Big Bash 2017/18

Go down

Big Bash 2017/18

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Tue 19 Dec 2017, 8:43 am

Starts this morning with a Sydney derby - Roy and Billings playing for the Sixers, and Buttler for the Thunder. Lots of English interest this year!
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Re: Big Bash 2017/18

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Tue 19 Dec 2017, 8:59 am

And Roy is out for 2 Laugh (good ball tbf)
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry on Tue 19 Dec 2017, 9:17 am

Wiley - Scorchers
Roy Billings - Sixers
Buttler - Thunder
Piertsen Wright - Stars
Archer Mills - Hurricanes

Im surprised theres no spot for Hales, although I guess his time on the naughty step cost him a contract?

Archers one whos really flown under the radar for me, but has a pretty handy county record in all formats. Hes dual qualfied for Windies and payed age group cricket for them but has apparently stated (probably quite shrewqdly) that he wants to play for England. Trawling the globe as T20 gun for hire could give him some very valuable experience against quality players and in all kinds of conditions; one to watch for the future I guess!
Does anyone know much of about him as a player? Could he be the next Stokes?

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Tue 19 Dec 2017, 9:20 am

Gooseberry wrote:Wiley - Scorchers
Roy Billings - Sixers
Buttler - Thunder
Piertsen Wright - Stars

Im surprised theres no spot for Hales, although I guess his time on the naughty step cost him a contract?

Archers one whos really flown under the radar for me, but has a pretty handy county record in all formats. Hes dual qualfied for Windies and payed age group cricket for them but has apparently stated (probably quite shrewqdly) that he wants to play for England. Trawling the globe as T20 gun for hire could give him some very valuable experience against quality players and in all kinds of conditions; one to watch for the future I guess!

Can't say I've seen any of him bar the odd game on TV, but from all reports he is quite the prospect. More of a lower order slogger than a proper batsman (although there is no doubt he can strike a ball very well), but can bowl very quick and get movement with it. One to watch for sure
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry on Tue 19 Dec 2017, 9:40 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:
Gooseberry wrote:Wiley - Scorchers
Roy Billings - Sixers
Buttler - Thunder
Piertsen Wright - Stars

Can't say I've seen any of him bar the odd game on TV, but from all reports he is quite the prospect. More of a lower order slogger than a proper batsman (although there is no doubt he can strike a ball very well), but can bowl very quick and get movement with it. One to watch for sure

Hi first class batting avergae is better than those of  Stoneman, Stokes and Malan; only marginaly behind Vince and Moeen ... he must be some slogger!
I know I poor scorn on using County Cricket as a yard stick but when you combine that with a bowling average in the mid twenties he looks a potential test prospect "bowler who can bat a bit" as much as a T20 happy slapper (not that England are exactly short on fast mediums who can hold a bat ....)
For someone who is currently completely outside of the England system it will be interesting to see how he devleopes as a player compared to those who have come through it from teens and performance squads into the Lions. For all the millions poured into that elite devleopment system theres legitimate questions being asked about how effective its been in honing raw talent into test class players.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 on Tue 19 Dec 2017, 12:14 pm

Thunder sneak home after crashing 16 off the final over. Watson and the spinners the difference.

But what on earth was Gibson doing with his innings? 8 off 17 when his side needed about 11 an over with 7 wickets left.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey on Fri 22 Dec 2017, 9:03 am

Quite a big game for the Thunder... away in Adelaide with 50,000+ blue shirts and only about 4 lime green ones at the Oval.
Need to silence them somehow.

Should be a good contest. Strikers off to a good start. 41/1 after 5 overs.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Fri 22 Dec 2017, 9:16 am

Intrigued to see how Rashid Khan goes in Aussie conditions - looks like the Strikers are going to give him plenty to work with, 69/1 off 8 overs now
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Fri 22 Dec 2017, 10:04 am

The Thunder have really restricted the Strikers nicely here - from 89-1 off 9.5 overs to 141-5 off 18.1 so far
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 9:27 am

Nice night for some Bash. I should go out there for some light entertainment after a heavy day watching Test match cricket.

Carey batting well for the Strikers. They should get up around 170 runs for the Sixers to chase.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 10:46 am

Sixers lineup looks to be a batsman or two short to me - whereas the Strikers have a really nice balanced side
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 10:58 am

The NSW sides are always going to be slightly hobbled with so many Test representatives.
Also no Henriques tonight. Adelaide have quite a strong and confident side. Khan is a great addition... Siddle adds some grit too.
It will be an uphill battle from here... 41 off 18... I don't think so.

Close... but 6 runs short.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Mon 01 Jan 2018, 11:21 am

Jos Buttler is rounding into form with the Thunder - two consecutive scores of 80+, but weirdly the Thunder batsmen seemed to not give him the strike as they came up short tonight and he was out in the 19th over only having faced 43 balls
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs on Tue 02 Jan 2018, 12:38 am

Michael Klinger what a player. Got to be one of the most unlucky players in Australia's recent history. Hopefully he gets an IPL gig so he can belatedly cash in.

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 on Wed 03 Jan 2018, 8:57 am

Sydney Sixers on 40/3 after ten overs.

They do know it’s not a 50 over contest, right?

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey on Wed 03 Jan 2018, 11:24 am

A terrible performance form the Sixers. They don't seem to be with it this year.
The Renegades on the other hand are switched on... bowled tight lines and then proved there were no demons in the wicket at Kardinia Park with their batting.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle on Wed 10 Jan 2018, 1:39 pm

https://twitter.com/bbl/status/951058705985908737

Thoughts? Out for me - turns and has a look and then puts himself between the keeper and the ball.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey on Wed 10 Jan 2018, 8:08 pm

Out for me too.
I thought he made an effort to put himself between the incoming throw and the stumps; not trying to get out of the way as Waugh said.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 on Fri 12 Jan 2018, 11:01 am

Some absolutely ridiculous fielding means Melbourne Stars are set to gain their first victory of the tournament.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by rugbybanter on Tue 16 Jan 2018, 9:46 pm

Better standard of player needed for this competition. Cricket Australia should be looking to raise the standard of cricket being played If they introduce more recently retired Internationals and reduce the number of locals playing it will give the locally based players some much needed exposure to the International standard whilst raising the overall profile of the game in Australia. Recently retired players are not bound by any contracts, they have experience on their side and would be interested in keeping themselves fit for a few months of the year! As it stands the level of ability currently on exhibition in the BBL is sub standard & a TV viewership faced with numerous other options when it comes to sporting entertainment need much better natural talent than is currently on display. Either BBL selection criteria is not up to the requisite standards or the lack of a major sponsor for the tournament is stifling its appeal. Teams at the top of the ladder are barely able to bat through the order with players showing little aptitude/fluency when it comes to stroke play or bowling ability. In some of these games the standard of play is no better than a Sunday social game in the park! Cricket Australia need to restore some pride in what was once considered the national sport..

rugbybanter

Back to top Go down

Post by wisden on Sun 21 Jan 2018, 5:36 pm

Arjun Nair banned from bowling for chucking

wisden

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry on Mon 22 Jan 2018, 9:12 am

rugbybanter wrote:
Better standard of player needed for this competition. Cricket Australia should be looking to raise the standard of cricket being played If they introduce more recently retired Internationals and reduce the number of locals playing it will give the locally based players some much needed exposure to the International standard whilst raising the overall profile of the game in Australia. Recently retired players are not bound by any contracts, they have experience on their side and would be interested in keeping themselves fit for a few months of the year! As it stands the level of ability currently on exhibition in the BBL is sub standard & a TV viewership faced with numerous other options when it comes to sporting entertainment need much better natural talent than is currently on display. Either BBL selection criteria is not up to the requisite standards or the lack of a major sponsor for the tournament is stifling its appeal. Teams at the top of the ladder are barely able to bat through the order with players showing little aptitude/fluency when it comes to stroke play or bowling ability. In some of these games the standard of play is no better than a Sunday social game in the park! Cricket Australia need to restore some pride in what was once considered the national sport..

People used to say that about Steve Smith.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Sat 27 Jan 2018, 7:38 am

I almost never watch the Big Bash. But just walked in and caught the most ridiculous third umpire decision ...
Quiney given out run out when (a) the keeper appeared to touch the bails before the ball arrived and (b) some doubt as whether there was a fraction of bat over the line...

OK , either could have been correctly out : but there was clearly doubt on both issues and to give a man out in the circumstances seems incredibly harsh. Watch it and see what you all think.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Sat 27 Jan 2018, 8:16 am

KP signs off from the BB with a belligerent 46 off 23...

Was dismembering Tymal Mills (couple of big sixes) when he surprisingly popped one back the the bowler to end the fun. Set the Stars up for a consolation win though : need ten from ten now though they are seven down.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum