WTF

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

WTF

Post by Guest82 on Wed 08 Nov 2017, 9:33 am

Nadal, Thiem, Dimitrov and Goffin

Federer, Zverev, Cilic and Sock

Rafa has to be very pleased with his group. Anyone that drew Thiem was hitting the lottery basically.

Dimitrov and Cilic are closely matched, but Rafa owns Dimitrov, although it is normally close.

Sock has more upside than Goffin, but less consistent. Don't see that Goffin has the weapons to trouble the very best.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Re: WTF

Post by barrystar on Wed 08 Nov 2017, 10:53 am

Federer's draw looks to be the tougher one - but if he's on form he has the beating of all of them.

One other point to make about Goffin is that he is carrying Belgium vs. France in the DC final the week after, so he may have one eye on that.
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry on Thu 09 Nov 2017, 1:04 pm

Hope Rafa manages to last through. This is about the only thing he's not won. But I would make Fed the favourite.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by MrInvisible on Thu 09 Nov 2017, 2:13 pm

Nice to get some new names - hopefully can freshen things up. Conventional wisdom says the semi-finalists will be Nadal v Cilic and Federer v Dimitrov, but you never know. Agree that Goffin will have 1 eye on the Davis Cup, but he does look capable of pushing hard for 2nd place in his group.

Could Sock spring a surprise? It has happened before where a surprise entrant to the tour finals has a good tournament.

All in all, I hope its a better tournament than previous years have been. I had the misfortune last year of paying inflated O2 prices to watch a doubles match that was bit too predictable and (then US Open Champion) Wawrinka playing like a club hacker.

MrInvisible

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 on Thu 09 Nov 2017, 3:14 pm

MrInvisible wrote:Nice to get some new names - hopefully can freshen things up.  Conventional wisdom says the semi-finalists will be Nadal v Cilic and Federer v Dimitrov, but you never know.  Agree that Goffin will have 1 eye on the Davis Cup, but he does look capable of pushing hard for 2nd place in his group.

Could Sock spring a surprise?  It has happened before where a surprise entrant to the tour finals has a good tournament.

All in all, I hope its a better tournament than previous years have been.  I had the misfortune last year of paying inflated O2 prices to watch a doubles match that was bit too predictable and (then US Open Champion) Wawrinka playing like a club hacker.

I watched Stan tank against Nadal after he went a break down one year, his lack of effort was ridiculous. I am going on Thursday this year hoping for a Federer v Zverev match.

I think it's a Zverev V Nadal & Federer v Dimitrov semi finals.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk on Fri 10 Nov 2017, 2:14 pm

This looks a damp squib, such a poor line up this year. That being said Fed and Nadal can only beat whats in front of them. Big question marks over nadals fitness.

I have no real interest in watching it this year, first time I have said that in many years. In fact I have hardly watched a match since the French open. While I have appreciated Federer and Nadal really raising their games this year and taking home the slams the quality this year has been so poor.

Really hoping Djokovic, Wawrinka, Nishikori, Murray and co come back strong next year. The game needs them as the next generation just seem to be lacking.

As for this tournament, it can be so hit and miss. I experienced the tanking a bit myself one year when I saw Murray vs Tsonga. Tsonga was out of it already and was absolutely atrocious. When the draw had come out we had wanted to get Djokovic but he played Murray a couple of days before and djokovic won and we knew we would get the Murray vs Tsonga match. Luck of the draw and all that.

cant see anything other than a Federer win at this. Couldn't really care less who wins

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry on Fri 10 Nov 2017, 4:21 pm

Not sure the line-up at the O2 is all that awful. OK, there's no Djoko or Murray. But Dimi, Thiem and Zverev are all capable of playing attractive tennis.
   Some of the qualifiers in the past have been somewhat lacklustre. Ferrer and Berdych constantly appeared and were usually well beaten. Remember seeing Rafa demolish Ferrer one year, with David hardly winning a game.
   Should Rog garner the sort of big points that most believe he will obtain next week, he'll be well clear at number two and can cherry-pick his tournaments in 2018 as he has this year.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 on Fri 10 Nov 2017, 10:38 pm

@slashermcguirk - you're totally entitled to your opinions (as everyone is). No criticism there !

However - as I'm sure you will acknowledge - comments such as "hardly watched a match since the French Open " and "couldn't really care less who wins" (WTF) tell us  how you currently feel about the sport ; but they don't necessarily tell us anything about the state of professional tennis.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry on Sat 11 Nov 2017, 6:47 pm

Rafa has said on the eve of the event that he's not 100% but hopes to get thru the tournament. If I was the alternate, I would start getting ready now.
   Slasher - Sorry you've not really enjoyed the last season. It has been a bit strange with so many of the top names absent for long periods and the younger players not really making the most of it.
   Let's hope for your sake that 2018 is a terrific year. My prediction is that Djoko will come roaring back.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan on Sun 12 Nov 2017, 4:04 pm

Federer looked thoroughly unconvincing in the win over Sock, but perhaps first outing after Basel, so may be a bit tentative.

@Slasher - Did you watching the NextGen in Milan? The younger guys do have the talent.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry on Sun 12 Nov 2017, 5:26 pm

Fed not at his best today, but the quick court should suit him and he lost very few points on serve. Doubt whether Rafa will like the court, though.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 on Sun 12 Nov 2017, 6:51 pm

It wasn't a bad match and Sock hung in quite well (no pun intended). However there was an air of inevitability about the result. As normal Federer's serve did not allow Sock any real chance of a break. After breaking in the first game of the match he didn't really have to play at top level to win. That said I've watched a lot worse games at the WTF in the last few years.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by MrInvisible on Sun 12 Nov 2017, 10:07 pm

No-one following the Zverev Cilic match? Zverev got off to the better start but Cilic has clawed his way back into the match which has gone into a final set. Only following the score myself but is anyone watching? Is it a decent match?

MrInvisible

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan on Mon 13 Nov 2017, 1:04 am

Cilic lost to Zverev after being a break up in the third set. chin

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan on Mon 13 Nov 2017, 11:20 pm

Guest82 wrote: Don't see that Goffin has the weapons to trouble the very best.

Nadal lost to Goffin. Shocked

Last edited by laverfan on Mon 13 Nov 2017, 11:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 on Mon 13 Nov 2017, 11:21 pm

Some really excellent tennis in the matches so far.

I do enjoy this tournament .... such a good way to end the season, and always so well attended.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill on Tue 14 Nov 2017, 12:04 am

sirfredperry wrote:Rafa has said on the eve of the event that he's not 100% but hopes to get thru the tournament. If I was the alternate, I would start getting ready now.

Good call. Looking at Rafa's quotes after the match, you wonder why he didn't pull out before the tournament and give the alternate a proper chance to qualify by playing 3 matches.

Now a real chance for someone to make a name for himself.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy on Tue 14 Nov 2017, 1:36 am

Kudos to Rafa for playing and giving the crowd a terrific match, despite obviously being far from fit. Kind of sums up the season though - with four of the five active players with multiple slams out injured. Hopefully, someone can at least give Fed a game but I can't see it happening. What odds can I get on him not losing serve all tournament?

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan on Tue 14 Nov 2017, 1:43 am

Nadal Withdraws From The Nitto ATP Finals

Rafael Nadal announced his withdrawal from the Nitto ATP Finals on Monday night after a 7-6(5), 6-7(4), 6-4 loss to David Goffin in his opening round-robin match.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry on Tue 14 Nov 2017, 8:14 am

Well at least Rafa gave his all and made a good match of it. Seem to remember that some years there were hardly any three-setters in the WTF.
   Rafa does seem to have a struggle to maintain fitness for the whole season and at his age his knee(s) are not going to get any better. The autumn time is always going to be difficult for him, it appears.
   Good chance for Fed to close the gap at the top but, even so, Rafa should be top for a good while in 2018.
   Not sure the Belgians are happy to see Goffin having long matches ahead of the DC final, but good on him for really battling.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx on Tue 14 Nov 2017, 8:43 am

If Fed were to win the WTF, and Rafa not play until the AO, it will be interesting to see if Fed plays a pre-AO 250 tourney, just to try get No 1 for a couple of weeks.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar on Tue 14 Nov 2017, 9:26 am

That's a shame, I wanted them to have one final match together this season.  We are left with a somewhat empty feeling because if Federer wins without losing a match (not in the bag yet) they end up only 140 points apart but without fans ever having had the excitement of a tight race (that is not shorthand for saying Nadal doesn't deserve #1, most emphatically he does).

Nadal's career follows a pattern which I have always harped on about - look at 2009, 2012, 2014, and 2017; each year he has had a run to the final of the Aus Open his knees (usually) have paid for it at some later stage in the season.  The slight oddity was 2009, where the downturn came immediately after Roland Garros.  That said, it may be that he has got better at protecting himself over a long season.  He has fared much better longer into the season in 2017 than he did in either 2012 or 2014 when he had no tournament wins or even victories over a #10 player after Roland Garros and dropped out of a heap of tournaments.

The tendency is to make predictions about the next season based in large part on that which passed; 2016-2017 has shown how dodgy that can be, and such an approach between 2017-2018 looks just as risky with 3 multiple slam winners coming back, Nadal's dodgy knees making a comeback and Fed in his 36th year.
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 on Tue 14 Nov 2017, 9:30 am

Yes, pity to have the World Number 1 pull out - although perhaps not too much of a surprise. The reality is we're unlikely to ever see Rafa play a full season during whatever time remains of his career.

Sasha Zverev looks sharp & determined. He has every chance of upsetting Federer tonight and won't in any way be intimidated, having already chalked up two wins over him (the most recent being on a very big stage, the Rogers Cup Final).

Dimitrov also playing well.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan on Tue 14 Nov 2017, 11:39 am

lags72 wrote:Sasha Zverev looks sharp & determined. He has every chance of upsetting Federer tonight and won't in any way be intimidated, having already chalked up two wins over him (the most recent being on a very big stage, the Rogers Cup Final).

If Federer's back holds up, he can win tonight. Rogers Cup second set was meh, with Federer just going through the motions.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 on Tue 14 Nov 2017, 12:26 pm

laverfan wrote:

If Federer's back holds up, he can win tonight. Rogers Cup second set was meh, with Federer just going through the motions.

Yes he can - especially on this court.

But there are other dangers here in London. Thiem or Cilic can upset the Fed. We know this - simply because they have both previously done so of course. They could even be considered more dangerous than the now-withdrawn Rafa.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by MrInvisible on Tue 14 Nov 2017, 1:58 pm

Always a shame to see a player pull out of this tournament - I presume Carreno Busta now plays as the alternate.  Dimitrov now has a v good chance not only of qualifying for semi-finals but of finishing top of group and therefore avoiding either Federer or Zverev (who'll be the form player if he manages to beat Federer tonight).

Someone mentioned this was going to be a 'damp squib' tournament but so far its a more enjoyable evenly matched tournament than we've had for several years at ATP World Tour Finals.  Just gutted I went to last year's non-event (I want a ticket refund from Wawrinka!) and skipped this year instead. Dimitrov's emotional reaction after he won his match vs Thiem was refreshing to see.

A final point - whilst I agreed with some of Federer's riposte the other day (along the lines of it being equally unfair that there are no Masters events on grass), I do have some sympathy for Nadal with this tournament and his comments about the surface being unfair.  Given that the idea of the tournament is to test the top players against each other, surely it would be fair to look at alternating the surfaces and venues once in a while - e.g. how about an outdoor clay tournament for the finals once in a while in Latin America, or an outdoor grass or hardcourt world finals tournament in Australia?

MrInvisible

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 on Tue 14 Nov 2017, 3:08 pm

@ MrInvisible - some fair points re surface and location.

Although it should not (in itself) be the determining factor, I seem to think that the home base of the players has come into the mix over recent years when assessing potential WTF venue options. This year, for example, all but Jack Sock are European. And, at this time of year, Europe means indoors.

Some might wonder whether Rafa would be more 'fit' to compete at WTF in November if it were played on clay .......

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry on Tue 14 Nov 2017, 3:22 pm

Difficult to argue with London as a WTF venue. Big crowds and a short hop from Paris in terms of surface and distance.
   Doubt whether the players would - after a long season - fancy a tiring trip to, say, the Far East or Down Under.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 on Tue 14 Nov 2017, 4:52 pm

Well done Sock.

The boy played good clap

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry on Tue 14 Nov 2017, 5:17 pm

Sock keeps himself in it. Once again Clic has chucked away a winning position. Does he get more anxious than other players? At least crowds are getting their money's worth this year. Some really long, hard-fought three-setters.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 on Tue 14 Nov 2017, 5:37 pm

sirfredperry wrote:

At least crowds are getting their money's worth this year. Some really long, hard-fought three-setters.

Very much so OK

I've seen many, many MS 1000 tournies (and early-round Slams too, for that matter) with far less quality and interest.

All combatants seem fired-up here. Even Rafa didn't go out meekly v Goffin (and I think that's noteworthy because he said he had already made up his mind during the match itself that he would later withdraw)

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar on Tue 14 Nov 2017, 7:02 pm

MrInvisible wrote:
A final point - whilst I agreed with some of Federer's riposte the other day (along the lines of it being equally unfair that there are no Masters events on grass), I do have some sympathy for Nadal with this tournament and his comments about the surface being unfair.  Given that the idea of the tournament is to test the top players against each other, surely it would be fair to look at alternating the surfaces and venues once in a while - e.g. how about an outdoor clay tournament for the finals once in a while in Latin America, or an outdoor grass or hardcourt world finals tournament in Australia?

I did not hear Nadal, but the way the question was put, the suggestion of it being fair to play on clay emanated from the questioner, not from Nadal.

Q. Rafa said here the other day one of the reasons he thinks why he's never won this title is because it's never been played on clay. Do you think it would be fair if maybe just one year this tournament was played on clay?

I don't think Federer's reply was really a riposte, he accepted that Nadal's point as put to him was a fair one, but raised the question that if you are going to change things based on some notion of fairness where do you start and where to you end, and that fairness could be argued tug in all sorts of different directions.  His main two points in support of the status quo were that indoor tennis merits representation on the calendar with more than one big tournament and that it's not really the time of the season for clay - indoor clay being a 'bit silly' (but of course that doesn't stop some Davis Cup teams setting up for indoor clay...).

In the 47-year history of the Tournament it's never been on clay. It was on carpet or more latterly hard (nearly always indoors) except only for 1974 when it was held in Melbourne on grass.  It has been in the US, Europe, Australia, and the Far East.  Oddly enough, according to Wikipedia the 1974 finals were between 10-15 December 1974 in Melbourne, and the 1975 Australian Open followed smartly between 21 December 1974 to 1 January 1975 (with rather a feeble 64-man draw).  Perhaps unsurprisingly the only man who played in both tournaments was the Australian John Newcombe.

The ATP can have a re-think when London's contract is up in 2020, but I reckon they'll go for a big indoor arena in a big population centre, or one that can be easily travelled to - London has been a huge commercial and spectator success and they'll not want to kiss that good-bye.  Otherwise, I'd say that South America has long merited a really big tournament - but the finances and logistics probably don't work as well.
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan on Tue 14 Nov 2017, 9:10 pm

Federer wins first set in TB, which both played poorly. Just a slew of errors from Zverev at the end.

And Zverev loses a very poor game in second set. Federer can capitalize and finish it in two.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 on Tue 14 Nov 2017, 10:01 pm

Federer in trouble.

I always sensed that Zverev would pose a big threat and he's doing exactly that.

I was going to say it's 50/50 in this decider - but in truth the momentum is with Zverev. Especially if Fed continues to miss so many first serves......

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan on Tue 14 Nov 2017, 10:09 pm

Federer up a break in third.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan on Tue 14 Nov 2017, 10:28 pm

Federer wins the third set 6-1. Zverev played a bad third set. Federer through to SF.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 on Tue 14 Nov 2017, 10:39 pm

The old guy just had too much for the young 'un in the end, and caused him to tire mentally.

But Sasha can qualify by beating Sock in their Thursday shoot-out ; which means he could still win the whole thing. And, whatever happens here, Sasha has all the qualities to make it to the top in the years ahead.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan on Tue 14 Nov 2017, 10:47 pm

It has happened before that Federer has beaten the same player more than once to win WTF - Hewitt, Agassi and Tsonga, IIRC.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan on Wed 15 Nov 2017, 1:43 am

lags72 wrote: And, whatever happens here, Sasha has all the qualities to make it to the top in the years ahead.

He needs to address this to become a better player.

“I think he played a very good game to break me. Then I lost a little bit concentration after that,” Zverev said.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry on Wed 15 Nov 2017, 8:31 am

Not surprised that Fed had a tough battle. I thought Zverev might cause him a few probs. Who knows? They could now meet in the final on Sunday.
   Wonder if we're going to get more three-set thrillers today. It's certainly been a good tournament so far.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 on Wed 15 Nov 2017, 10:45 am

@sfp - yes, every possibility that we will see a Federer versus Zverev Final. Old guard versus the New.
And if so, I don't think it would be an easy result to call. Could be a big chance for Zverev to make a statement.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry on Wed 15 Nov 2017, 11:21 am

Seen some highlights of the Fed-Zver match. The young man held his own for long periods. Some UEs at key moments - plus possible tiredness at the end - did for him.
   With two victories over Fed already, Zverev is one of the new generation not scarred by constant defeats at the hands of Fed. Apart from the other three of the big four and plus, perhaps, Berdych and delpo, no one has been able to cause Rog too many problems over the years.
   Some of the head-to-heads with Fed make particular grisly reading (think merely of David Ferrer's). So Zverev's two wins, with perhaps power to add over the next couple of years, is already one of the better h-to-hs.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan on Wed 15 Nov 2017, 4:57 pm

sirfredperry wrote:Apart from the other three of the big four and plus, perhaps, Berdych and delpo, no one has been able to cause Rog too many problems over the years

You forgot Davydenko, Nalbandian. Wink

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry on Wed 15 Nov 2017, 5:50 pm

laverfan wrote:
sirfredperry wrote:Apart from the other three of the big four and plus, perhaps, Berdych and delpo, no one has been able to cause Rog too many problems over the years

You forgot Davydenko, Nalbandian. Wink
Too right. Also, Henman and Hewitt had, at one time, winning records over Fed, although he made them pay later.

Spoke too soon about the competitive nature of this year's WTF, with Dimi wiping the floor this afternoon with Goffin. Wonder if Belgium's DC captain has had a word with G and asked him to go easy ahead of the DC final? More likely the Belgian worn out after monumental struggle with Rafa.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 on Wed 15 Nov 2017, 8:08 pm

Felt bad for Goffin. We know he can perform far, far better than that (as he did just a couple of days ago !). Just one of those matches when it all clicked for Grigor - and all went horribly wrong for David.

Re the discussion of players who have caused problems for Federer over the years : the names mentioned have indeed had some success, to varying degrees, in their respective contests. But ..... fair to say also that no major damage was done to his overall legacy by them, whether individually or collectively (I believe the only loss that still niggles Fed - simply because he has always felt that he himself let it slip from his grasp - was USO '09 at hands of JMDP.

For those named* the combined h2h is :

Federer : 92
'Others' : 37

* includes :

- Del Potro
- Berdych
- Hewitt
- Nalbandian
- Davydenko
- Henman

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan on Thu 16 Nov 2017, 2:20 am

The scheduling for tomorrow seems to be interesting. Federer v Cilic first, Zverev v Sock second. Sock is beginning to remind me of Roddick with his FH. The SF contests promise to be interesting, depending on who tops the groups.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan on Thu 16 Nov 2017, 4:12 pm

Federer beats Cilic in three.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry on Thu 16 Nov 2017, 4:38 pm

The first set was as good as it got for Cilic as Fed drops only five games in the last two sets.
   At the very worst he's only going to have five defeats this season and I think he had  an MP in one of those losses. Of course, he's not met either Djoko or Murray this year. But he's certainly proved too good for everyone else in the top 10.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 on Thu 16 Nov 2017, 5:19 pm

I was able to watch, and thought Cilic played extremely well up to the ninth game of the second when he was broken. That was the turning point - after which Federer's ratio of winners to errors improved, coupled with a significant drop-off in Cilic's level.

Federer's BP conversion (as so often in his advanced years) was again fairly poor and could yet cost him in the SF - or Final if he makes it.

@sfp - re Federer not having met Djokovic & Murray .... true. But, given their respective form in their abridged seasons, I'm not convinced either of them would have had enough to beat Federer anyway during what has been a stellar 2017 for the man from Basel (an exception might have been if Fed & Murray had met at RG - where Andy put on an impressive showing before bowing out in 5 versus Stan).

Crunch match later tonight.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan on Thu 16 Nov 2017, 10:07 pm

Interesting that Sock beat Zverev. Well played to both.

Finals prediction is Federer v Dimitrov.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum