2018 Predictions

View previous topic View next topic Go down

2018 Predictions

Post by sirfredperry on Sat 02 Dec 2017, 12:37 pm

This time last year, we assumed that Murray and Djoko would continue to do well and that it was asking a lot for Rafa and Rog to roar back. Not quite how it turned out, of course.
   Now we look forward to 2018. As H-Bill has said on another thread, predicting what might happen over the next 12 months is tricky to say the least. I'm going to stick my neck out and say that Djoko could come storming back, while Fed won't have anything like the year he had in 2017.
   With Rafa, it's difficult to know how fit he's going to be, although he always manages to get himself in working order for the clay court season. I ALWAYS pick him for RG and 2018 is no exception. Murray? Who knows? If his hip is much better, then you think he'll have a reasonable year. But his style of play is such that he needs to be near-100% fit to compete.
   I think some of the other return-ees - Stan, Nishi - will have benefited from the break and could do well. I can see Fed being top 5 again but could miss out on Slam titles. Wimbledon would be his best bet, IMHO.
    Zverev? Has to - and probably will - do better in the Slams in 2018. If he does then he's looking at top 4. Dimi started and finished 2017 very well. He just has to be more consistent. His season this year was marred by some really awful defeats to players he should have beaten easily.
   Thiem tends to do well early on then fade, but is likely to be a top 10er. Goffin was playing some great stuff at the end of 2017 and could well stay in the top 10. Kyrgios will excite, yet frustrate, again. Be interesting to see if Shapovalov can kick on. He's so young that he can afford a second-season-syndrome whereby a player has a dream debut year but then finds the going far tougher.
   Predicting how the women's season pans out is even harder. There was really no outstanding player this year. It could be that Serena will still be a force, child or no. Ostapenko's hitting in 2017 was remarkable. Like Shapovalov, it will be intriguing to see if she can keep it up. Sharapova will climb the rankings again and I expect Muguruza, Pliskova and Halep to be top 5. Konta had a very poor end to the year. Could be difficult for her to keep up her ranking.
   Probably missed out a host of players - male and female - who should have been discussed. But this is a start.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Re: 2018 Predictions

Post by No name Bertie on Mon 04 Dec 2017, 2:37 am

I was impressed with Goffin's end of season - defeating both Nadal and Federer and winning his matches in the Davis Cup.   I think he might be able to step up and make a challenge in the slams, but aged 26 he has a poor record in the slams - two quarter-finals only.

Others to look out for are Denis Shapovalov, Nick Kyrgios, and I suppose Grigor Dimitrov. Then there are the return of the injured such as Milos Raonic, Nishikori and Wawrinka.

I fear for Andy Murray.  I think he might be the first of the "big four" to retire from competitive singles.  His hip issue is not going away readily and he might be one of those requiring a hip replacement in future years.  I had hoped to see Andy Murray drop down to doubles, forming a partnership with his brother and winning slam after slam for a few years before retiring from competitive tennis.  I suppose the Australian Open will reveal all.

For me the biggest unknown is Djokovic.  I still find it hard to work what happened to cause him to so suddenly lose competiveness after being in such an overwhelmingly dominant position at the top of the sport.  I think there are probably three factors involved - physical, mental and personal relationships.

Federer will be turning 37 next year.  He is at an age where it is difficult to make predictions except that he is likely to skip the clay season again.

Nadal will as ever give it his maximum effort, and as long as he doesn't injure himself again seriously, should pick up another French Open title.

No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry on Mon 04 Dec 2017, 9:35 am

NNBertie. Ta for that. Forgot about Raonic. He seems unable to go thru a whole season in one piece. If he should stay, comparatively, injury free then he will be a threat.
   I think Djoko will be OK this season. He's "only" 30 and will bounce back.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 on Mon 04 Dec 2017, 11:19 am

I think this is the final season on big four dominance at the slams. I am backing Djokovic to return to form and end the season as number one.

Think Fed will win one slam (W or AO if it is as quick as last year), Rafa one (RG) and Djoko two. I do worry for Murray that his level might not return to what it was, think he will be competitive and top ten but might lose the edge.

Raonic, Nishikori and Wawrinka will all make the top ten a competitve place if Dimitrov, Goffin, Thiem, Zverev and possibly Kyrgios and Shapovalov can all continue this years form and/or make improvements.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill on Mon 04 Dec 2017, 10:37 pm

Last year's prediction thread I almost didn't bother and I later looked back at my prediction and wished I hadn't.

I really don't want to make too many specific predictions this time around, especially things like who will win each slam.

However I am wondering if we should make Djokovic marginal favourite to have the best year, if fully fit and motivated. However I am not that confident, it seems almost like a pointless guess. If not fully fit or motivated he might not even approach the top five. On the other hand, he might get steadily back to his best but not in time to score big points in the first quarter of the season where he generally gets his biggest haul.

There is too much uncertainty going around.

Let's one of us try and remember to bump this thead in the run up to the Australian Open so more people can participate.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum