The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Review of 2017

+2
No name Bertie
MrInvisible
6 posters

Go down

Review of 2017 Empty Review of 2017

Post by MrInvisible Mon 27 Nov 2017, 10:34 am

So what have been the highlights, the disappointments, the fairytales, the breakthroughs, the surprises, the good, the bad and the ugly for everyone this year?

I'll make a start

Comeback of the year: undoubtedly Federer back with a bang winning the Aus Open after being out of the game for 6 months - amazing achievement at his age, and a real exhilarating moment. Also, an honourable mention for Kvitova for returning to the game so quick after her ordeal last year, reaching US Open quarters, beating Muguruza on the way.
Achievement of the year: 'la decima' - Nadal's historic 10th French open title. He was so secure and serene on way to his win. Also, Serena winning Australian Open whilst pregnant, and Jack Sock's late, late run to reach the World Tour Finals.
Anti-climax of the year: Murray's stint at world number one. It was a fantastic achievement for him to reach the summit in 2016 but it obviously took a lot out of him, and other than a decent French Open (lost to Wawrinka in semi-finals in 5 sets) its been a year to forget for him. Also, its got to be said that other than the Aus Open final, the mens' slam finals were pretty underwhelming this year.

Breakthrough player of the year: Has to be Ostapenko, who'd not previously gone deep at a slam, winning the French Open in thrilling fashion. On the men's side, Shavapolov's rise to prominence during the North American hardcourt season was thrilling to see.
Idiot of the year: Dan Evans, thrown away all that good work when he rose up the rankings in 2016 - expect he'll never be able to reach those heights when he comes back. Also, Kyrgios, who despite having calmed down for most of year, ruined it all by walking out of his match with Johnson at Shanghai masters.
Luckiest player of the year: Clearly deserved his US Open slam, but Nadal had a huge slice of luck facing slam final debutante Anderson. Also, by the same token, Anderson - in a tournament already missing lots of big players he reached the final without facing a single top 10 player
Unluckiest player of the year: Cilic, clearly hampered by the blisters during the Wimbledon final against Federer. Also, a long list of injured players: Murray, Nishikori, Wawrinka, Raonic, etc.

Most improved player of the year: Dimitrov - still prone to bouts of inconsistency, but his results this year show he's clearly stepped up a level, and he's now playing with a real intensity. Also, Goffin, who's added a real steeliness and mental toughness to his game.
Most surprisingly good player of the year: Jack Sock - added a lot to the World Tour Finals, and demonstrated that there's more to his game than a big serve and forehand.
Most disappointing player of the year: Whilst Nadal was undoubtedly brilliant in the French Open final, Wawrinka was v poor in that match. May be a tad harsh, given he's only 20, but Alex Zverev for underperforming at the slams.

Villain of the year: Undoubtedly Nastase for those horrendous comments about skin colour of Serena Williams' baby.

MrInvisible

Back to top Go down

Review of 2017 Empty Re: Review of 2017

Post by No name Bertie Mon 27 Nov 2017, 1:06 pm

Achievement of the year for me was
1) Federer winning his 8th Wimbledon title, surpassing the record of the great fast court player Pete Sampras, one month away from his 36th Birthday
2) Federer winning his fifth Australian Open title, aged 35, seven years after his last Australian title.
3) Nadal winning his 3rd US Open title (and 6th non-clay grand slam title), four years after his last US Open title, aged 31.
4) Nadal winning his 10th title at Roland Garros (but this is what Nadal does).

Most improved player:
1) Alexander Zverev
2) Jack Sock

Breakthrough Player of the Year + Most Promising Newcomer:
1) Denis Shapovalov

ps I stopped following women's tennis in earnest a while ago (for the main reason I found them too screechy / noisy).
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue 28 Nov 2017, 9:19 am

The year belonged to Rafa and Rog. 2016 had been the Djoko and Murray show, which proved that over the last two years that even if two of the Big Four are not firing/injured you still have to get past the other two.
   Interesting that Zverev is considered by some to have had a good year but a disappointing one at the same time. I think he could have done even better, given there were so many absentees in the last part of the season.
   But he's only 20 and his results are, I believe, the best for someone his age since Murray and Djoko were 20 years old in 2007.
   Sock had a sensational end to the season, as did Goffin and Dimi. The Bulgarian had too many disappointing defeats for it to be a great season but at least he started and finished well. Wonder if he could do a Stan and start winning slams in his late 20s.
 I agree that Shapovalov could go on to great things. 
   Rafa won, incredibly, for the 10th time in Paris, but for me the outstanding performance was Fed in Melbourne. Having been out for six months he beat four top-10ers to take a GS at 35, playing incredible tennis to do it.
   Ostapenko was a sensational winner at RG and is a big talent. No outstanding player on the women's side this year, though. The openness of the competition was highlighted by not one but two surprise finalists at the USO.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Thu 30 Nov 2017, 5:52 pm

I don't think that either of the top two players on the men's side, Rafa or Roger, quite reached the level Djokovic was playing at in his best years (2011 and 2015 and/or 2016). So, I think IF Djokovic or even Andy can come back to their very best they can go right back to the top again.

I decided to watch women's tennis more this year, but I still tend to turn it off after a minute or so when I realise how screechy they are. Even matches between players that I didn't think do it, still do.

When Azarenka got to no 1, I decided I wouldn't watch any match in any tournament until after I heard she was knocked out. And once I decided that, she started getting to semis and finals consistently, other players did the same screeching after her, and I have never really tuned back in since then.

I am getting a bit bored of men's tennis at times and I was hoping women's tennis would step up as the big 4 fade out but instead I'm just watching less tennis.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 Fri 01 Dec 2017, 12:22 pm

Henman Bill wrote:I don't think that either of the top two players on the men's side, Rafa or Roger, quite reached the level Djokovic was playing at in his best years (2011 and 2015 and/or 2016). So, I think IF Djokovic or even Andy can come back to their very best they can go right back to the top again.

I decided to watch women's tennis more this year, but I still tend to turn it off after a minute or so when I realise how screechy they are. Even matches between players that I didn't think do it, still do.

When Azarenka got to no 1, I decided I wouldn't watch any match in any tournament until after I heard she was knocked out. And once I decided that, she started getting to semis and finals consistently, other players did the same screeching after her, and I have never really tuned back in since then.

I am getting a bit bored of men's tennis at times and I was hoping women's tennis would step up as the big 4 fade out but instead I'm just watching less tennis.

Pretty certain that the Djokovic of early 2016 and the Murray of all of 2016 would have cleared up a majority of the big titles this season. RG, Wimbledon and USO were particularly disappointing slams as the winner never seemed too pushed or any matches in the balance. The matches that could have been close (Rafa v Stan and Rog v Cilic) were disappointingly one sided. USO I don't think there was a single good match (bar Delpo v Thiem).

Regarding the grunting - mens tennis can be just as bad. I find Sharapova unwatchable completely though. Nadal is pretty loud at times too.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Fri 01 Dec 2017, 4:57 pm

A good year for Federer and Nadal who dominated the slams and a good number of the Masters 1000.

Zverev the younger had a good year as well. I know that his slam record is poor but at 20 Federer was not doing very well in slams and we know how that turned out.

Dimitrov and Goffin along with Sock appear to have stepped up and taken their opportunities. Will be interesting to see how they get on early in 2018. Goffin for one must be tired.

The Wawrinka/Murray FO Semi turned out to be a very key match in the season as it appeared to cause or aggravate injuries that more or less ended their seasons.

Disappointing that no one else really took advantage of the number of top players injured apart from those mentioned previously.

The start of 2018 will be interesting. How will the injured come back. Roger and Rafa were not 100% at the end of the season. Without the long break that both had in 2016 how will they fare.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sat 02 Dec 2017, 1:04 am

I don't think there was a 2018 prediction thread. I don't think I'd dare even guess if there is. It's going to be very unpredictable this time.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sat 02 Dec 2017, 12:11 pm

Henman Bill wrote:I don't think there was a 2018 prediction thread. I don't think I'd dare even guess if there is. It's going to be very unpredictable this time.
OK, HB. For good or worse, I'm going to start an '18 prediction thread.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down