WRU want to bring players back to Wales - Ospreys announce signing of record-breaking Wales sevens star Luke Morgan

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down

WRU want to bring players back to Wales - Ospreys announce signing of record-breaking Wales sevens star Luke Morgan

Post by LordDowlais on Mon 30 Oct 2017, 10:40 am

First topic message reminder :

I was reading this story in the Mail on Sunday yesterday, and I thought it would cause a good debate on here, it seems that the WRU want to bring Welsh players back to Wales, and they want to start by bankrolling a deal to bring George North back at the end of the season.

Is this a start where we see more and more players being put into Dragons ?

It was also said that the WRU want to bankroll keeping the more experienced players in Wales as well, with AWJ being mentioned as a lynch pin and an ideal example of how this is done going forward. I for one hope that none of this is pie in the sky, I hope they really do target Welsh players playing abroad and get them back at the regions.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-5027991/WRU-chiefs-set-bankroll-George-North-s-return-Wales.html

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/wru-ready-bankroll-bid-bring-13826967

Also, for those of you who do not like going onto sites:-


  • WRU chiefs are ready to bankroll deal to bring George North back to Wales at the end of the season


  • George North is out of contract with Northampton and is yet to sign a new deal


  • North one of top earners at top level but top brass say they can now afford him


  • Chairman Gareth Davies believes the regions can now bankroll North's services


  • Davies also pushing proposals to reduce the size of the WRU board from 20 to 10


The Lions winger is out of contract with Northampton, who he joined from the Scarlets in 2013, and is yet to sign a new deal.
North is one of the top earners in the Premiership but chairman Gareth Davies believes the regions can now afford his services.
The new 60-cap selection policy makes it easier for the WRU to retain young players – leaving more National Dual Contract funds for Test stars.


‘George North will always be a target,’ Davies told the Mail on Sunday. ‘Now we’re in a better position to get him back. We want little Jonny to be able to go and see his favourite player in Wales.
‘We’ve succeeded in bringing Jonathan Davies and Leigh Halfpenny back. Is it good for the wider game if all the best players are playing in England? I don’t think so but it’s their right to do so.
‘In the past, we’ve used NDC money to keep youngsters who were tempted to move abroad and try to play for Wales. Now we can use it to bring them back or retain more experienced guys.

‘Someone like Alun-Wyn Jones has got to be a prime target to keep in Wales. He is important for the game, his region and the national team. He’ll be a lynchpin in getting the Ospreys back on track.’
Davies is currently pushing proposals to reduce the size of the WRU board from 20 to 10 – with a separate council for the community game – to replace a system which is ‘140 years old’.
‘Look at what’s happening with the FA; Sports bodies are expected to behave in a certain way,’ he said. ‘We’re a £75million business and we should have a modern-day, streamlined structure.
‘You go to district meetings and they’ve been talking about the same things for 20 years. At some meetings now the community game is hardly discussed. It’s like we’ve got 14 forwards and one back.’


Last edited by LordDowlais on Mon 16 Jul 2018, 5:06 pm; edited 17 times in total

LordDowlais

Posts : 12272
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down


Re: WRU want to bring players back to Wales - Ospreys announce signing of record-breaking Wales sevens star Luke Morgan

Post by PhilBB on Wed 11 Jul 2018, 8:26 am

mikey_dragon wrote:I don't rate Thornton much so it doesn't make sense from Cardiff's point of view

He's Welsh. And probably better than Ben Murphy and James Down.

Cardiff also have three teams to run next season.

I can't see why it doesn't make sense.
avatar
PhilBB

Posts : 4329
Join date : 2012-10-09

http://www.cardiffrfcfans.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: WRU want to bring players back to Wales - Ospreys announce signing of record-breaking Wales sevens star Luke Morgan

Post by PhilBB on Wed 11 Jul 2018, 8:30 am

RiscaGame wrote:It makes perfect sense to loan him out. They have to bring through Beard now, as it is and he might not always get the starts he wants if AWJ and BBBD are fit.

For the Os, loaning him out is bonkers. If they lose three players to the international squad, they'll be on their arse for second rows during three months of the season.
avatar
PhilBB

Posts : 4329
Join date : 2012-10-09

http://www.cardiffrfcfans.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: WRU want to bring players back to Wales - Ospreys announce signing of record-breaking Wales sevens star Luke Morgan

Post by VinceWLB on Wed 11 Jul 2018, 11:12 am

mikey_dragon wrote:I don't rate Thornton much so it doesn't make sense from Cardiff's point of view - just bringing in another average player to join the other average ones instead of actually strengthening the weak points. I also expect AWJ, BD and Beard to be in the Wales squad. I would like to see more of Beard involved in the Wales matchday squad especially.

Not rating him either, your not very good when you can't get ahead of Ashley in the pecking order.

Surely, the Blues will have Samu Manoa packing down at 2nd row. Him and Earle would form a very physical pairing.

VinceWLB

Posts : 3752
Join date : 2012-10-14

Back to top Go down

Re: WRU want to bring players back to Wales - Ospreys announce signing of record-breaking Wales sevens star Luke Morgan

Post by RiscaGame on Wed 11 Jul 2018, 7:35 pm

PhilBB wrote:
RiscaGame wrote:It makes perfect sense to loan him out. They have to bring through Beard now, as it is and he might not always get the starts he wants if AWJ and BBBD are fit.

For the Os, loaning him out is bonkers. If they lose three players to the international squad, they'll be on their arse for second rows during three months of the season.

Fair point. I wasn’t really thinking of international windows, to be honest.

RiscaGame

Posts : 1965
Join date : 2016-01-24

Back to top Go down

Re: WRU want to bring players back to Wales - Ospreys announce signing of record-breaking Wales sevens star Luke Morgan

Post by mikey_dragon on Thu 12 Jul 2018, 1:30 am

PhilBB wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:I don't rate Thornton much so it doesn't make sense from Cardiff's point of view

He's Welsh. And probably better than Ben Murphy and James Down.

Cardiff also have three teams to run next season.

I can't see why it doesn't make sense.

I don't know who Ben Murphy is, but we're not exactly churning out massive lock forwards that's for sure.

I said why, you didn't quote it. Anyway I see you've also signed Samu Manoa which is a damn good signing even though he's a little old; should fit right into the pack I guess....

mikey_dragon

Posts : 7183
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: WRU want to bring players back to Wales - Ospreys announce signing of record-breaking Wales sevens star Luke Morgan

Post by mikey_dragon on Thu 12 Jul 2018, 1:31 am

RiscaGame wrote:
PhilBB wrote:
RiscaGame wrote:It makes perfect sense to loan him out. They have to bring through Beard now, as it is and he might not always get the starts he wants if AWJ and BBBD are fit.

For the Os, loaning him out is bonkers. If they lose three players to the international squad, they'll be on their arse for second rows during three months of the season.

Fair point. I wasn’t really thinking of international windows, to be honest.

Did Ospreys also sign a Georgian lock, or was that my imagination? Either way they're likely to lose 3 locks during the international window.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 7183
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: WRU want to bring players back to Wales - Ospreys announce signing of record-breaking Wales sevens star Luke Morgan

Post by PhilBB on Thu 12 Jul 2018, 9:07 am

mikey_dragon wrote:
RiscaGame wrote:
PhilBB wrote:
RiscaGame wrote:It makes perfect sense to loan him out. They have to bring through Beard now, as it is and he might not always get the starts he wants if AWJ and BBBD are fit.

For the Os, loaning him out is bonkers. If they lose three players to the international squad, they'll be on their arse for second rows during three months of the season.

Fair point. I wasn’t really thinking of international windows, to be honest.

Did Ospreys also sign a Georgian lock, or was that my imagination? Either way they're likely to lose 3 locks during the international window.

He's more of a back row / flanker.
avatar
PhilBB

Posts : 4329
Join date : 2012-10-09

http://www.cardiffrfcfans.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: WRU want to bring players back to Wales - Ospreys announce signing of record-breaking Wales sevens star Luke Morgan

Post by PhilBB on Thu 12 Jul 2018, 9:08 am

mikey_dragon wrote:
PhilBB wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:I don't rate Thornton much so it doesn't make sense from Cardiff's point of view

He's Welsh. And probably better than Ben Murphy and James Down.

Cardiff also have three teams to run next season.

I can't see why it doesn't make sense.

I don't know who Ben Murphy is, but we're not exactly churning out massive lock forwards that's for sure.

I said why, you didn't quote it. Anyway I see you've also signed Samu Manoa which is a damn good signing even though he's a little old; should fit right into the pack I guess....

I didn't need to quote it. If you don't know who Ben Murphy is, I'm not sure how you can make a claim on the value of Thornton to Cardiff.

Manoa is only 33. Spring chicken at Cardiff.
avatar
PhilBB

Posts : 4329
Join date : 2012-10-09

http://www.cardiffrfcfans.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: WRU want to bring players back to Wales - Ospreys announce signing of record-breaking Wales sevens star Luke Morgan

Post by LordDowlais on Mon 16 Jul 2018, 5:05 pm

I know it's not bringing a player home as such, but Ospreys announce signing of record-breaking Wales sevens star Luke Morgan.


LordDowlais

Posts : 12272
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: WRU want to bring players back to Wales - Ospreys announce signing of record-breaking Wales sevens star Luke Morgan

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum