US Open Round 4 - Days 7 & 8

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

US Open Round 4 - Days 7 & 8

Post by Born Slippy on Sun 03 Sep 2017, 10:31 am

First topic message reminder :

So we reach the stage where the big names start to meet (although not so much in the bottom half of the men's draw). Some intriguing match ups throughout though.

Sunday

Querrey v M Zverev
Lorenzi v Anderson
Shapovalov v Carreno Busta
Pouille v Schwartzman

Suarez Navarro v Williams
Kvitova v Muguruza
Goerges v Stephens
Sevastova v Sharapova

Monday

Nadal v Dolgopolov
Goffin v Rublev
Federer v Kohlschreiber
Del Potro v Thiem

Pliskova v Brady
Vandeweghe v Safarova
Svitolina v Keys
Kasatkina v Kanepi

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Re: US Open Round 4 - Days 7 & 8

Post by Henman Bill on Tue 05 Sep 2017, 1:33 am

True enough on the prize money.

DP-Thiem match was a bit dull at the start but quite entertaining in the end. I don't think Federer should be too concerned with Del Potro's form however.

DP won due to more power at times and some Thiem errors really, he will need to play slightly better against Roger.

I expect Federer to win what will be their second US Open meeting (so a revenge needed) and first slam meeting for 5 years.

I probably should add something like if Federer beats Kohlschreiber, but at two sets up against a player he has beaten many times and never lost to it looks a formality.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan on Tue 05 Sep 2017, 2:12 am

Federer takes the second set 6-2 and the match at 7-5 third set.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill on Tue 05 Sep 2017, 2:12 am

Hi Laverfan, hope you are doing well.
Those early round wobbles look a while away now.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill on Tue 05 Sep 2017, 2:18 am

Del Potro on court: "I was sick the last two days and I came here to play as best as I can. I was trying to feel better after a few games."

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill on Tue 05 Sep 2017, 2:31 am

Have we reached that time of the night where I end up talking to myself here in the Americas? Thiem really has disappointed since the clay season ended. I thought he might kick on this year and do some damage on the hard courts, but there is still a big difference between his clay and hard results. His ranking says 8 but on clay he is top 5 and on other surfaces he is not even top 10.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 on Tue 05 Sep 2017, 2:40 am

Not quite HB - although this will be my last post before lights out Wink

Youznhy .... Lopez ...... Kohlschreiber. They've all had their chances to score a W over the years, but it's now a combined total of 0-42 v Federer. It seemed almost a dull contest (albeit very efficient) by comparison with the drama of Thiem v Delpo.

Fed will face a much stronger challenge, his first truly elite level opponent, in the shape of JMDP. I see it as a 50/50 match, but whoever comes through could well be a little battle-bruised by the time they get to a SF v Nadal - who remains clear title favourite for me.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues on Tue 05 Sep 2017, 3:13 am

lags I am not sure why you think Rafa is clear favorite.  Similar to HB, when I saw his earlier matches I thought he looked quite shaky (though not nearly as bad as Fed did in his first two rounds).

On the other hand, it is also fair to say that while I only saw very little from Rafa vs Dolgo, I thought Rafa did look significantly better there.

I would agree with you in that I would probably also see Rafa as #1 favorite for the title, but unlike you I would not say a clear favorite.  I would have Federer relatively close behind.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry on Tue 05 Sep 2017, 8:43 am

Terrific comeback by delpo but a big disappointment for Thiem. Can't see Fed wanting to go to the JMDP forehand too many times in the quarters. 
   Possible reason for Rafa being considered a clearer favourite than Rog is that the Spaniard has, on paper, an easier q-final. 
   On the women's side, there are four Americans in the last eight and none are playing each other.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 on Tue 05 Sep 2017, 9:25 am

Great match Thiem V Delpo.  Sad for Thiem that he really choked (again) at 5-3, 30-0 on serve in the fourth set.

Del Po was horrendous first two sets, thought he would retire.  Fourth set was very high quality stuff from both players, looked as though Thiem would win it, but once Delpo took the tie-break it was obvious that he would win the fifth.

Rafa clear favourite for me. Slow, high bouncing court + not having to play a top 50 player on route to the semi-final. Practical w/o in the final too. Only a sparkling Fed performance can stop him, sadly don't think Fed has that in him at the moment. Rafa is not even playing that well himself, but expect it to be enough.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 on Tue 05 Sep 2017, 11:55 am

summerblues wrote:lags I am not sure why you think Rafa is clear favorite.  Similar to HB, when I saw his earlier matches I thought he looked quite shaky (though not nearly as bad as Fed did in his first two rounds).

On the other hand, it is also fair to say that while I only saw very little from Rafa vs Dolgo, I thought Rafa did look significantly better there.

I would agree with you in that I would probably also see Rafa as #1 favorite for the title, but unlike you I would not say a clear favorite.  I would have Federer relatively close behind.

In answer to your (perfectly reasonable) question - I see him as clear favourite for several reasons :

- Rafa's best, in the tourney so far, looks more convincing and 'solid' than Fed's best.

- others may disagree, but I actually believe the current Rafa - notwithstanding that slow start v Mayer - seems to be almost as focussed as when in full RG mode

- Fed's form improved dramatically in the Lopez and Kohli matches BUT there have still been significant phases of careless U/E's which stronger players (such as Delpo and Nadal) would have exploited

- Fed will not find Delpo an easy prospect. Delpo can bring a lot of confidence after his incredible exploits in coming back to beat Thiem. The QF could go either way but even if Fed does come through he could very likely be fatigued for the SF

- question marks remain over Fed's total fitness

- in more general terms : Federer cannot continue to defy age for ever. The first part of the season was quite surreal BUT at some point normal service will inevitably be resumed. And by 'normal service' I mean that going forward we can continue to expect the occasional good run at Slams but that a combination of Father Time and younger players will do their damage - just as happens in all sports.

Such are my thoughts. FWIW.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan on Tue 05 Sep 2017, 1:15 pm

Henman Bill wrote:Hi Laverfan, hope you are doing well. Those early round wobbles look a while away now.

Thanks, HB. I am doing as well as I can. Some tough matches ahead for the old Man. Nadal also looked impressive vs. Dolgopolov. I am looking forward to upcoming battles.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill on Tue 05 Sep 2017, 7:59 pm

Federer's match I only caught the second half due to the Del Potro match - nice that Chilean TV stayed with the more enteraining match on the outdoor caught rather than a big name, although this would have beeb because it was a Latin American player, but still, I'll take what I can get.

But anyway, Federer looked confident to me. He looked like the back issue is not currently there, and at times seemed to be playing even within himself.

I think Federer favourite but after reading all your comments perhaps you've convinced me even favourite with Rafa.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill on Tue 05 Sep 2017, 8:01 pm

lags72 wrote:Not quite HB - although this will be my last post before lights out  Wink

Youznhy .... Lopez ...... Kohlschreiber. They've all had their chances to score a W over the years, but it's now a combined total of 0-42 v Federer. It seemed almost a dull contest (albeit very efficient) by comparison with the drama of Thiem v Delpo.

Fed will face a much stronger challenge, his first truly elite level opponent, in the shape of JMDP. I see it as a 50/50 match, but whoever comes through could well be a little battle-bruised by the time they get to a SF v Nadal - who remains clear title favourite for me.

Well, you actually stayed up later than me in the end. Just saw that post this morning.

I think Federer will be favourite against Del Potro and I don't know whether it will be a straights sets cruise, or 7-6 in the 5th, but either way I think Federer wins this.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum