Messon was mentioned a while back as well and that all went quiet.

All very fascinating but none of them are going to be here for the Connacht game or any time soon I would say.

BigGee

Posts : 3915
Join date : 2013-11-05
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Connacht Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 2 September

Post by RDW_Scotland on Wed 30 Aug 2017, 2:57 pm

As a pro backrow forward Harley is a decent size but at the top level of European rugby and international level 6ft 6 and just over 17 stones certainly can't be classed as a big bruiser. He's built like a lightweight lock as opposed to a big backrow forward (who are probably optimal around 6ft 4 and 18 stone).

I really rate Harley and if you combine him with a big ball carrying number 8 (like Strauss) and a physical scavenging openside (like Watson/Hardie) I think you have a really balanced back row.  If you combine him with Wilson and Fusaro for example I don't think it is very balanced.

RDW_Scotland
Admin
Admin

Posts : 21416
Join date : 2011-06-01
Age : 30
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Connacht Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 2 September

Post by BigGee on Wed 30 Aug 2017, 3:42 pm

I met Rob Harley and shock his hand after the Saracens game last year. I am by no means small but he absolutely dwarfed me. You really do have to get up close to some of these professional rugby players to really appreciate how big and physical they actually are.

It is not the fact that he is to small that holds him back as a BS though, it is the lack of carrying. He is an absolute workhorse that will go for 80 mins without tiring but he is just not as explosive as other back rows who have that speed and power over 10 metres that allows them to break tackles. Rob's strength lies in his defensive abilities but that in itself is not enough to cut it at the really highest levels for a back row player. His game is more suited to playing in the second row in many ways, other than he is probably a stone to light to be really effective there as he would lack pure grunt.

His genetics have not quite given him the perfect hand unfortunately.

BigGee

Posts : 3915
Join date : 2013-11-05
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Connacht Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 2 September

Post by jimbopip on Wed 30 Aug 2017, 4:53 pm

Gee, RDW, I'm not sure I'm on the same page as you on the "lightweight back row" thinking.

First up, and by far most importantly, Renzo seems to be a firm believer in athletic, dynamic forwards rather than big units.

Secondly, a back row of Vunisa-Ashe-Gibbins could not be considered small. Of course this would give us a second choice of Harley-Wilson-Fagerson. (You could swap Ashe and Batman if you think the captain should be in the firsts) and that's none too shabby either.

I don't think we're light in the second row, at all at all. Nor do I think Naka can play 8 anywhere near as effectively as he plays second row. I know there are some very specific, technical reasons for this: all I will say is that there aren't many second rows in the world I would pick before Naka, but Picamoles and Keiran Reid are streets ahead of him as a no.8.(for me at least)

As for young Cummings: when I saw him against Racing at Rugby Park he was smiling and laughing and very much looking like he'd won a trip to Disneyland. Just excited to be there, was my interpretation.
I think I may have misjudged him. He now looks like someone in his element. He reminds me very much of the first time I saw Richie Gray, at Firhill thrashing the MFL, a player who was very comfortable and composed despite his lack of experience. Like Gray he also seems to be much faster and more mobile than the other forwards around him.

So, Gray, Brian, Swinson, Cummings and Peterson. I don't think we're short in the second row either.

Can't wait for the season to begin.

jimbopip

Posts : 3654
Join date : 2012-10-14
Location : sunny Essex

Back to top Go down

Re: Connacht Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 2 September

Post by RDW_Scotland on Wed 30 Aug 2017, 5:00 pm

That's all very interesting Jimbo but I didn't say you were short in the 2nd row...

RDW_Scotland
Admin
Admin

Posts : 21416
Join date : 2011-06-01
Age : 30
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Connacht Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 2 September

Post by George Carlin on Wed 30 Aug 2017, 5:25 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:That's all very interesting Jimbo but I didn't say you were short in the 2nd row...
Merely in the trouser department.
avatar
George Carlin
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 13751
Join date : 2011-06-23
Location : United Arab Emirates

Back to top Go down

Re: Connacht Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 2 September

Post by BigGee on Wed 30 Aug 2017, 5:27 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:That's all very interesting Jimbo but I didn't say you were short in the 2nd row...

Me neither, if anything we are overstocked, which unfortunately makes the return of Naka even more unlikely.

BigGee

Posts : 3915
Join date : 2013-11-05
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Connacht Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 2 September

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man on Wed 30 Aug 2017, 5:27 pm

Talking of Big Brian - he looks a tad fierce in the team photie Run
avatar
21st Century Schizoid Man

Posts : 3320
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Glasgow

Back to top Go down

Re: Connacht Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 2 September

Post by RDW_Scotland on Wed 30 Aug 2017, 5:29 pm

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:Talking of Big Brian - he looks a tad fierce in the team photie Run

And that was him smiling!

RDW_Scotland
Admin
Admin

Posts : 21416
Join date : 2011-06-01
Age : 30
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Connacht Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 2 September

Post by RDW_Scotland on Wed 30 Aug 2017, 5:30 pm

BigGee wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:That's all very interesting Jimbo but I didn't say you were short in the 2nd row...

Me neither, if anything we are overstocked, which unfortunately makes the return of Naka even more unlikely.

Senior moment from Jimbo again? monkey

RDW_Scotland
Admin
Admin

Posts : 21416
Join date : 2011-06-01
Age : 30
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Connacht Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 2 September

Post by Hazel Sapling on Wed 30 Aug 2017, 5:51 pm

What sort of team are Connacht expected to put out? What sort of conditions are expected in Galway (sunny and windy or raining and windy)?

Hazel Sapling

Posts : 936
Join date : 2015-05-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Connacht Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 2 September

Post by jimbopip on Wed 30 Aug 2017, 6:03 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
BigGee wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:That's all very interesting Jimbo but I didn't say you were short in the 2nd row...

Me neither, if anything we are overstocked, which unfortunately makes the return of Naka even more unlikely.

Senior moment from Jimbo again? monkey
No, it was just that when Gee referred to His Harleyness as, and I paraphrase, too big for a 6 and too wee for a 5 I started thinking about our embarrassment of riches in the second row. Oh if only we had a lock of Grant Gichrist's World Classishness then everything would be rosy.

jimbopip

Posts : 3654
Join date : 2012-10-14
Location : sunny Essex

Back to top Go down

Re: Connacht Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 2 September

Post by George Carlin on Wed 30 Aug 2017, 6:13 pm

I love this lock stuff:

Greg/Geoff/Oscar Peterson - 6'8", 20st 3lbs
Brian Alainu’uese - 6'8", 21st 2lbs
Jonny Gray - 6'6", 19st 5lbs

Not small by any professional standard, so I wouldn't worry too much about a lack of ballast.
avatar
George Carlin
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 13751
Join date : 2011-06-23
Location : United Arab Emirates

Back to top Go down

Re: Connacht Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 2 September

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man on Wed 30 Aug 2017, 7:16 pm

Scott Cummings and Kieran MacDoanld are not exactly Peter Dinklage size either. See what I did there and I don't even watch it Rolling Eyes
avatar
21st Century Schizoid Man

Posts : 3320
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Glasgow

Back to top Go down

Re: Connacht Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 2 September

Post by jimbopip on Wed 30 Aug 2017, 7:28 pm

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:Scott Cummings and Kieran MacDoanld are not exactly Peter Dinklage size either.   See what I did there and I don't even watch it Rolling Eyes
laughing laughing laughing

jimbopip

Posts : 3654
Join date : 2012-10-14
Location : sunny Essex

Back to top Go down

Re: Connacht Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 2 September

Post by jimbopip on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 10:17 am

jimbopip wrote:
21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:Scott Cummings and Kieran MacDoanld are not exactly Peter Dinklage size either.   See what I did there and I don't even watch it Rolling Eyes
laughing laughing laughing

Tyrion Horne at scrum half?

jimbopip

Posts : 3654
Join date : 2012-10-14
Location : sunny Essex

Back to top Go down

Re: Connacht Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 2 September

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 1:19 pm

Do not even think about The Nutter playing on Saturday Mr Pip. As he has not played a game of rugby for about a year he will take a wee while to get up to match fitness. Anyway think he will go for Jacko 15, Ali Price / Henry P @ 9 / 21
avatar
21st Century Schizoid Man

Posts : 3320
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Glasgow

Back to top Go down

Re: Connacht Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 2 September

Post by jimbopip on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 1:48 pm

Aye Sciz, the Magician will be off the pace for a wee while.

Apparently Cockers came through to Scotstoun during the week to watch him train. Decided not to sign him because none of the Luvvies would be able to keep up with him.

jimbopip

Posts : 3654
Join date : 2012-10-14
Location : sunny Essex

Back to top Go down

Re: Connacht Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 2 September

Post by George Carlin on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 1:53 pm

jimbopip wrote:Aye Sciz, the Magician will be off the pace for a wee while.

Apparently Cockers came through to Scotstoun during the week to watch him train. Decided not to sign him because none of the Luvvies would be able to keep up with him.
Also, Niko was unable to state which three brands of champagne one would keep inside a proper wicker picnic basket which accordingly to McBumfterie Club Rule No.56(7) renders him immediately ineligible to enter the Edinburgh city limits.
avatar
George Carlin
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 13751
Join date : 2011-06-23
Location : United Arab Emirates

Back to top Go down

Re: Connacht Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 2 September

Post by RDW_Scotland on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 1:56 pm

George Carlin wrote:
jimbopip wrote:Aye Sciz, the Magician will be off the pace for a wee while.

Apparently Cockers came through to Scotstoun during the week to watch him train. Decided not to sign him because none of the Luvvies would be able to keep up with him.
Also, Niko was unable to state which three brands of champagne one would keep inside a proper wicker picnic basket which accordingly to McBumfterie Club Rule No.56(7) renders him immediately ineligible to enter the Edinburgh city limits.

We need to maintain our standards don't you know!

RDW_Scotland
Admin
Admin

Posts : 21416
Join date : 2011-06-01
Age : 30
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Connacht Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 2 September

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 3:33 pm

Well talking of hampers - I have packed my bag (Lidl plastic, 5p) with 4 tins of Punk IPA for the ferry (to Belfast tomorrow , then Galway) and a large pack of full fat , full salt, chunky cheese and onion crisps for solids. I have no doubt this will be chased doon with a few guinness guinness guinness and a bacon and square sausage doubler. Wah -hey !

WE ARE WARRIORS
avatar
21st Century Schizoid Man

Posts : 3320
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Glasgow

Back to top Go down

Re: Connacht Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 2 September

Post by Marshes on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 5:55 pm

Hazel Sapling wrote:What sort of team are Connacht expected to put out? What sort of conditions are expected in Galway (sunny and windy or raining and windy)?

As an official emissary from the Whest I can give that a go! So far only players we know are out are Adeolokun, O Halloran, Blade, and Nawai in the forwards. So, unlike previous seasons opening day, the tea lady can deliver the tea without having to worry about coming on in the pack in the 60th minute, which is nice! But there are a few not quite match fit and just returned to training this week like Buckley, Heenan etc. But I'll say we could see (some hopefully):

CONNACHT: Buckley; McCartney, Bealham, Dillane; Browne, Masterson; Butler, Muldoon (C), Marmion, Carty, Healy, Ronaldson, Aki, Scholes, Leader

Among the replacements I'd expect Cooney, Delahunt, Coulson, Thornbury, O Brien, Mckeon, Crosbie, Kelleher.

I hope that Buckley can make it back to start because he makes a massive difference there, and quality in the scrum dips noticeably when himself and Bealham come off. Be interested to see inf Denis Coulson is parachuted in from the Top 14 as well.

Dillane is hopefully nailed on, and there are a lot of lads scrambling for the shirt next to him but Browne started against Bristol so I'd say he gets the nod. Gavin Thornbury is ex-Leinster back from a few years in the Mitre 10 Cup in NZ and I think could be a great partner to Dillane.

Good depth and strength in the backrow. Could see the ones listed or also Connolly, Heenan, or McKeon.

Marmion to start and bring his usual quick tempo hopefully. With Cooney gone to Ulster and Blade injured it will be one of the young lads in either Conor McKeon or Stephen Kerins. Depth behind Carty is pretty threadbare, I'm dreading what we see from flyhalf from about 60 minutes on.

Established centre partnership in Ronaldson and Aki, but may see Griffin in for either.

Healy and Scholes are both very tricky as well as strong finishers, and Leader is a great prospect. I'm not convinced by Kelleher but him to get the final bench spot with Adeolokun injured.

Rain predicted as well in Galway surprise surprise!


Marshes

Posts : 764
Join date : 2012-11-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Connacht Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 2 September

Post by Marshes on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 5:56 pm

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:Well talking of hampers - I have packed my bag (Lidl plastic, 5p) with 4 tins of Punk IPA for the ferry (to Belfast tomorrow , then Galway) and a large pack of full fat , full salt, chunky cheese and onion crisps for solids.   I have no doubt this will be chased doon with a few guinness guinness guinness and a bacon and square sausage doubler.  Wah -hey !

WE ARE WARRIORS

Hope you have a ball there mate! Galway should be very welcoming, they will be in mighty high spirits ahead of the Hurling final on Sunday!

Marshes

Posts : 764
Join date : 2012-11-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Connacht Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 2 September

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 7:21 pm

Ochh yeah they normally are decent bunch of folk Pity the weather looks like being crappy.
avatar
21st Century Schizoid Man

Posts : 3320
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Glasgow

Back to top Go down

Re: Connacht Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 2 September

Post by BigGee on Fri 01 Sep 2017, 12:12 pm

Glasgow Warriors team to play Connacht in the Guinness PRO14 at the Sportsground in Galway, Saturday 2 September, live on BBC ALBA (kick-off 7.35pm). You can also follow the action on Twitter @GlasgowWarriors. Glasgow Warriors appearances in brackets:

15. Ruaridh Jackson (113)

14. Lelia Masaga (0)

13. Alex Dunbar (99)

12. Sam Johnson (24)

11. Lee Jones (54)

10. Peter Horne (115)

9. Ali Price (42)



1. Jamie Bhatti (6)

2. George Turner (0)

3. Zander Fagerson (50)

4. Tim Swinson (96)

5. Scott Cummings (17)

6. Ryan Wilson (127) CAPTAIN

7. Matt Smith (3)

8. Adam Ashe (39)



Replacements:



16: James Malcolm (18)

17. Oli Kebble (0)

18. Adam Nicol (1)

19. Greg Peterson (21)

20. Matt Fagerson (9)

21. Henry Pyrgos (125)

22. Adam Hastings (0)

23. Leonardo Sarto (8)


Not a bad looking Warriors side out for a first hit out!

BigGee

Posts : 3915
Join date : 2013-11-05
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Connacht Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 2 September

Post by George Carlin on Fri 01 Sep 2017, 12:33 pm

Craggy Islanders:
(15-9) Darragh Leader, Cian Kelleher, Eoin Griffin, Bundee Aki, Matt Healy, Jack Carty, Kieran Marmion,

(1-8) Denis Buckley, Tom McCartney, Finlay Bealham, Ultan Dillane, James Cannon, Eoghan Masterson, Jarrad Butler, John Muldoon

Replacements (16-23): Shane Delahunt, Peter McCabe, Conor Carey, Sean O’Brien, Eoin McKeon, Conor McKeon, Craig Ronaldson, Tom Farrell.
avatar
George Carlin
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 13751
Join date : 2011-06-23
Location : United Arab Emirates

Back to top Go down

Re: Connacht Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 2 September

Post by George Carlin on Fri 01 Sep 2017, 1:00 pm

BigGee wrote:Glasgow Warriors team to play Connacht in the Guinness PRO14 at the Sportsground in Galway, Saturday 2 September, live on BBC ALBA (kick-off 7.35pm). You can also follow the action on Twitter @GlasgowWarriors. Glasgow Warriors appearances in brackets:

15. Ruaridh Jackson (113)

14. Lelia Masaga (0)

13. Alex Dunbar (99)

12. Sam Johnson (24)

11. Lee Jones (54)

10. Peter Horne (115)

9. Ali Price (42)



1. Jamie Bhatti (6)

2. George Turner (0)

3. Zander Fagerson (50)

4. Tim Swinson (96)

5. Scott Cummings (17)

6. Ryan Wilson (127) CAPTAIN

7. Matt Smith (3)

8. Adam Ashe (39)

Replacements:

16: James Malcolm (18)

17. Oli Kebble (0)

18. Adam Nicol (1)

19. Greg Peterson (21)

20. Matt Fagerson (9)

21. Henry Pyrgos (125)

22. Adam Hastings (0)

23. Leonardo Sarto (8)


Not a bad looking Warriors side out for a first hit out!
Rennie really is going for some young home grown talent.

What a chance for young Adam Nichol - not the biggest for a prop but he held up well against the England U20s this year.

Matt Fagerson is also coming with quite a big reputation.

If the weather sucks, I can see the Selkirk Pixie being subbed for the larger and more dynamic Sarto.

Looking forward to the new season.
avatar
George Carlin
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 13751
Join date : 2011-06-23
Location : United Arab Emirates

Back to top Go down

Re: Connacht Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 2 September

Post by NeilyBroon on Fri 01 Sep 2017, 1:31 pm

George Carlin wrote:
BigGee wrote:Glasgow Warriors team to play Connacht in the Guinness PRO14 at the Sportsground in Galway, Saturday 2 September, live on BBC ALBA (kick-off 7.35pm). You can also follow the action on Twitter @GlasgowWarriors. Glasgow Warriors appearances in brackets:

15. Ruaridh Jackson (113)

14. Lelia Masaga (0)

13. Alex Dunbar (99)

12. Sam Johnson (24)

11. Lee Jones (54)

10. Peter Horne (115)

9. Ali Price (42)



1. Jamie Bhatti (6)

2. George Turner (0)

3. Zander Fagerson (50)

4. Tim Swinson (96)

5. Scott Cummings (17)

6. Ryan Wilson (127) CAPTAIN

7. Matt Smith (3)

8. Adam Ashe (39)

Replacements:

16: James Malcolm (18)

17. Oli Kebble (0)

18. Adam Nicol (1)

19. Greg Peterson (21)

20. Matt Fagerson (9)

21. Henry Pyrgos (125)

22. Adam Hastings (0)

23. Leonardo Sarto (8)


Not a bad looking Warriors side out for a first hit out!
Rennie really is going for some young home grown talent.

What a chance for young Adam Nichol - not the biggest for a prop but he held up well against the England U20s this year.

Matt Fagerson is also coming with quite a big reputation.

If the weather sucks, I can see the Selkirk Pixie being subbed for the larger and more dynamic Sarto.

Looking forward to the new season.

Good first squad, little disappointed not to see Horne Jr on the bench. I like Pyrgos but he has lost a lot of his zip in the last season, he's a bit more like Laidlaw now except without the same quality of game management.

Looking forward to seeing what Masaga can do!
avatar
NeilyBroon

Posts : 744
Join date : 2012-01-12
Age : 26
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Connacht Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 2 September

Post by BigGee on Fri 01 Sep 2017, 1:46 pm

[quote="George Carlin"][What a chance for young Adam Nichol - not the biggest for a prop but he held up well against the England U20s this year.

quote]

You are kidding aren't you, he is a very big lad. There was talk of him being 120kg when he was playing in the U20s! The Scotland pack barely moved when he was playing and he used to last for pretty much a whole match as well. He is another huge (excuse the pun prospect).

BigGee

Posts : 3915
Join date : 2013-11-05
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Connacht Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 2 September

Post by George Carlin on Fri 01 Sep 2017, 1:50 pm

BigGee wrote:
George Carlin wrote:[What a chance for young Adam Nichol - not the biggest for a prop but he held up well against the England U20s this year.

quote]

You are kidding aren't you, he is a very big lad. There was talk of him being 120kg when he was playing in the U20s! The Scotland pack barely moved when he was playing and he used to last for pretty much a whole match as well. He is another huge (excuse the pun prospect).
Not kidding. When I met him last year, he was indeed a big lump but some of the dump trucks I have met are off the scale massive. He wasn't one of those but I suspect he could be with a few years of professional conditioning under his weight belt. Again, a mega prospect and I'm delighted to see so many of the kids who did well in the U20 RWC getting a chance.
avatar
George Carlin
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 13751
Join date : 2011-06-23
Location : United Arab Emirates

Back to top Go down

Re: Connacht Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 2 September

Post by Marshes on Fri 01 Sep 2017, 2:25 pm

George Carlin wrote:Craggy Islanders:
(15-9) Darragh Leader, Cian Kelleher, Eoin Griffin, Bundee Aki, Matt Healy, Jack Carty, Kieran Marmion,

(1-8) Denis Buckley, Tom McCartney, Finlay Bealham, Ultan Dillane, James Cannon, Eoghan Masterson, Jarrad Butler, John Muldoon

Replacements (16-23): Shane Delahunt, Peter McCabe, Conor Carey, Sean O’Brien, Eoin McKeon, Conor McKeon, Craig Ronaldson, Tom Farrell.

Much as expected there, glad Buckley is fit to start, and looking forward to seeing what Butler can do! Great starting 15, worried about the front row, but rest of the subs should add oomph

Delighted to have the rugby back, Connacht Abu! Yahoo Yahoo

Marshes

Posts : 764
Join date : 2012-11-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Connacht Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 2 September

Post by jimbopip on Fri 01 Sep 2017, 2:59 pm

BigGee wrote:Glasgow Warriors team to play Connacht in the Guinness PRO14 at the Sportsground in Galway, Saturday 2 September, live on BBC ALBA (kick-off 7.35pm). You can also follow the action on Twitter @GlasgowWarriors. Glasgow Warriors appearances in brackets:

15. Ruaridh Jackson (113)

14. Lelia Masaga (0)

13. Alex Dunbar (99)

12. Sam Johnson (24)

11. Lee Jones (54)

10. Peter Horne (115)

9. Ali Price (42)



1. Jamie Bhatti (6)

2. George Turner (0)

3. Zander Fagerson (50)

4. Tim Swinson (96)

5. Scott Cummings (17)

6. Ryan Wilson (127) CAPTAIN

7. Matt Smith (3)

8. Adam Ashe (39)



Replacements:



16: James Malcolm (18)

17. Oli Kebble (0)

18. Adam Nicol (1)

19. Greg Peterson (21)

20. Matt Fagerson (9)

21. Henry Pyrgos (125)

22. Adam Hastings (0)

23. Leonardo Sarto (8)


Not a bad looking Warriors side out for a first hit out!

A mighty interesting team, indeed. chin Certainly Renzo is telling the squad that every place is up for grabs.

Have that front row played together? Have the replacement front row? Young Zander has more Glasgow appearances than the other 5 put together. Shocked

Wilson-Ashe-Smith, interesting that Batman starts at 6. With Fagerson2 on the bench that is a very mobile back row.

Furra Linee at 10, ahead of Hastings and Jackson.Shocked But I think Renzo likes the idea of Sam Johnson popping up at first receiver, so he and Furra will be pretty fluid with Furra attacking the 12 channel.

Johnson 12 Dunbar 13. Carwyn James, the Welsh genius, when asked what he would do if Union was professional said, "If I had pots of gold, the first thing I'd do is go out and sign two attacking centres." I think Johnson runs better attacking lines than Dunbar, but lacks his physicality. However, with Jones, Grigg, Vernon and Kelly waiting this is an area of real strength for Glasgow.

Jones-Jackson-Massaga This could be lethal (to the opposition). Sarto-Hogg-Seymour to come. I think I may get a nosebleed just thinking about the potential here.

And we still have Niko waiting to fit in somewhere. Yahoo

jimbopip

Posts : 3654
Join date : 2012-10-14
Location : sunny Essex

Back to top Go down

Re: Connacht Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 2 September

Post by Hazel Sapling on Sat 02 Sep 2017, 12:45 am

Inexperienced pack on the Glasgow side. Does the front row have no one older than 25 in it? Thankfully, from what Marshes said, it looks like Connacht will only potentially be in a position of strength for an hour.

That backline is scary. Says a lot about how L Jones is viewed that Sarto can't displace him. Jackson can hopefully take some of the kicking pressure off Horne. Both sides will be able to put up points in a hurry.

Hazel Sapling

Posts : 936
Join date : 2015-05-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Connacht Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 2 September

Post by George Carlin on Sat 02 Sep 2017, 7:57 pm

Sounds like it's slashing down.
avatar
George Carlin
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 13751
Join date : 2011-06-23
Location : United Arab Emirates

Back to top Go down

Re: Connacht Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 2 September

Post by Griff on Sat 02 Sep 2017, 8:21 pm

The weather really affecting this one. Up n unders being blown backwards and into touch! Glasgow can't get out of their own half here. A wet, windy arm wrestle at the moment.

Griff

Posts : 7164
Join date : 2011-06-03
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Connacht Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 2 September

Post by jimbopip on Sat 02 Sep 2017, 8:26 pm

A grim old evening. But, we should have the wind behind us in the second half.

jimbopip

Posts : 3654
Join date : 2012-10-14
Location : sunny Essex

Back to top Go down

Re: Connacht Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 2 September

Post by George Carlin on Sat 02 Sep 2017, 9:07 pm

Anyone got a link that works? Can't use Iplayer from here.
avatar
George Carlin
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 13751
Join date : 2011-06-23
Location : United Arab Emirates

Back to top Go down

Re: Connacht Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 2 September

Post by Eejit on Sat 02 Sep 2017, 9:20 pm

Blimey, Galway looks minging. Lovely little pop-up from Jean-Paul there for the try.

Eejit

Posts : 284
Join date : 2015-02-24
Location : London, via Glasgow

Back to top Go down

Re: Connacht Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 2 September

Post by jimbopip on Sat 02 Sep 2017, 9:36 pm

A win is a win.
Credit to the Craggy Islanders they never stopped battling.
Horne and Jones put in very good performances, I thought.

jimbopip

Posts : 3654
Join date : 2012-10-14
Location : sunny Essex

Back to top Go down

Re: Connacht Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 2 September

Post by Marshes on Sat 02 Sep 2017, 9:36 pm

Ah crap, close fought game on an absolutely dire day for playing rugby! I'm sure when the Saffers arrive for an away game in Galway they will regret ever signing up to the tournie!

Congrats to the Glasgow fans, some moments of class told in a mucky dogfight and I think you will only get better from here with more experience under Rennie. I thought we would get a lot more change out of the scrum as a base for attack but Warrior's young bucks were very strong there. Some moments which could have swung either way, but not too disappointed with what I saw. Defence held solid for the most part against a very threatening backline, and hopefully in better weather we will see better attacking rugby.

Marshes

Posts : 764
Join date : 2012-11-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Connacht Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 2 September

Post by George Carlin on Sat 02 Sep 2017, 9:44 pm

Marshes wrote:Ah crap, close fought game on an absolutely dire day for playing rugby! I'm sure when the Saffers arrive for an away game in Galway they will regret ever signing up to the tournie!

Congrats to the Glasgow fans, some moments of class told in a mucky dogfight and I think you will only get better from here with more experience under Rennie. I thought we would get a lot more change out of the scrum as a base for attack but Warrior's young bucks were very strong there. Some moments which could have swung either way, but not too disappointed with what I saw. Defence held solid for the most part against a very threatening backline, and hopefully in better weather we will see better attacking rugby.
Props to your boys Marshes - seems to have been very close indeed.
avatar
George Carlin
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 13751
Join date : 2011-06-23
Location : United Arab Emirates

Back to top Go down

Re: Connacht Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 2 September

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man on Mon 04 Sep 2017, 9:09 am

Got back from game late last night after driving like a lunatic to catch a ferry in Belfast due to traffic on road from Galway to Dublin for the Croke Park GAA final (well done Galway for winning it btw).  Then on arrival at Cairnryan faced with diversion from hell  as A77 closed.  Deepest darkest South Ayrshire - how can anyone live there Shocked Shocked Shocked

Brilliant weekend as usual oot West .  This is easily the best away trip of the season and the Galwegians welcome us with real warmth.  Drinking what seemed like 300 pints of guinness  over 2 days now means I weigh the same as Old Kebble.

Game played in utterly dire conditions and we all got soaked and blown TF on the terracing too.  We kept singing throughout and Ryan W made sure all the players came over to applaud us as we applauded them at the finish.  

Game was amazing and I would have take taken 4 pts before the match if offered.  My MoM was Tim Swinson although Alex Dunbar ran him very close as did Adam Ashe.     I put it elsewhere that Lee Jones is now our most improved player - he works brilliantly with Ali Price.   Scores a lot of important tries for us now.   Ali Price and Henry Pyrgos need to work on game mangt, tbh but minor grip in as much as i nearly had a fit o 'apoplexy when they didn't kick to touch at end of 40/80. Connacht will take a lot of points from our rival at the Sportsground and elsewhere - a very tough defence to crack.

WE ARE WARRIORS


Last edited by 21st Century Schizoid Man on Mon 04 Sep 2017, 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Omission)
avatar
21st Century Schizoid Man

Posts : 3320
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Glasgow

Back to top Go down

Re: Connacht Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 2 September

Post by BigGee on Mon 04 Sep 2017, 9:18 am

News on the injured players does not see to be to bad.

Adam Hastings sustained a nasty gash on his thigh that required suturing. That will probably keep him out for a couple of weeks whilst it heals, but it should not be anything long term. Sam Johnson went off for a HIA and did not come back on, but did not look in any great discomfort. He is likely to miss out next week you would imagine.

The better news is that Finn Russell is available for selection as, you would imagine are a few others who have not played yet. Callum Gibbens springs to mind.

BigGee

Posts : 3915
Join date : 2013-11-05
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Connacht Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 2 September

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man on Tue 05 Sep 2017, 8:10 am

Matt Smith may be due a rest so Calum Gibbens could start with Matt Fagerson benching again.
avatar
21st Century Schizoid Man

Posts : 3320
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Glasgow

Back to top Go down

Re: Connacht Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 2 September

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum