Your Club's Team of the Decade

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Your Club's Team of the Decade

Post by George Carlin on Thu 07 Sep 2017, 11:46 am

First topic message reminder :

Glasgow are currently running a debate, sponsored by McCrea Financial Services, as to which are the 23 best players your club has had over the past 10 years.

Would be quite interested to see everyone do the same for their club.

Can we have some rules:
1. Please choose the players whom you enjoyed watching the most and who contributed most to your club, regardless of what they may have achieved elsewhere.
2. There isn't a great deal of point in picking players who were amazing across their career as a whole, but useless when playing for your franchise.
3. For example, Munster fans can choose Christian Cullen (arguably the greatest full back of all time across his whole career) if they like, but we all know he sucked old man balls whilst in Limerick.
4. Have honourable mentions if you like.
5. Longevity is important, but you shouldn't feel free to pick lifelong journeymen out of sheer nostalgia. Quality is important.

For Glasgow, I would say:

01 Tom Smith
02 Gordon Bulloch
03 Euan Murray  
04 Leone Nakarawa
05 Jonny Gray
06 Jason White
07 John Barclay
08 Josh Strauss

09 Nikola Matawalu
10 Finn Russell
11 Thom Evans
12 Alex Dunbar
13 Mark Bennett
14 Sean Maitland
15 Stuart Hogg

16 Ryan Grant
17 Fraser Brown
18 Michael Cusack
19 Richie Gray
20 Kelly Brown
21 Chris Cusiter
22 DTH van der Merwe
23 Glenn Metcalfe

Very tough that there's no place for the Ruck Inspector, Johnnie Beattie, Bernardo Stortoni, Simone Favaro, Kevin Tkachuk, Sean Lamont or Tommy Seymour.

That Glasgow side would give anyone a game. Over to you guys.
avatar
George Carlin
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 13905
Join date : 2011-06-23
Location : United Arab Emirates

Back to top Go down


Re: Your Club's Team of the Decade

Post by George Carlin on Tue 12 Sep 2017, 10:29 am

mikey_dragon wrote:Dragons;

Gavin Henson.

That's all.
Laugh
avatar
George Carlin
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 13905
Join date : 2011-06-23
Location : United Arab Emirates

Back to top Go down

Re: Your Club's Team of the Decade

Post by Griff on Tue 12 Sep 2017, 11:44 am

George Carlin wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:Dragons;

Gavin Henson.

That's all.
Laugh

I've been thinking of a Dragons one but haven't had time to do it properly. Will do so in a bit, but as a starter it's not too bad (relatively speaking) with the likes of:

Kevin Morgan
Gavin Henson
Aled Brew
Dan Lydiate
Colin Charvis
Michael Owen
Luke Charteris
Adam Black
Joe Bearman
Gareth Cooper
Taulupe Faletau
Ian Gough
Zane Kirchner (tbc if he's any good!)
Hoani MacDonald
Richard Parks
Andy Powell
Richie Rees
Rob Sidoli
Ashley Smith
Boris Stankovich
Ceri Sweeney
Netani Talei
Gavin Thomas
Rhys Thomas
Tom Willis
Gareth Wyatt

Not sure what sort of team you can pick from that. But certainly some positions will be pretty hard to fill!


Griff

Posts : 7342
Join date : 2011-06-03
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Your Club's Team of the Decade

Post by ScarletSpiderman on Tue 12 Sep 2017, 11:57 am

Gav, definitely not short of backrow options.
avatar
ScarletSpiderman

Posts : 9693
Join date : 2011-01-28
Age : 33
Location : Pembs

Back to top Go down

Re: Your Club's Team of the Decade

Post by mikey_dragon on Tue 12 Sep 2017, 12:32 pm

Gavin Thomas was great for us.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 6535
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Your Club's Team of the Decade

Post by LordDowlais on Tue 12 Sep 2017, 1:04 pm

What about the legend that is Jason Forster ? How can you leave him off your list ?

LordDowlais

Posts : 11517
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: Your Club's Team of the Decade

Post by Griff on Tue 12 Sep 2017, 1:30 pm

LordDowlais wrote:What about the legend that is Jason Forster ? How can you leave him off your list ?

My favourite player of all time. Left him off because he doesn't fit the criteria of the OP.

Griff

Posts : 7342
Join date : 2011-06-03
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Your Club's Team of the Decade

Post by Griff on Tue 12 Sep 2017, 1:36 pm

Speaking of the criteria, George Carlin I notice you have Tom Smith in the OP.  When did he play for you?!  And how many games?!!?!?!  Gordon Bulloch is a bit before the 10 years too!

Edit: Whoops! Just read back to the start of the thread and saw that RDW has already picked up on that. OK

Griff

Posts : 7342
Join date : 2011-06-03
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Your Club's Team of the Decade

Post by LordDowlais on Tue 12 Sep 2017, 1:42 pm

Griff wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:What about the legend that is Jason Forster ? How can you leave him off your list ?

My favourite player of all time.  Left him off because he doesn't fit the criteria of the OP.

He did not retire over a decade ago did he ?

Well, feck me, where has the time gone. Shocked

It only seems like a few years ago he was still playing, he was there after Charvis wasn't he ? Or was he ?

LordDowlais

Posts : 11517
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: Your Club's Team of the Decade

Post by RDW_Scotland on Tue 12 Sep 2017, 1:44 pm

Now the most of the teams are done, how about your club's worst team of the decade?? Similar rules apply - think about their time at your club as opposed to their career as a whole

Edinburgh have a particularly bad horror show of a decade, showing how many awful players we have signed.

1 - Dave Hewett (ex All- Black but crap for Edinbrugh
2 - Alex Lutui (he was 37 when he signed for us!)
3 - Jack Gilding (one of the worst props of the professional era)
4 - Esteban Lozada (one of the smallest locks in the professional era)
5 - Perry Parker (signed from the Championship, went straight back to the Championship)
6 - Tomás Leonardi
7 - Dimitri Basilaia (had a particularly bad horror show at Thomond Park)
8 - Nasi Manu (if he had stayed fit he would have been a good signing, but he hardly played and would have cost us a lot being a recent Super Rugby winning captain)

9 - Chris Leck (so unbelievably average)
10 - Jade Te Rure (nothing more needs said)
11 - Mike Penn (played 1 pre-season game and never made a match day squad. He is a prime example of a YouTube highlights video not reflecting reality!)
12 - Ben Atiga (another 'former All Black' who was just so average)
13 - Joaquín Domínguez (so unbelievably average)
14 - Brett Thompson (similar to Penn - he was never seen past pre-season)
15 - Carl Bezuidenhout (another of the incredibly average generation of foreign signings)

God I'm depressed after coming up with that team - most of them signed by Alan Solomons. furious

RDW_Scotland
Admin
Admin

Posts : 21913
Join date : 2011-06-01
Age : 30
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Your Club's Team of the Decade

Post by highland_scot on Tue 12 Sep 2017, 2:07 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Now the most of the teams are done, how about your club's worst team of the decade?? Similar rules apply - think about their time at your club as opposed to their career as a whole

Edinburgh have a particularly bad horror show of a decade, showing how many awful players we have signed.

1 - Dave Hewett (ex All- Black but crap for Edinbrugh
2 - Alex Lutui (he was 37 when he signed for us!)
3 - Jack Gilding (one of the worst props of the professional era)
4 - Esteban Lozada (one of the smallest locks in the professional era)
5 - Perry Parker (signed from the Championship, went straight back to the Championship)
6 - Tomás Leonardi
7 - Dimitri Basilaia (had a particularly bad horror show at Thomond Park)
8 - Nasi Manu (if he had stayed fit he would have been a good signing, but he hardly played and would have cost us a lot being a recent Super Rugby winning captain)

9 - Chris Leck (so unbelievably average)
10 - Jade Te Rure (nothing more needs said)
11 - Mike Penn (played 1 pre-season game and never made a match day squad. He is a prime example of a YouTube highlights video not reflecting reality!)
12 - Ben Atiga (another 'former All Black' who was just so average)
13 - Joaquín Domínguez (so unbelievably average)
14 - Brett Thompson (similar to Penn - he was never seen past pre-season)
15 - Carl Bezuidenhout (another of the incredibly average generation of foreign signings)

God I'm depressed after coming up with that team - most of them signed by Alan Solomons. furious

How could you do this without even including Andries Strauss?

Honourable mentions for Wiccus Blaauw, Izak van der Westhuizen, Sean Cox, Kyle Traynor, the litany of forgettable 10s that Solly signed on 3 month contracts, Sepp "well at least my brother is good" Visser, John Andress, James Hilterbrand? Duncan Weir... Depressed even more yet?

Unfortunately most of those were at the club at the same time!

highland_scot

Posts : 553
Join date : 2012-05-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Your Club's Team of the Decade

Post by RDW_Scotland on Tue 12 Sep 2017, 2:14 pm

highland_scot wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Now the most of the teams are done, how about your club's worst team of the decade?? Similar rules apply - think about their time at your club as opposed to their career as a whole

Edinburgh have a particularly bad horror show of a decade, showing how many awful players we have signed.

1 - Dave Hewett (ex All- Black but crap for Edinbrugh
2 - Alex Lutui (he was 37 when he signed for us!)
3 - Jack Gilding (one of the worst props of the professional era)
4 - Esteban Lozada (one of the smallest locks in the professional era)
5 - Perry Parker (signed from the Championship, went straight back to the Championship)
6 - Tomás Leonardi
7 - Dimitri Basilaia (had a particularly bad horror show at Thomond Park)
8 - Nasi Manu (if he had stayed fit he would have been a good signing, but he hardly played and would have cost us a lot being a recent Super Rugby winning captain)

9 - Chris Leck (so unbelievably average)
10 - Jade Te Rure (nothing more needs said)
11 - Mike Penn (played 1 pre-season game and never made a match day squad. He is a prime example of a YouTube highlights video not reflecting reality!)
12 - Ben Atiga (another 'former All Black' who was just so average)
13 - Joaquín Domínguez (so unbelievably average)
14 - Brett Thompson (similar to Penn - he was never seen past pre-season)
15 - Carl Bezuidenhout (another of the incredibly average generation of foreign signings)

God I'm depressed after coming up with that team - most of them signed by Alan Solomons. furious

How could you do this without even including Andries Strauss?

Honourable mentions for Wiccus Blaauw, Izak van der Westhuizen, Sean Cox, Kyle Traynor, the litany of forgettable 10s that Solly signed on 3 month contracts, Sepp "well at least my brother is good" Visser, John Andress, James Hilterbrand? Duncan Weir... Depressed even more yet?

Unfortunately most of those were at the club at the same time!

Strauss is certainly up there - he would be first reserve!

Think you're being harsh on Cox though - he was one of our better players in the pack at the time and was a standout player in our run to the HK semi.

There really is a common theme of Solomons signing terrible players - think how much money we wasted in that period.

RDW_Scotland
Admin
Admin

Posts : 21913
Join date : 2011-06-01
Age : 30
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Your Club's Team of the Decade

Post by Poorfour on Tue 12 Sep 2017, 5:00 pm

yappysnap wrote:For Harlequins, I've gone with players I've actually seen play rather then just off the back of stories.

15. Mike Brown
14. Tom Williams
13. George Lowe
12. Will Greenwood
11. Ugo Monye
10. Nick Evans
9. Andy Gomersall
8. Nick Easter
7. Will Skinner
6. Chris Robshaw
5. George Robson
4. Olly Kohn
3. Kyle Synkler
2. Tani Fuga
1. Jason Leonard

Honourable mentions to the likes of Guest, JTH, Care, Tiesi and Camacho who could all have been around there.

Leonard and Greenwood were definitely retired by 2007, as was Andre Vos. All of them would walk into the team if they hadn't.

Beyond that, the start point has to be the 2012 Aviva Premiership final team.
Marler Gray Johnston
Kohn Robson
Robshaw Easter Fa'asavalu
Care Evans
JTH Lowe
Monye Brown Williams

Of those, Tani would definitely come in for Gray. Tighthead is debatable. Adam Jones would be in with a shout - but his best performances for Quins have ironically been his two games at loosehead. So, Adam goes to the bench and Sinckler to tighthead.

Much as Quins fans love Olly Kohn, I think James Horwill is the better player and comes in at 4. Beyond that, there are lots of players with potential, but none who make a definite claim on the shirt.

A good season this season and Clifford or Chisholm could oust Big Mo from the back row, Jamie Roberts is capable of playing better than JTH but hasn't yet, Marchant could yet eclipse George Lowe (who sadly retired through injury this week at only 27) - but needs to show the kind of relentless consistency that Lowe did, and Marland Yarde has some way to go to match Tom Williams' all round game and rugby brain (just don't let him near the blood capsules).




Poorfour

Posts : 3630
Join date : 2011-10-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Your Club's Team of the Decade

Post by wayne on Tue 12 Sep 2017, 7:46 pm

Should have done this earlier, these are mine in actual Osprey performances
15 Leigh Byrne
14 Tommy Bowe
13 Andrew Bishop
12 Gavin Henson
11 Shane Williams
10 Dan Biggar
9 Justin Marshall
8 Filo Tiatia
7 Justin Tipuric
6 Ryan Jones
5 AWJ
4 Ian Gough
3 Adam Jones
2 Huw Bennett
1 Paul James
A few controversial selections there that a few people will disagree with, some would have Duncan Jones over Paul James, but personally I would have Paul as he has been a better scrummager, others would have Ianto over Goughie, not me for a start you would practically guarantee Goughie being available far more than Ianto through either disciplinary or injury issues, another that would divide opinion is Tipuric over Marty Hollah, but that is the way I would go, the same could be argued over Jerry Collins and Ryan Jones. Jerry IMO only had one good season, Ryan was excellent all his career with us. Some may raise eyebrows at the Andrew Bishop selection, but one of our Coaches in the distant past reckoned he was the glue that held us together, hits the nail on the head in my estimation. A bench of Duncan Jones, Barry Williams (I think just makes it into the 10 year rule) Dmitri Arhip, Ianto, Jerry Collins, Rhys Webb (before anybody says anything he was far superior to Mike Phillips in an Osprey jersey), James Hook and Nicky Walker (another who was far superior in an Osprey jersey than in his Scottish one) don't think Steffan Terblanche makes it on the criteria, he would be close as well.
Good squad IMO

wayne

Posts : 3139
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Your Club's Team of the Decade

Post by LeinsterFan4life on Tue 12 Sep 2017, 8:46 pm

wayne wrote:Should have done this earlier, these are mine in actual Osprey performances
15 Leigh Byrne
14 Tommy Bowe
13 Andrew Bishop
12 Gavin Henson
11 Shane Williams
10 Dan Biggar
9 Justin Marshall
8 Filo Tiatia
7 Justin Tipuric
6 Ryan Jones
5 AWJ
4 Ian Gough
3 Adam Jones
2 Huw Bennett
1 Paul James
A few controversial selections there that a few people will disagree with, some would have Duncan Jones over Paul James, but personally I would have Paul as he has been a better scrummager, others would have Ianto over Goughie, not me for a start you would practically guarantee Goughie being available far more than Ianto through either disciplinary or injury issues, another that would divide opinion is Tipuric over Marty Hollah, but that is the way I would go, the same could be argued over Jerry Collins and Ryan Jones. Jerry IMO only had one good season, Ryan was excellent all his career with us. Some may raise eyebrows at the Andrew Bishop selection, but one of our Coaches in the distant past reckoned he was the glue that held us together, hits the nail on the head in my estimation. A bench of Duncan Jones, Barry Williams (I think just makes it into the 10 year rule) Dmitri Arhip, Ianto, Jerry Collins, Rhys Webb (before anybody says anything he was far superior to Mike Phillips in an Osprey jersey), James Hook and Nicky Walker (another who was far superior in an Osprey jersey than in his Scottish one) don't think Steffan Terblanche makes it on the criteria, he would be close as well.
Good squad IMO  
Looking at all these great players, you'd wonder how the Ospreys haven't made an impact in Europe, its a real shame. I guess you'll always have them final wins in the RDS though Sad

LeinsterFan4life

Posts : 4957
Join date : 2012-03-13
Age : 27
Location : Meath

Back to top Go down

Re: Your Club's Team of the Decade

Post by Griff on Tue 12 Sep 2017, 9:28 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:
wayne wrote:Should have done this earlier, these are mine in actual Osprey performances
15 Leigh Byrne
14 Tommy Bowe
13 Andrew Bishop
12 Gavin Henson
11 Shane Williams
10 Dan Biggar
9 Justin Marshall
8 Filo Tiatia
7 Justin Tipuric
6 Ryan Jones
5 AWJ
4 Ian Gough
3 Adam Jones
2 Huw Bennett
1 Paul James
A few controversial selections there that a few people will disagree with, some would have Duncan Jones over Paul James, but personally I would have Paul as he has been a better scrummager, others would have Ianto over Goughie, not me for a start you would practically guarantee Goughie being available far more than Ianto through either disciplinary or injury issues, another that would divide opinion is Tipuric over Marty Hollah, but that is the way I would go, the same could be argued over Jerry Collins and Ryan Jones. Jerry IMO only had one good season, Ryan was excellent all his career with us. Some may raise eyebrows at the Andrew Bishop selection, but one of our Coaches in the distant past reckoned he was the glue that held us together, hits the nail on the head in my estimation. A bench of Duncan Jones, Barry Williams (I think just makes it into the 10 year rule) Dmitri Arhip, Ianto, Jerry Collins, Rhys Webb (before anybody says anything he was far superior to Mike Phillips in an Osprey jersey), James Hook and Nicky Walker (another who was far superior in an Osprey jersey than in his Scottish one) don't think Steffan Terblanche makes it on the criteria, he would be close as well.
Good squad IMO  
Looking at all these great players, you'd wonder how the Ospreys haven't made an impact in Europe, its a real shame. I guess you'll always have them final wins in the RDS though Sad

I get what the Welsh clubs (and WRU with their influence on the regions) have tried to do over the years by promoting from within and using home grown coaches, but when you see the influence of foreign coaches on other sides in the league then you can't help but wonder whether a good top notch foreign coach might have brought the Ospreys, Scarlets, et al. a bit more success with the players they had at their disposal. Just look how well Wayne Pivac is getting the Scarlets to play in quite a short period of time. Over the years the Welsh regions have had some really bog standard coaches from within Wales with little relative success on their CVs. Time to look abroad and follow the example shown by the likes of Glasgow, Munster, Leinster and others in recent years. It's seems to have worked well for them.

Griff

Posts : 7342
Join date : 2011-06-03
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Your Club's Team of the Decade

Post by LeinsterFan4life on Tue 12 Sep 2017, 9:33 pm

Griff wrote:
LeinsterFan4life wrote:
wayne wrote:Should have done this earlier, these are mine in actual Osprey performances
15 Leigh Byrne
14 Tommy Bowe
13 Andrew Bishop
12 Gavin Henson
11 Shane Williams
10 Dan Biggar
9 Justin Marshall
8 Filo Tiatia
7 Justin Tipuric
6 Ryan Jones
5 AWJ
4 Ian Gough
3 Adam Jones
2 Huw Bennett
1 Paul James
A few controversial selections there that a few people will disagree with, some would have Duncan Jones over Paul James, but personally I would have Paul as he has been a better scrummager, others would have Ianto over Goughie, not me for a start you would practically guarantee Goughie being available far more than Ianto through either disciplinary or injury issues, another that would divide opinion is Tipuric over Marty Hollah, but that is the way I would go, the same could be argued over Jerry Collins and Ryan Jones. Jerry IMO only had one good season, Ryan was excellent all his career with us. Some may raise eyebrows at the Andrew Bishop selection, but one of our Coaches in the distant past reckoned he was the glue that held us together, hits the nail on the head in my estimation. A bench of Duncan Jones, Barry Williams (I think just makes it into the 10 year rule) Dmitri Arhip, Ianto, Jerry Collins, Rhys Webb (before anybody says anything he was far superior to Mike Phillips in an Osprey jersey), James Hook and Nicky Walker (another who was far superior in an Osprey jersey than in his Scottish one) don't think Steffan Terblanche makes it on the criteria, he would be close as well.
Good squad IMO  
Looking at all these great players, you'd wonder how the Ospreys haven't made an impact in Europe, its a real shame. I guess you'll always have them final wins in the RDS though Sad

I get what the Welsh clubs (and WRU with their influence on the regions) have tried to do over the years by promoting from within and using home grown coaches, but when you see the influence of foreign coaches on other sides in the league then you can't help but wonder whether a good top notch foreign coach might have brought the Ospreys, Scarlets, et al. a bit more success with the players they had at their disposal. Just look how well Wayne Pivac is getting the Scarlets to play in quite a short period of time. Over the years the Welsh regions have had some really bog standard coaches from within Wales with little relative success on their CVs. Time to look abroad and follow the example shown by the likes of Glasgow, Munster, Leinster and others in recent years. It's seems to have worked well for them.
In an ideal world you would have home grown coaches but I've certainly nothing against foreign coaches coming in. It's great to have a coach with a different view on the way the game should be played and SH coaches do seem to be able to adapt well over here. You also get the added benefit of having their super rugby contacts which can lead to your team signing great players to supplement the home grown one's.

LeinsterFan4life

Posts : 4957
Join date : 2012-03-13
Age : 27
Location : Meath

Back to top Go down

Re: Your Club's Team of the Decade

Post by Griff on Tue 12 Sep 2017, 9:47 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:
Griff wrote:
LeinsterFan4life wrote:
wayne wrote:Should have done this earlier, these are mine in actual Osprey performances
15 Leigh Byrne
14 Tommy Bowe
13 Andrew Bishop
12 Gavin Henson
11 Shane Williams
10 Dan Biggar
9 Justin Marshall
8 Filo Tiatia
7 Justin Tipuric
6 Ryan Jones
5 AWJ
4 Ian Gough
3 Adam Jones
2 Huw Bennett
1 Paul James
A few controversial selections there that a few people will disagree with, some would have Duncan Jones over Paul James, but personally I would have Paul as he has been a better scrummager, others would have Ianto over Goughie, not me for a start you would practically guarantee Goughie being available far more than Ianto through either disciplinary or injury issues, another that would divide opinion is Tipuric over Marty Hollah, but that is the way I would go, the same could be argued over Jerry Collins and Ryan Jones. Jerry IMO only had one good season, Ryan was excellent all his career with us. Some may raise eyebrows at the Andrew Bishop selection, but one of our Coaches in the distant past reckoned he was the glue that held us together, hits the nail on the head in my estimation. A bench of Duncan Jones, Barry Williams (I think just makes it into the 10 year rule) Dmitri Arhip, Ianto, Jerry Collins, Rhys Webb (before anybody says anything he was far superior to Mike Phillips in an Osprey jersey), James Hook and Nicky Walker (another who was far superior in an Osprey jersey than in his Scottish one) don't think Steffan Terblanche makes it on the criteria, he would be close as well.
Good squad IMO  
Looking at all these great players, you'd wonder how the Ospreys haven't made an impact in Europe, its a real shame. I guess you'll always have them final wins in the RDS though Sad

I get what the Welsh clubs (and WRU with their influence on the regions) have tried to do over the years by promoting from within and using home grown coaches, but when you see the influence of foreign coaches on other sides in the league then you can't help but wonder whether a good top notch foreign coach might have brought the Ospreys, Scarlets, et al. a bit more success with the players they had at their disposal. Just look how well Wayne Pivac is getting the Scarlets to play in quite a short period of time. Over the years the Welsh regions have had some really bog standard coaches from within Wales with little relative success on their CVs. Time to look abroad and follow the example shown by the likes of Glasgow, Munster, Leinster and others in recent years. It's seems to have worked well for them.
In an ideal world you would have home grown coaches but I've certainly nothing against foreign coaches coming in. It's great to have a coach with a different view on the way the game should be played and SH coaches do seem to be able to adapt well over here. You also get the added benefit of having their super rugby contacts which can lead to your team signing great players to supplement the home grown one's.

I agree. No problem with Welsh coaches if they're successful (Dai Young for example has had some success at Wasps, but can't see why he'd want to come home!) but promoting Welsh coaches to head coaches in Wales when they've got little or no pedigree or success on their CVs is an experiment that hasn't worked. Limiting the choice by only looking at home is just daft, IMO.

Griff

Posts : 7342
Join date : 2011-06-03
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Your Club's Team of the Decade

Post by VinceWLB on Tue 12 Sep 2017, 10:01 pm

highland_scot wrote:
How could you do this without even including Andries Strauss?

Honourable mentions for Wiccus Blaauw, Izak van der Westhuizen, Sean Cox, Kyle Traynor, the litany of forgettable 10s that Solly signed on 3 month contracts, Sepp "well at least my brother is good" Visser, John Andress, James Hilterbrand? Duncan Weir... Depressed even more yet?

Unfortunately most of those were at the club at the same time!

Izak van der Westhuizen and Sean Cox were actually decent players..

Wicus Blaauw was probably the worst signings by AS which says a lot! How can you guys forgot Captain Coman is beyond me..!

VinceWLB

Posts : 3593
Join date : 2012-10-14

Back to top Go down

Re: Your Club's Team of the Decade

Post by SirBurger on Wed 13 Sep 2017, 2:45 am

Coman has been immense for London Irish.

SirBurger

Posts : 1112
Join date : 2011-11-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Your Club's Team of the Decade

Post by RDW_Scotland on Wed 13 Sep 2017, 7:03 am

Yeah Coman was a solid player for Edinburgh and gave his all on the pitch. His problem was that he was captain of the Solomons era which was an utterly depressing era for the club!

RDW_Scotland
Admin
Admin

Posts : 21913
Join date : 2011-06-01
Age : 30
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Your Club's Team of the Decade

Post by tigertattie on Wed 13 Sep 2017, 9:48 am

Leck, Te Rure, Atiga, Stauss

Now thats a midfield to instill fear into the hearts of any opposition!
avatar
tigertattie

Posts : 4511
Join date : 2011-07-11
Location : On the naughty step

Back to top Go down

Re: Your Club's Team of the Decade

Post by thebandwagonsociety on Wed 13 Sep 2017, 11:20 am

Pot Hale wrote:Leinster

15 Rob Kearney
14 Shane Horgan
13 Brian O'Driscoll
12 Gordon Darcy
11 Isa Nacewa
10 Johnny Sexton
9 Chris Whitaker
8 Jamie Heaslip
7 Sean O'Brien
6 Rocky Elsom
5 Brad Thorn
4 Leo Cullen
3 Stan Wright
2 Sean Cronin
1 Cian Healy

Honourable mentions/subs for Contemponi, Hines, Jennings, Fitzgerald, Hickie, McGrath, Furlong, Strauss, Toner, Boss.

I'd be very similar;

15 Rob Kearney
14 Shane Horgan
13 Brian O'Driscoll
12 Gordon Darcy
11 Isa Nacewa - biggest complement to the guy is that he gets in ahead of Hickie
10 Johnny Sexton - Contepomi as class, but he would be B.S. (before sexton). Everything changed in that 09 semi final against Munster in Croke Park
9 Eoin Reddan - for longevity and quality of game during the decade, Whitaker close second (Boss off the list, would even have Luke ahead of him)
8 Jamie Heaslip
7 Sean O'Brien - honourable mention to Shane Jennings though (always thought he was real pack leader more so than Cullen for many seasons)
6 Rocky Elsom - a short period but what an influence
5 Devin Toner - for our peak seasons Toner was such a fulcrum for our attacking platform and Hines enforcer presence was better than Cullens (tough on Cullen I know)
4 Nathan Hines - see above
3 Mike Ross - Don't think it's up for debate, before this guy scrums were a lottery, his second half display in the HC final against the Saints could get him in the side on it's own.
2 Sean Cronin - While Strauss was arguably the better hooker for most of the decade, the peaks of Cronin is too much to ignore.
1 Cian Healy - rerun this exercise in three years time and McGrath takes this place.

Five of the above don't even get comments, probably because the choices are so automatic.

thebandwagonsociety

Posts : 2265
Join date : 2011-06-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Your Club's Team of the Decade

Post by highland_scot on Wed 13 Sep 2017, 11:31 am

Ok, I'll take the point on Cox. He was hard as nails, just abit small for 2nd row and not really dynamic enough at 6.

VdW was pretty meh. He was brought in with a lot of promise of being the big Saffer enforces but just didn't live up to it. Bresler is the player that VdW should have been.

Agreed that Coman, whilst decidedly average in ability, was a solid pro with a bit of the Kellock factor about him. Never took a backwards step, good leader, average rugby player but hard to drop.

Also, we haven't even mentioned that much heralded England player Piers Francis!

highland_scot

Posts : 553
Join date : 2012-05-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Your Club's Team of the Decade

Post by RDW_Scotland on Wed 13 Sep 2017, 11:43 am

Again Piers Francis wasn't necessarily bad, he was just pretty average at a time where we were screaming out for a good 10 (nothing changes!).

Given the career he has gone onto have he obviously had the ability, it just wasn't realised playing for Edinburgh...

RDW_Scotland
Admin
Admin

Posts : 21913
Join date : 2011-06-01
Age : 30
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Your Club's Team of the Decade

Post by George Carlin on Wed 13 Sep 2017, 1:43 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Again Piers Francis wasn't necessarily bad, he was just pretty average at a time where we were screaming out for a good 10 (nothing changes!).

Given the career he has gone onto have he obviously had the ability, it just wasn't realised playing for Edinburgh...
I just couldn't get past the silly name.

And compared to Iwan Tukalo, it's not even that silly.
avatar
George Carlin
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 13905
Join date : 2011-06-23
Location : United Arab Emirates

Back to top Go down

Re: Your Club's Team of the Decade

Post by GeordieFalcon on Wed 13 Sep 2017, 10:29 pm

Ill do the worst one in the last ten years shortly...thatll much harder as my team has been full of sh1te players for that whole period!!

Also id be very interested in seeing peoples best imports team ever...or even what they think the entire leagues best imports 15 would be!

GeordieFalcon

Posts : 18935
Join date : 2011-03-31
Location : Newcastle

Back to top Go down

Re: Your Club's Team of the Decade

Post by thebandwagonsociety on Thu 14 Sep 2017, 5:40 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Ill do the worst one in the last ten years shortly...thatll much harder as my team has been full of sh1te players for that whole period!!

Also id be very interested in seeing peoples best imports team ever...or even what they think the entire leagues best imports 15 would be!

Best import ever.. that's an interesting one. For Leinster the imports I've mentioned were Nacewa, Reddan, Elsom, Hines, Ross and Cronin. 6 of the team of the last 10 years are imports. Elsom turned us from also-rans into winners, Nacewa is a club legend, Hines is the enforcer we've missed since he's been gone and Ross has been a rock of our set piece. Just can't choose as the positions and impact of the players has been so different. It's a good conversation to have.

thebandwagonsociety

Posts : 2265
Join date : 2011-06-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Your Club's Team of the Decade

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum