The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Andre Ward announces his retirement

+14
DuransHorse
catchweight
LionsV2
Atila
AdamT
mobilemaster8
BoxingFan88
Mr Bounce
Herman Jaeger
hazharrison
Mochyn du
milkyboy
horizontalhero
88Chris05
18 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Andre Ward announces his retirement Empty Andre Ward announces his retirement

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 21 Sep 2017, 4:06 pm

So, Andre Ward claims he's retiring from boxing. Class me as sceptical on this one, but he says his days as a prize fighter are over.

If he keeps his word, what are everyone's overall feelings about Ward's career? Has he done enough to be considered a great? Or do his (relatively) small number of fights against elite opposition and less than easy-on-the-eye style disqualify him?

If indeed this is the end, then it's been a damn fine career, whatever the exact details.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Andre Ward announces his retirement Empty Re: Andre Ward announces his retirement

Post by horizontalhero Thu 21 Sep 2017, 4:24 pm

If it wasn't for the controversy surround the Kovalev fights, I'd say good luck to him, and why not bow out- he'd have conclusively proven to be 'the man' in two weight classes, won lots of belts and lots of money. But, whilst the record book may show 2 wins over Kovalev, they are both with an asterix as far as i'm concerned. Beat him one more time, with no controversy and he's worthy of being in included in top company, and perhaps more importantly, the current crop of potential opponents aren't of sufficient status themselves to further enhance his legacy, so regardless of his talent I can't see that he could do anything now that see him held up with the Spinks and Charles of this world, so why bother to continue risking his health?

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Andre Ward announces his retirement Empty Re: Andre Ward announces his retirement

Post by milkyboy Thu 21 Sep 2017, 4:28 pm

decided against heavyweight then. Other than unifying against superduck or dropping to a catchweight for golovkin there's not much out there I guess.

It's been a great career. Whether he's a great depends on where you set your standard at, but you can't knock his resume. Well you can point out liberal use of the head, ugly style, 'lost' to kov, stay at home etc if you want Very Happy. Shame he d*cked around with those contract disputes in his prime.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mochyn du Thu 21 Sep 2017, 4:59 pm

Didn't have enough bouts for me to be considered an ATG in the classic sense. Wait for it.......maybe a similar bottom 100 ATG like Calzaghe. Both Kovalev fights had more than a whiff of home cooking about them. Weirdly didn't prove himself the better of the two despite two wins. The first he pretty well lost.

I think there's a lot to be said about padding up the record. Between say the super 6 and the Dawson, Kovalev fights he should have been more busy. Stevenson, Erdei, Degale, both Dirrells for example could have been vanquished to fill his CV out a bit. Too few fights for me to be up there with the very best.

Mochyn du

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 21 Sep 2017, 5:11 pm

Well, at least he's not fighting Buglioni (rumours were that's who he had lined up).

Odd one to rate. Cleaned up at '68 against good opposition in Kessler and Froch (though he had home advantage both times) but his championship reign was poor.

Came back to beat the best light heavyweight (if not the lineal champ in Stevenson) although the first decision was a gift and the second a bizarre call along the same lines as Duran-Buchanan.

I'm sure he'll make the HOF and his career has been a success. Hardly going to be packing them in on the after dinner circuit, though.

He was very difficult to beat, pretty awful to watch and leaves no real highlights to look back on.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Thu 21 Sep 2017, 5:53 pm

Obviously doesn't fancy his chances against guys like Bivol and Beterbiev

HoF worthy but not atg for me. Inactive champion and not enough fights

Lost the first Kovalev fight and Kovalev sat on the ropes to avoid getting hit low again in second fight that's not a conclusive victory imo nor good enough reason to stop the fight. This looks like he's running from the decider. Hasn't fought Stevenson. Still a lot he could do

Sceptical about this though I think he'll be back

Beat Kovalev, Stevenson, Beterbiev and Bivol and then you can call him anything you like that would be a record you could hold up against the greats

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Thu 21 Sep 2017, 6:01 pm

I for one would like to thank Andre Ward for doing his bit for exciting bouts by retiring.
You can't knock the guy's talent but sh*t the bed he was boring to listen to and worse to watch. Granted he cleaned up 2 divisions but a lot of those fights were on his terms. He also had more than his fair share of home advantage fights and a couple of gifts (the first Kovalev fight specifically). Very talented but an arrogant so and so with next to no following. He could have been much more.

So thank you Andre for retiring - I don't have to watch you any more. Good.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu 21 Sep 2017, 6:37 pm

You all know my opinion on Ward, so I will be diplomatic

Ward for me showed he had the ability to be great and at times he was, Froch and Sullivan Barrera spring to mind, both excellent performances with no fouling that I can recall and I really enjoyed both of those fights

But Ward always marred fights, even when he was winning handily with cheap fouling tactics and as a fan I just cannot respect that, sometimes breaking every damn rule in one fight

I won't really miss him due to that

Unlike a lot of people, I liked listening to Andre Ward, I never found his interviews boring

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Thu 21 Sep 2017, 7:29 pm

My thoughts? A quality fighter, two weight world champion, boring inside and out the ring but very respected....and as sad as it sounds...will only be remembered for his two shady victories against Kovalev in my eyes. Lost the 1st and let's not even go there in the 2nd. Completely lost me how that one unfolded.

Good fighter yes. Great fighter? Argument for and against. Overall I feel unsatisfied. Had the potential to be/do so much more.

Fair play to him though. Hope he has a good retirement...if it's legit.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 21 Sep 2017, 8:21 pm

My thoughts?

Only retired until he gets a half decent pay day

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu 21 Sep 2017, 8:25 pm

AdamT wrote:My thoughts?

Only retired until he gets a half decent pay day

Exactly this

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Thu 21 Sep 2017, 9:55 pm

I hope he stays retired and I don't mean that in a mean way either. He's 33 and presumably is worth a few million. Why fight if the desire is not there?

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsV2 Thu 21 Sep 2017, 9:57 pm

Bivol- lol.

LionsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu 21 Sep 2017, 11:42 pm

Hope he uses his retirement to do a bit of travelling.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 22 Sep 2017, 7:40 am

A successful boxer, that isn't always easy on the eye, gets blasted on here. What else is new?

No Ward wasn't always for, 'Big drama show'. He could fight though.

Same people that blast Ward, likely jizz over Jack Johnson. With the articles I have read and any footage shown, he wasn't exactly mr exciting either.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Fri 22 Sep 2017, 8:06 am

catchweight wrote:Hope he uses his retirement to do a bit of travelling.

He'll probably need to think about applying for a passport now.

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri 22 Sep 2017, 8:32 am

AdamT wrote:A successful boxer, that isn't always easy on the eye, gets blasted on here. What else is new?

Same people that blast Ward, likely jizz over Jack Johnson. With the articles I have read and any footage shown, he wasn't exactly mr exciting either.

Thankfully, three of them have retired this year! Truly, a great year for the sport!

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 22 Sep 2017, 9:46 am

hazharrison wrote:
AdamT wrote:A successful boxer, that isn't always easy on the eye, gets blasted on here. What else is new?

Thankfully, three of them have retired this year! Truly, a great year for the sport!

Good troll attempt.

Your boy GGG didn't turn out to be great either. Only knocks out cans.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Fri 22 Sep 2017, 10:06 am

I can't help but think this is being met with a big meh from a lot of people due to his inactivity and his unlikeability.

Great boxer, boring (for some) style and think he really needed a conclusive win to cement his status.

think it'll be a career that will be looked back upon as a 'what if' rather than a 'he was great'

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsV2 Fri 22 Sep 2017, 10:15 am

The overall number of fights doesn't really matter, the overall quality on his record is quite outstanding, if we look at just the names.

Miranda- Still useful at the time
Kessler- Top 10 at 168lbs overall
Green- Decent title defence
Bika- Ugly fight but again a decent defence
Abraham- Good win
Froch- Top 10 at 168lbs overall
Dawson- Weight drained but conclusively won
Rodriguez- top ten at the time
Barrera- The ease of that win looks more impressive as time goes by
Kovalev- Two controversial wins but deservedly so in my opinion

It's not the greatest resume of all time but that's ten opponents who were all within the top ten of their divisions at the time.

LionsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Fri 22 Sep 2017, 10:34 am

The Dawson and Kovalev wins all come with huge asterisks

Funny Ramirez and DeGale and a pre Froch Bute couldn't get a fight with him

Seemed more interested in Bellew than Beterbiev what does that say..

Solid rather than outstanding resume next few fights decide his greatness but he's getting out

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsV2 Fri 22 Sep 2017, 10:47 am

Funny how you only ever comment on boxers ducking people rather than comment on who they actually fought, ignoring that Bute turned down the super six which tied up Ward unsurprisingly.

LionsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Fri 22 Sep 2017, 10:54 am

Nice smokescreen bringing up ducking the real argument here is that I disagree with you on Ward's resume

You think it's outstanding I say it's solid

Add on Ramirez, DeGale, Froch in Nottingham(which Ward declined,) Kovalev decider, Stevenson, Beterbiev and Bivol then you're looking at a record you can hold up against the greats

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Fri 22 Sep 2017, 10:56 am

No wait I just checked your posts I'm putting words in your mouth even you said it's not the greatest resume in the world

So we're in agreement he's not quite atg

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 22 Sep 2017, 10:59 am

He isn't an atg, but what current boxer is closer? Certainly not GGG and Kovalev.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 22 Sep 2017, 11:00 am

Herman Jaeger wrote:Froch in Nottingham(which Ward declined,)
Is that a fact? I was never under the impression that Froch wanted it, he was decisively beaten.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsV2 Fri 22 Sep 2017, 11:03 am

As a Froch fan I can't say I had any interest in watching him get outboxed again by Ward.

Stevenson is the only one adding anything to his resume and that's more to say he was the fully unified champion; Bivol and Beterbiev seem to be your flavour of the month but aren't adding anything nor is a Froch rematch nor is Ramirez (super middleweight).

LionsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Fri 22 Sep 2017, 11:04 am

Scottrf wrote:
Herman Jaeger wrote:Froch in Nottingham(which Ward declined,)
Is that a fact? I was never under the impression that Froch wanted it, he was decisively beaten.

Decisively beaten there's no argument about that but Ward made it clear he would only travel if it was in London

Froch offered him Nottingham Ward declined, of that there is no doubt

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 22 Sep 2017, 11:08 am

I'll take your word for that. I don't think repeating a clear win adds much though. And Degale really?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsV2 Fri 22 Sep 2017, 11:09 am

Offered him Nottingham whilst chasing Chavez jr in Las Vegas.

LionsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Fri 22 Sep 2017, 11:15 am

LionsV2 wrote:As a Froch fan I can't say I had any interest in watching him get outboxed again by Ward.

Stevenson is the only one adding anything to his resume and that's more to say he was the fully unified champion; Bivol and Beterbiev seem to be your flavour of the month but aren't adding anything nor is a Froch rematch nor is Ramirez (super middleweight).

Ramirez would have been one of the trickiest fights technically Ward would have had at super middle

Froch in Nottingham in a bear pit atmosphere would have told us a lot about Ward

Beterbiev and Bivol would have shown us if Ward was a light heavyweight of any real note. Not defending his light heavyweight title counts heavily against him for me

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Fri 22 Sep 2017, 11:21 am

Scottrf wrote:I'll take your word for that. I don't think repeating a clear win adds much though. And Degale really?

Again I think DeGale would have been an interesting fight certainly one the fans would like to have seen and would have been one of the trickier tests technically that  Ward would have faced at 168

He hasn't made enough defences of his title at 168 to be a great and has made zero defences at 75 it's all a bit hit and run with Ward

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Fri 22 Sep 2017, 11:30 am

LionsV2 wrote:Offered him Nottingham whilst chasing Chavez jr in Las Vegas.

We're not debating Froch here never said Carl was an atg did I so irrelevant point

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 22 Sep 2017, 11:32 am

Herman Jaeger wrote:

We're not debating Froch here never said Carl was an atg did I  so irrelevant point
Point being that he may have 'offered' it, but was it a serious offer and was there any intention? I don't believe he ever wanted to fight Ward again.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Fri 22 Sep 2017, 11:34 am

AdamT wrote:He isn't an atg, but what current boxer is closer? Certainly not GGG and Kovalev.

No you're right Golovkin and Kovalev are fairly obviously yet to cement legendary(atg) status

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Fri 22 Sep 2017, 11:36 am

Scottrf wrote:
Herman Jaeger wrote:

We're not debating Froch here never said Carl was an atg did I  so irrelevant point
Point being that he may have 'offered' it, but was it a serious offer and was there any intention? I don't believe he ever wanted to fight Ward again.

I don't think he really wanted to either still doesn't alter the fact he made the Nottingham offer

If Ward had said yes the fight would have been on

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 22 Sep 2017, 11:54 am

Herman Jaeger wrote:
AdamT wrote:He isn't an atg, but what current boxer is closer? Certainly not GGG and Kovalev.

No you're right Golovkin and Kovalev are fairly obviously yet to cement legendary(atg) status

I doubt they will reach Legendary status. Many on here question Floyd and Manny. These two guys are well above current fighters, other than Ward. He is close.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsV2 Fri 22 Sep 2017, 12:03 pm

What fan would want to see Andre Ward fight James Degale?

LionsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsV2 Fri 22 Sep 2017, 12:04 pm

Saying in an interview you want to fight someone doesn't constitute an offer.

LionsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Fri 22 Sep 2017, 12:05 pm

Golovkin could fight another four years, Kovalev another six so time will tell, Adam

Floyd and Manny obviously nailed on atg's

Ward debatable don't like his retiring when light heavyweight is looking very interesting at the minute you've got Gvozdyk too I'd like to see Ward in with this mix no way you can say Ward beats them all

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Fri 22 Sep 2017, 12:09 pm

LionsV2 wrote:What fan would want to see Andre Ward fight James Degale?

Would have been an interesting contest directly post DeGale's win over Dirrell

But if he fights Beterbiev, Bivol and Gvozdyk instead I'll give him a pass

Sadly looks like he's retired..

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Fri 22 Sep 2017, 12:10 pm

Cool
LionsV2 wrote:Saying in an interview you want to fight someone doesn't constitute an offer.

Called Ward's bluff, Ward showed his true colours had to have everything his own way throughout his entire career

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 22 Sep 2017, 12:11 pm

Herman Jaeger wrote:Golovkin could fight another four years, Kovalev another six so time will tell, Adam

Ward debatable don't like his retiring when light heavyweight is looking very interesting at the minute you've got Gvozdyk too I'd like to see Ward in with this mix no way you can say Ward beats them all

With the punches GGG takes, I would worry about him potentially fighting for 6 more years.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsV2 Fri 22 Sep 2017, 12:11 pm

I can and will say that Ward would beat them all; the only positive you see in them is that Ward hasn't fought them.

LionsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 22 Sep 2017, 12:11 pm

AdamT wrote:
Herman Jaeger wrote:Golovkin could fight another four years, Kovalev another six so time will tell, Adam

With the punches GGG takes, I would worry about him potentially fighting for 4 more years.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsV2 Fri 22 Sep 2017, 12:12 pm

Herman Jaeger wrote: Cool
LionsV2 wrote:Saying in an interview you want to fight someone doesn't constitute an offer.

Called Ward's bluff, Ward showed his true colours had to have everything his own way throughout his entire career

By not making an actual offer to a fight in Nottingham.

Almost as good as your Hopkins ducked Kovalev argument.

LionsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Fri 22 Sep 2017, 12:14 pm

Wouldn't want to be taking too many more right hands similar to the one Canelo landed in the ninth that's for sure, Adam

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 22 Sep 2017, 12:15 pm

He has a granite jaw. Not good for the brain to take shots like that for too long.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Fri 22 Sep 2017, 12:17 pm

LionsV2 wrote:
Herman Jaeger wrote: Cool

By not making an actual offer to a fight in Nottingham.

Almost as good as your Hopkins ducked Kovalev argument.

He made it clear in the media Ward could have a fight if it was in Nottingham what's there to dispute?

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Fri 22 Sep 2017, 12:21 pm

LionsV2 wrote:I can and will say that Ward would beat them all; the only positive you see in them is that Ward hasn't fought them.

He hasn't got enough form at light heavyweight for you or anyone to say that he's still got plenty to prove at 75 imo

That's not to say he can't but he's still got it to prove

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next