The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Ashes: 4th Test; Boxing Day Test, Melbourne

+19
Marky
Gooseberry
eirebilly
Jetty
No name Bertie
compelling and rich
CaledonianCraig
jimbohammers
JDizzle
alfie
LivinginItaly
Pal Joey
Good Golly I'm Olly
SimonofSurrey
KP_fan
Nathaniel Jacobs
guildfordbat
Duty281
Dolphin Ziggler
23 posters

Page 5 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

The Ashes: 4th Test; Boxing Day Test, Melbourne - Page 5 Empty The Ashes: 4th Test; Boxing Day Test, Melbourne

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 24 Dec 2017, 12:21 pm

First topic message reminder :

4th Test; Venue: Melbourne Cricket Ground; Dates: 26-30 December (23:30 GMT, 25 December)

Expected XIs:

Australia:
Bancroft, Warner, Khawaja, Smith *, S Marsh, M Marsh, Paine †, Bird, Cummins, Lyon, Hazelwood

England:
Cook, Stoneman, Vince, Root *, Malan, Bairstow †, Ali, Woakes, Curran, Broad, Anderson

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

The Ashes: 4th Test; Boxing Day Test, Melbourne - Page 5 Empty Re: The Ashes: 4th Test; Boxing Day Test, Melbourne

Post by guildfordbat Wed 27 Dec 2017, 10:55 am

Gooseberry wrote:Its a welcome turnaround for sure ....and im genuinely pleased for Broad and Cook being able to vindicate themselves.
But ....Australia did get lazy and sloppy and not show the steel they have at other times in the series.
They are missing their best bowler and cummins is also hampered. The pitch isnt favouring them in the same way it has before.
Also both Stoneman and Vince are continuing to struggle at the top of the order. Stoneman looks determined but lacks quality....Vince almost the opposite. I noticed someone taking a pop at Cook for not supporting Stoneman in this series ...well one of them has another century, the other averages under 30. The difference between a confident Cook at his best and Stoneman battling his way to a 50 is enormous. I know which Id be happier to see gone in the summer.
Moeens form with the ball ....jeez. He needs that magic confidence and swagger back. At least Malans shown he can do a job to fill in overs...so please no Dawson again.

You're in danger of cooking your own goose there, Goose!

It wasn't so much a pop at Cook and certainly not a call for either of the openers to be binned but more some appreciation of what Stoneman is up against with recognition that Test cricket is hard anyway and harder still when the experienced players around you are not performing.

I'm glad btw that you now value centuries above fifties.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

The Ashes: 4th Test; Boxing Day Test, Melbourne - Page 5 Empty Re: The Ashes: 4th Test; Boxing Day Test, Melbourne

Post by guildfordbat Wed 27 Dec 2017, 11:01 am

alfie wrote:Rather a good day today to be at the G ...for an England supporter. Although I did get a bit cooked when the sun hit my row mid afternoon...

Not going to get carried away yet (four years ago I went home from day two feeling confident with Australia still ninety adrift and down to the last couple of bats : didn't take long for all that to go pear shaped !)

Must confess I was surprised Australia folded up so meekly this morning...bit like the usual England day two collapse Smile   Bit of luck having Smith play on like that but I guess young Curran was due a break.
Did think Root worked his bowlers well : was a bit aghast when Moeen came on after the first break ; but he didn't actually cause any harm this time and enabled Broad to have a breather. And spelling Curran quickly despite the wicket saw Woakes also strike...after which he got Anderson back at the right time.  Maybe some luck in the changes all bringing wickets but no one says unlucky when changes don't help...

Really good to see Broad looking more like his old self. That last few overs he was excellent : OK bowling to rabbits ; but there was something in his bowling that just hasn't been there lately. We know he had been carrying a niggle...bowlers often do. Easy to condemn from the grandstand but perhaps we shouldn't be too quick to call someone past it on the evidence of a couple of poor matches...

Which brings me to...Cook.  Was absolutely delighted to see him come back with an excellent hundred today -  even if he owes Steve Smith a beer for first missing him at slip and then donating a couple of pies so he wouldn't have to sleep on ninety something Smile

He played with great concentration ; and clocking the way he reacted to reaching the ton I get the feeling he isn't planning on calling it quits anytime soon.  You could say it's a bit late ; but I prefer to look at the form temporary class permanent view , as I think England need him for a year or two yet.

In the short term , they need him to go on tomorrow . Same for the skipper ,  who has been less than fluent but has looked pretty determined.  Starting again in the morning hasn't always been easy for England this series - to their cost.  I hope this time they can do it...

Was a sentence on here ever more heartfelt? thumbsup

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed 27 Dec 2017, 11:09 am

Yes, they simply bowled at the stumps or with better lines & lengths and it produced dividends today.
Whilst not particularly super deliveries... the chopped on dismissals were in the right zone, the ball sitting up more off the pitch and hence that little mistiming from the batsmen playing it on to the stumps.

That was a poor day from Australia. Without Starc, the load was increased on Hazelwood and Bird once Cummins had to go off with tummy troubles. He looked "real crook" in that heat! Lyon bowled well; nice and tight and seemed to be on the verge of snaring one or two more.

It seems that Cook's net practice is starting to pay off. Without the threat of Starc he seemed more comfortable from the start and was able to put his practice into play... straight bat and more confident stroke play - with less playing across or the caught in two minds style of batting he produced in the first 3 Tests. He seems to be in the zone... as too does Root.

Glad you enjoyed your day out at the ground, alfie.  Smile
It must have been a very special day for you... witnessing a swing toward England; seeing Curran getting the massive wicket of Smith, Cook get his century and the bowlers, particularly Broad, getting it together in a neat and timely way.

I'm hoping tomorrow is yet another turnaround with some early wickets. Not sure what was said in the dressing room afterwards but the Australians will not be happy at all.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 27 Dec 2017, 11:33 am

Alfie - as for some other parts of your post.

Boycott is by a long way the best English commentator on BT Sport. Admittedly, that says a lot about BT Sport but still.

Anyway, I joined the last session late on and so hardly saw Root. Boycs though was talking along similar lines as you about his batting lacking fluency but showing determination. Boycs suggested that Root found it hard going at the start (maybe the pitch, maybe concern about his own form, maybe both) and that may have actually helped him ''not get carried away early on and throw his wicket away''. You nearly always get a defensive mindset with some criticism mixed in from Boycs. Wink That maddens some posters but, not for the first time, I appreciated what he was getting at.

Poor decision by Smith to bowl at Cook as stumps approached. Yes, he could have induced an error ...  but so could anyone! If Cook wasn't going to be dismissed tonight, Australia wanted him ending the day in the nervous 90s.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 27 Dec 2017, 12:18 pm

England dominate day two, say the BBC.

Nope, I'm not familiar with that combination of words!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Wed 27 Dec 2017, 12:53 pm

I'm fully expecting to wake up tomorrow morning to see how England are doing in this innings and see Australia batting Laugh

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 27 Dec 2017, 1:39 pm

This pitch is one that it is all about getting in on. Cook and Root will need to start all over again tomorrow morning by getting in the zone mentally and resettling in. If they can do that and put on another 50 or so runs then a first innings lead looks on the cards. Thereafter, all it would need is another of the batsmen say Malan or Bairstow hitting a 50 and a lead should be guaranteed. If England can dig in and bat deep to be bowled out after tea then the lead should be around 100.

Australia will be thinking very differently. They will know this England side is susceptible to collapses. They will know only this pair, Malan and Bairstow are the ones most likely to dig in and score. Remove these quickly and they will still hold out hopes of a lead after the first innings. For that to happen they'll want Cummins to be over his stomach bug and the pitch beginning to turn more for Lyon.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 27 Dec 2017, 4:31 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:Australia will be thinking very differently. They will know this England side is susceptible to collapses. They will know only this pair, Malan and Bairstow are the ones most likely to dig in and score. Remove these quickly and they will still hold out hopes of a lead after the first innings. For that to happen they'll want Cummins to be over his stomach bug and the pitch beginning to turn more for Lyon.

Exactly, I still make Australia favourites here as England are very prone to collapse:

246/4 to 302 all out. 113/4 to 195 all out. 102/4 to 227 all out. 169/3 to 233 all out. The infamous 368/4 to 403 all out. 100/3 to 218 all out.

Doesn't take an awful lot of nudging for England to completely fall apart.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 27 Dec 2017, 4:51 pm

Duty281 wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:Australia will be thinking very differently. They will know this England side is susceptible to collapses. They will know only this pair, Malan and Bairstow are the ones most likely to dig in and score. Remove these quickly and they will still hold out hopes of a lead after the first innings. For that to happen they'll want Cummins to be over his stomach bug and the pitch beginning to turn more for Lyon.

Exactly, I still make Australia favourites here as England are very prone to collapse:

246/4 to 302 all out. 113/4 to 195 all out. 102/4 to 227 all out. 169/3 to 233 all out. The infamous 368/4 to 403 all out. 100/3 to 218 all out.

Doesn't take an awful lot of nudging for England to completely fall apart.

Indeed.

However, in any of those collapses I don't think England had their two best batsmen in and on a big partnership. Also another cause for hope is that Australia's best bowler Starc is not present to aid the collapse and the pitch is playing slow so it is negating the pace of the rest of the Australian attack. Key to getting wickets up to now on this wicket is reverse swing. England have actually got more of that going here than the Aussie attack has. Also there is a bit more scoreboard pressure on the bowlers now. Australia's first innings was their lowest of the series so they don't have the luxury of lots of runs to play with. I think the biggest threat to England tomorrow will be Cook and Root and whether they can get settled and whether the pitch will offer more turn to Lyon and more uneven bounce for the pace attack.

CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Wed 27 Dec 2017, 7:39 pm

D2:

--Eng had a few slices of luck this morning....actually 4 to be precise in the form of first 4 wickets of the morning
3 played-ons and one umpires call on LBW reversed...
These type of lucky wickets one gets once in 4 tests......they got 4 in a row in an inning...good for Eng Shocked

--Then Cook came back to form.....very well played and held the inning together with Root showing good form.
Aus cracked in the end as Smith bowled a horrible last over

--Aus on their part were a bit complacent....and left about a 100 runs on the table and that's made the game exciting....opening up all 3 possibilities...

And the equation is simple for Eng...

To drive home the advantage they have to bat full day tomm
and get Aus out in no more than 4 sessions...preferably 3 sessions.

---Eng will have to bat last and by that time pitch will turn
I already saw some reverse from Anderson and Bird today...and as pitch gets a bit worn and scuffed the reverse available will become more.
So Cook's gotta get a daddy 100 tom.... actually try to get a double 100......with reverse and spin available....remaining Eng can fall quite quickly.

PS *trivia*
Curran selected fo his bowling was going at 124kph
& M. Marsh selected for his batting @130kph
Cool
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 27 Dec 2017, 7:44 pm

How is getting an lbw review going in your favour lucky? The technology shows it was lbw. End of. Play-ons well you can call them lucky or like was pointed out (by even the Australian pundits) they were dangerous cross-bat shots that risk you playing on. I saw them as shots of desperation. Smith and then Marsh had been tied down and were aching to score quicker, flashed the bat at shots they may not have done had they been scoring quicker and lost their wickets.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Wed 27 Dec 2017, 7:47 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:How is getting an lbw review going in your favour lucky? .

Try Looking at the statistics
How many times does a batsman given n.o by an on field umpire gets overturned on  a review for LBW:shock:

Ditto played-ons....how many has Eng gotten in the first 3 tests Shocked
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 27 Dec 2017, 7:52 pm

KP_fan wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:How is getting an lbw review going in your favour lucky? .

Try Looking at the statistics
How many times does a batsman given n.o by an on field umpire gets overturned on  a review for LBW:shock:

Ditto played-ons....how many has Eng gotten in the first 3 tests Shocked

Sorry but that is not lucky. That is getting a wrong decision correctly over-turned. The only way I'd agree with you is if they made an error with the technology somehow when technology showed the ball to be missing but it didn't. End of.

Played-ons are a candidate on this wicket. Slow pace off the pitch and lower bounce hence bringing that into play more.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 27 Dec 2017, 11:26 pm

Cummins reportedly in netter health today so thst is better news for Australia. Key for England are can this psir re-engage and kick on.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 27 Dec 2017, 11:33 pm

And there is the 50 for Root. England 194 for 2.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 27 Dec 2017, 11:46 pm

The 200 up for England. 200 for 2 with Cook 108 and Root 53.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 27 Dec 2017, 11:55 pm

KP_fan wrote:

PS *trivia*
Cool

Further localised trivia.

Surrey Present and Surrey Future being represented there by Curran and M. Marsh. Add Smith for Surrey Past - half a season with the stiffs in 2007! Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 28 Dec 2017, 12:00 am

Tighter bowling by Australia just throttling the scoring. 201 for 2.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 28 Dec 2017, 12:02 am

guildfordbat wrote:
KP_fan wrote:

PS *trivia*
Cool

Add Smith for Surrey Past - half a season with the stiffs in 2007! Wink

How do you know they were stiff? Wink
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 28 Dec 2017, 12:03 am

Good morning Craig - and anyone else who is on...

Good bowling this morning from Hazlewood . Backed up by some excellent ground fielding , keeping things very tight with just 8 runs added so far.

I'm not speculating too much : we've seen England collapse often enough this series ; this pitch looks dead flat but Australia got bogged down after a great start from Warner ...and even Warne isn't sure whether or not there will be help for the bowlers on the last day or it will remain basically a road...

In short , anything could happen. Hope the boys can continue their good work with me back in front of the box instead of doing good luck charm duty at the ground Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Thu 28 Dec 2017, 12:04 am

Anyone else find themselves watching the cricket on mute? I wish Swann had gone home after 3 games like he did the last time he was in Australia Whistle

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 28 Dec 2017, 12:08 am

Mr Anderson was dead right about the Australians bowling depth if Jackson Bird is there first replacement seamer. 80-82mph floaters. He’d be handy in England but he’s wholly ineffective on a pitch like this
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 28 Dec 2017, 12:09 am

Hi alfie. I think Australia need a help to get them started. A rash shot or slack running or something. If they can break this partnership then the incoming batsman has to work out the puzzle of settling in and working out how the pitch is playing and what they need to do to stay in.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 28 Dec 2017, 12:13 am

jimbohammers wrote:Anyone else find themselves watching the cricket on mute? I wish Swann had gone home after 3 games like he did the last time he was in Australia Whistle  

We don't get Swann ...evidently we're lucky Smile

Channel Nine has its share of annoying pundits anyway. At the moment Taylor - who is pretty good - and Warne are doing the job so I'm happy to keep the sound on : but I admit I keep said mute button handy at times...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 28 Dec 2017, 12:14 am

England continue to build on 214 for 2. Cook 118 Root 57.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 28 Dec 2017, 12:14 am

Lyon into the attack. Any spin for him today?
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 28 Dec 2017, 12:21 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Mr Anderson was dead right about the Australians bowling depth if Jackson Bird is there first replacement seamer. 80-82mph floaters. He’d be handy in England but he’s wholly ineffective on a pitch like this

Was a slightly surprising choice , I thought. I know he was "next in line" ; but unless they expected a totally different type of pitch here I'd have thought it might have been smarter to introduce one of the young quicker bowlers.
Guess they wanted to honour "continuity". But given the success of their wild card picks in this series already , another "punt" might have been reasonable...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 28 Dec 2017, 12:21 am

And alfie there is that helping hand. Shocker of a shot skies a hook and Root is caught in the deep on 61.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 28 Dec 2017, 12:23 am

The partnership of 138 ends. England 218 for 3 and still trsiling by 109. Malan now needs to settle.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 28 Dec 2017, 12:23 am

Root has played a woeful shot and gifted his wicket. He doesn't have the requisite patience, at the moment, to be at the same level as Kohli and Smith.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 28 Dec 2017, 12:23 am

CaledonianCraig wrote:Hi alfie. I think Australia need a help to get them started. A rash shot or slack running or something. If they can break this partnership then the incoming batsman has to work out the puzzle of settling in and working out how the pitch is playing and what they need to do to stay in.

...and right on cue Joe Root throws it away again picard

I know he wanted to be positive. But I wish he'd just kept ticking it off in less flamboyant manner...

Aussies have their start.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 28 Dec 2017, 12:27 am

alfie wrote:
Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Mr Anderson was dead right about the Australians bowling depth if Jackson Bird is there first replacement seamer. 80-82mph floaters. He’d be handy in England but he’s wholly ineffective on a pitch like this

Was a slightly surprising choice , I thought. I know he was "next in line" ; but unless they expected a totally different type of pitch here I'd have thought it might have been smarter to introduce one of the young quicker bowlers.
Guess they wanted to honour "continuity".  But given the success of their wild card picks in this series already , another "punt" might have been reasonable...

Thought I heard he was averaging 16.5 this SS season... and his 27.5 in Tests is not too shabby either. It was a tough day for him yesterday though.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 28 Dec 2017, 12:31 am

Key that England build another partnership here. If they can knock together a 50 partnership then they will be closing in on the Australian first innings score. England 224 for 3. Cook 120 and Malan 4.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 28 Dec 2017, 12:41 am

Duty281 wrote:Root has played a woeful shot and gifted his wicket. He doesn't have the requisite patience, at the moment, to be at the same level as Kohli and Smith.

I don't actually think Root lacks patience . He played with a lot of it yesterday - and early today. I guess he is generally able to keep the score moving pretty well without huge risk : but on this slow pitch - and given he really hasn't been anywhere near his best on this tour , right from the off - he was struggling to impose himself.
Probably felt he was just about ready to start loosening up and playing more shots ...and unfortunately the short ball arrived and proved he should have waited a bit longer Smile

I wouldn't rate him with Smith or Kohli at this stage : if and when he comes to terms with the added responsibility of the captaincy he may get up there ; but he really has to start converting more of these fifties into big scores. In fairness that was an issue for him before he became skipper ; but I do believe that pressure is weighing on him , especially on a tough tour like this.

Suppose another possibility is Australian conditions just don't suit him ? He failed four years ago , and is certainly doing better this time around. Kohli was a walking wicket in England not very long ago so it isn't just Joe who would have an Achilles heel...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 28 Dec 2017, 12:42 am

Malan with a pair of streaky fours gets the scoreboard back moving. England 235 for 3 trailing by 92.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 28 Dec 2017, 12:49 am

The Loaded Dog wrote:
alfie wrote:

Guess they wanted to honour "continuity".  But given the success of their wild card picks in this series already , another "punt" might have been reasonable...

Thought I heard he was averaging 16.5 this SS season...  and his 27.5 in Tests is not too shabby either. It was a tough day for him yesterday though.

No I'm not disputing he was in form , LD. Which was why he was first reserve. Just that this didn't seem like the sort of pitch that would suit his type of bowling.

Of course he might still come back and bag a bunch of wickets later in this match. What I hope for his sake is that he doesn't continue to have a tough time and have them decide to take someone else to SA . They are a bit fickle sometimes : look at the way Sayers goes in and out of favour.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 28 Dec 2017, 12:52 am

Cook offering up a half-chance off Lyon but survives. England 239 for 3 and trail by 88.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 28 Dec 2017, 1:03 am

New ball just around the corner and England 244 for 3. Cook 131 and Malan 13. Australia still with a lead of 83.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 28 Dec 2017, 1:07 am

New ball taken. England 246 for 3. Partnership now 28. Lunch 20 minutes away. Key minutes these.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 28 Dec 2017, 1:10 am

Second ball of new ball and Malan trapped lbw for 14. Was there another inside edge not reviewed though? Nightmare scenario for England.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 28 Dec 2017, 1:10 am

Hazelwood strikes with the new ball and Malan now gone. Big wicket for Australia.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 28 Dec 2017, 1:13 am

Lovely drive from Bairstow to get off the mark. Again England need a 50+ partnership here. Do that and a lead is still likely.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 28 Dec 2017, 1:19 am

The 250 up for England via a drive through the covers for 4 by Bairstow. England trail by 74 on 253 for 4.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 28 Dec 2017, 1:20 am

Surely he didn't get an inside edge and not know it ? Once in a match - Vince - would be odd ; twice ? In one innings ?

I couldn't see any sign of the Vince one hitting the bat - forgetting about the tech evidence : but that one does look like an inside edge.

What is going on ?

Apart from that the clouds are gathering for England : the general rule in this series has been that once Malan gets out the innings folds up rather quickly...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 28 Dec 2017, 1:21 am

Indeed, it's bizarre, Alfie.

Very much an even game now.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 28 Dec 2017, 1:24 am

alfie wrote:Surely he didn't get an inside edge and not know it ? Once in a match - Vince - would be odd ; twice ? In one innings ?

I couldn't see any sign of the Vince one hitting the bat - forgetting about the tech evidence : but that one does look like an inside edge.

What is going on ?

Apart from that the clouds are gathering for England : the general rule in this series has been that once Malan gets out the innings folds up rather quickly...

Bizarre that neither were reviewed considering they have two in the bank. Why save them for the all-rounders/tail-enders?
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 28 Dec 2017, 1:27 am

CaledonianCraig wrote:
alfie wrote:Surely he didn't get an inside edge and not know it ? Once in a match - Vince - would be odd ; twice ? In one innings ?

What is going on ?

Bizarre that neither were reviewed considering they have two in the bank. Why save them for the all-rounders/tail-enders?

Precisely . Blimey : a lot of batsmen in that match situation might have reviewed that one anyway in hopes it struck outside the line...

Maybe they need lessons from Shane Watson Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 28 Dec 2017, 1:27 am

Streaky from Bairstow at present. England 263 for 4 with Cook 133 and Bairstow 16. They trail by 64.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 28 Dec 2017, 1:31 am

England go into lunch on 264 for 4. Cook 134 and Bairstow 16. They trail by 63.

A hard to judge morning. Two wickets for Australia and throttling the scoring but England avoiding any major collapse. I would call it even but errors by England or else should have been their morning.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 28 Dec 2017, 1:43 am

Even session , I guess ; though England will be disappointed not to have dominated it after surviving some very testing early bowling. Root's wicket was a bit of a gift really...and the bizarre non-review by Malan does leave one wondering what might have been...

Important first hour after lunch ...now where have I heard that before ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next