Ospreys 17/18 Season

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ospreys 17/18 Season

Post by wayne on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 9:27 pm

This is not an exact replica of what is on our website, and unlike last season cannot give exact years left on contract, as some that have been reviewed length of contract have not been given. Games in 2018 are given in order, but as there are 3 dates, will not put any, until exact dates are given.
Head Coach Steve Tandy
Backs Coach Gruff Rees
Forwards Coach Allen Clarke
Defence Coach Brad Davis

Players: Cory Allen, Dmitri Arhip, Lloyd Ashley, Dan Baker, Jay Baker*, Scott Baldwin, Adam Beard, Ashley Beck, Dan Biggar, Olly Cracknell, Bradley Davies, Sam Davies, Hanno Dirksen, Dan Evans, Ma'afu Fia, Kieron Fonotia, Keelan Giles, Hugh Gustafson, Tom Habberfield, Jeff Hassler, James Hook, Dafydd Howells, Paul James, Ben John, AW Jones, Rhodri Jones, James King, Brendon Leonard, Dan Lydiate, Rob McCusker, Brian Mujati, Scott Otten, Sam Parry, Luke Price*, Nicky Smith, Gareth Thomas, Joe Thomas*, Rory Thornton, Justin Tipuric, Eli Walker, Owen Watkin, Rhys Webb.
The players with asterisks are not in the squad according to the website
11/8 Leicester Tigers           H                           L                     14-21                  Friendly  
20/8 Bath                          A                           L                     14-28                  Friendly
25/8 Leicester Tigers           A                           L                     14-40                  Friendly
2/9   Zebre                        H                                                                           GL
9/9  Glasgow Warriors          A                                                                           GL
16/9 Munster                     H                                                                           GL
22/9 Treviso                      A                                                                           GL
29/9 Cheetahs                   A                                                                           GL
7/10 Scarlets                     H                                                                           GL
15/10 Clermont Auv             H                                                                           RCC
21/10 Saracens                  A                                                                           RCC
27/10 Dragons                   H                                                                            GL
4/11 Edinburgh                   A                                                                            GL
10/11 Wasps                      H                                                                            AWC
17/18/19-11 Cardiff B          A                                                                            AWC
24/25/26-11 Glasgow W       H                                                                            GL
2/12 Munster                     A                                                                             GL
9/12 Northampton S            A                                                                            RCC
17/12 Northampton S          H                                                                            RCC
26/12 Scarlets                   A                                                                            GL
31/12 Dragons                   H                                                                             GL
       Cardiff B                   H                                                                             GL
       Saracens                  A                                                                             RCC
       Clermont Auv            H                                                                             RCC
       Gloucester                A                                                                             AWC
        Bath                      H                                                                              AWC
        Connacht                A                                                                              GL
        Southern Kings         H                                                                              GL
        Cheetahs                H                                                                              GL
        Zebre                     A                                                                              GL
        Leinster                  H                                                                              GL
        Connacht                H                                                                              GL
        Ulster                     A                                                                              GL
        Cardiff BL                A                                                                              GL
That squad has been so injury hit over the past 5 years or so, if we have the same sort of injury this next season, we will be back in RCC2 next season and nowhere near the playoffs, our 3 NWQ tight heads are at the moment not 100% fit even though 1 could make it for the first game. There is even talk of having Paul James filling in there.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Re: Ospreys 17/18 Season

Post by wayne on Fri 01 Sep 2017, 12:25 pm

Ospreys team selected for game against Zebre tomorrow afternoon 2.30 kick off is as follows
15 Dan Evans, 14 Keelan Giles, 13 Ben John, 12 Cory Allen, 11 Jeff Hassler, 10 James Hook, 9 Tom Habberfield, 8 Dan Baker, 7 Justin Tipuric, 6 Olly Cracknell, 5 Rory Thornton 4 BBBD, 3 Ma'afu Fia, 2 Sam Parry, 1 Paul James with Nicky Smith, Scott Otten, Rhodri Jones, Lloyd Ashley, James King, Reuben Morgan Williams, Sam Davies and Kieron Fonotia on the bench.
With the injuries already reported can't really argue with the backs starting or on the bench, there was a lot of talk last year on who was selecting the forwards, so the inclusion of Thornton over the much more aggressive Beard, adds weight to the theory that Tandy is overruling Clarke as he did with Gibbes and how Ashley is on the bench again ahead of Beard is mystifying.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne on Fri 08 Sep 2017, 1:56 pm

Just to keep it up to date, the team selected to face the Glasgow Warriors away at Scotstoun tomorrow 9/9/2017
Dan Evans, Keelan Giles, Kieron Fonotia, Cory Allen, Jeff Hassler, Sam Davies, Tom Habberfield, Paul James, Sam Parry, Ma'afu Fia, BBBD, Lloyd Ashley, Olly Cracknell, Justin Tipuric (C), James King with Scott Otten, Nicky Smith, Rhodri Jones, Adam Beard, Guy Mercer, RM Williams James Hook and Jay Baker on the bench.
Don't expect much if anything from this match, if there is no change in attitude it will be zilch.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB on Fri 08 Sep 2017, 3:42 pm

Wayne, i was waiting for a summary of last weeks game but it never came.. Was that a case of Zebre being better than expected (they beat Treviso 7-0 in a friendly..) or rather Ospreys playing poorly?

Also, how the scrum fared? as i rate that 1st choice Zebre front row pretty highly.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne on Fri 08 Sep 2017, 4:28 pm

VinceWLB wrote:Wayne, i was waiting for a summary of last weeks game but it never came.. Was that a case of Zebre being better than expected (they beat Treviso 7-0 in a friendly..) or rather Ospreys playing poorly?

Also, how the scrum fared? as i rate that 1st choice Zebre front row pretty highly.

Vince I was so irate with the performance along with many others, I couldn't write a report, the scrum in actual fact was pretty good, even Rhodri Jones was ok when he came on, we started pretty well and scored an excellent team try very early on, whether we thought that was the end of it, but Zebre came back and dominated the collisions and especially the breakdown, and to be fair the better team over the whole game lost, as I've mentioned a couple of times in different posts it all came down to attitude, if it doesn't change tomorrow we're in for a real hiding.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB on Fri 08 Sep 2017, 4:46 pm

wayne wrote:
Vince I was so irate with the performance along with many others, I couldn't write a report, the scrum in actual fact was pretty good, even Rhodri Jones was ok when he came on, we started pretty well and scored an excellent team try very early on, whether we thought that was the end of it, but Zebre came back and dominated the collisions and especially the breakdown, and to be fair the better team over the whole game lost, as I've mentioned a couple of times in different posts it all came down to attitude, if it doesn't change tomorrow we're in for a real hiding.

Interesting that the scrum held up well as i feel out of your 3 THs i think Ma'afu is your worst scrummager but still pretty good and Rhodri Jones is ok as a 4th choice i guess, although he must have faced Zebre's replacement props. It's easier with Bradley Davies behind you too, something you severely missed towards the end of last season.

Scotstoun is a plastic pitch so if the attitude isn't right it can get ugly although most of the recent Glasgow-O's games have been (boring) slugfest.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne on Thu 14 Sep 2017, 4:54 pm

There is a topic on our Team Forum, that over the next 8 games, the possibility that most people have indicated that we could end up with only winning 2. IMO the non failure to have our 4 Lions either starting or at the worst on the bench is mystifying. Tips has started all games so far and the talk is that Rhys Webb could make the bench, the other 2 Dan Biggar and AWJ not to be seen, there is even talk that Dan is part of the Sky commentary team.

There is some news that Dan Lydiate would be seen on the pitch at some point, whether Watkin and Baker make some sort of recovery and make the 23 is open to question. I really hope a proper 2nd row partnership would be started, ie Thornton or Beard partnering BBBD.

We really need at the minimum 1 or 2 BPs, an actual win would be fantastic if not a little fanciful.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan on Tue 19 Sep 2017, 5:31 pm

Copy n paste what I wrote on the forum about Sats game..

I think that was the first time I've been to a game where expectations were low. Even when we've faced big teams in Europe I've always thought we'd have a chance, especially as our home form was...was, quite decent. What summed our total lack of imagination, creativity and general confidence up was when Cory Allen did a grubber kick , yet another, to the wing and who was there...Scot Baldwin.
I don't know what this supposed half time bollocking came from as the Munster second string easily dealt with what dirge the Ospreys served up. As for Tandy to whine to WOL about the performance, you set the ****ing team up ffs!
Overhead behind the North as everyone scurried home in the downpour..' Those Bas***** will come up from west next month and run us ragged'. Can't wait.
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum