The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Beauden Barrett wins world player of the year award!!

+23
emack2
aucklandlaurie
dummy_half
George Carlin
R!skysports
Rugby Fan
Taylorman
lostinwales
reallybored
Sgt_Pooly
BamBam
Gwlad
LordDowlais
marty2086
Cyril
mikey_dragon
No 7&1/2
Sin é
MichaelT
beshocked
SecretFly
Scottrf
Collapse2005
27 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Beauden Barrett wins world player of the year award!! - Page 2 Empty Beauden Barrett wins world player of the year award!!

Post by Collapse2005 Tue 14 Nov 2017, 11:33 am

First topic message reminder :

https://www.worldrugby.org/news/293375

Shortlist:
BEAUDEN BARRETT (NEW ZEALAND)
The 26-year-old could become only the second player to win the prestigious accolade two years in a row after another impressive season in the All Blacks No.10 jersey. He celebrated his 50th test against Samoa with a two-try, 24-point haul and a piece of All Blacks history alongside his brothers, and finished the Lions series as top point scorer with 41. The attack-minded fly-half, who is equally at home at full-back, continued to torment defences with his instinctive play and captained the All Blacks for the first time in the non-capped victory over the Barbarians earlier this month.

OWEN FARRELL (ENGLAND AND LIONS)
Another player nominated for the second year running and third time in total, Farrell continued to pull the strings for England and the Lions at inside centre in 2017. He started all five tests in England’s victorious Six Nations campaign, reaching 50 caps for his country against Italy in February and breaking through 600 test points in the final round loss to Ireland. The 26-year-old also started the three tests on the Lions tour of New Zealand, the first of them at fly-half, and contributed 31 points in the drawn series.

ISRAEL FOLAU (AUSTRALIA)
The oldest of the nominees at 28, Folau has been back to his scintillating best in 2017. The full-back came into the year without a try in his previous 11 tests, but rediscovered his scoring touch to set a new Australian record for tries in a calendar year with 12 in his 10 tests, failing to cross the line in only two matches. The first Wallaby to score doubles in three consecutive tests back in June, he was joint top try-scorer in the Rugby Championship and will be missed on their end of year tour after electing to take a break after a long season.

RIEKO IOANE (NEW ZEALAND)
Ioane, the youngest of the nominees at only 20, is also nominated for the World Rugby Breakthrough Player of the Year award having made the All Blacks starting left-wing spot his own following a two-try haul in his first test start against the British and Irish Lions in June. He then shared the top try-scoring honour in the Rugby Championship after topping the charts for defenders beaten, clean breaks and metres made, and arrives in Europe with a record of eight tries in as nine starts this year.

MARO ITOJE (ENGLAND AND LIONS)
The Breakthrough Player of the Year in 2016, Itoje is nominated for this prestigious award for the second year running after continuing his impressive form in 2017. Deployed at blindside flanker, rather than second-row, throughout England’s victorious Six Nations campaign, his performances ensured his place on the British and Irish Lions tour to New Zealand. He came off the bench in the first test and earned a starting spot in the second-row for the remaining tests.

Winner: Barrett

Last edited by Collapse2005 on Mon 27 Nov 2017, 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Beauden Barrett wins world player of the year award!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Beauden Barrett wins world player of the year award!!

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 16 Nov 2017, 5:29 pm

Yeah that's probably about right Pooly. Thought Reiko was the flanker at first, but he's the winger! He was certainly a standout player.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Beauden Barrett wins world player of the year award!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Beauden Barrett wins world player of the year award!!

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu 16 Nov 2017, 5:31 pm

Reiko has been amazing to be fair, to keep Savea out of the team he's had to be. Any of those 3 would be worthy winner in my opinion, but not a classic year.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Thu 16 Nov 2017, 8:50 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:I know it's been done to death, as much as I rate Farrell (pretty highly) I don't think he's ever done anything to put himself on this shortlist once, let alone three times.

No, his dad put him on it.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 16 Nov 2017, 9:12 pm

Gwlad wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:I know it's been done to death, as much as I rate Farrell (pretty highly) I don't think he's ever done anything to put himself on this shortlist once, let alone three times.

No, his dad put him on it.

True his dad sends World Rugby in this picture every year, "This is my Son, in whom I am well pleased":

Beauden Barrett wins world player of the year award!! - Page 2 Richie-mccaw-TV3-web1

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by reallybored Thu 16 Nov 2017, 9:21 pm

Assuming this is a troll.

Farrell deserves it imo.

England Grand Slam, European Cup & integral to the Lions Series.

Plus, he was playing out of position for most of it. Class player.

reallybored

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Thu 16 Nov 2017, 11:48 pm

SecretFly wrote:You must have forgotten to put in your vote this year, Cyril, as he's always on your mind Wink
I tried to vote for him, but apparently he's on I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out of Here so can't hold both honours in one year. Damn Wink

Something similar happened to Gav Henson (and Bob Dylan).

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 17 Nov 2017, 12:36 am

reallybored wrote:

What a narrow-minded view that someone is a troll because they don't agree with you. Are you liberal by any chance? If you aren't highly embarrassed every time you look in the mirror, you should be.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 17 Nov 2017, 3:51 am

Not sure why Beauden Barrett is on the shortlist

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri 17 Nov 2017, 12:23 pm

reallybored wrote:

Farrell deserves it imo.

England Grand Slam, European Cup & integral to the Lions Series.

Plus, he was playing out of position for most of it.  Class player.

Grand slam was the year before. Farrell is another marmite player but he is building up a very impressive CV.

As for Micky D- He actually has his own opinions which I would have thought has some value on this site. We do not have to agree with each other. He does get angry (frequently Smile ), but that isn't trolling.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 18 Nov 2017, 1:46 am

ebop wrote:Not sure why Beauden Barrett is on the shortlist

Yeah agree, he's been up and down this year and had a poor innings at 10 vs the Lions, 15 in the first test his best effort. Not a stellar year for 'best players' but wouldnt want to see Farrell win it.

Solid and steady is no way to choose the best player in this game and his stats as a playmaker at 10 are abysmal when compared to the opportunities created by 10's that actually try and make things happen. A good 10 just has to do more than what Farrell brings behind a solid pack.

For consistency I think Folau and Reiko had very good years and I can see Folau taking this one, though I'm going with Itoje to win it. Had a good Six N and made a lot of impact in the crucial period at the end of the Lions tour though marks off for screaming out at lineout time...whats that about?.

Itoje, Folau then Reiko for me...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sat 18 Nov 2017, 2:05 am

Taylorman wrote:...his stats as a playmaker at 10 are abysmal when compared to the opportunities created by 10's that actually try and make things happen...
That's true but, for the purpose of this award, it's not relevant. Aside from the first Lions Test, in all the matches during the the period covered by this award, Farrell played inside centre. He's not being assessed by his peers for his contribution as a fly half.

Doesn't mean he should win it but he wouldn't be an unworthy winner given the short list.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sat 18 Nov 2017, 4:06 am

More treachery

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 18 Nov 2017, 4:22 am

Gwlad wrote:

More treachery
Not at all

He’s had an underwhelming year

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sat 18 Nov 2017, 4:27 am

True, his inability to kick and SBW cheating/tendency for assaulting players did cost you a Lions tour.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 18 Nov 2017, 7:30 pm

Gwlad wrote:True, his inability to kick and SBW cheating/tendency for assaulting players did cost you a Lions tour.

Possibly, but they combined to just put Scotland away. Assault? You need to harden up boyo...this isnt tiddly winks.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sat 18 Nov 2017, 9:04 pm

Taylorman wrote:
Gwlad wrote:True, his inability to kick and SBW cheating/tendency for assaulting players did cost you a Lions tour.

Possibly, but they combined to just put Scotland away. Assault? You need to harden up boyo...this isnt tiddly winks.

not for the want of more cheating and killing the game, a skill at which NZ used to be expert but not so much these days

and you lot evidently don't even bother reading the rules which indicates a fairly low level of intelligence when playing a rule based game laughing

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sat 18 Nov 2017, 9:13 pm

ebop wrote:
Gwlad wrote:

More treachery
Not at all

its a good job Barrett isn't as fickle and disloyal as the fans or you'd be choking on haggis. A pleasant thought.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 19 Nov 2017, 3:34 am

Gwlad wrote:
Taylorman wrote:

not for the want of more cheating and killing the game, a skill at which NZ used to be expert but not so much these days

and you lot evidently don't even bother reading the rules which indicates a fairly low level of intelligence when playing a rule based game laughing

Interesting. Youre suggesting other sides show more intelligence in this game than NZ? Is that why you pay excessive salaries to get our players and coaches over there to show you how to play it?

And youre even laughing at your own joke. Agree thats funny, but not the way youd probably like to think. thumbsup

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sun 19 Nov 2017, 5:39 am

Trust me I'm laughing at NZ. Whining about consistency in refereeing while professionally killing the game i.e. cheating. But ever so slowly NZ are being undone by referees holding them to the same laws the rest of us have to follow and Sulky Shag doesn't like it. What an embarrassment he is to sportsmanship.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 19 Nov 2017, 6:50 am

Gwlad wrote:Trust me I'm laughing at NZ. Whining about consistency in refereeing while professionally killing the game i.e. cheating. But ever so slowly NZ are being undone by referees holding them to the same laws the rest of us have to follow and Sulky Shag doesn't like it. What an embarrassment he is to sportsmanship.

Ok, you go with that and reconcile that with  your own love fest with Gatland then...while it lasts. kiss

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 19 Nov 2017, 7:13 am

Rugby Fan wrote:
Taylorman wrote:...his stats as a playmaker at 10 are abysmal when compared to the opportunities created by 10's that actually try and make things happen...
That's true but, for the purpose of this award, it's not relevant. Aside from the first Lions Test, in all the matches during the the period covered by this award, Farrell played inside centre. He's not being assessed by his peers for his contribution as a fly half.

Doesn't mean he should win it but he wouldn't be an unworthy winner given the short list.

Good to see both NZs entrants at their best today, Reiko beating at least three just about every time he got the ball and setting up the Taylor try, and Barrett scoring the try and bowling Hogg out hard enough to force the spill forward. Itoje and Farrell seemed to come through well also.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Sun 19 Nov 2017, 8:56 am

Not sure why Hogg 8s not o the list either. Player of the 6 nations and one of the best full backs around.

Ah well

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sun 19 Nov 2017, 9:23 am

Not sure about Reiko beating 3 players each time but he certainly put in a Poopie, cracking player.

Agree on Hogg, he's been fantastic. He was outstanding yesterday.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 19 Nov 2017, 10:06 am

R!skysports wrote:Not sure why Hogg 8s not o  the list either. Player of the 6 nations and one of the best full backs around.

Ah well

Didnt feature in enough matches for injury so wouldnt have gained the points without the Lions series. Retallick for the same reason would be there if not for his unfortunate situation, easily the best AB before he stopped playing. All the others played through.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 19 Nov 2017, 10:30 am

Very strange.

They've managed to completely misspell Stuart Hogg's name - some jobsworth has written "Israel Folau" by accident.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 19 Nov 2017, 7:10 pm

George Carlin wrote:Very strange.

They've managed to completely misspell Stuart Hogg's name - some jobsworth has written "Israel Folau" by accident.

Oh? Hoggs odds just went up then

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sun 19 Nov 2017, 8:27 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Not sure about Reiko beating 3 players each time but he certainly put in a Poopie, cracking player.

Classic word substitution. I just worked out that you meant to say 'shift'

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Tue 21 Nov 2017, 2:31 pm

lostinwales wrote:
Sgt_Pooly wrote:Not sure about Reiko beating 3 players each time but he certainly put in a Poopie, cracking player.

REALLY ??? laughing

Have to say Reiko looks one hell of a player though

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 26 Nov 2017, 9:58 pm

Well, well, well... Barrett wins it for a second time, against the run of play.

He certainly had some poor outings but if its based on the best of what individuals did in rugby this year, then he deserves it. Barrett is one of those rare players that does things on many occasions that no ther players do.

Even the running down of Hogg was special, taking him out from behind in a way that killed the dream in a heartbeat.

Id rather the best be recognised for being the best at what he does despite some flaws rather than someone who does the basics consistently well.

Reiko easily the breakthrough player, ended the year as probably the best wing in the game.

Jones coach of the year and Black ferns team of the year...

Who says the south is fading? thumbsup

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 26 Nov 2017, 10:03 pm

Taylorman wrote:

You're bit of it ain't anyway, Taylor. The other bits.............. hmmmm.
Jury is out still. Next year will tell us more. I suspect the other two (or three) will surprise us all again with some Phoenix recoveries of form!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon 27 Nov 2017, 12:47 am

SecretFly wrote:
Taylorman wrote:

You're bit of it ain't anyway, Taylor.  The other bits.............. hmmmm.  
Jury is out still.  Next year will tell us more.  I suspect the other two (or three) will surprise us all again with some Phoenix recoveries of form!

Yes I think we got a lot of depth out of this year for the losses it cost the AB's. Oz need a new coach, simple as that, though I don't think that's going to make things easier. SA are all over the place and are redefining what being a Springbok means to the modern player.

I think over time we are going to see the Pac. Island players choosing their Islands as first choice at World cup time as we have seen in the League- Tonga for example.

Samoa for example would easily be able to field a side capable of winning it if they were able to withdraw from their current sides. Once there's a large number of contracts I think theyll start trying to lift their own country's profiles.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 27 Nov 2017, 3:58 am

lostinwales wrote:

Haha...just noticed that, nice touch.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 27 Nov 2017, 8:29 am

Worth noting that joy neville picks up ref of the year as well. Breakthrough for her this year.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Mon 27 Nov 2017, 3:57 pm

Congratulations to the World Champions taking out the World Rugby team of the year, a year of complete skill, class and pace.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Mon 27 Nov 2017, 9:08 pm

ebop wrote:
Gwlad wrote:

More treachery
Not at all

perfectly illustrates just how little you know about even your own rugby team Laugh Laugh

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Mon 27 Nov 2017, 10:46 pm

Tom English suggested that Andy Farrell should have been in consideration for coach of the year. Don't agree with that but you do wonder whether any assistant coach can really ever be named, given how difficult it is to understand what contribution they make.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Tue 28 Nov 2017, 11:16 pm

Congratulations ebop you'e won World Rugby's Most out of touch with their own Team award 2017. Doh

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 02 Dec 2017, 9:02 pm

Gwlad wrote:Congratulations ebop you'e won World Rugby's Most out of touch with their own Team award 2017. Doh

Why is that? NZers dont pick this award so how are we out of touch? The majority of NZers would have gone for Retallick, which they did in a survey recently.

But because he played less probably didnt meet the criteria. But its good to know you have complete trust in those selecting the award. Ive my doubts about this years but put that down to a year when no one stood out.

In fact if you want to see the best performance of the year watch Sam Canes against your own countrymen in a rare defensive masterclass. Im sure the Welsh recovery pool session was extended a little due to Sams efforts. thumbsup

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 02 Dec 2017, 9:17 pm

Indeed Tman. Good on Beauden for going back to back. The man himself said he was ‘surprised’ to win it this year. We know, he knows, he can play better and more consistently than he did this year. So that’s a good thing.

Average Herald player ratings for 2017 (min four ratings)

Brodie Retallick 7.9
Liam Squire 7.6
Rieko Ioane 7.5
Beauden Barrett 7.3
Kieran Read 7.3

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11948601

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 02 Dec 2017, 11:40 pm

ebop wrote:Indeed Tman. Good on Beauden for going back to back. The man himself said he was ‘surprised’ to win it this year. We know, he knows, he can play better and more consistently than he did this year. So that’s a good thing.

Brodie Retallick 7.9
Liam Squire 7.6
Rieko Ioane 7.5
Beauden Barrett 7.3
Kieran Read 7.3

Surprised Squires higher than Ioane but hes really improved this year. Good signs for 6 wit Fifita if Kaino doesnt push on to 19. Wonder if Gwlad would rate Barrett higher than Read? Now let me see? Whistle

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sun 03 Dec 2017, 1:01 am

ebop wrote:Indeed Tman. Good on Beauden for going back to back. The man himself said he was ‘surprised’ to win it this year. We know, he knows, he can play better and more consistently than he did this year. So that’s a good thing.

Brodie Retallick 7.9
Liam Squire 7.6
Rieko Ioane 7.5
Beauden Barrett 7.3
Kieran Read 7.3

You must have been even more surprised ebop Doh Laugh Laugh

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 03 Dec 2017, 3:56 am

Gwlad wrote:

Brodie Retallick 7.9
Liam Squire 7.6
Rieko Ioane 7.5
Beauden Barrett 7.3
Kieran Read 7.3

Just when I thought it wasnt possible for you to exceed yourself...you have. Im afraid theres no cure for what you have.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sun 03 Dec 2017, 4:21 am

Taylorman wrote:
Gwlad wrote:

Brodie Retallick 7.9
Liam Squire 7.6
Rieko Ioane 7.5
Beauden Barrett 7.3
Kieran Read 7.3

Just when I thought it wasnt possible for you to exceed yourself...you have. Im afraid theres no cure for what you have.

standard response is to start making personal remarks, but then we know you lot aren't great judges of anything

I mean imagine being so down on your countrymen you slate them when they perform abroad, you vilify them in your 'press' when they tour your country and then you know so little about your own players you call them out as being an under-perfomer before they win a massive personal accolade. Then you try and defend it; you make Trump appear to be intellectual by comparison.

There is a word for what you lot are but its unprintable

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Thu 14 Dec 2017, 5:13 pm

Last night New Zealand held its annual Rugby awards.

Sam Whitelock took out the player of the year, also rans were Rieko Ioane and Sarah Goss from the Black ferns and Womans sevens player.

Barrett didnt make the short list.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Thu 14 Dec 2017, 5:39 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote:Last night New Zealand held its annual Rugby awards.

Sam Whitelock took out the player of the year, also rans were Rieko Ioane and Sarah Goss from the Black ferns and Womans sevens player.

Thats because he cost you a lions win, but world rugby said thank you Barrett. Laugh Doh

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Thu 14 Dec 2017, 5:50 pm

Gwlad wrote:

Thats because he cost you a lions win, but world rugby said thank you Barrett. Laugh Doh

Whats probably a lot closer to the truth, is that you can be the best player in the World but that doesn't make you the best player in New Zealand.

But I do note that the Kiwi posters on here were way ahead of Gwlad when it came to making accurate discerning assessment of the World top players.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 14 Dec 2017, 6:19 pm

No one players costs a test match let alone a series.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Thu 14 Dec 2017, 6:53 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote:
Gwlad wrote:

Whats probably a lot closer to the truth, is that you can be the best player in the World but that doesn't make you the best player in New Zealand.

But I do note that the Kiwi posters on here were way ahead of Gwlad when it came to making accurate discerning assessment of the World top players.

NZ isn't in the world then.....thanks for the perfect illustration not only of Kiwi ignorance but arrogance thumbsup

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Thu 14 Dec 2017, 7:50 pm

Gwlad wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:
Gwlad wrote:

NZ isn't in the world then.....thanks for the perfect illustration not only of Kiwi ignorance but arrogance thumbsup

You appear to be the only one that thinks New Zealand isnt in the World.....

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Thu 14 Dec 2017, 7:52 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote:
Gwlad wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:
Gwlad wrote:

You appear to be the only one that thinks New Zealand isnt in the World.....

Me and you then because you just said that bb can be the best player in NZ but not the world. Doh

And now Ive just realized that you dont even understand that your non sequitur (look it up) reveals your ignorance.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next