The Ashes: 4th Test; Boxing Day Test, Melbourne

Page 9 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

The Ashes: 4th Test; Boxing Day Test, Melbourne

Post by Dolphin Ziggler on Sun 24 Dec 2017, 12:21 pm

First topic message reminder :

4th Test; Venue: Melbourne Cricket Ground; Dates: 26-30 December (23:30 GMT, 25 December)

Expected XIs:

Australia:
Bancroft, Warner, Khawaja, Smith *, S Marsh, M Marsh, Paine †, Bird, Cummins, Lyon, Hazelwood

England:
Cook, Stoneman, Vince, Root *, Malan, Bairstow †, Ali, Woakes, Curran, Broad, Anderson

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Re: The Ashes: 4th Test; Boxing Day Test, Melbourne

Post by guildfordbat on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 11:35 am

Duty281 wrote:I knew dropping Cook from the predictor game would reap dividends...

Like an alcoholic going into a bar on New Year's Eve for a quick soft drink, I knew picking Mitch Marsh as my bowler would spell trouble ...

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 11:54 am

Thanks for your elaboration above, guildford.

I'm in the same bar or worse... dropped Warner and also picked Mitch. It's like everyone inside is having a little chuckle at me as I order my mulled wine... heavy on the cinnamon, light on the cloves.

Pal Joey
TLD
TLD

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 12:43 pm

Bravo, Alistair, bravo!

Get 250, lad. I’m torn between wanting him to carry his bat through the innings (not happened for 20 years or so) or get 250 and then swing his arm around.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 1:22 pm

I think England will bat until Cook gets his 250 or until Anderson succumbs. He only needs 6 more runs so it isn't out of the question but Anderson is on strike first thing so it could all be over first ball. Still a lead of 164 is already way more than England could have hoped for. The question is can Anderson and Broad extract enough from this docile pitch to push for the win?
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 1:34 pm

If the pitch does spin a little bit then I wouldn't rule out Moeen getting stuck in.

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 2:25 pm

Here's a stat and a half!

"@Benedict_B: As far as I can see, this is the first time that England's leading run-scorer and wicket-taker have batted together since the second Test in history back in 1877 when Harry Jupp (67 runs) opened the batting with Alfred Shaw (8 wickets) in England’s first innings."

Shame it doesn't count because #deadrubber Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Wink
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 2:58 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:Bravo, Alistair, bravo!

Get 250, lad. I’m torn between wanting him to carry his bat through the innings (not happened for 20 years or so) or get 250 and then swing his arm around.

As KP-f might suggest - Root should declare with Cook on 249 to show the little boy has grown into a hard man. Whistle

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 4:06 pm

Much rubbish written about this being a dead rubber match and that Australia were not at full strength. Both true of course, but to say this Test somehow doesn't "count" is ridiculous. IMHO opinion it would have been crazy to drop Cook or Broad. Both have much to contribute from now on.
   For me, it's been heartening to wake up two mornings running to good news for once.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 4:17 pm

sirfredperry wrote:Much rubbish written about this being a dead rubber match and that Australia were not at full strength. Both true of course, but to say this Test somehow doesn't "count" is ridiculous. IMHO opinion it would have been crazy to drop Cook or Broad. Both have much to contribute from now on.
   For me, it's been heartening to wake up two mornings running to good news for once.

It matters on a number of fronts.

Pride. The England side do not want to be on the end of another 5-0 humiliation and not having performed at all. They want a win to stop the rot in Australia and to boost their own pride and get their confidence back up.

Player's careers. A number of players in the England squad need to perform or may end up being dropped. Some need to perform to establish themselves in the team (Stoneman, Vince, Malan, Overton and Curran). Australia's Bird, Mitch Marsh, Tim Paine and Khawaja the same may be said.

Confidence. For some of the England players who have suffered a crisis in confidence it is important to recover some lost confidence. Cook, Broad and Ali have all been under the microscope in this area as has Root at times.

Momentum. It may seem a long way off to the next Ashes Tour but the difference between a 5-0 whitewash and a 3-2 loss is quite something. Likewise, Australia would love to extend their winning run in Australia V England to nine straight wins which this would have been.
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 4:33 pm

England should bat as long as possible which, admittedly, might not be for too much longer.

Cook should engage T20 mode and try and land his first 300.

The England bowlers will still need to work bloody hard to force a win on this pitch.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 4:46 pm

Duty281 wrote:England should bat as long as possible which, admittedly, might not be for too much longer.

The England bowlers will still need to work bloody hard to force a win on this pitch.

That may not be long though given that Anderson will be on strike. Hazlewood will be let loose on him so Cook may be left stranded. Still it plays with the Aussie openers minds as they have to go onto the field in fielding mode then re-engage straight away into batting mode.
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 4:48 pm

Duty281 wrote:England should bat as long as possible which, admittedly, might not be for too much longer.

Duty - I suspect you're more keen on winning your ''300 individual score in the series'' bet than England winning the Test! Good luck to you and England! Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 5:05 pm

Alastair Cook for a Knighthood then. OBEs for everyone if England win this test match

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 5:11 pm

Steffan wrote:Alastair Cook for a Knighthood then. OBEs for everyone if England win this test match

Well the first one I think could happen a few years down the line. The second one is just daft.

Alastair Cook sits high on all records lists for Test batsmen and tops many of the England Test records. It is not out of the question that he could end up 3rd on the all-time highest Test run scorer before he retires.
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 5:21 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:
Steffan wrote:Alastair Cook for a Knighthood then. OBEs for everyone if England win this test match

Well the first one I think could happen a few years down the line. The second one is just daft.

Alastair Cook sits high on all records lists for Test batsmen and tops many of the England Test records. It is not out of the question that he could end up 3rd on the all-time highest Test run scorer before he retires.

Not wholly out of the question he could finish top of the list! 3900 odd runs to pass Tendulkar, Cook doesn’t seem like he’s going anywhere soon, fitness isn’t a question - another 3/4 years and he’ll be approaching that at his current pace...
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 5:26 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:

Not wholly out of the question he could finish top of the list! 3900 odd runs to pass Tendulkar, Cook doesn’t seem like he’s going anywhere soon, fitness isn’t a question - another 3/4 years and he’ll be approaching that at his current pace...

I think he'd need to continue on for another six or seven years and keep up his consistency to near Tendulkaar. He is currently (as near as makes no differene) 4,000 runs adrift of Sachin.
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 5:37 pm

The list is:-

S Tendulkar 15,921 runs (Out of Cook's reach I would say barring Cook batting on into his late 30s at least and staying consistent. Can't see it)
R Ponting 13,378 runs (Perhaps Cook could be approaching Ponting by end of winter tour in 2020)
J Kallis 13,289 runs (As above)
R Dravid 13,288 runs (As above)
K Sangakkara 12,400 runs (Cook should pass Sangakkara if he has a decent summer and tour of NZ)
A COOK 11,956 runs
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 5:44 pm

Cook needs about another 50 test matches to pass Tendulkar, unless he goes on a dream run. Could take another 6-8 years, that.

But most test runs is, by and large, a meaningless statistic.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 6:01 pm

Duty281 wrote:Cook needs about another 50 test matches to pass Tendulkar, unless he goes on a dream run. Could take another 6-8 years, that.

But most test runs is, by and large, a meaningless statistic.

True but it is a hell of a caveat to hold.
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 6:06 pm

KP_fan wrote:D2:

And the equation is simple for Eng...

To drive home the advantage they have to bat full day tomm
and get Aus out in no more than 4 sessions...preferably 3 sessions.

---Eng will have to bat last and by that time pitch will turn
I already saw some reverse from Anderson and Bird today...and as pitch gets a bit worn and scuffed the reverse available will become more.
So Cook's gotta get a daddy 100 tom.... actually try to get a double 100......with reverse and spin available....remaining Eng can fall quite quickly.

--At 370-8 when Curran fell D3 almost did not go to the proposed script above
But in the end it did....Cook got the double......Broad played from the memory of good days when he was a real bowling all rounder.... a very relevant inning after being the top wicket taker
The old guns have put Eng ahead.
Players like Cook come in the great bracket of great players........not only for the runs and 100s but also that every 4th or 5th game they keep producing game changing innings..

--It was stupefying to see how the 3rd umpire gave Broad out.....until the time ball disappeared and then how it reappeared in Khawaja's hands it had to have connected with the ground at some point .
Normally astute Eng messed up Malan's dismissal review also.,..but luck evened out with two drops of Cook
How Ali has gone from sublime to ridiculous to a horrible "Wafter" struggling to survive even 20 balls.
Eng may have logically no option but to drop him on the spinning pitch of Sydney
Unless he picks up an unlikely 4-for in the second...and Eng would not even want to even imagine that match would reach a position where Ali has to bat again

--match itself....70% Eng win; 25% draw and 5% Aus win
Aus script for tomm is simple...get rid of Anderson immediately
and bat through tomm at the very least @no less than 3RPO and have enough wickets to last atleast an hour and possibly a session on D5

If Aus Bat the 4 session draw become very likely as they would have a lead of 220ish.....
3 and half sessions creates a tricky 150-170 that normally Eng should win but could trigger a nervous collapse

Aus crashing out tomm is less likely...because the pitch looks flat and all the usual amply discussed limitations in English bowling still exist
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 6:30 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:The list is:-

S Tendulkar 15,921 runs (Out of Cook's reach I would say barring Cook batting on into his late 30s at least and staying consistent. Can't see it)
R Ponting 13,378 runs (Perhaps Cook could be approaching Ponting by end of winter tour in 2020)
K Sangakkara 12,400 runs (Cook should pass Sangakkara if he has a decent summer and tour of NZ)
A COOK 11,956 runs

Cook could very well end up as the best opener of all time. A lot has to be said for an opening batsman with his longevity and runs. People slate his average of 46 but its his position that has dictated that average and not his skill. This and the fact that he has not had a steady opening partner for some time putting extra pressure on him.
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 9:13 pm

eirebilly wrote:

A COOK 11,956 runs

Cook could very well end up as the best opener of all time. A lot has to be said for an opening batsman with his longevity and runs. People slate his average of 46 but its his position that has dictated that average and not his skill. This and the fact that he has not had a steady opening partner for some time putting extra pressure on him.

For me Billy, he’s already there (or at the very least in the conversation already). Averaging 46 opening in England in tests is no mean feat, and he’s also proven he can do it in all conditions in his career too.

I really don’t think another 50-60 tests for him is out of the question. The man is the most mentally tough and physically fit cricketer I’ve ever seen!
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 9:36 pm

eirebilly wrote:

A COOK 11,956 runs

For me Billy, he’s already there (or at the very least in the conversation already). Averaging 46 opening in England in tests is no mean feat, and he’s also proven he can do it in all conditions in his career too.

I really don’t think another 50-60 tests for him is out of the question. The man is the most mentally tough and physically fit cricketer I’ve ever seen!

Not to mention, there's not exactly a queue waiting to replace him.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 9:40 pm

Duty281 wrote:
eirebilly wrote:

A COOK 11,956 runs

Not to mention, there's not exactly a queue waiting to replace him.

Spot on! We still haven’t replaced Strauss/Trott, let alone trying to replace Cook!
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 11:13 pm

A COOK 11,956 runs

Think he has Sanga covered. The next three are another 1000 on all in a bunch so if he plays a couple more years he's presumably past all of them ...Tendulkar remaining untouchable. Which is probably as it should be.

He's going to average under fifty , unlike the others. But he is the only opener in that bunch so I think that's got to be one measure of greatness.

Since Hutton (among English openers) I'd say he's put himself ahead of Gooch and Boycott. Will leave the all time comparisons until he finishes...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 11:17 pm

Paul Collingwood just described Moeens innings as a sign of a muddled mind...and that he had made the decision to play like that.
Pretty open thing to say mid game by a coach

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 11:23 pm

No rain about - yet. Not sure about later though...saw a fair bit on the radar off to the south west.

Craig's road maps being out of service at the moment I'd suggest England's is fairly simple today : hopefully run 'em around for a few overs , then bowl them out quickly as possible Smile
Australia logically will want to bat all day then reassess whether they can get a big enough lead to have a decent crack on the last day. Run rates in the match suggest they might be somewhere between fifty and a hundred ahead by close of play. I don't think it is in them to abandon hopes of winning , whatever Lehmann might say , so if they get a couple of partnerships going tomorrow may still be very much " live"

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 11:24 pm

Without trying to sound sexist but Alison Mitchell really is a very poor pundit/commentator. Its as if she has no idea what she is talking about. She is probably better suited to anchor rather than commentate.
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 11:31 pm

Well that was quick.
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 11:31 pm

Gooseberry wrote:Paul Collingwood just described Moeens innings as a sign of a muddled mind...and that he had made the decision to play like that.
Pretty open thing to say mid game by a coach

Collingwood strikes me as a man who tells it as it is . Not likely to coat the story in waffle. He did say "slightly" muddled though...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 11:32 pm

So what i said about it being pointless to come out
..but cook carries it at least

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 11:34 pm

What an excellent crowd, standing ovation from the Aussies for Cook. clap
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 11:35 pm

Not exactly shocked to see Jimmy not lasting long this morning Smile

Was a well directed lifter from Cummins to get first up ...good piece of bowling.

So Cook gets to carry his bat . Chef

Now the serious stuff starts.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 11:35 pm

One ball? That was fun.

Cook carries his bat. Of course, Alec Stewart once carried his bat through an entire test...

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 11:35 pm

Not so bothered about Anderson being out first ball. The cloud may be a massive influence for England now.
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 11:38 pm

Gooseberry wrote:So what i said about it being pointless to come out
..but cook carries it at least

Well no more runs. But Warner and Bancroft have to come on , off and on again ...so not entirely pointless. Think if they weren't going to declare a few overs short last night they were always coming out this morning.
Not a big deal.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 11:40 pm

Jimmy wanted to stay fresh thumbsup
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 11:43 pm

Not impossible that Australia will still win this, of course; four sessions of batting could leave England with a tricky 200 chase.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 11:46 pm

Over today Duty, over today thumbsup

Broad all over Bancroft.
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 11:57 pm

Would hope so. But it's still a good pitch, and the sun is peeking out of those clouds, now.

This new ball doesn't stay fresh for long, either.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 11:58 pm

alfie wrote:No rain about - yet.  Not sure about later though...saw a fair bit on the radar off to the south west.

Craig's road maps being out of service at the moment I'd suggest England's is fairly simple today : hopefully run 'em around for a few overs , then bowl them out quickly as possible
Smile
Australia logically will want to bat all day then reassess whether they can get a big enough lead to have a decent crack on the last day. Run rates in the match suggest they might be somewhere between fifty and a hundred ahead by close of play. I don't think it is in them to abandon hopes of winning , whatever Lehmann might say , so if they get a couple of partnerships going tomorrow may still be very much " live"

That might have something to do with why Craig's road maps were taken off air. Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 11:59 pm

Bancroft with some nice shots now clap He has a bit to prove here and has started pretty well...
Still not a fan of this deep point for Warner.

Pitch still offering nothing to the bowlers. Could be another attritional day.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly on Fri 29 Dec 2017, 12:00 am

I know bud, just had a few beers waiting for it to start so my judgement is a little clouded thumbsup
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly on Fri 29 Dec 2017, 12:01 am

I would actually give Curran a bowl ahead of Woakes.
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Fri 29 Dec 2017, 12:08 am

Can't accuse Root of not being busy as a skipper...quick bowling changes (very quick !) and the slips already migrating to the covers...

Think I'd have liked a couple more orthodox opening overs but lets see what happens . Curran and Woakes might enjoy a new ball.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly on Fri 29 Dec 2017, 12:12 am

What a stupid review from Root. Curran did not see anything in that so why review?
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Fri 29 Dec 2017, 12:12 am

Waste of a review. Root must have thought he heard something but they might come to regret burning that one so early.

Hasn't been a great match for England with the drs

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 on Fri 29 Dec 2017, 12:12 am

England lose a review. Panicked appeal. Poor choice.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat on Fri 29 Dec 2017, 12:13 am

eirebilly wrote:Without trying to sound sexist but Alison Mitchell really is a very poor pundit/commentator. Its as if she has no idea what she is talking about. She is probably better suited to anchor rather than commentate.

Billy - my view is that it would be far more sexist to accept Alison Mitchell's dreadful commentary without complaint simply because she is a woman. She talks far too much, doesn't provide anything insightful and gets overly excited whenever the ball goes in the air even if there's no fielder nearby.

That said, she is still miles better than Swann. She could even be better than Smith as an anchor but that really says more about how utterly appalling he is.

As you may have picked up, I'm not a great fan of BT Sport who continue to value quantity over quality.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 on Fri 29 Dec 2017, 12:14 am

guildfordbat wrote:As you may have picked up, I'm not a great fan of BT Sport who continue to value quantity over quality.

Though I'll miss Lord Geoffrey, it will be thankfully back to Sky for the New Zealand tour.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum