The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WRU want to bring players back to Wales - Cardiff Blues show interest in Josh Adams

+23
geoff999rugby
ScarletSpiderman
marty2086
mikey_dragon
maestegmafia
Cardiff Dave
BamBam
RiscaGame
Luckless Pedestrian
LordDowlais
LondonTiger
21st Century Schizoid Man
SecretFly
TightHEAD
XR
Welly
Exiledinborders
munkian
George Carlin
formerly known as Sam
TJ
Pot Hale
Scottrf
27 posters

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

WRU want to bring players back to Wales - Cardiff Blues show interest in Josh Adams - Page 2 Empty WRU want to bring players back to Wales - Cardiff Blues show interest in Josh Adams

Post by LordDowlais Mon 30 Oct 2017, 10:40 am

First topic message reminder :

I was reading this story in the Mail on Sunday yesterday, and I thought it would cause a good debate on here, it seems that the WRU want to bring Welsh players back to Wales, and they want to start by bankrolling a deal to bring George North back at the end of the season.

Is this a start where we see more and more players being put into Dragons ?

It was also said that the WRU want to bankroll keeping the more experienced players in Wales as well, with AWJ being mentioned as a lynch pin and an ideal example of how this is done going forward. I for one hope that none of this is pie in the sky, I hope they really do target Welsh players playing abroad and get them back at the regions.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-5027991/WRU-chiefs-set-bankroll-George-North-s-return-Wales.html

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/wru-ready-bankroll-bid-bring-13826967

Also, for those of you who do not like going onto sites:-

• WRU chiefs are ready to bankroll deal to bring George North back to Wales at the end of the season

• George North is out of contract with Northampton and is yet to sign a new deal

• North one of top earners at top level but top brass say they can now afford him

• Chairman Gareth Davies believes the regions can now bankroll North's services

• Davies also pushing proposals to reduce the size of the WRU board from 20 to 10

The Lions winger is out of contract with Northampton, who he joined from the Scarlets in 2013, and is yet to sign a new deal.
North is one of the top earners in the Premiership but chairman Gareth Davies believes the regions can now afford his services.
The new 60-cap selection policy makes it easier for the WRU to retain young players – leaving more National Dual Contract funds for Test stars.

‘George North will always be a target,’ Davies told the Mail on Sunday. ‘Now we’re in a better position to get him back. We want little Jonny to be able to go and see his favourite player in Wales.
‘We’ve succeeded in bringing Jonathan Davies and Leigh Halfpenny back. Is it good for the wider game if all the best players are playing in England? I don’t think so but it’s their right to do so.
‘In the past, we’ve used NDC money to keep youngsters who were tempted to move abroad and try to play for Wales. Now we can use it to bring them back or retain more experienced guys.

‘Someone like Alun-Wyn Jones has got to be a prime target to keep in Wales. He is important for the game, his region and the national team. He’ll be a lynchpin in getting the Ospreys back on track.’
Davies is currently pushing proposals to reduce the size of the WRU board from 20 to 10 – with a separate council for the community game – to replace a system which is ‘140 years old’.
‘Look at what’s happening with the FA; Sports bodies are expected to behave in a certain way,’ he said. ‘We’re a £75million business and we should have a modern-day, streamlined structure.
‘You go to district meetings and they’ve been talking about the same things for 20 years. At some meetings now the community game is hardly discussed. It’s like we’ve got 14 forwards and one back.’

Last edited by LordDowlais on Mon 08 Oct 2018, 4:31 pm; edited 19 times in total

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

WRU want to bring players back to Wales - Cardiff Blues show interest in Josh Adams - Page 2 Empty Re: WRU want to bring players back to Wales - Cardiff Blues show interest in Josh Adams

Post by munkian Thu 23 Nov 2017, 9:04 am

Exiledinborders wrote:Good news for Wales I think re North as they can manage his workload.

I doubt Saints are too worried as he did not seem well suited to the AP. He gets up for big games but tends to be a lazy in ordinary league games. There are no equivalents of Zebre in the AP so teams cannot afford to take their foot of the gas in lower profile games.

Nothing to do with Saints being a fantastically dull team then ? Kick, chase, run back etc
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

WRU want to bring players back to Wales - Cardiff Blues show interest in Josh Adams - Page 2 Empty Re: WRU want to bring players back to Wales - Cardiff Blues show interest in Josh Adams

Post by TightHEAD Thu 23 Nov 2017, 9:48 am

I think North would be a financial risk for whoever takes him on. One concussion away from being forced to call it a day I've heard from a few Saints fans.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 23 Nov 2017, 10:05 am

Do you get all your medical advice from depressed Saints fans HERSH ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 23 Nov 2017, 10:15 am

"Little Jonny"?

Jonathan Davies (Jiffy)?

He won't like that patronising sneering tap on his head by the big chairman of WRU! What despicable behaviour from a man in his position.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Thu 23 Nov 2017, 10:34 am

munkian wrote:Do you get all your medical advice from depressed Saints fans HERSH ?

Only ones who are Doctors.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 23 Nov 2017, 10:43 am

LordDowlais wrote:George North is another to be confirmed coming back then:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/42087947

Where do you all reckon he will end up ?

Scarlets have 1/2p, McNicholl and Steff.
Blues have Rhun Williams, Cuthbert and Tom James

So then it's down to the Ospreys and Dragons, and well the Dragons are the more likely to reach the top teir Euro Comp next season Run
But seriously, the Dragons appear to be looking at being the destination for ex-pats (I think they stated that as their mission for the first 2 years under the new setup), so the dragons/WRU will probably have put their heads together to get the behind the scenes, non-financial, package right to attract the ex-pats.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 23 Nov 2017, 10:46 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:George North is another to be confirmed coming back then:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/42087947

Where do you all reckon he will end up ?

Scarlets have 1/2p, McNicholl and Steff.

So then it's down to the Ospreys and Dragons, and well the Dragons are the more likely to reach the top teir Euro Comp next season Run
But seriously, the Dragons appear to be looking at being the destination for ex-pats (I think they stated that as their mission for the  first 2 years under the new setup), so the dragons/WRU will probably have put their heads together to get the behind the scenes, non-financial, package right to attract the ex-pats.

I'm pretty sure North is worth both of them ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 23 Nov 2017, 10:55 am

I'm not sold on Rhun Williams either.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 23 Nov 2017, 11:55 am

Munkian, he is better than all of the players I listed except for Steff and J Mac, but it is just a case of would you spend silly money to get a player who is only factionally better and only available for a handful of games?
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 23 Nov 2017, 2:01 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Munkian, he is better than all of the players I listed except for Steff and J Mac, but it is just a case of would you spend silly money to get a player who is only factionally better and only available for a handful of games?

Will a percentage of a wage be silly money these days ? What is it ? 60/40 ? So would 40% be silly money ? I reckon 40 or 60 percent would be worth paying, more people would come and watch a team full of internationals I would have thought.

So anyway, that is 4 Welsh players confirmed coming back for next season. Who else would we all like to be confirmed next ? Ross Moriarty ? Tomas Francis ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 23 Nov 2017, 2:04 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:Munkian, he is better than all of the players I listed except for Steff and J Mac, but it is just a case of would you spend silly money to get a player who is only factionally better and only available for a handful of games?

Will a percentage of a wage be silly money these days ? What is it ? 60/40 ? So would 40% be silly money ? I reckon 40 or 60 percent would be worth paying, more people would come and watch a team full of internationals I would have thought.

A team full of internationals?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 23 Nov 2017, 2:05 pm

LordDowlais wrote:

So anyway, that is 4 Welsh players confirmed coming back for next season. Who else would we all like to be confirmed next ? Ross Moriarty ? Tomas Francis ?

I appreciate that but I still don't get it, Lord. Anyway, are they being brought back to play more or to be protected from the rigours of playing more? I think there is a degree of protection and extending the playing lifetime of these players that are considered necessary gold-dust for Gatland one more attempt at the WC.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 23 Nov 2017, 2:06 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:A team full of internationals?

Is that a question or a contradiction ?

Yes I mean a team full of internationals, not every single player, but you do get the gist of what I mean don't you ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 23 Nov 2017, 2:10 pm

SecretFly wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

I appreciate that but I still don't get it, Lord.  Anyway, are they being brought back to play more or to be protected from the rigours of playing more?  I think there is a degree of protection and extending the playing lifetime of these players that are considered necessary gold-dust for Gatland one more attempt at the WC.

Well SF, I would think it is a little bit from column a, and a little bit from column b.

With the players back in Wales, team Wales will have better access to them, and they can be managed better, and not flogged to death.

At the same time, they could help raise the profile of the regions, attract more fans, and make the regions more competitive, and then all of a sudden rugby is cool again in Wales.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 23 Nov 2017, 2:16 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
Luckless Pedestrian wrote:A team full of internationals?

Is that a question or a contradiction ?

Yes I mean a team full of internationals, not every single player, but you do get the gist of what I mean don't you ?

My point is that the regions can't afford a team full of internationals, and they're without their Test players (and especially their NDC players) for large chunks of the season. Even saying 'a team half-full of internationals' is optimistic.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 23 Nov 2017, 3:41 pm

According to a local media outlet that you all hate, Ross Moriarty will be playing for Dragons next season, and it will not be on a dual contract. Although if the WRU own Dragons now, how does this type of thing work. Anyway, if you want to peruse for yourself, there are video interviews on this as well, so I will post the link, just remember you do not have to click on it:-

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/warren-gatland-makes-intriguing-revelation-13943659

Warren Gatland makes intriguing revelation about Ross Moriarty's impending Dragons move and denies WRU influence

Moriarty is set to be the first major signing at the Dragons, and it won't be on a National
Dual Contract

Warren Gatland has revealed further details about Ross Moriarty's impending return to Welsh rugby, insisting there has been no influence from the Welsh Rugby Union on where he goes.

It is understood that the Wales back-rower is set to join the WRU-owned Dragons once his current contract with Gloucester expires at the end of the season.

Under the terms of the new WRU senior players selection policy, Moriarty will be ineligible to play for Wales if he didn't take up an offer with one of the Welsh regions.

He has been linked with the Scarlets and Cardiff Blues on a national dual contract, but it appears that the Lions tourist will be taking up a purely regional contract with the Men of Gwent.

Speaking on the subject of NDCs at today's press conference to discuss the Wales team to face the All Blacks, Gatland said: "With Ross Moriarty, I haven’t spoken to him.

"I can guarantee you there has been no influence from the Union.

"We made him an offer of a national dual contract that we felt was a reasonable figure, someone else has come in prepared to pay more money from their personal point of view.

"All the regions are on a salary cap, they can't go over that salary cap, there has been no influence from the union in terms of a decision."

The WRU confirmed yesterday that George North is heading back to Wales from Northampton Saints and Gatland has urged the winger to take his time before making a decision about which of the four regions to join.

"Where he goes is down to him," said Gatland.

"Having spoken to George there was no pressure on him to make a decision now; it was a case of take a bit of time, see what happens.

"One of our regions doesn’t have a coach appointed for next season, maybe wait to see who their appointment is and see what is happening with the other regions before he makes a decision on where he would like to go and potentially if that region wants him to go there.

"George coming back is huge.

"We have seen the benefit of Jonathan Davies coming back from France with his form and George made a decision, which was not a financial one.

"He felt that coming back (to Wales) and looking at the next four or five years was the best for his rugby.

"The big thing is that a lot of top players recognise with the NDCs the benefit in limiting the number of games they play for their clubs; the eight weeks break in the summer and being managed from a national point of view, looking to extend the length of players’ careers and potentially finding them something at the end of their careers."

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 23 Nov 2017, 3:49 pm

LordDowlais wrote:According to a local media outlet that you all hate, Ross Moriarty will be playing for Dragons next season, and it will not be on a dual contract. Although if the WRU own Dragons now, how does this type of thing work.

The WRU owns the Dragons, but the salary cap remains the same for them as it is for the other three. It has to be the same, or the other three will sue.

The amount of money the WRU gives (or pays) the Dragons is that same as it is for the other three. It has to be the same, or the other three will sue.

The Dragons have other shareholders besides the WRU. There's nothing stopping those other shareholders putting their hand in their pocket, as long as the salary cap isn't breached.

That's my understanding of it, anyway!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Exiledinborders Thu 23 Nov 2017, 4:06 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

I appreciate that but I still don't get it, Lord.  Anyway, are they being brought back to play more or to be protected from the rigours of playing more?  I think there is a degree of protection and extending the playing lifetime of these players that are considered necessary gold-dust for Gatland one more attempt at the WC.

Well SF, I would think it is a little bit from column a, and a little bit from column b.

With the players back in Wales, team Wales will have better access to them, and they can be managed better, and not flogged to death.

At the same time, they could help raise the profile of the regions, attract more fans, and make the regions more competitive, and then all of a sudden rugby is cool again in Wales.
The trouble with that argument is that:
- the internationals are unavailable on international duty for parts of the season
- "not being flogged to death" presumably means they will quite often not play at other times too
- they need big salaries to attract them
So there is a need for extra players to fill the gaps and less money to pay them.

Exiledinborders

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu 23 Nov 2017, 4:11 pm

LordDowlais wrote:

Speaking on the subject of NDCs at today's press conference to discuss the Wales team to face the All Blacks, Gatland said: "With Ross Moriarty, I haven’t spoken to him.

"I can guarantee you there has been no influence from the Union.

"We made him an offer of a national dual contract that we felt was a reasonable figure, someone else has come in prepared to pay more money from their personal point of view.

"All the regions are on a salary cap, they can't go over that salary cap, there has been no influence from the union in terms of a decision."

Secret Santa?

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 23 Nov 2017, 6:11 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:

Oh wow what a back 3....

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 23 Nov 2017, 9:17 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

It’s pretty much a team full of internationals now.  There’s 6 welsh capped front row lads (and one SA capped), one welsh capped lock, one welsh capped, one olympic medalist and the Scottish captain in the back row.  Two welsh international scrum halves, a welsh capped fly half, soon to be three welsh capped centres, and a further two welsh internationals in the back three.

So realistically we are only short a couple of capped locks, fly half replacement and wing from being able to put out an international 23.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 24 Nov 2017, 10:09 am

No one likes a show off, SS. Wink

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Fri 24 Nov 2017, 10:33 am

mikey_dragon wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:

Oh wow what a back 3....

Pretty sure 2 of 3 scored when we gave you that 11 point head start earlier in the season? Our diminutive replacement for the injured Williams also scored, I think? Smile

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 24 Nov 2017, 10:48 am

gcBlues wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:

Oh wow what a back 3....

Pretty sure 2 of 3 scored when we gave you that 11 point head start earlier in the season? Our diminutive replacement for the injured Williams also scored, I think? Smile

If the yardstick of a backline is scoring against the Dragons then all ambition really is gone at the CAP
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Fri 24 Nov 2017, 11:30 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

It’s pretty much a team full of internationals now.  There’s 6 welsh capped front row lads (and one SA capped), one welsh capped lock, one welsh capped, one olympic medalist and the Scottish captain in the back row.  Two welsh international scrum halves, a welsh capped fly half, soon to be three welsh capped centres, and a further two welsh internationals in the back three.

So realistically we are only short a couple of capped locks, fly half replacement and wing from being able to put out an international 23.

Should be doing slightly better in the Champions cup then.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 24 Nov 2017, 11:31 am

TightHEAD wrote:Should be doing slightly better in the Champions cup then.

Na. They're Welsh internationals.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 27 Nov 2017, 11:35 am

It's official, another one to come home:-

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/ross-moriarty-signs-dragons-welsh-13957815

Ross Moriarty signs for the Dragons as Welsh region pull off big transfer coup
The two-year deal is not a National Dual Contract

Ross Moriarty has completed a stunning move to the Dragons in a major transfer coup for the Welsh region.

Moriarty has snubbed previous interest from the Scarlets and a big money offer from English champions Exeter Chiefs to join Bernard Jackman's revolution.

The deal is not a National Dual Contract with the Welsh Rugby Union despite the fact the Dragons are now owned by the Union.

Warren Gatland last week revealed the WRU had offered the player a NDC but that "someone else has come in prepared to pay more money from their personal point of view".

The ambition of the Dragons and the signing of Moriarty has surprised many, but coach Jackman and new chairman David Buttress have been vocal in their desire to rip up the established order in Welsh rugby and make the Dragons Wales' strongest regional team.

Buttress, who is the former CEO and co-founder of the hugely successful Just Eat takeaway business, is understood to have been very influential in convincing Moriarty to take the plunge and commit to the Rodney Parade outfit despite the interest from more successful rivals.

Speaking after announcing he'd signed a two-year deal, the 23-year-old Lions star said: "It is with much excitement that I am able to announce the completion of my transfer to the Dragons.

"After meeting with Bernard Jackman, I was excited by the future plans of the club as the region looks to begin a new chapter in its history. Playing international rugby is the pinnacle of every player’s career and with the new rules, it left me with no choice but to move to Wales to further my international ambitions, especially with the Rugby World Cup ahead.

“I would like to thank Gloucester, specifically the players and coaching staff, for their continued support throughout my seven years at the club as well as Hartpury College, who were an integral step on the road to achieving my goals.

"Furthermore, I would like to thank the fans for their continued support. They have made the decision to move to Wales extremely difficult.

“I am now looking forward to finishing the season off strongly and teaming up with Bernard Jackman and the Dragons at the start of next season.”

Moriarty is the first major signing for the Dragons, who are also trying to convince George North to join them when he returns to Wales on an NDC next season.

Last week, Wales coach Gatland had his say on the Moriarty deal, revealing: "I can guarantee you there has been no influence from the Union.

A delighted Dragons boss Jackman today said: "It's a significant signing and a real reinforcement of how players are perceiving this region now. He is the perfect fit for us in terms of the type of player that we are looking to add to our squad in that he is young, ambitious, Welsh and very talented. We are building a team for the long term and to be able to get a player of Ross’s calibre, who is only 23, is an example of that.

“Speaking to Ross it’s clear that we have the same values and philosophies on how the game should be played and I know that he will add to the local talent that’s already here. We are proud of the fact that some more Dragons are now starting to break into the Welsh squad and we will continue to work hard to develop more international players from within and that will be easier when they have the chance to work day in and day out with world-class players like Ross.”

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 27 Nov 2017, 11:52 am

The Dragons are getting more than just the player with this signing. You can't overestimate how huge having Moriarty's signature will be when it comes to encouraging other players to sign.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 27 Nov 2017, 11:58 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:The Dragons are getting more than just the player with this signing. You can't overestimate how huge having Moriarty's signature will be when it comes to encouraging other players to sign.

Yes I agree, I do not think this will be the last signing.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Mon 27 Nov 2017, 1:04 pm

Full name - Ross Moriarty
Date of birth - 18 April 1994 (age 23)
Place of birth - St Helens, Merseyside, England

"Home"

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 27 Nov 2017, 1:09 pm

BamBam wrote:Full name - Ross Moriarty

"Home"

So why weren't he picked then, Bam?  He can't be waiting forever - Samoa were looking to see would he qualify himself for them through marriage.  You can't be waiting around to choose English playahs.

Last edited by SecretFly on Mon 27 Nov 2017, 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 27 Nov 2017, 1:11 pm

BamBam wrote:Full name - Ross Moriarty

"Home"

You seem to have forgotten to copy and paste this bit too...

Moriarty was born in St Helens, Merseyside while his father, former Wales internationalPaul Moriarty, was in the north of England playing rugby league. Moriarty is also the nephew of former Wales international captain Richard Moriarty.

He was educated at Glyncollen Primary School and Morriston Comprehensive School in Swansea, Wales. He took up rugby union at the age of ten playing for Swansea Schools and West WalesSchools. He also played his junior rugby at Gorseinon RFC
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Mon 27 Nov 2017, 1:15 pm

Ah yes

I also forgot this bit

International career[edit]
Moriarty made his international debut with England Under-18 against France at Fylde in February 2012. He went on to score tries against Scotland and Wales in his first four appearances, and helped England to become European champions in Spain.

He started the first two games for England in the 2013 under-20 Six Nations but was unavailable for the final three matches after being red carded in the match against Ireland in Athlone. He played in every match of the 2013 IRB Junior World Championship and scored three tries against the USA in a pool game.

In the 2014 IRB Junior World Championship Moriarty won the tournament with England with impressive performances throughout the whole tournament.[1][2]

I'm not actually that fussed, he's no real loss to us. Just amused by the use of "home"

Good luck to him

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Mon 27 Nov 2017, 2:48 pm

BamBam wrote:Ah yes

I also forgot this bit

International career[edit]
Moriarty made his international debut with England Under-18 against France at Fylde in February 2012. He went on to score tries against Scotland and Wales in his first four appearances, and helped England to become European champions in Spain.

He started the first two games for England in the 2013 under-20 Six Nations but was unavailable for the final three matches after being red carded in the match against Ireland in Athlone. He played in every match of the 2013 IRB Junior World Championship and scored three tries against the USA in a pool game.

In the 2014 IRB Junior World Championship Moriarty won the tournament with England with impressive performances throughout the whole tournament.[1][2]

I'm not actually that fussed, he's no real loss to us. Just amused by the use of "home"

Good luck to him

Top marks for a bloody good comeback.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 27 Nov 2017, 4:55 pm

Dragons are setting their sights on George North as well, and they seem pretty confident. They are also chasing another 12 exiles.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Mon 27 Nov 2017, 5:11 pm

Dragons and Ospreys need all the help they can get at the moment:shock:

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 27 Nov 2017, 5:13 pm

Ospreys seem very confident in signing Scott Williams. Although it's a new coaching outfit that is needed.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 27 Nov 2017, 5:15 pm

George North would be a waste of money. It's front-five players we need.

Also Dowlais, where are you getting this 'they seem pretty confident' from?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 28 Nov 2017, 8:52 am

Dragons set their sights on George North as they focus on exiles in hunt for 12 new players
The Gwent region's coach Bernard Jackman hopes the showpiece signing of Moriarty will lead to a flood of big names heading to Rodney Parade.

Bernard Jackman has turned his attention to George North after bagging Ross Moriarty from Gloucester in a sensational transfer coup for the ambitious Dragons.

Former Ireland and Leinster hooker Jackman hopes the showpiece signing of Moriarty will lead to a flood of big names following the Lions and Wales back-row powerhouse to Rodney Parade.

The Dragons boss wants to bring in 12 new faces for next season and is ready to talk to North, who has signed a contract with the WRU to return home from Aviva Premiership Northampton Saints.

Lions and Wales wing North has to decide on which region he wants to join but he has strong ties in Gwent with his girlfriend, Olympic silver medallist and multi-world champion track cyclist Becky James, hailing from Abergavenny.

Dragons are the latest to register an interest in North with Cardiff Blues having been the first to go public in their pursuit of the 25-year-old.

Jackman said he would discuss the future of the 69-times Wales capped finisher with Dragons’ majority owners the Welsh Rugby Union but admitted: “I would like to speak him.

“I haven’t had any discussions with the union yet but we would definitely be interested in any top-class player like George who wants to come back to Wales.

“We will definitely discuss that over the next month or so and see if it’s something that’s interesting,” he told the South Wales Argus .

“I would like to explain to him what we are doing here – we have definitely turned around our medical care and our strength and conditioning, we are getting some new recruits in and if he wants a challenge, we certainly have an exciting one for him here.”

Jackman, in an interview with Walesonline, said the introduction of the 60-cap rule for Wales selection by the WRU offered opportunities to recruit with Wales scrum-half Rhodri Williams leaving Bristol for the Dragons at the end of the campaign.

“I’ve been targeting exiles, that’s not a secret, and when I speak to them their mindset has changed based on that rule. They want to come back and play in Wales to try and play international rugby,” he went on.

“From my experience in Ireland, that works. Very few Irish players leave and international rugby has a really strong hold on players.

“It’s a really good rule that will potentially benefit us. If it doesn’t benefit us then it will benefit the Ospreys, Scarlets or Cardiff Blues.

“We want the regions being really strong and the best players playing for them so that the fans can come and see some of our homegrown internationals like Elliot Dee and Leon Brown at Rodney Parade.

“If we can attract a couple more from outside then that’s great. I’d like current internationals playing for the Dragons, helping us win and buying into what we do.”

And Jackman insisted his employer the WRU aren't giving the Dragons an unfair advantage over their regional rivals in the transfer market following their summer takeover of the region.

“The WRU can help us be competitive, but what I don’t agree with is that by helping the Dragons that deprives anyone else,” he rapped.

“We should have internal competition and if I was another region I’d be saying ‘great, let’s get better ourselves’ rather than crying about it.

“Why is anyone worried about the Dragons being strong? We want to be strong, let’s not be shy about that.

“Some people don’t want to hear that but we as a region want to be strong so obviously we are trying to get players.”

As to calls for the Dragons to explain how they can afford the likes of Moriarty, he said: “We have a limited amount of money and how we spend it is our own business. We are starting to recruit people and some people don’t like that.”

Gatland said it was North’s decision which region to join once it became clear who wanted his prized signature.

“It is down to him – there was no pressure on George after he made the decision to come back,” he stressed.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/dragons-set-sights-george-north-13960754

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 28 Nov 2017, 9:12 am

A question that occurred to me - if you're on a centralised contract, do you get to decide which club you go to or does the WRU decide?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 28 Nov 2017, 9:31 am

George Carlin wrote:A question that occurred to me - if you're on a centralised contract, do you get to decide which club you go to or does the WRU decide?

Player decides I believe - they can't force you to work somewhere.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Tue 28 Nov 2017, 10:01 am

Why pick Newport then?

The other three are much more appealing to be honest!
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 28 Nov 2017, 10:06 am

When people like Warren Gatland come out and say they have no influence, it's a load of bollox.

The WRU must try and influence where these players go.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 28 Nov 2017, 10:06 am

TightHEAD wrote:Why pick Newport then?

How are Ospreys more appealing ? They are in free fall at the moment.

Hes already played for the Turks...

Blues still don't have a coach lined up for next year and still have possible funding issues.

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Tue 28 Nov 2017, 10:10 am

Cardiffs city life.
Scarlets and Ospreys are based in a beautiful part of the world.

and Newport is, well................at least the M4 is nearby!
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 28 Nov 2017, 10:12 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:George North would be a waste of money. It's front-five players we need.

Can you answer this, Dowlais?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 28 Nov 2017, 10:16 am

TightHEAD wrote:Cardiffs city life.

Because people have to live where they work ?

The Liberty is not a beautiful part of the world...
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 28 Nov 2017, 10:17 am

TightHEAD wrote:Cardiffs city life.

Well there you go then. You don't have to live in Newport to work in Newport.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 28 Nov 2017, 10:19 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:George North would be a waste of money. It's front-five players we need.

Can you answer this, Dowlais?

I posted a whole article for you didn't I. Headscratch

Please, do not go down the same road with me as you do with mikey on here. OK

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 28 Nov 2017, 10:20 am

TightHEAD wrote:Why pick Newport then?

Perhaps in Moriarty's case because the mysterious benefactor is funding a 2 year £1m contract (according to the Times)

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next