The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales selection policy

+3
Scottrf
lostinwales
No 7&1/2
7 posters

Go down

Wales selection policy Empty Wales selection policy

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 09 Oct 2017, 10:02 am

Looks as if the rules on players plying their trade outside of Wales being able to represent their country in numbers is going to be relaxed. England have managed to stem the flow of players primarily going to France by a block ban but wales do seem t have a fair few.loop holes that players have perhaps taken to mean a big enough name won't be held to any restrictions.

Are these changes likely to impact the clubs negatively or will it have any implications for the Welsh team or players. Surely some good points to this as well?

Wales consider possible Test selection change to 'Gatland's Law' - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/41547139

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Wales selection policy Empty Re: Wales selection policy

Post by lostinwales Mon 09 Oct 2017, 12:20 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Looks as if the rules on players plying their trade outside of Wales being able to represent their country in numbers is going to be relaxed. England have managed to stem the flow of players primarily going to France by a block ban but wales do seem t have a fair few.loop holes that players have perhaps taken to mean a big enough name won't be held to any restrictions.

Are these changes likely to impact the clubs negatively or will it have any implications for the Welsh team or players. Surely some good points to this as well?

Wales consider possible Test selection change to 'Gatland's Law' - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/41547139

I don't think it is that easy to compare England and Wales in this respect given the number of teams involved (plus the money)

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 09 Oct 2017, 12:21 pm

Haven't they been relaxed forever?

They have exemptions for every player they want to include.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon 09 Oct 2017, 12:27 pm

Ireland is perhaps a fairer comparison than England, in terms of number of teams and players.

The main problem with Gatland's law in its current form is that there are just too many exceptions IMO, which makes it a bit pointless.

The article seems to be suggesting something closer to Australia's rules, which allows the more experienced players to be picked even when playing for foreign teams. Maybe it could work if they simplified it at the same time to get rid of all said exceptions.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 09 Oct 2017, 12:27 pm

Scottrf wrote:Haven't they been relaxed forever?

They have exemptions for every player they want to include.

It seems like the moment a player, who is wanted in the national side, leaves a region for fresh pastures, the national set up start to look for ways to work the system to fit them in.

I would not be suprised if they come out and say that Biggar sigend for Saints before a reasonable contrat was offered to him, so he is ok. And Webb was offered a NDC however it was not comparable to that from Toulon, so that means he is ok.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 09 Oct 2017, 3:01 pm

I do not know what the rules or stipulations are for players outside of Wales, but just to put some perspective on this, there has never been such a thing as Gatlands law has there ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 09 Oct 2017, 3:03 pm

LordDowlais wrote:I do not know what the rules or stipulations are for players outside of Wales, but just to put some perspective on this, there has never been such a thing as Gatlands law has there ?

What do you mean? For other countries? Or that Gatland's Law isnt' the official name?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 09 Oct 2017, 3:45 pm

Scottrf wrote:What do you mean? For other countries? Or that Gatland's Law isnt' the official name?

Gatlands law was never a thing. It was just a phrase used by the media to describe players not getting picked from outside of Wales.

There has never been any criteria for choosing players based in any other country, not that I have seen anyway. Yes I have heard the term wildcard, but what is the criteria for being a wildcard ? All I know is, if you have not been offered a contract to stay in Wales, then you are a wildcard, but as far as Gatland's law is concerned, there has never been such a thing.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 09 Oct 2017, 3:48 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
Scottrf wrote:What do you mean? For other countries? Or that Gatland's Law isnt' the official name?

Gatlands law was never a thing. It was just a phrase used by the media to describe players not getting picked from outside of Wales.

There has never been any criteria for choosing players based in any other country, not that I have seen anyway. Yes I have heard the term wildcard, but what is the criteria for being a wildcard ? All I know is, if you have not been offered a contract to stay in Wales, then you are a wildcard, but as far as Gatland's law is concerned, there has never been such a thing.

http://www.wru.co.uk/eng/news/37155.php#.WduMPltSyM8

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 09 Oct 2017, 4:18 pm

Every day is a school day.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Mon 09 Oct 2017, 4:19 pm

This site doesn't half make me laugh, every year we (Welsh) are accused of as long as we beat the English everything is fine, yet this topic is yet another about Welsh Rugby started by an Englishman and the majority of contributors are English.
Do I contribute in any way about any English topic unless Wales are playing them? NO
Do I start a topic about English Rugby? Nope

Even the Topic about Wales attempting to beat the All Blacks, after practically a month or so of nearly dying a death it is resurrected by yet another Englishman.

What is it about Welsh Rugby that so intrigues the English? In actual fact please don't bother answering.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 09 Oct 2017, 4:20 pm

Scottrf wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

Yes I know about this, but where does it explain the criteria ?

There is nothing there, that explains:-

1. Gatlands law. Because there isn't one.
2. The criteria to become a wildcard.

What is the criteria to be a wildcard ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 09 Oct 2017, 4:25 pm

Given I started the topic wayne it's because I'm a rugby fan and don't limit myself to talk about small parts of the game.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 09 Oct 2017, 4:29 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
Scottrf wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

Yes I know about this, but where does it explain the criteria ?

There is nothing there, that explains:-

1. Gatlands law. Because there isn't one.
2. The criteria to become a wildcard.

What is the criteria to be a wildcard ?

Gatland's law is just a name given to the selection policy. I assume you're being obtuse.

Anyone after the cut of point who turned down a sensible offer to stay in Wales, that moves outside.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 09 Oct 2017, 4:33 pm

Scottrf wrote:Gatland's law is just a name given to the selection policy. I assume you're being obtuse.

It's never been a thing though.but thanks for the insult. OK

Scottrf wrote:Anyone after the cut of point who turned down a sensible offer to stay in Wales, that moves outside.

So who would that be then ? And when you have decided that, who should be your wildcards ? What do the players have to do to become a wildcard ?

Do you honestly think that if Gatland needs to pick a player, then he will not because of this wildcard issue ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 09 Oct 2017, 4:36 pm

Did you not understand the link scott posted ld? I take it you feel this will have no impact whatsoever then?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 09 Oct 2017, 4:36 pm

There's literally a list of players.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 09 Oct 2017, 4:41 pm

Scottrf wrote:There's literally a list of players.

Go on then, tell us.

Then tell us if in your opinion a sensible offer was made to keep them in Wales.

Next season we will see the following players playing outside Wales, to name 4, because 4 does not fit into 3:-

Taulupe Faletau
Rhys Webb
Dan Biggar
George North

Do you honestly see Gatland sacrificing any of those because of this wildcard rule ?

There are NO criteria's what so ever, so the whole thing is nonsense.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 09 Oct 2017, 4:42 pm

So why are the wru considering changing it ld?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 09 Oct 2017, 4:44 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
Scottrf wrote:There's literally a list of players.

Go on then, tell us.

Then tell us if in your opinion a sensible offer was made to keep them in Wales.

Next season we will see the following players playing outside Wales, to name 4, because 4 does not fit into 3:-

Taulupe Faletau
Rhys Webb
Dan Biggar
George North

Do you honestly see Gatland sacrificing any of those because of this wildcard rule ?

There are NO criteria's what so ever, so the whole thing is nonsense.

Why are you so angry?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 09 Oct 2017, 4:46 pm

Scottrf wrote:Why are you so angry?

Why have you come to the conclusion that I am angry ? Very Happy

Honestly I am not. OK

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content