The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Toby Flood - German

+4
yappysnap
Geordie
kingelderfield
Rugby Fan
8 posters

Go down

Toby Flood - German Empty Toby Flood - German

Post by Rugby Fan Mon 21 Aug 2017, 4:38 pm

http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/story/_/id/20404773/germany-coach-kobus-potgieter-welcome-toby-flood-open-arms

The German Rugby Federation (DRV) will explore the possibility of having former England fly-half Toby Flood play for their national side ahead of the 2019 Rugby World Cup.

Seems like a long shot. Also sounds like Brexit caused Flood to apply for his German passport, to secure his status. That may have started the conversation about eligibility

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Toby Flood - German Empty Re: Toby Flood - German

Post by kingelderfield Mon 21 Aug 2017, 7:20 pm

Kohl's to Newcastle - why-awe man!

kingelderfield

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 21 Aug 2017, 9:16 pm

Loads of huff and puff about this on the falcons unofficial.

And even if it did happen then fair on him... Good to give German rugby a push. They could be a powerful team with more players and interest.

And by then we have young players that will be bossing games anyway.

I wonder who was the last big name player to play for a smaller European side? Frano Botica played for Croatia didn't he?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 22 Aug 2017, 9:04 am

Gorgodze?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Tue 22 Aug 2017, 9:22 am

If hes willing to do it good on him, and it can't be a bad thing for Germany to have a player of his calibre involved. If nothing else it will expose their players to professional standards. 

That said its pretty unlikely he will.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Tue 22 Aug 2017, 9:32 am

Obviously this is unlikely to happen. Suppose the only way it would really work if you could only switch to a team not in World Rugby's high performance bracket.

It would only be of benefit for tier 3 nations to be able to bring on players with bags of experience and expose their own players to a higher standard of rugby. Off the top of my head Tim Visser and Sam Hidalgo-Clyne are examples of players eligible who may wish to play for the Netherlands and Spain respectively in a few years once they have started to drop down the pecking order.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Tue 22 Aug 2017, 9:37 am

Eejit wrote:Obviously this is unlikely to happen. Suppose the only way it would really work if you could only switch to a team not in World Rugby's high performance bracket.  

It would only be of benefit for tier 3 nations to be able to bring on players with bags of experience and expose their own players to a higher standard of rugby. Off the top of my head Tim Visser and Sam Hidalgo-Clyne are examples of players eligible who may wish to play for the Netherlands and Spain respectively in a few years once they have started to drop down the pecking order.

Or Ben Morgan for Wales Whistle

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 22 Aug 2017, 9:49 am

He'd need to actually qualify.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 22 Aug 2017, 11:43 am

If someone like Flood can play for someone lower down the rankings like Germany, then someone like Savea could play for someone lower down the rankings like Wales?! Is that what we're saying? Cool Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Tue 22 Aug 2017, 2:10 pm

I always had my suspicions about Flood's loyalty but I never expected him to be seditious.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down