Squad wrangles, top order worries and who takes the wickets: Pre-Ashes Selections and Thoughts Thread

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Go down

Squad wrangles, top order worries and who takes the wickets: Pre-Ashes Selections and Thoughts Thread

Post by Dolphin Ziggler on Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:45 pm

First topic message reminder :

I was erring on the side of "too soon" when wondering whether to start this thread, but then I saw Olly had 12-fingered a "World Cup 2019" thread already and thought I was probably ok.

So, we move away from the West Indies and look at a trip Down Under to my second favourite country in the world; aye, we're heading to Australia for The Ashes.

And for us, there are many things to worry about. The top order hasn't really answered any questions firmly this summer: 3 of the top 5 could arguably count themselves lucky to be selected come November 23rd and a trip to Brisbane. It wouldn't be a surprise, given how things have gone, to see one of those dropped by the time we head to Adelaide for a day-nighter that will give those of us with jobs more of a chance to see some cricket!

There are questions in the bowling attack too, although you could be kind and say there's only one. Who is the other seamer? If Wood stays fit, surely he is the man to bring that real fizz that we'll need? But will he be fit? I know Oliver is sure of Woakes, and I do feel his strength with the bat could be useful with the shaky feeling about so many of the batsmen. One could also argue that it is how hard it is to really nail your colours to any of the options below the starting Xi that really keeps a less than inspiring (but still relatively well-performing) Stuart Broad away from much pressure.

Bayliss has said it's unlikely that any new faces will be picked. but with the amount of players England have got through lately, that still keeps us guessing somewhat.

Second spinner? Back-up wicket keeper? Where does Root bat and how does that change the side?

And what of Australia? I think it is safe to say that neither side is coming in with a classic XI on show. 

As I have confessed, I know by no means as much as pretty much anyone who comes to this part of the site, so enjoy reading and learning as we go. 

Go forth and predict your squad(s), XI(s) and discuss all and sundry whilst the words are meaningless and the rivalry brews.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Posts : 20261
Join date : 2012-03-01
Age : 29

Back to top Go down


Re: Squad wrangles, top order worries and who takes the wickets: Pre-Ashes Selections and Thoughts Thread

Post by jimbohammers on Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:28 pm

The Loaded Dog wrote:
jimbohammers wrote:
The Loaded Dog wrote:Jake Ball has got the nod ahead of Overton and it looks like Moeen will bat at 6, Bairstow at 7.

Glenn Maxwell has been called up to cover for either Warner (who should be OK) and Shaun Marsh who apparently hurt his back (again?) today at training.

Quite surprised at Ball ahead of Overton. (Also buggars me for your prediction game, LD!)

I left a post for you on that thread, jimbo... you need to select someone else. Still plenty of time. Quite dark here now though Wink

Cheers LD, have just posted in the thread

jimbohammers

Posts : 2269
Join date : 2011-05-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Squad wrangles, top order worries and who takes the wickets: Pre-Ashes Selections and Thoughts Thread

Post by guildfordbat on Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:20 pm

Succinct summing up today from my man Stewart -
''Whoever does the best with the new ball win the series.''

guildfordbat

Posts : 11803
Join date : 2011-04-07

Back to top Go down

Re: Squad wrangles, top order worries and who takes the wickets: Pre-Ashes Selections and Thoughts Thread

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:46 pm

Pictures of the pitch show a green tinge, but all journalists expect that it will be a good batting track, with something in it for the bowlers for the first session with said grass on the wicket.
avatar
Good Golly I'm Olly

Posts : 44250
Join date : 2011-09-18
Age : 22
Location : Chris Woakes's wardrobe

Back to top Go down

Re: Squad wrangles, top order worries and who takes the wickets: Pre-Ashes Selections and Thoughts Thread

Post by JDizzle on Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:49 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Pictures of the pitch show a green tinge, but all  journalists expect that it will be a good batting track, with something in it for the bowlers for the first session with said grass on the wicket.

So, what you are saying is... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EG4qL7qMXHQ


JDizzle

Posts : 4549
Join date : 2011-03-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Squad wrangles, top order worries and who takes the wickets: Pre-Ashes Selections and Thoughts Thread

Post by Duty281 on Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:38 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Pictures of the pitch show a green tinge, but all  journalists expect that it will be a good batting track, with something in it for the bowlers for the first session with said grass on the wicket.

Both sides will be confident of early breakthroughs should they field first.

Duty281

Posts : 17105
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 22
Location : Not having Chance on here

Back to top Go down

Re: Squad wrangles, top order worries and who takes the wickets: Pre-Ashes Selections and Thoughts Thread

Post by Pal Joey on Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:45 pm

I've set up a match thread here:

http://www.606v2.com/t66820-the-ashes-1st-test-brisbane

Not long to go now...

Pal Joey
TLD
TLD

Posts : 48284
Join date : 2011-01-27
Location : In your backyard

Back to top Go down

Re: Squad wrangles, top order worries and who takes the wickets: Pre-Ashes Selections and Thoughts Thread

Post by guildfordbat on Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:36 pm

Ben Foakes and Tom Curran temporarily leave the senior squad to play for the England Lions in a 12-a-side three day game against Queensland starting on Monday. Good to give them some game time although it probably also confirms how far they are from the Test side.

Keaton Jennings captains the Lions. Mark Wood also plays.

guildfordbat

Posts : 11803
Join date : 2011-04-07

Back to top Go down

Re: Squad wrangles, top order worries and who takes the wickets: Pre-Ashes Selections and Thoughts Thread

Post by alfie on Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:09 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Ben Foakes and Tom Curran temporarily leave the senior squad to play for the England Lions in a 12-a-side three day game against Queensland starting on Monday. Good to give them some game time although it probably also confirms how far they are from the Test side.

Keaton Jennings captains the Lions. Mark Wood also plays.

Makes sense. They aren't going to play in Adelaide : they need match practice - and Perth may indeed call for for some team changes. With Wood a more than outside chance to be drafted in , I fancy , if he is firing.

alfie

Posts : 9107
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Melbourne.

Back to top Go down

Re: Squad wrangles, top order worries and who takes the wickets: Pre-Ashes Selections and Thoughts Thread

Post by guildfordbat on Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:12 pm

Alfie - thought you would pick up the reference to Wood. Wink

guildfordbat

Posts : 11803
Join date : 2011-04-07

Back to top Go down

Re: Squad wrangles, top order worries and who takes the wickets: Pre-Ashes Selections and Thoughts Thread

Post by alfie on Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:19 pm

Yes ...I am to be honest still not completely sold on Wood as he is yet to have a real day out in a Test Match : plus he does seem to get injured a lot and his action seems almost designed to invite trouble...But he clearly has a bit of pace and is probably the best candidate "waiting in the wings" that could give the current England attack a bit of a boost.

Your man Curran is a year or so away yet , I think.

alfie

Posts : 9107
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Melbourne.

Back to top Go down

Re: Squad wrangles, top order worries and who takes the wickets: Pre-Ashes Selections and Thoughts Thread

Post by guildfordbat on Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:12 pm

Alfie - I understand your views on Wood.

I also agree with you about Curran. I'm pretty sure Bayliss and co feel the same.

guildfordbat

Posts : 11803
Join date : 2011-04-07

Back to top Go down

Re: Squad wrangles, top order worries and who takes the wickets: Pre-Ashes Selections and Thoughts Thread

Post by guildfordbat on Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:12 pm

sorry - double post.

guildfordbat

Posts : 11803
Join date : 2011-04-07

Back to top Go down

Re: Squad wrangles, top order worries and who takes the wickets: Pre-Ashes Selections and Thoughts Thread

Post by Gooseberry on Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:59 am

Guilford to me that shows they arent hitting the panic button for the second test, quite sensibly, but do wnat to mnake sure these guys are sharp for test 3 onwards. Woods way short of match bowling, its vital he gets that. Foakes isnt going to come in as a specialist bat (just yet ...lets not forget the farce of Buttler at 7)  and I cant see them taking the gloves off Bairstow unless hes having a real crisis. 

Im not a massive fan of Wood but I do agree that its important England get him back as an option. The attack is toothless as it stands, every bit as much as we feared it would be. Bowling full to Smith without movement isnt even inviting him to make a mistake. Bowling sub 140 bouncers to him just lets him pick and choose wether to get a boundary or not. Moeens rarely effective unless teams are going after him, and Australia have shown unexpected discipline to not do that for the most part. 
Like Ball Woods not fast enough to really make a difference, but they will need to rotate the bowlers through the series if nothing else. He has a bit more zip that an ageing Broad at least. Unpopular opinion Im sure but for this series I see him as a better option than Overton later in the series....if hes going well in the Lions/tour games. 

Stokes is the one guy who could lift the side ....but doesnt look like hes available any time soon.

Gooseberry

Posts : 3312
Join date : 2015-02-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Squad wrangles, top order worries and who takes the wickets: Pre-Ashes Selections and Thoughts Thread

Post by guildfordbat on Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:01 am

Gooseberry wrote:Guilford to me that shows they arent hitting the panic button for the second test, quite sensibly, but do wnat to mnake sure these guys are sharp for test 3 onwards. Woods way short of match bowling, its vital he gets that. Foakes isnt going to come in as a specialist bat (just yet ...lets not forget the farce of Buttler at 7)  and I cant see them taking the gloves off Bairstow unless hes having a real crisis. 

Im not a massive fan of Wood but I do agree that its important England get him back as an option. The attack is toothless as it stands, every bit as much as we feared it would be. Bowling full to Smith without movement isnt even inviting him to make a mistake. Bowling sub 140 bouncers to him just lets him pick and choose wether to get a boundary or not. Moeens rarely effective unless teams are going after him, and Australia have shown unexpected discipline to not do that for the most part. 
Like Ball Woods not fast enough to really make a difference, but they will need to rotate the bowlers through the series if nothing else. He has a bit more zip that an ageing Broad at least. Unpopular opinion Im sure but for this series I see him as a better option than Overton later in the series....if hes going well in the Lions/tour games. 

Stokes is the one guy who could lift the side ....but doesnt look like hes available any time soon.

Agreed although it's been good of him to go to New Zealand and take Bairstow off the back page! Smile

guildfordbat

Posts : 11803
Join date : 2011-04-07

Back to top Go down

Re: Squad wrangles, top order worries and who takes the wickets: Pre-Ashes Selections and Thoughts Thread

Post by Duty281 on Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:21 pm

Duty281 wrote:5-0 is a strong possibility, if Australia win the first test.

4/7 that Australia win - get your life savings, pawn your jewellery and electrical items, remortgage your house etc. etc. and lump it all on Australia. England have about as much chance in this series as I do of striking a double-century at Lord’s.

Well that was the bet of the year. The absolute bet of the year.

Can't wait for 2019 when, no doubt, the bookmakers get it hopelessly wrong again and chalk England up as 3/1 outsiders! laughing

Duty281

Posts : 17105
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 22
Location : Not having Chance on here

Back to top Go down

Re: Squad wrangles, top order worries and who takes the wickets: Pre-Ashes Selections and Thoughts Thread

Post by Gooseberry on Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:59 am

Duty281 wrote:
Duty281 wrote:5-0 is a strong possibility, if Australia win the first test.

4/7 that Australia win - get your life savings, pawn your jewellery and electrical items, remortgage your house etc. etc. and lump it all on Australia. England have about as much chance in this series as I do of striking a double-century at Lord’s.

Well that was the bet of the year. The absolute bet of the year.

Can't wait for 2019 when, no doubt, the bookmakers get it hopelessly wrong again and chalk England up as 3/1 outsiders! laughing


No kidding I cant believe I didnt get on that!
I had faith that England had enough to get a win here, or at least that Australia had enough weaknesses that England could hardly help but win one. And obviously pre Stokes things looked a lot better.
Things that have gone unexpectadly are just how poor Englands senior players ( bar Anderson) have been, just how many runs Smith has managed to get, Marsh scoring double figures in a game let alone triple in an innings, and the Aussie quicks staying fit 3 games in a row.
Its been a lot more one sided than people expected, but I, still struggling to see how England could have gone in as favourites.

Gooseberry

Posts : 3312
Join date : 2015-02-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Squad wrangles, top order worries and who takes the wickets: Pre-Ashes Selections and Thoughts Thread

Post by Duty281 on Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:51 am

Ben Stokes set to be removed from the England ODI squad.

Duty281

Posts : 17105
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 22
Location : Not having Chance on here

Back to top Go down

Re: Squad wrangles, top order worries and who takes the wickets: Pre-Ashes Selections and Thoughts Thread

Post by CaledonianCraig on Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:22 am

Duty281 wrote:Ben Stokes set to be removed from the England ODI squad.

Apparently, to be replaced by Dawid Malan.
avatar
CaledonianCraig

Posts : 17195
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 49
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: Squad wrangles, top order worries and who takes the wickets: Pre-Ashes Selections and Thoughts Thread

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum