The 2017 US Open

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The 2017 US Open

Post by sirfredperry on Mon 21 Aug 2017, 9:37 am

Rather than add on to the Cinci topic, I've started this USO preview. As has been said, this year's NY GS looks unpredictable. As I write we are not even sure if Murray and Fed will play. Rafa has just gone to number one but wasn't great at Montreal or Cinci, but as a two-time USO victor he must not be counted out.
   Assuming Fed recovers from his back problem, he can be expected to go deep. Kyrgios and Dimi are in form. Don't know about Thiem. Cilic, if he plays, may do well. I think if Murray is fit, he could go deep. Lots of may be's, could be's, ifs and buts about this tournament.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Re: The 2017 US Open

Post by Guest82 on Mon 21 Aug 2017, 9:50 am

As per the other thread - Fed is favourite for me, if he plays.

After that - Zverev is probably the form horse, but has never been beyond R4 at a slam.

Dimitrov and Kyrgios had a good week this week, but are both unpredictable and perhaps in Dimitrov's case has mental issues against the very best.

Nadal - had a good season to date and world number one. Hasn't had a great few weeks on hard courts and may be suffering from his clay exploits. Still, he's fit and healthy and tough to beat over five sets for anyone. Previous winner too.

Murray - if he's fit then he has a good chance too. Perhaps a bit undercooked.

Cilic - again, if fit he could show up and do some damage.

Don't think Thiem has a chance. He's quite poor on hard courts.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy on Mon 21 Aug 2017, 9:53 am

I'm not sure how it looks unpredictable - unless it's to guess who the losing finalist will be. Fed is the outstanding favourite and it would be a major surprise if he didn't win. I don't see anyone else as in either the form or fitness to even give him a decent match. I'm expecting it to be a relatively simple coronation of his return to number 1.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry on Mon 21 Aug 2017, 10:01 am

BS - If the Fed back prob is just a niggle, then, yes, the Swiss could be considered favourite. But at the moment we don't know how he fit he is. Or at least I myself don't know how fit he is. Hence my caution.
   May be he was never going to play Cinci if he went deep at Montreal, so perhaps the pull out was merely precautionary.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 on Mon 21 Aug 2017, 12:14 pm

Born Slippy wrote:I'm not sure how it looks unpredictable - unless it's to guess who the losing finalist will be. Fed is the outstanding favourite and it would be a major surprise if he didn't win. I don't see anyone else as in either the form or fitness to even give him a decent match. I'm expecting it to be a relatively simple coronation of his return to number 1.

Fed is 36, lost the last match he played (possibly due to injury) and withdrew from the last tournament. He's not won the US Open since 2008 either.

I agree he is favourite, but it wouldn't be a massive surprise if he doesn't win it.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill on Mon 21 Aug 2017, 1:32 pm

Fed's injury is definately a concern but who knows, maybe he'll be fit.

This could be the first slam for a long time where it's debatable what is more likely, a big four winner, or someone from outside the big 4. As said, very open. I don't think Dimitrov or Thiem or Zverev will win it, maybe Kyrgios can build form throughout the tournament, or Federer, or even someone completely unexpected.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half on Mon 21 Aug 2017, 2:46 pm

It's interesting that the USO probably has had more 'surprise' winners than the other slams since the start of the Federer/Nadal era.

Winners since 2004:

AO: Federer X5, Safin , Djokovic x6, Nadal, Wawrinka

FO: Gaudio, Nadal x eleventy billion, Federer, Djokovic, Wawrinka

Wimbeldon: Federer x 8 (inc 2003), Nadal x 2, Djoko x 2, Murray x 2

USO: Fed x 5, Del Potro, Nadal, Djoko x 2, Murray, Cilic,, Wawrinka

I guess a combination of late season fatique and the relatively quick courts that suit more players both play a part in the success of the likes of Cilic or JMDP.

Federer probably stards as favourite, especially if fully fit, but there are big question marks against Nadal (form on HC) and Murray (fitness). Cilic and Del Boy are outsiders, and Zverev looks the best bet of the others.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar on Mon 21 Aug 2017, 3:09 pm

I guess if fit Fed is the favourite, but I can't help feeling it will be a bridge too far for him.  Nadal has got to be in the conversation, but his season has the feel of tailing off a bit for me.  I'd be amazed if Andy Murray can win 7 matches on the bounce after the summer he's had.  A fit Cilic would have to be in the conversation as a past winner and Wimbledon finalist.

Unlike my feelings before Wimbledon, I think there's a very good chance that we'll have that rarest of things in the recent men's game, a brand new slam winner.  In the last 13 years we've had 5 of those and all on HC, 2 at Aus (Djoko '08 Wawrinka '14) and 3 at US (Del boy '09, Murray '12, Cilic '14).  In 2003-2004 we had 4 of them (Ferrero, Fed, and Roddick '03, Gaudio '04), and if you go back to the previous year, 2002, another 2 (Johansson & Costa) - 5 of those were one-hit wonders....

Zverev, Dimitrov, Kyrgios and others should start feeling hungry.
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx on Mon 21 Aug 2017, 4:06 pm

I don't think anyone really looks like winning it. The trophy could go unclaimed this year.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry on Mon 21 Aug 2017, 4:16 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:I don't think anyone really looks like winning it. The trophy could go unclaimed this year.
In General Election terms, it would be a hung trophy, then. Would they seek to Play It Again, (Uncle) Sam as soon as possible so a winner could finally emerge, or will Stan the Man try to hang on to the trophy even though he didn't actually win, or play, this year?

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill on Mon 21 Aug 2017, 11:01 pm

Federer's odds at 6-4 don't look attractive, especially when you consider the possibility of an injury. Rafa second favourite at 5-2 doesn't look attractive either. Murray's odds range fropm 5 to 10 depending on the bookmaker. I guess it's tricky to say when we don't know how fit he is.

Kyrgios, Dimitrov, Cilic, Thiem can be had around 15 or 20.

Berdych at Tsonga are 66 look better value to me for a punt if they are fit. Are they both fit?

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 on Tue 22 Aug 2017, 9:13 am

Henman Bill wrote:Federer's odds at 6-4 don't look attractive, especially when you consider the possibility of an injury. Rafa second favourite at 5-2 doesn't look attractive either. Murray's odds range fropm 5 to 10 depending on the bookmaker. I guess it's tricky to say when we don't know how fit he is.

Kyrgios, Dimitrov, Cilic, Thiem can be had around 15 or 20.

Berdych at Tsonga are 66 look better value to me for a punt if they are fit. Are they both fit?

I would be on Betfair laying Thiem at 15 or 20. He should be more like 50/1 IMO.

Guess the value is with Zverev or Kyrgios. If it isn't Federer I think it'll be a new slam winner. I would also back Murray at 10/1, depending on his draw. He can beat 90% of the tour playing at 70% fitness.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam on Tue 22 Aug 2017, 6:25 pm

Born Slippy wrote:I'm not sure how it looks unpredictable - unless it's to guess who the losing finalist will be. Fed is the outstanding favourite and it would be a major surprise if he didn't win. I don't see anyone else as in either the form or fitness to even give him a decent match. I'm expecting it to be a relatively simple coronation of his return to number 1.

Not certain how it's a certainty for Fed. These days the slow US Surface hardly help in. There will be some kind of injury doubt and any kind of tough rounds will have an impact

Could be very interesting, but I think one of the top three will win it, provided all are reasonably fit - simply because it's a slam and they usually step up and the others don't

I'd contradict myslef by saying that actually it's in Dimitrov's hands. Be interested to ses if he goes up another gear after Cincy. I doubt it though

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 on Tue 22 Aug 2017, 7:00 pm

banbrotam wrote:

Not certain how it's a certainty for Fed. These days the slow US Surface hardly help in. There will be some kind of injury doubt and any kind of tough rounds will have an impact

Of course there's no certainty !  Not even remotely. I suspect BS was just in a cheeky provocative mood when writing that post. But it's not a perspective borne out by tennis history.

A player can look 'on-song', hot, whatever  - be it over the course of a season, or just during the course of a specific event - yet we all know very well how it can all come to an end. Very swiftly .... seemingly in the blink of an eye even. The Montreal Final was a clear - and VERY recent - case in point where Federer is concerned. And the chances of it all coming apart is of course inevitably so much greater when the demands of a Slam come into the mix ..... two weeks, seven rounds, best of five. Lots of banana skins.

All we can say about Fed is that he is a strong contender based on achievements this year to date, and his excellent overall record at the USO. All Slams however are littered with surprise exits - whether through sudden injury, a standout performance from an unfancied player, or simply an inexplicable loss of form by the favourite.  No player can ever be considered invincible - and the very notion that any 36 year-old could be ..... it really doesn't even hold water !

Even with a weakened field, there are all sorts of guys capable of going all the way at this last Slam of the season.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry on Wed 23 Aug 2017, 5:40 pm

Must say I keep checking the sports news hoping that there's no article saying either Andy M or Fed have pulled out of the USO. Spose the longer the week goes on the more likely it is that one, or both, will be fit.
   Fed's back problem makes his decision to skip the clay-court season this year even more rational. Even if the worst happens and he is unable to play much more this year it's been an incredible 2017 for him. 
   Good win yesterday at Winston-Salem for Kyle Edmund who overcame Medvedev (a real prospect) in three. This is just the sort of match - a tight three-setter - that Kyle's been losing of late.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry on Thu 24 Aug 2017, 8:13 am

Encouraging news re Federer this morning. He says his back is much better so it looks as if he's going to be OK for New York. Edmund thru another round at W-Salem but faces tough battle against Steve Johnson next.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 on Thu 24 Aug 2017, 9:07 am

Raonic has now withdrawn from USO.

Pretty sure both Federer and Murray will play. Don't expect Fed to struggle too much.

Murray could be anything. Unless he has a shocker I expect him to make R4 easily enough. From there depends on his physical condition. On one hand I think Murray needs matches to get his game going, but on the other had if he returns to 80% of last years level he's probably the best player in the draw (perhaps bar Fed).

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by Just John on Thu 24 Aug 2017, 10:17 am

The absolute state of this US open. Embarrassing. Federer can't believe his luck at these withdrawals. Never thought he'd ever increase his tally of 17 grand slams, and now he could have 20 by season end.

Just John

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar on Thu 24 Aug 2017, 12:15 pm

Federer will play barring something unexpected  happening between now and his first match.  He's been practising at the USO, including practice points as well as more controlled routines, and, so he says, feeling much better and ready for the Tournament.

I was looking at a Skysports preview of the USO, they have Fedal as the headline picks on 2017 form followed by the usual suspects on current form Dimitrov, Zverev, Kyrgios.  They mention that since 2005 there have only been three occasions when a Slam was won outside the 'big 5' of Fed/Djoko/Nadal/Murray/Wawrinka; Safin Aus 2005, Del boy US 2009, Cilic US 2014.  They don't say it, but I recalled that each of those guys had to beat Federer on the way; whilst I'd agree that a fit Federer is the marginal favourite this time, I think the USO will remain elusive for him as it has since 2008, but I would not be at all surprised if the ultimate winner has to get past him to do it.  

If both of Fedal have a good run the draw might be important - a final for either of them vs. a young gun after a Fedal SF in which #1 was on the line might be rather tough.
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by MrInvisible on Thu 24 Aug 2017, 1:03 pm

With Djoko, Wawrinka, Nishikori and now Raonic out, someone could end up with a really easy draw through to the final. It seems unthinkable at this stage of their careers that all 4 slams could be won by both Federer and Nadal - surely its the moment for a 1st time slam winner? Here's my thoughts, in order of my favourites:

Federer - yes, I agree with him being favourite but the odds are too short. Don't see too many players being able to stop him though. Murray and Alex Zverev are names he would want to avoid in the draw, and Cilic will be up for revenge, Kyrgios or Del Potro could be tough though I'd make Federer favourite should he play either.

Murray - The uncertainty over Murray's physical state makes this a tough tournament to call - if he survives the 1st week unscathed and is serving well, surely he's got to be 2nd favourite, based on his record at US Open.

Cilic - He looked really good at Wimbledon - yes, the final was a match to forget but he was unlucky with those blisters, and lets not forget he's won US Open before.

Nadal - I'm not convinced he'll have what it takes to go all the way on the Flushing Meadow hardcourts, but with a good draw and growing confidence through the tournament, who knows.

Zverev - Genuine contender for the title after winning Montreal. I still think its slightly too early in his career for him, but on his current form he can reach semis at least. Physically I'm not sure he's capable of winning back to back 5 setters, so he has much better chance if he can keep his matches shorter.

After that I don't think Kyrgios or Dimitrov will go all the way but they are capable of beating 1 or even 2 of the above. Del Potro and one of the French players (Pouille, Paire, Monfils or Tsonga) capable of creating an upset to one of the players above too but even less likely to win title than Kyrgios or Dimitrov.

I'll also be interested to see how Shavapolov gets on.

MrInvisible

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 on Thu 24 Aug 2017, 2:06 pm

I see Nadal as a very strong contender. If he can navigate his way through week one, and come through unscathed (which I fully expect him to do) then as MrInvisible says, he will take a lot of confidence into the business end.

True, he fell short both at Montreal and Cincy. But he has been playing well right from the start of the year, came close to taking the AO, and is - unusually - in good physical shape as the season moves into the latter stages.

Equally, would not be surprised to see Zverev take his big step forward by capturing a first Slam. He looks very comfortable against established players.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Belovedluckyboy on Thu 24 Aug 2017, 2:42 pm

Nadal should be a strong contender no doubt. At the slams he's a different animal esp when he's playing at a high level throughout a season. I don't see him repeating the poor showings of 2015/2016; it'll be more like his earlier more successful seasons.

I think Dimi will do better than AZverev at the USO, having reached the AO SF and having the winning momentum from Cincy. It'll be interesting to see them in the same quarter and see how they fare against each other.

Belovedluckyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill on Thu 24 Aug 2017, 3:58 pm

Pop quiz hotshots: which player (men's singles) is defending (i.e. that means actually playing thisyear) the most points at this year's US Open? No sneaky googling allowed.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Belovedluckyboy on Thu 24 Aug 2017, 4:10 pm

Monfils? He reached the SF last year, he's playing this year right?

Stan (winner), Djoko (finalist) and Kei (the other SFinalist) will be absent this USO.

Belovedluckyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry on Fri 25 Aug 2017, 8:38 am

One guy in good form ahead of the USO is Kyle Edmund who beat Steve Johnson last night in three sets to reach the semis in Winston-Salem. That's six wins in six days for the Brit who had to qualify for this event.
   We've now reached Friday and still no bad news about Murray having to drop out. Only thing I could find today was Brad Gilbert saying a six-month break may have worked for Fed but would not be a good idea for most players, incl Andy.
   It's the USO draw today. Main interest will be whether Rog is in Rafa's half or not. I see Denis Shapovalov is into the last round of qualifying. Thought he might have got a WC for the main draw.

Last edited by sirfredperry on Fri 25 Aug 2017, 8:41 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : change wording)

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy on Fri 25 Aug 2017, 9:40 am

sirfredperry wrote:One guy in good form ahead of the USO is Kyle Edmund who beat Steve Johnson last night in three sets to reach the semis in Winston-Salem. That's six wins in six days for the Brit who had to qualify for this event.
   We've now reached Friday and still no bad news about Murray having to drop out. Only thing I could find today was Brad Gilbert saying a six-month break may have worked for Fed but would not be a good idea for most players, incl Andy.
   It's the USO draw today. Main interest will be whether Rog is in Rafa's half or not. I see Denis Shapovalov is into the last round of qualifying. Thought he might have got a WC for the main draw.

In fairness, his ranking would be good enough for Kyle to have been seeded in W-S. He must have decided late to enter - hence playing qualies. That said, he's still done well to reach the SF. Looks a winnable SF as well. Hope he can do it.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry on Fri 25 Aug 2017, 9:51 am

BS. Ta for the explanation. Couldn't understand why Kyle had to qualify. Seems to have done him good, though!

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 on Fri 25 Aug 2017, 10:24 am

sirfredperry wrote:One guy in good form ahead of the USO is Kyle Edmund who beat Steve Johnson last night in three sets to reach the semis in Winston-Salem. That's six wins in six days for the Brit who had to qualify for this event.

The USO have pretty much all pre-determined wildcards. Swapsies with Australia and French, plus a college champion and a winner of some qualifying event. I think Isner and some others kicked up a fuss when they gave Delpo, a past champion, a wildcard last year.

They don't tend to give them out to non-Americans, especially as they have a group of young players making a name for themselves.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 on Fri 25 Aug 2017, 10:26 am

Born Slippy wrote:

In fairness, his ranking would be good enough for Kyle to have been seeded in W-S. He must have decided late to enter - hence playing qualies. That said, he's still done well to reach the SF. Looks a winnable SF as well. Hope he can do it.

Edmund has Dzumhur in the semi-final, a very winnable match. He's already beaten Medvedev and Johnson, so probably starts as favourite.

I seem to remember him making R16 last year at USO, so he has some points to defend.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry on Fri 25 Aug 2017, 5:47 pm

USO main draw. Rafa and Fed in same half ! Fed plays Tiafoe first. Murray has American Sandgren first up.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 on Fri 25 Aug 2017, 6:43 pm

So if they both make it that far - and it's a big IF - then Fedal are slated for a first-time USO meeting, in the semis.

My hunch is that Rafa would be favourite for that clash, albeit not by much. Why ? Because I believe he will be very, very determined to a) assert his return to the No. 1 position, and b) stop Federer's current h2h run of 4-0

Fairly generous title odds for Murray and Zverev who are both showing at 7/1 on at least one site.

Wonder how far Sharapova will go with her highly controversial WC.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 on Fri 25 Aug 2017, 7:03 pm

Glorious draw for Murray. Pretty much guaranteed the semi final if he's 70% fit.

Fed has the nightmare of Kyrgios in R4. But easier with Thiem QF.

Rafa has potential Fognini in R4 and the nightmare QF with Dimitrov.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 on Fri 25 Aug 2017, 7:04 pm

Sharapova v Halep R1!

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx on Fri 25 Aug 2017, 10:17 pm

Murray plays Tennys.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 on Fri 25 Aug 2017, 11:21 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:Murray plays Tennys.

We know that. He's been doing it for years, it's his job.

But who is he up against in Round 1 ....... Headscratch

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry on Sat 26 Aug 2017, 8:17 am

For a player coming back from injury after a comparatively poor season, Murray has been kindly treated by the draw. Just look at some of the first-round opponents he could have drawn.
   Fed could face Querrey/Kyrgios at some stage but looks to have a comfortable path til then.
   I just feel that Rog and Rafa are fated never to meet in New York. Something will happen to prevent it this time. 
   Edmund lost his W-Salem semi to Dzhumur after taking the first set 6-1. A pity. Kyle's got Robin Haase in the first round in New York. Tough match.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Nadalnation on Sat 26 Aug 2017, 11:59 am

Federer gets Tiafoe in the 1St rd Lopez in rd 3, kyrgios in 4, Thiem in quaters and then Rafa. That's a tough draw.

Rafa could face berdych or fognini in rd4 and then dimitrov and then Roger.

Murray has nobody even remotely challenging until the semi which zverev most likely won't even make it too.

He's had the kindest draws at the slams this year.

Nadalnation

Back to top Go down

Post by prostaff85 on Sat 26 Aug 2017, 4:32 pm

In my view the toughest R4 opponent for the top seeds is Kyrgios - he's in Federer's section of the draw, and the toughest QF opponent is Dimitrov who's in Rafa's quarter. Combining that with the fact that Nadal and Federer are in the same half of the draw, Murray has indeed been rather lucky!

Cilic is a questionmark having not played since Wimbledon, Thiem is not (yet) a real force on hardcourts, Tsonga has been very poor after a promising start to 2017, Isner tends to underperform in the Slams, Berdych is apparently not fully fit and Delpo has lost it a bit since last year's Olympics and DC heroics.

Could the unpredictable Gulbis be a banana skin for Zverev?!
prostaff85

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 on Sat 26 Aug 2017, 5:57 pm

Outright title odds have narrowed somewhat for Kyrgios and Dimitrov, who are now both being offered at 16/1 (previously 25/1), along with Cilic.

Safe to say those odds will promptly tumble again if they look sharp in the very early rounds.

But I guess Zverev is better value at 11/2.

Quite a rarity (over recent years at least) to have a Slam where the field includes FIVE different past Champs. Would have been seven if Djokovic and Wawrinka had not been forced to sit it out.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry on Sat 26 Aug 2017, 6:24 pm

A word on the women's draw. Apparently as many as EIGHT women could get to number one (not all at once, of course).
   Well, the numero uno position is open to THREE men, too. There have been so few changes at the top in the men's game in recent years that this, at least, adds some interest. If you look back there were some years when the number one ranking changed almost on a weekly basis. I think the shortest tenure since 04 was a 17-week stint by Rog in 2012. Most of the others have been quite long, with around a year at the top the minimum.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Nadalnation on Sat 26 Aug 2017, 9:49 pm

So Murray withdraws the day after the draw is made. I bet the sponsors and us broadcasters are really peed off. No potential for a Fedal final and if one off them doesn't make the final then the ratins will be awful and they'll lose out on ad revenue.

Nadalnation

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 on Sat 26 Aug 2017, 9:57 pm

That half of the draw looks really weak now. Massive opportunity for Zverev.

I think we have Fed, Rafa, Dimitrov, Kyrgios, Thiem & Del Po all in the same half.

Only Zverev and Cilic as realistic title contenders from the other half.

Guess Murray will be replaced by a lucky loser?

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues on Sat 26 Aug 2017, 10:03 pm

Why do people keep mentioning Delpo as a contender? He has no BH and will not be winning anything here. That said, agree the top half is miles stronger.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 on Sat 26 Aug 2017, 10:09 pm

I see Cilic has been moved to Murrays slot in the draw. Provided he's fit that is very nice for him and also for Zverev who avoids the Cilic quarter final.

Delpo was high in the betting, I guess because he's won before and only a year ago at the Olympics he was playing good tennis.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by Nadalnation on Sun 27 Aug 2017, 1:00 pm

Still don't understand why Murray didn't pull out before the draw was made. He's basically completely unbalanced the draw. He must have known the day before that he wasn't fit. Was to make the path tougher for one of Fedal? Seems a bizarre and selfish call to make it after the draw.

Nadalnation

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx on Sun 27 Aug 2017, 3:52 pm

Nadalnation wrote:Still don't understand why Murray didn't pull out before the draw was made. He's basically completely unbalanced the draw. He must have known the day before that he wasn't fit. Was to make the path tougher for one of Fedal? Seems a bizarre and selfish call to make it after the draw.

Rafael Nadal has withdrawn from Roland-Garros 2016 with a left wrist injury sustained shortly before his arrival in Paris.

"I have to retire from the tournament because I have a problem in my wrist that I have since couple of weeks," said the nine-time champion. 
"I arrived here with a little bit of pain but I thought it was something I would be able to manage, but every day it got a bit worse.

Was it bizarre and selfish of Rafa to start the FO last year, only to pull out injured, when he knew he was injured before the FO began?

These guys want to play - desperate to play - and they wait as long as they can before they pull out. Would people have preferred it if Murray played one round then pulled out?

And what about Warwinka at Wimby - ""I had problems with the knee since Queen's. It is not something new but something I had in the past. Apparently grass is not the best surface for my knee and I need to figure out what I'm going to do and come back when I have no pain.
"I thought two weeks between Queen's and now would be enough but it wasn't." - was it bizarre and selfish to play one round even though he had little chance of progressing, thus messing up the draw in his section?

Last edited by JuliusHMarx on Sun 27 Aug 2017, 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy on Sun 27 Aug 2017, 3:53 pm

Worst prediction ever?

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2017/08/us-open-mens-preview-kyrgios-murray-federer-nadal-dimitrov-zverev/68773/

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 on Sun 27 Aug 2017, 5:06 pm

Worst prediction ever ....? Really ......??  Headscratch

Well it's safe to say that anyone who enjoys the gift of hindsight (which, sadly, I myself do not ....) would not have picked Murray as a possible semi-finalist.

But of course (as the Editor's addendum points out), the article was penned before Murray had actually announced his withdrawal.

That apart, the predictions seem far from outlandish to me -  consisting as they do, of three players inside the Top Ten, along with a fourth ranked at 17.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy on Sun 27 Aug 2017, 6:26 pm

lags72 wrote:Worst prediction ever ....? Really ......??  Headscratch

Well it's safe to say that anyone who enjoys the gift of hindsight (which, sadly, I myself do not ....) would not have picked Murray as a possible semi-finalist.

But of course (as the Editor's addendum points out), the article was penned before Murray had actually announced his withdrawal.

That apart, the predictions seem far from outlandish to me -  consisting as they do, of three players inside the Top Ten, along with a fourth ranked at 17.

Erm - he predicted Murray to win the US Open a few hours before he pulled out even before it started. Of course we are talking with the benefit of hindsight but picking a winner who doesn't even make the start line is somewhat unfortunate!

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 on Sun 27 Aug 2017, 7:13 pm

Born Slippy wrote:

Erm - he predicted Murray to win the US Open a few hours before he pulled out even before it started. Of course we are talking with the benefit of hindsight but picking a winner who doesn't even make the start line is somewhat unfortunate!

I'm think your 'somewhat unfortunate' hypothesis is a better choice of words than your 'worst prediction ever'  comment, BS.

People make all sorts of predictions, and betting companies set odds, based on what they know of the field (as confirmed by the tourney organisers) when they make /set them. Murray was part of the field when bookmakers were setting odds, and most had put him as third favourite, behind Rafa and Fed.  They too had seen the seedings list - which of course included Murray at the time.

It's easy to ridicule any prediction - by labelling it the 'worst ever' - once circumstances have materially changed.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum