Murray - "Most likely" to be out for the rest of 2017

Go down

Murray - "Most likely" to be out for the rest of 2017

Post by banbrotam on Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:30 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/41171849?isBumped=0&postFreq=0&isEmpty=0&isProfane=0&tooLong=0&charCount=0&isAwaitingProcessPreMod=0&isSubmitted=1&filter=none&initial_page_size=10&postId=128003644#comment_128003644

Possibly the most sensible decision he's ever made. Goodness knows why the stubborn mule, couldn't have done this about two months. Clearly, he had no chance of been fit

Based on the current ranking points (i.e. those collected in the last year) the 2017 'earnings' of Stan, Novak and Andy will result in rankings of 10, 13 and 19 respectively when they come back.

Which could make for another interesting Aus Open!!

Whatever. Let's get them all back. Anyone saying we haven't missed them, is either not a tennis fan or a rabid Roger / Rafa fan. Although, I have still enjoyed the tennis without them

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Re: Murray - "Most likely" to be out for the rest of 2017

Post by barrystar on Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:02 pm

"Stubborn mule" is a bit unfair I think.  We don't know, but there are indications that this is a long-term problem which cannot be resolved to accommodate top level tennis, but only kept in remission or staved off temporarily.  If that's right, then to me it is entirely understandable that whilst he was #1 and defending Wimbledon Champion and looking at a very open US Open draw hhe fought to make the best of a state of affairs that he is unlikely to replicate.  That said, I still think the very late timing of his withdrawal from the US Open merits more explanation, but to go further say that he should given up two months ago whilst he was still #1 and might never return to the summit is of a different order.
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam on Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:21 pm

No. He's a stubborn mule Very Happy. I say it, as a fan with equal measures of admiration as frustration, as it's that which has made him the player he is

But Andy's problem, is that he now has a history of making wrong decisions, in thinking his body is better than it is.

In 2015, he followed such a daft summer schedule, that elimination at the US earlier than wanted (and excellent Kevin Anderson, if you remember) was inevitable

Last year, Cincy should have been left off the schedule. The Olympics was more than enough, physically / emotionally

To me he concentrates too much on the here and now, rather than thinking about peak fitness for slams or career longevity

He hadn't a hope of been in the shape needed to win a slam and surely should have realised this, rather than the emotionally draining drama he gave us

You're right, that his eyes probably lit up when Novak, Stan and Nish all withdrew. Three rivals who've beaten him before at this even. But he needs or somebody needs to tell him, that he must schedule in the future more sensibly and not try to rush back

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan on Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:21 pm

Hewitt had quite a few hip issues, which eventually decimated his career.

Being a rabid FedAl fan (and a Murray and Ferrer fan, too Wink ), the landscape looks rather barren with Wawrinka, Murray, Djokovic being out with injuries. Nevertheless, FedAl have had their fair share of such injuries.

Perhaps Murray and Djokovic can play the 2018 AO final. Ok!

Last edited by laverfan on Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 on Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:19 pm

Do hope he can come back in good shape in 2018.

I may be wide of the mark, but from a couple of interviews earlier in the year (some time before Wimbledon, IIRC) I got the impression he is looking to play only another couple of seasons at most anyway, and might be attracted by a doubles career .... (?)

Long layoffs are very fashionable these days (and have been known to pay handsome dividends).

No problem paying the bills whilst he's unemployed, unlike some folk. Positive thinking Wink

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry on Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:06 pm

It may be no coincidence that the decision by four top players to have long lay offs has come after Rog, and to a degree Rafa, opted to take extended breaks.
   Whether the quartet can reciprocate the stella comebacks of Fed and Rafa remains to be seen. But certainly they are giving themselves every chance to return in better shape.
   The draw for the 2018 AO is going to be very interesting.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar on Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:31 pm

sirfredperry wrote:It may be no coincidence that the decision by four top players to have long lay offs has come after Rog, and to a degree Rafa, opted to take extended breaks.
   Whether the quartet can reciprocate the stella comebacks of Fed and Rafa remains to be seen. But certainly they are giving themselves every chance to return in better shape.

The injuries are sadly coincidental, but the decisions to follow the successful leads of Fedal are clearly not.
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 on Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:46 pm

barrystar wrote:
sirfredperry wrote:It may be no coincidence that the decision by four top players to have long lay offs has come after Rog, and to a degree Rafa, opted to take extended breaks.

The injuries are sadly coincidental, but the decisions to follow the successful leads of Fedal are clearly not.

Might be the case for the others. Can't comment on them. But I don't think it was for Murray or he wouldn't have spent the effort to try and get fit enough to play the USO. Seems like it is finally a recognition from him that there is no quick remedy and he needs to let it heal gradually.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum