Why do rugby players wear shorts? Aren't trousers better?

Go down

Why do rugby players wear shorts? Aren't trousers better?

Post by international198 on Thu 21 Dec 2017, 7:36 pm

Why do rugby players wear shorts instead of trousers? In American Football the players wear trousers. I think trousers are better because they're warmer for one reason.

international198

Posts : 320
Join date : 2016-04-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Why do rugby players wear shorts? Aren't trousers better?

Post by Scottrf on Thu 21 Dec 2017, 9:12 pm

Good point.

Scottrf

Posts : 13766
Join date : 2011-01-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Why do rugby players wear shorts? Aren't trousers better?

Post by Poorfour on Thu 21 Dec 2017, 9:13 pm

Gridiron players don't wear trousers. They wear plus fours: slightly longer than knee length lycra shorts, fastened tightly just below the knee. These are necessary because they wear tailbone, knee and thigh pads, and the shorts have pockets to hold them.

Rugby doesn't have leg pads, so doesn't need shorts that can hold them. Some players, like Johnny May, wear thigh length undershorts to provide compression and keep the muscles warm, but longer leggings are pretty much unknown on youth and adult rugby.

Many referees frown on them because it's felt that they make it harder to make a successful tackle around the legs, and since the ref is the final arbiter of what kit is allowed on the pitch, players don't wear them.

Poorfour

Posts : 3842
Join date : 2011-10-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Why do rugby players wear shorts? Aren't trousers better?

Post by aucklandlaurie on Fri 22 Dec 2017, 6:57 am

Grid iron players don't wear trousers, Poker players, golfers and snooker players wear trousers.

aucklandlaurie

Posts : 7513
Join date : 2011-06-27
Age : 62
Location : Auckland

Back to top Go down

Re: Why do rugby players wear shorts? Aren't trousers better?

Post by tigertattie on Fri 22 Dec 2017, 11:00 am

I've seen some players top to toe in gear.

Boots, socks, shorts strip is the standard but some boys go with leggings, long sleeve under vest, gloves and then even though they are in the backs, a scrum cap!!!
avatar
tigertattie

Posts : 5136
Join date : 2011-07-11
Location : On the naughty step

Back to top Go down

Re: Why do rugby players wear shorts? Aren't trousers better?

Post by BamBam on Fri 22 Dec 2017, 11:03 am

tigertattie wrote:I've seen some players top to toe in gear.

Boots, socks, shorts strip is the standard but some boys go with leggings, long sleeve under vest, gloves and then even though they are in the backs, a scrum cap!!!

Yeah but don't you just love watching a certain international kicker take 3 mins to take his scrum cap off and put it back on again after each kick - he obviously really needs it playing full back

BamBam

Posts : 13941
Join date : 2011-03-17
Age : 29

Back to top Go down

Re: Why do rugby players wear shorts? Aren't trousers better?

Post by NeilyBroon on Fri 22 Dec 2017, 11:18 am

BamBam wrote:
tigertattie wrote:I've seen some players top to toe in gear.

Boots, socks, shorts strip is the standard but some boys go with leggings, long sleeve under vest, gloves and then even though they are in the backs, a scrum cap!!!

Yeah but don't you just love watching a certain international kicker take 3 mins to take his scrum cap off and put it back on again after each kick - he obviously really needs it playing full back

I wouldn't want him to be taking his trousers off ready for a kick (there would definitely be players who do that if they wore trousers)

I can only speak as a budding track runner - the shorter the shorts the faster you run.
avatar
NeilyBroon

Posts : 1006
Join date : 2012-01-12
Age : 27
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Why do rugby players wear shorts? Aren't trousers better?

Post by marty2086 on Fri 22 Dec 2017, 11:23 am

BamBam wrote:
tigertattie wrote:I've seen some players top to toe in gear.

Boots, socks, shorts strip is the standard but some boys go with leggings, long sleeve under vest, gloves and then even though they are in the backs, a scrum cap!!!

Yeah but don't you just love watching a certain international kicker take 3 mins to take his scrum cap off and put it back on again after each kick - he obviously really needs it playing full back

Lealiifano does the same, even if he's not taking the kick Shocked

marty2086

Posts : 10158
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 32
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: Why do rugby players wear shorts? Aren't trousers better?

Post by eirebilly on Fri 22 Dec 2017, 11:29 am

BamBam wrote:

Yeah but don't you just love watching a certain international kicker take 3 mins to take his scrum cap off and put it back on again after each kick - he obviously really needs it playing full back

I know you are only trying to be funny but I will bite. They are head protections, not scrum caps. Players in all positions can take knocks to the head, not just in the scrum thumbsup
avatar
eirebilly

Posts : 23396
Join date : 2011-02-09
Age : 47
Location : Holland

Back to top Go down

Re: Why do rugby players wear shorts? Aren't trousers better?

Post by No 7&1/2 on Fri 22 Dec 2017, 11:48 am

The caps are more for friction protexting aren't they? Not going to help much if.any for a knock. The good Dr is back on the boards so may see and offer an actual fact though!

No 7&1/2

Posts : 16157
Join date : 2012-10-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Why do rugby players wear shorts? Aren't trousers better?

Post by Poorfour on Fri 22 Dec 2017, 12:05 pm

eirebilly wrote:
BamBam wrote:

Yeah but don't you just love watching a certain international kicker take 3 mins to take his scrum cap off and put it back on again after each kick - he obviously really needs it playing full back

I know you are only trying to be funny but I will bite. They are head protections, not scrum caps. Players in all positions can take knocks to the head, not just in the scrum thumbsup

Given that particular player's knack for getting his head in the wrong place in the tackle, he needs it. Just a shame that World Rugby's approved headgear are ineffective against concussion, and the only scrum cap that does offer protection hasn't been approved yet (http://www.wired.co.uk/article/npro-rugby-concussion-safe-head-guard)

Poorfour

Posts : 3842
Join date : 2011-10-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Why do rugby players wear shorts? Aren't trousers better?

Post by Gooseberry on Fri 22 Dec 2017, 12:29 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:The caps are more for friction protexting aren't they? Not going to help much if.any for a knock. The good Dr is back on the boards so may see and offer an actual fact though!


They protect against cuts and surface bruising, and possibly offer some protection against fractures. But yeah no protection from concussion. If anything, as has been argued for all types of padding, it increases risks of serious injuries by allowing and encouraging bigger more reckless impacts. This is also why they stopped wearing headguards in amatuer boxing.

NFL players wear solid hemlets. They have a bigger problem with concussion and related brain injuries than rugby does.

Gooseberry

Posts : 3715
Join date : 2015-02-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Why do rugby players wear shorts? Aren't trousers better?

Post by doctor_grey on Fri 29 Dec 2017, 12:40 pm

Why do rugby players wear shorts?
Simple: Chicks dig legs. Completely sexist, of course, but Rugby players have got it, and flaunt it. That's the real reason I still play - sometimes so difficult to shrug off the adoring throngs.

Chick also dig scars.

doctor_grey

Posts : 8148
Join date : 2011-04-30

Back to top Go down

Re: Why do rugby players wear shorts? Aren't trousers better?

Post by dummy_half on Fri 05 Jan 2018, 4:16 pm

doctor_grey wrote:Why do rugby players wear shorts?
Simple:  Chicks dig legs.  Completely sexist, of course, but Rugby players have got it, and flaunt it.  That's the real reason I still play - sometimes so difficult to shrug off the adoring throngs.  

Chick also dig scars.    

Is that matches at the school for the visually impaired or the old folks home?

dummy_half

Posts : 4732
Join date : 2011-03-11
Age : 46
Location : East Hertfordshire

Back to top Go down

Re: Why do rugby players wear shorts? Aren't trousers better?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum