US Open Day 3 and Day 4

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

US Open Day 3 and Day 4

Post by MrInvisible on Wed 30 Aug 2017, 2:29 pm

Weather permitting there's a feast of tennis on today as the organisers try to catch up after yesterday's near washout. Will the organisers do their usual trick of starting 2nd round before 1st round matches have been completed?

MrInvisible

Back to top Go down

Re: US Open Day 3 and Day 4

Post by Guest82 on Wed 30 Aug 2017, 3:10 pm

Schedule is out isn't it? Don't think any R2 matches are scheduled to start before R1 has finished.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 on Wed 30 Aug 2017, 6:09 pm

An irritated-looking Kyrgios drops opening set to Millman, fellow Aussie.

I'd expect Kyrgios to turn this around. But if not, the tourney will lose another name player.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy on Wed 30 Aug 2017, 8:21 pm

So Kyrgios is gone. Other relatively big names already out today are Fognini, Gasquet and Karlovic. Feels we are going to have a lot of players in uncharted waters by the time we get to R3/R4.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by prostaff85 on Wed 30 Aug 2017, 8:22 pm

And Kyrgios is out... Proves once more that not too much fuss should be made about a tough draw. If Federer is fit and playing at 80-90% of his level throughout this season, he should make (at least) the semis now. A Kyrgios firing on all cylinders in a night-match on Ashe would have been dangerous, but I can't see any other player in that quarter of the draw posing a similar threat.
prostaff85

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry on Wed 30 Aug 2017, 8:48 pm

Born Slippy wrote:So Kyrgios is gone. Other relatively big names already out today are Fognini, Gasquet and Karlovic. Feels we are going to have a lot of players in uncharted waters by the time we get to R3/R4.
Yes, and it's not as if everyone has turned up in the first place, with five of the top 11 missing ! From a GB point of view, Bedene is two sets down against Rublev. Ninth seed Goffin is almost home and dry in four in his match. Delpo has just won in straight sets.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by MrInvisible on Wed 30 Aug 2017, 9:44 pm

Berdych, Dimitrov and Thiem also safely through in fairly routine wins. Does anyone think Shapovalov has a chance of beating Tsonga? My instinct tells me that Tsonga will just about survive this in 5 sets (Shapovalov may be tired after coming through qualifying), but wouldn't be surprised if the young Canadian springs an upset.

MrInvisible

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 on Wed 30 Aug 2017, 10:28 pm

prostaff85 wrote:And Kyrgios is out... Proves once more that not too much fuss should be made about a tough draw. If Federer is fit and playing at 80-90% of his level throughout this season, he should make (at least) the semis now. A Kyrgios firing on all cylinders in a night-match on Ashe would have been dangerous, but I can't see any other player in that quarter of the draw posing a similar threat.

Hmm..... I'm not so sure myself ....... chin

With Thiem and Delpo still in the same quarter, it only needs a similar excess of U/E's from Federer as we saw in his opening 5-setter (v Tiafoe), and either of them could take him out on a good day.

In terms of his title prospects, Fed certainly is right up there as a contender  - the other main ones for me being Rafa, Zverev, and Cilic. But this USO already has a very different feel compared to Wimbledon where Federer's progress to the Final was impressively serene, with not a set dropped IIRC.

Shapovalov v Tsonga could be very interesting. You'd think JWT will have enough, but it hasn't exactly been a stellar season for him.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 12:22 am

The paucity of postings here leaves one feeling increasingly disinterested in the Forum - all the more so considering we've just begun a Slam.

Not sure how much longer I'll stick around (not that I'm imagining for one moment that I would be remotely missed Laugh)

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 12:24 am

Tremendous match between Pouille and Donaldson. Donaldson looked to have the edge when he fought back from 2 sets down but from 3-4 in the final set Pouille produced some sensational hitting. Very good win for him against a dangerous youngster.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 12:31 am

Interesting to see both Isner and Querrey win easily. They are in the same weak section of the draw. One of them should make the QF and face Zverev (based on seeding). An American in the final perhaps?

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 12:34 am

Coric levels against Zverev at one set all. Only watched the last game butlooks like hard work for Zverev.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 12:43 am

And then just like London buses ........ Wink

Coric proving quite a test for Zverev. This could be some battle.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 12:48 am

Yes, get the impression Zverev could find himself in a real dogfight if he's not careful.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 2:49 am

Zverev beaten in four sets. Coric played some gutsy baseline tennis. clap clap

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 2:50 am

Mixed fortunes for the seeds today.  Zverev advances but Zverev is out.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 3:01 am

I have to say I find Shapovalov by some distance the most watchable player of the young generation.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 4:54 am

Awesome display from Shap to beat Tsonga in straights. Looks a very special player. Should have too much for Edmund next.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 4:56 am

Shapovalov in three easy sets.  Lovely.  He was by far the better player.  The most exciting player to watch in a loooong time.  Perhaps since Fed?

Can he somehow sneak into the final?  I would love to see Fed vs Shapovalov in the final.  And next year, Shapovalov could perhaps win his first slam.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 6:16 am

lags72 wrote:The paucity of postings here leaves one feeling increasingly disinterested in the Forum - all the more so considering we've just begun a Slam.

Not sure how much longer I'll stick around (not that I'm imagining for one moment that I would be remotely missed Laugh)

I am around viewing from a distance. Not posting in general due to me biting my lip about certain posts so feel it is better not posting at this time. Stick with it though lags.

My thoughts on tournament - sheer decimation. But people should be pleased - different faces in slam semis/ finals seems to be what a lot of posters have been crying out for aside from Fed and Rafa and you will certainly get that here.
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 9:12 am

Edmund up against Shap again and it will be tough. Shap, as has been said above, is an exciting, good-to-watch prospect, although it might be too early to say how far he's going to go.
   Lots of seeds already out and the door is open for someone to barge through. Cilic, for one, could go all the way.
   Interesting that any of six players could go to women's number one, including Halep who is already out! My money is on Muguruza.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 10:34 am

Watching the Shapovalov match now and have to say I think he looks the real deal. If Cilic isn't 100% then he could easily make the final if he plays like this! Think Cilic looks favourite from that half.

Worrying thing is that Isner or Querrey are also looking like potentially semi-finalists or even finalists. Really hope it's either Cilic or Shap.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 11:34 am

I agree that Shapovalov is looking very, very good. Seems pretty clear that the only way is up, and he will be a major feature as the current old guard gradually gives way to the new, along with notable other talents including Zverev, Coric and Thiem.

This changing of the guard may or may not happen as soon as this USO, but after a long wait I'm fairly sure that we are (finally !) on the brink of a new order in men's tennis. Perhaps the 'transition' will take another couple of years or so to complete, but the fresh crop of flowers are definitely starting to bloom.

I don't like to see depleted Slam fields any more than I would like to see a World Cup without top football nations such as Brazil, Germany, Spain, Argentina etc. But rather than bemoan the unfortunate no-shows, I've thoroughly enjoyed some very high quality matches /upsets in these early rounds, so much so that the weakened field - though far from ideal - is becoming less & less of a negative. You can only compete against what's in front of you.

I guess Rafa and Fed both have to be considered title favourites (depending on Fed's back) - not just because of their respective strong performances during the first half of 2017, but also their vast experience on the big stages. But I also feel that the gap between their own prospects and the second tier behind them is not very big. Certainly, no one player is a 'shoe-in' for this tourney in the way that Rafa was for RG, and Federer @ Wimbledon.

Also great to see Edmund making progress and growing in confidence OK

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 1:02 pm

I am in two minds about Fed's five-set win: (a) the opponent is a v. talented guy, and at only 2.5hrs long it might have been just the trigger he needed to understand he can trust his back and to shake off the rust without sucking too much out of him; on the other hand, (b) it's a poor showing by the standards of the current holder of two slams and a supposed contender for the title and demonstrates that all is not what it could be compared against his form in other tournaments this year, the drop of form in the 4th set does not really fit the positive narrative, and Fed himself has said that his preparation was not what it might have been.

If Fed has any sort of form and his back is on the mend, Kyrgios's defeat means the draw has relented a bit for him and he has the prospect of facing a series of players who are relatively old and have never beaten him in R2-R4.  That might be just as well, because if he does make the QF he'll need to be ready for the likely much stiffer challenge of Thiem or del Boy before a possibly momentuous SF, whether vs. Nadal or Dimitrov on an upturn playing with a bit of self-belief.

One other point - if Federer does meet Nadal in the SF, the latter has made clear that he does not like the noise of playing under the roof, it discombobulates him because he said he cannot hear the noise his racquet makes against the ball.  Perhaps, like some say is the case with Wimbledon, Federer would be better off under a closed roof......?  Only time will tell on that one - and I'm not holding my breath this year.
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 1:08 pm

A weakened field is probably less exciting if it just means one of Rafa or Roger can waltz to the title with a straight sets win against someone arriving tired and nervous or injured to the final.

If Rafa and Roger were to both lose early then things would actually be so open it would be really exciting.

Barrystar, I think if Roger is fully fit then he will be able to play better throughout the tournament and forget this early performance. However, if it's the back again, that is more of a concern.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by MrInvisible on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 2:50 pm

Well I was expecting Shavapolov to prove a handful for Tsonga but not to beat him in straight sets - v impressive result. At some stage the young Canadian may run out of steam having come through qualifying (am I the only one uneasy with prospect of Sharapova getting wildcard in the womens whilst genuine up and coming young talent Shavapalov misses out on one in the mens' contest?), but I'd expect him to beat Edmund at least - possibly in 4 sets.

Onto Day 4, Federer and Nadal have what look to be fairly routine wins ahead of them and I'm expecting Dimitrov and Thiem to progress (the latter to drop a set perhaps). Elsewhere Donald Young vs Monfils looks an interesting match-up. Young has had some pretty decent results in last year or so and could spring an upset against the enigmatic crowd-pleasing Frenchman. Young is never going to scale the heights and win a slam but I do like his controlled all-court style of play. On the womens' side it looks a fairly uneventful day, but given the way this tournament has panned out so far, there may be a couple more seeds to fall.

MrInvisible

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 5:44 pm

Svitolina and RG champ Ostapenko both win in straights. Svit is one of a whole host of women who could go number one.
   Dolgo has levelled match 1-1 against Berdych.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 6:51 pm

Berdych crashes out just as Dimitrov is broken back having been a break ahead in the first set - is Nadal's section self-cleansing?
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 6:51 pm

Dolgo takes out Berdych in four. 6-2 in the fourth set. Another one bites the dust! World number one Pliskova loses first set 6-2 to Gibbs. Another shock?

Later - Dimi, after leading, has lost the first set 7-5 to Rublev.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 7:14 pm

sirfredperry wrote:Dolgo takes out Berdych in four. 6-2 in the fourth set. Another one bites the dust! World number one Pliskova loses first set 6-2 to Gibbs. Another shock?

Later - Dimi, after leading, has lost the first set 7-5 to Rublev.

Well done Dolgo clap

Dimitrov looked very comfortable right up to 5-3 when he served for the first set - but it then went horribly wrong and Rublev sure made him pay the price.

If I had been asked who was the curent WTA Number One before I saw your post, I would have got it very wrong. In a way I feel embarrassed to admit as much ; but in another way .... I'm not (I suppose, in all honesty, it's not something that particularly occupies me !)

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 7:58 pm

Dimitrov now two sets down. Long way back now.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 8:09 pm

The youth are on the march ......

It's taken a while - but looks to be finally happening.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 8:19 pm

The story here though is just how awful Dimitrov is playing. He can barely hit the court. Rublev has been good but I get the impression he'd be relatively easy prey for a genuine slam contender.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 8:33 pm

That's true.

But on those days when a top ten guy is putting on a bit of a horror show versus against a much less experienced opponent, you still need the ability to take advantage. For many years, there seemed to be very, very few young guys (by which I mean teens or just 20/21) who had the necessary talent and the older guys were often given an easy ride. Thankfully, it's a gradually changing picture now.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 9:30 pm

Federer goes AWOL when serving for second set, having taken the first 6-1. He did the same against Tiafoe (though that was in the fifth).

The Wimbledon form is not on show so far, and his title credentials here in NY are looking questionable. In my humble view of course.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 9:38 pm

Youzhny ripping some backhands and suddenly finding a lot confidence.

Levels it up at one set all.

Yet another big exit ..... to go with all the others so far .....??

(Guess I'm talking to myself given the current state of the forum)

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by theslosty on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 9:42 pm

Lags, I'm all for cautious pessimism as much as the next person but have you ever been positive about Federer's chances ever? Wink
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 9:43 pm

Federer will still win this. The head-to head says it all. 16-0
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 9:48 pm

@theslosty - In times past yes !

But not on days like today (and in R1 here) when he fails to serve out, in the way that he would almost always do so comfortably, in his youthful pomp.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 9:50 pm

Someone needs to take Federer out. His play is pitiful. Youzhny, his buddy, can do it and make it 16-1.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 10:10 pm

Echoes of Gerulitis.....?
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 10:16 pm

Youznhy needs just one more set from two. Has looked like a man possessed for lengthy spells.

On today's showing - aided & abetted by Federer's mounting U/E count - no reason at all why he can't do it.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 10:20 pm

Still make Federer warm favourite.
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 10:24 pm

Hmm. We shall see.

Of all the ways he could go out, this would go down as the most unexpected of any.

A lookalike has somehow slipped onto court and replaced the Youznhy who was playing in set one.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 10:27 pm

Wilander is driving me insane...

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 10:28 pm

I tend to agree with Craig - Fed will come through. However, he's really struggling out there. I'm presuming it's injury related.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 10:41 pm

Born Slippy wrote:Wilander is driving me insane...

Indeed. He has rarely annoyed me more than in this match.

His career record is of course admirable, no question on that. BUT he is now being paid big money to impart serious tennis knowledge, expertise, & technical insight to viewers who may have some decent knowledge of their own, or perhaps even none at all. Wilander does nothing of the sort. He should be made to listen back to some of his pointless waffle.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 10:51 pm

Great tennis players don't necessarily make good commentators. He just spouts utter drivel most of the time.

Youhzny is struggling quite badly with his movement I think. Fifth set should be easy if Fed can get there.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 10:56 pm

Born Slippy wrote:

Youhzny is struggling quite badly with his movement I think. Fifth set should be easy if Fed can get there.

Federer has been so poor when needing to serve out, that nothing is guaranteed in this decider.

Maybe some physical issue is ailing him too, like Youzhny.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 11:01 pm

Fed isn't showing any obvious signs of injury but he's playing so poorly that there must be something wrong with him. I'm assuming the back is just sore.

Youzhny collapsing after going for a backhand smash. Cramp?

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum