The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+16
super_realist
kwinigolfer
McLaren
pedro
Diggers
dynamark
Shotrock
Mad for Chelsea
I'm never wrong
JAS
raycastleunited
westisbest
Roller_Coaster
Davie
Be_the_ball
beninho
20 posters

Page 18 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 18 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by beninho Sun 15 Oct 2017, 10:57 am

First topic message reminder :

I think bailly does look a good prospect, but he is pretty raw. The spurs pairing is probably the best in tge league as a partnership. I think mendy looks an immense left back, alonso also good, I think rose is better then bertrand though, when fit. I remember a time when full backs had to defend!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 18 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by beninho Fri 29 Dec 2017, 10:34 am

Thats interesting, the attendances in Germany are great, its such a good model with the 50+1 rule and good value tickets, but would you say its a good league, it doesn't really attract tge best players and when players become stars they leave or join munich. Its dominated by one massive team and has been almost forever.

Serie a, is pretty poor now.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 18 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Diggers Fri 29 Dec 2017, 10:38 am

Yeah, what the Germans do well is keep most of their own players (a few travel but it's not that common) and get lots of their young lads playing. That's the model we need to work to.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 29 Dec 2017, 11:37 am

Leon Goretxa seems the next german player coming through, linked with all big clubs. Will he go overseas or join munich.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 29 Dec 2017, 11:46 am

I guess Sane at City as well, he is a quality player.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 29 Dec 2017, 12:09 pm

Sane is very good, he is another where it was thought to have been overpaid, no real fanfare. Similar to de bruyne at the time.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 29 Dec 2017, 12:56 pm

beninho wrote:Thats interesting, the attendances in Germany are great, its such a good model with the 50+1 rule and good value tickets, but would you say its a good league, it doesn't really attract tge best players and when players become stars they leave or join munich. Its dominated by one massive team and has been almost forever.

You could say the same for the Premier League. The Bundesliga has had the same number of teams winning the league in the last 15 years as the Premier League has.
The Premier League also doesn't attract the best players and when they become good, they also leave. Seems pretty similar to me, other than the German players do go abroad and they do know how to win a tournament.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 29 Dec 2017, 1:10 pm

Our State economy depends to a significant degree on winter sport tourism.
Good news for the ski resorts: Plenty of snow, sustained cold temps to secure the base, and pretty much a ten-day "holiday" period.
Bad news for the ski resorts: It's so effing cold that many have closed down some lifts and access to higher altitude runs.
If it's not one thing, it's another.
But good news for ice fishermen is that the Lake will freeze over during the next week!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 29 Dec 2017, 1:23 pm

super_realist wrote:
beninho wrote:Thats interesting, the attendances in Germany are great, its such a good model with the 50+1 rule and good value tickets, but would you say its a good league, it doesn't really attract tge best players and when players become stars they leave or join munich. Its dominated by one massive team and has been almost forever.

You could say the same for the Premier League. The Bundesliga has had the same number of teams winning the league in the last 15 years as the Premier League has.
The Premier League also doesn't attract the best players and when they become good, they also leave. Seems pretty similar to me, other than the German players do go abroad and they do know how to win a tournament.

So after all this, as far as I can see, bar Madrid and Barca ( followed by Munich and Man Utd), you can throw a blanket over the rest. All have their own claims for being a big club, be it crowd size, trophies won, salaries paid, value of club. Bar a recent league title, Liverpool are up their with the best of the rest.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 29 Dec 2017, 1:40 pm

No, I'm not saying that at all, but belittling leagues like Serie A or Bundesliga when the Premier League is no better is a very stupid thing to do.
When was the last time an English team won the Champions League? Five years is it now?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 29 Dec 2017, 1:48 pm

You wrote off the English clubs a few months ago, belittling their European efforts. I and others said it's all cyclical, lo and behold we have 5 clubs in the last 16. Since the European Cup went to Champions League format the English clubs have done well, as they have always done in Europe.
When is the last time PSG won the Champions League? Or for that matter City?
To write off Liverpools 5, with 1 of them being fairly recent in football terms, is just crazy. They are a massive club with big ambitions.
You still haven't answered my question by the way.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 29 Dec 2017, 1:53 pm

Bar munich and juventus, the german and Italian leagues are not as good as the prem. Just my view, if you disagree please give reasons.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Fri 29 Dec 2017, 2:12 pm

Heres a stat folks .I know its old ground but the price of Leicester team that won 15/16 we were discussing last night over a pint.
At least four free transfers,couple of academy products.two players scoring all the goals cost 1.5 mil between them.I think Kante was 4.5 m Okazaki a few quid and Ulloa we think 3 mil.
Couple of others Kasper and Morgan were brought in a few years earlier for pennies.
Strange indeed.
Sadly since then we have been throwing money at some players who have not come good.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 29 Dec 2017, 2:49 pm

super_realist wrote:

The Bundesliga also has been won by the same team for the past 5 years, odds on to make it 6. In that time 4 different clubs won the Premier League. Which league do you reckon is currently most predictable?

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 29 Dec 2017, 3:47 pm

Anyone else love the darts? I've been to watch before, a lot of fun. The wife loves it, bought her a board for Xmas!

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 29 Dec 2017, 3:49 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Our State economy depends to a significant degree on winter sport tourism.
Good news for the ski resorts: Plenty of snow, sustained cold temps to secure the base, and pretty much a ten-day "holiday" period.
Bad news for the ski resorts: It's so effing cold that many have closed down some lifts and access to higher altitude runs.
If it's not one thing, it's another.
But good news for ice fishermen is that the Lake will freeze over during the next week!

I remember it being -30 in Tremblant at night. Had to ski in a face mask it was so bitter and that was on a sunny day!

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Fri 29 Dec 2017, 6:02 pm

Digs you are all heart how thoughtfull.
When you come in and your face is pinned to the bull you will be in bother.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 29 Dec 2017, 6:13 pm

With my Mrs she'd forgoe the picture and throw the darts straight at my head.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 29 Dec 2017, 7:01 pm

Super

The Location, Location, Location episode on 4/7 at the moment is in Aberdeen if you are interested.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 30 Dec 2017, 9:50 am

I don't live in Aberdeen Mac.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 30 Dec 2017, 9:52 am

Diggers wrote:You wrote off the English clubs a few months ago, belittling their European efforts. I and others said it's all cyclical, lo and behold we have 5 clubs in the last 16. Since the European Cup went to Champions League format the English clubs have done well, as they have always done in Europe.
When is the last time PSG won the Champions League? Or for that matter City?
To write off Liverpools 5, with 1 of them being fairly recent in football terms, is just crazy. They are a massive club with big ambitions.
You still haven't answered my question by the way.

What was your question?

I'm not writing off Liverpool's 5 am I? I'm saying it doesn't move you any forward by thinking you're still a club with that level of achievement.

Also, I'd say that those saying the Bundesliga isn't as good as the Premier League is simply because they don't know enough about the Bundesliga.

There's some utter crap in both leagues and a handful of good ones. I don't think there's that much between them in reality.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat 30 Dec 2017, 10:33 am

Better is a hard word, all I'm saying is from my perspective it's fairly dull football to watch (purely subjective, it's far more interesting than Serie A which puts me to sleep) and for the past 6 years it's been pretty predictable. The Premier League has its faults, but it's not impossible that last years champins could finish 4th or 5th this year.
Re Liverpool, again, they are not resting on their laurels. Ground expansion...as you yourself said...ongoing. Big spending...on going.
I doubt they will ever be the dominant European team again, but they are clearly an ambitious, forward thinking, fantastic to watch club. I can't really see how that can be denied.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat 30 Dec 2017, 11:13 am

Diggers wrote:
an ambitious, forward thinking, fantastic to watch  club. I can't really see how that can be denied.
Hear hear. Tbh I can’t think of many clubs today, domestic and foregn, that are more enjoyable to watch. (Both in attack and defense.. Whistle )

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 30 Dec 2017, 11:59 am

Diggers wrote:Better is a hard word, all I'm saying is from my perspective it's fairly dull football to watch (purely subjective, it's far more interesting than Serie A which puts me to sleep) and for the past 6 years it's been pretty predictable. The Premier League has its faults, but it's not impossible that last years champins could finish 4th or 5th this year.
Re Liverpool, again, they are not resting on their laurels. Ground expansion...as you yourself said...ongoing. Big spending...on going.
I doubt they will ever be the dominant European team again, but they are clearly an ambitious, forward thinking, fantastic to watch  club. I can't really see how that can be denied.

Fair enough Diggers, I just don't think they are as big or as great or as relevant as their fans seem to think they are.

For what is claimed to be the 8th richest club in Europe, they're getting pretty poor returns are they not?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sat 30 Dec 2017, 12:15 pm

8th richest in worl, 5th richest in england. So if based on wealth, they are doing just fine.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 30 Dec 2017, 12:21 pm

Apparently the 9th richest in the world.

Not really doing that great considering Leicester have won the league from being considerably less rich than Liverpool.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat 30 Dec 2017, 12:52 pm

Doesn't the Leicester example simply prove that you don't have to have a massive capacity or a massive budget to win a league? Which kind of kills your argument surely?

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sat 30 Dec 2017, 1:15 pm

Hasn't the argur just become Liverpool are not as good as they used to be, their fans hark back to the good old days, for that reason they will always be rubbish. Though I recall he previously said he thought the scousers should have shut up a long time ago iver Hillsborough. Deep seated anti scouse issues.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 30 Dec 2017, 1:34 pm

I'd still expect a team with the funds of Liverpool to have won their league.
They're the only team in the top 10 richest clubs NOT to have won their league. Tells you something about them not being as big as they think, and not as good as they think if a team with as few resources as Leicester can win it. So what is stopping Liverpool from winning the league? They've got the money, they've got the resources, yet, they're not good enough to win it? Why is that? Too full of their own importance perhaps?

I do think they should be quiet over Hillsborough. That's not being anti-scouse. I also think they're incredibly petty in regards to their stance on The Sun for instance.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sat 30 Dec 2017, 1:38 pm

How does being full iff their own importance stop them winning the league? I don't understand that claim.

At what point should they have forgotten about Hillsborough, before the recent enquiry or after. When should people stop mourning relatives killed in a tragedy?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sat 30 Dec 2017, 1:39 pm

They have win their league 18 times. Second most in english football history.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 30 Dec 2017, 1:43 pm

You don't think overconfidence is a potential danger?

If you peacock your way around the league like you're a big time Charlie and are dining out on 5 European Cups then that sort of arrogance and over-confidence and expectation you should beat certain teams (who haven't won 5 European Cups can come back and bite you.) You hear that sort of stuff all the time, ie.England saying they should be beating teams like Iceland.

Liverpool this season have repeatedly given away leads and lost when in full control. I'm not saying it's definitely being down to thinking you're better than someone else, but it might be a factor.

It was an inquiry, not an enquiry. 28 years is long enough isn't it?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sat 30 Dec 2017, 1:48 pm

Nope.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Sat 30 Dec 2017, 2:48 pm

We did a better tot up today and put the Leicester winning squad at £22 mill total .
Bonkers ?

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 30 Dec 2017, 3:04 pm

Surprised Amertey's playing today, dyna, he should've been fired after his stupidity vs Man Utd.
Liverpool just showing why they need VVD . . . . . . . . . and a dependable partner alongside him.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat 30 Dec 2017, 5:29 pm

super_realist wrote:I'd still expect a team with the funds of Liverpool to have won their league.
They're the only team in the top 10 richest clubs NOT to have won their league. Tells you something about them not being as big as they think, and not as good as they think if a team with as few resources as Leicester can win it. So what is stopping Liverpool from winning the league? They've got the money, they've got the resources, yet, they're not good enough to win it? Why is that? Too full of their own importance perhaps?

I do think they should be quiet over Hillsborough. That's not being anti-scouse. I also think they're incredibly petty in regards to their stance on The Sun for instance.

Bloody hell. Now you expect them to have won the league? Yesterday you said they'd need a bigger stadium and more money and we're actually doing OK for a top 7 club, which is all they are. Makes you a hard man to debate with, I'll give you that.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 30 Dec 2017, 10:26 pm

Mourinho better get his head out of his arse soon or he'll be overtaken for the third European place by the minnows from Merseyside.
Nice to see Saints actually put a shift in today . . . . . . . .

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Sun 31 Dec 2017, 1:04 am; edited 1 time in total

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sun 31 Dec 2017, 12:52 am

kwinigolfer wrote:
Liverpool just showing why they need VVD . . . . . . . . . and a dependable partner alongside him.

And unfortunately Karius doesn’t fix the caries...

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 31 Dec 2017, 12:58 am

But look at united with one of the most expensively assembled squads ever, stumbling along. Mourinho starting to look like yesterday's man, with his tired rants and blame game.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun 31 Dec 2017, 12:01 pm

It's not a sport really, but Cross beating MVG in the darts last night was pure sporting theatre. Fantastic.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 31 Dec 2017, 12:27 pm

Not been watching the darys that much, suprised mvg is out though. The pwer to win it again, would be a great sendoff for the greatest arra thrower of all time.

The in laws are from stoke,its the home of darts!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sun 31 Dec 2017, 12:49 pm

Fantastic the darts last night! 400 grand to the winner - as good as it gets for being depraved, tattoed and overweight.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sun 31 Dec 2017, 12:56 pm

Philthy Taylor won't retire - or if he does it will be short lived. He's too much of an attention whore

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sun 31 Dec 2017, 1:00 pm

Davie wrote:Philthy Taylor won't retire - or if he does it will be short lived. He's too much of an attention lady of loose morals
Yeah he really seemed to enjoy it - and himself.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun 31 Dec 2017, 1:28 pm

I thought that about Taylor but think he will go, especially if he wins. The guy is 57 and looks completely knackered, true he loves himself though. Fair play this week, amazing effort and very good and honest interview after he won the semi. Really is a master at getting into players heads, plus he knows how to throw a dart.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 31 Dec 2017, 2:46 pm

Amazing stat I'd never've thunk for 2017:
Which team has most home wins in the Top 4 Divisions?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 31 Dec 2017, 2:57 pm

Palace halt Pep. They should have won it aswell.

Phil Taylor is pretty arrogant, but when you are the vest ever in your chosen profession, wouldn't you be?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun 31 Dec 2017, 3:44 pm

No Ozil today for Arsenal, interesting. Someone could get a relative bargain as he's going to be out of contract soon, amazing that him and Sanchez could get to that stage.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun 31 Dec 2017, 6:25 pm

Bizarre penalty call against Arsenal. How Chambers was meant to avoid the ball hitting his arm is beyond me. Decent display by West Brom though, so tight at the bottom.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 31 Dec 2017, 6:41 pm

Not much has gone right for Chambers @ Arsenal, sometimes his fault, but this is ridiculous. Regardless, not good enough for Arsenal - too many players not of Top 6 quality.
(West Brom better at both ends of the pitch now Craig Dawson is fit again.)

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 01 Jan 2018, 9:10 am

Happy New Year to one all! Lets hope 2018 is good for you all. I will hope for a full nights sleep at sone point. And golf, err maybe if im lucky. I may even hit the ball!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next