Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings

Page 13 of 16 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Go down

Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings

Post by munkian on Thu 30 Nov 2017, 1:58 pm

First topic message reminder :

RiscaGame wrote:Their backs. Wow.

Jackman really can't settle on a hooker mind.

Just saw Simon Thomas tweet Leon Brown has suffered a second concussion. If that's so, I wonder if that means the first wasn't really dealt with properly?

Are you sure ? I've read it that he suffered a concussion so he hasn't been picked INCASE he suffers another.
avatar
munkian

Posts : 8089
Join date : 2011-04-01
Age : 37
Location : Bristol/The Port

Back to top Go down


Re: Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings

Post by Stone Motif on Fri 04 May 2018, 6:26 am

The Oracle wrote:Cheers Risca, i think that’s looking a bit stronger than we’ve got and we have some impact on the bench (some!).

I think the back line needs some more cutting edge in the centres. Just not sure Dixon and Morgan are up to it. I always feel very underwhelmed by their performances. We need a more elusive inside centre than one in the Dixon mould, I feel. Maybe Henson then, if he’s saying he wasn’t a to play 12? But he’s starting to look a little old as tired now! But a ball playing IC might help bring Morgan into the game a bit more.
Dixon is in because our pack get pistol whipped by all and sundry. He's a decent ball player, but lacks agility something chronic. Tyler could be a rolls royce of a centre but I fear he's too snappy for pro rugby. In any case, your half backs dictate who is brought into the game. The problem with the centres is there.
avatar
Stone Motif

Posts : 2623
Join date : 2012-03-26
Location : Gwent Region

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings

Post by Stone Motif on Fri 04 May 2018, 6:29 am

munkian wrote:Its a worrying amount of looseheads going Shocked
Whilst all Poopie, you are supposed to have at least one on the pitch. Full back will be an abortion next season as well when Amos is with Wales: straight shoot out between the People's 10 Zane Kirchner and the Turkish Matthew Morgan.
avatar
Stone Motif

Posts : 2623
Join date : 2012-03-26
Location : Gwent Region

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings

Post by Stone Motif on Fri 04 May 2018, 6:31 am

The Oracle wrote:Jackman's going to have a serious amount of egg on his face if we don't improve a bit and at least become more competitive next season.  2 wins this year is beyond shocking.  Even last year which was another poor season we had quite a few more losing bonus points, if memory serves.  I looked it up for this year and we only have a few LBPs, meaning generally we've been soundly beaten.  Next season we've got to be targeting winning half our games, surely?
He already has. A totally wasted round of recruitment bar scrum half and hooker.
avatar
Stone Motif

Posts : 2623
Join date : 2012-03-26
Location : Gwent Region

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings

Post by Stone Motif on Fri 04 May 2018, 6:33 am

munkian wrote:
Luckless Pedestrian wrote:I just think it's embarrassing frankly that signing Premiership players is the height of our ambition.

Its not the height though is it ? Its the start.

We don't have money so we need to start winning to attract bigger players.

Nonsense sorry we've let nearly a match day squad go and signed 500 wingers, all of whom are Poopie than the ones we already had.
avatar
Stone Motif

Posts : 2623
Join date : 2012-03-26
Location : Gwent Region

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings

Post by Stone Motif on Fri 04 May 2018, 6:41 am

LordDowlais wrote:
The Oracle wrote:*More signings*

We’ve just announced the signings of Jacob Botica and Tiaan Loots from RGC. Christ, that’ll get the other regions frothing at the mouth again.

Well, well.

And I am always being told that the Welsh Premiership is not good enough to get players for regional rugby. Very Happy
The only thing more certain than Botica and Loots turning out to be garbage signings at this level is that Bowellais'd turn up to write this mangled bit of victim-hood. Next on the 606 stupid post bingo board to Mikey dragon telling us he 'rates' a player he's heard of but doesn't rate a player he hasn't heard of.
avatar
Stone Motif

Posts : 2623
Join date : 2012-03-26
Location : Gwent Region

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings

Post by Stone Motif on Fri 04 May 2018, 9:53 am

Stalwart_Price_angered_by_bitter_end_to_Dragons_service
Pathetic by the Dragons if true
avatar
Stone Motif

Posts : 2623
Join date : 2012-03-26
Location : Gwent Region

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings

Post by The Oracle on Fri 04 May 2018, 10:38 am

Stone Motif wrote:Stalwart_Price_angered_by_bitter_end_to_Dragons_service
Pathetic by the Dragons if true

Yeah, read that and thought it was shoddy treatment (the flowers thing).

On a similar note, it amazes me that a player can be deemed to be so poor by the Dragons that he can't get more than 1 or 2 games in a season and vastly inexperienced players are played ahead of them (what Phil Price complains of; Kirchner at 10 over AOB is another example). And yet a side at the top end of the league, doing well in Europe, not only takes that player on trial but is so impressed that they offer him a 2 year contract. I fully get that coaches have in mind what they're looking for but it seems to happen a lot at the Dragons. Aled Brew is another one - Kingsley thought he was gash and he ended up playing in the Welsh Prem, yet a season or two later he's tearing it up in the English top flight for Bath, playing regularly and scoring tries. It just seems that something is rotten at RP as players come to us and just decline or their confidence/aspirations go and their heads go. Must be the coaching/environment.
avatar
The Oracle

Posts : 1198
Join date : 2018-01-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings

Post by Luckless Pedestrian on Fri 04 May 2018, 11:03 am

Jackman kept saying at the start of the season that it was a clean slate, no preconceptions, everyone would get a chance to prove themselves etc. Well so much for that. And as you say, if they genuinely thought after a couple of outings that they had better players available, how come the Scarlets want him?

Luckless Pedestrian

Posts : 22780
Join date : 2011-02-01
Age : 39
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings

Post by Stone Motif on Fri 04 May 2018, 11:27 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Jackman kept saying at the start of the season that it was a clean slate, no preconceptions, everyone would get a chance to prove themselves etc. Well so much for that. And as you say, if they genuinely thought after a couple of outings that they had better players available, how come the Scarlets want him?
And, as the point has been repeatedly made in respect of any number of the surplus 19, what does Bevington offer that Phil Price doesn't
avatar
Stone Motif

Posts : 2623
Join date : 2012-03-26
Location : Gwent Region

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings

Post by The Oracle on Fri 04 May 2018, 11:57 am

Yep, swapping like for like is not the answer.  The only hope is that Bevington does at the Dragons what Phil Price has done at the Scarlets - i.e. doing better than expectations.

But......

It probably has a lot to do with the players around them (Edit: that's stating the obvious I suppose).  Phil Price slotting into a strong pack and impressing is a lot easier than Bevington/Mitchell/Hobbs/Nicky Thomas being asked to shore up a woeful pack at the Dragons, and then being in the spotlight for all scrummaging woes.  It's a lonely place being a prop at the Dragons!  But at the Scarlets (or other top teams) - I reckon I could come on in the 2nd half as LH after Rob Evans has softened up the opposition, with Ken to the side of me, Samson on the other side, Ball and Beirne behind me.  And I'm only about 12.5 stone wet!  Price has it easy!
avatar
The Oracle

Posts : 1198
Join date : 2018-01-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings

Post by RiscaGame on Fri 04 May 2018, 1:48 pm

The thing with Price is, you can maybe say playing the likes of Reynolds over him is fair as you’re looking to the future or trialling a youngster. What would be more galling is rating a journeyman hooker turned prop over him.

I did read something last week about our new hooker we’ve signed, but didn’t register it as a new player. Has the same sort of description that ellis arrived with, so perhaps it’s another loosehead again (in effect).

RiscaGame

Posts : 2045
Join date : 2016-01-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings

Post by Luckless Pedestrian on Fri 04 May 2018, 4:27 pm

Faletau staying at Bath.

Luckless Pedestrian

Posts : 22780
Join date : 2011-02-01
Age : 39
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings

Post by mikey_dragon on Sat 05 May 2018, 5:00 am

Where do folk get the idea that Phil Price has become amazing overnight? He’s like fourth choice at Scarlets. Not a bad bit of business if you can get a player with his experience for cheap and have him as your fourth LH rather than a prem player.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 7228
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings

Post by mikey_dragon on Sat 05 May 2018, 5:01 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Faletau staying at Bath.

Long term too. I can’t see Bath winning anything so can’t agree with his optimism. We should try and steal Sam Moore from Sale.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 7228
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings

Post by mikey_dragon on Sat 05 May 2018, 5:03 am

Stone Motif wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
The Oracle wrote:*More signings*

We’ve just announced the signings of Jacob Botica and Tiaan Loots from RGC. Christ, that’ll get the other regions frothing at the mouth again.

Well, well.

And I am always being told that the Welsh Premiership is not good enough to get players for regional rugby. Very Happy
The only thing more certain than Botica and Loots turning out to be garbage signings at this level is that Bowellais'd turn up to write this mangled bit of victim-hood. Next on the 606 stupid post bingo board to Mikey dragon telling us he 'rates' a player he's heard of but doesn't rate a player he hasn't heard of.

Who?

mikey_dragon

Posts : 7228
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings

Post by Cardiff Dave on Sat 05 May 2018, 7:17 am

Don't tell him Pike!

Cardiff Dave

Posts : 6518
Join date : 2011-11-29
Location : Cardiff reejun

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings

Post by The Oracle on Sat 05 May 2018, 9:55 am

mikey_dragon wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
The Oracle wrote:*More signings*

We’ve just announced the signings of Jacob Botica and Tiaan Loots from RGC. Christ, that’ll get the other regions frothing at the mouth again.

Well, well.

And I am always being told that the Welsh Premiership is not good enough to get players for regional rugby. Very Happy
The only thing more certain than Botica and Loots turning out to be garbage signings at this level is that Bowellais'd turn up to write this mangled bit of victim-hood. Next on the 606 stupid post bingo board to Mikey dragon telling us he 'rates' a player he's heard of but doesn't rate a player he hasn't heard of.

Who?


Grobler and Nansen, at a guess?
avatar
The Oracle

Posts : 1198
Join date : 2018-01-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings

Post by The Oracle on Sat 05 May 2018, 9:56 am

mikey_dragon wrote:Where do folk get the idea that Phil Price has become amazing overnight? He’s like fourth choice at Scarlets. Not a bad bit of business if you can get a player with his experience for cheap and have him as your fourth LH rather than a prem player.

Nicely misinterpreted there, Michael.
avatar
The Oracle

Posts : 1198
Join date : 2018-01-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings

Post by mikey_dragon on Sun 06 May 2018, 8:01 pm

The Oracle wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
The Oracle wrote:*More signings*

We’ve just announced the signings of Jacob Botica and Tiaan Loots from RGC. Christ, that’ll get the other regions frothing at the mouth again.

Well, well.

And I am always being told that the Welsh Premiership is not good enough to get players for regional rugby. Very Happy
The only thing more certain than Botica and Loots turning out to be garbage signings at this level is that Bowellais'd turn up to write this mangled bit of victim-hood. Next on the 606 stupid post bingo board to Mikey dragon telling us he 'rates' a player he's heard of but doesn't rate a player he hasn't heard of.

Who?


Grobler and Nansen, at a guess?

Well stone brains has it ass backwards then, as I've heard of Grobler and rate him. Hadn't heard of Nansen but never said I didn't rate him, just insinuated that I wasn't sold on him (like most of our signings).

mikey_dragon

Posts : 7228
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings

Post by mikey_dragon on Sun 06 May 2018, 8:07 pm

The Oracle wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:Where do folk get the idea that Phil Price has become amazing overnight? He’s like fourth choice at Scarlets. Not a bad bit of business if you can get a player with his experience for cheap and have him as your fourth LH rather than a prem player.

Nicely misinterpreted there, Michael.

I embellished a little Smile.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 7228
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings

Post by mikey_dragon on Thu 10 May 2018, 3:25 am

Nansen confirmed, on a two year deal. Anyone else notice how most/all our new signings are here for two years? I'm not sure that's enough time for a 'transformation' and if that is the case then none of them will re-sign.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 7228
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings

Post by Luckless Pedestrian on Thu 10 May 2018, 10:28 am

Are contracts usually longer than that? I can't say I pay attention to that kind of thing.

Luckless Pedestrian

Posts : 22780
Join date : 2011-02-01
Age : 39
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings

Post by munkian on Thu 10 May 2018, 10:35 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Are contracts usually longer than that? I can't say I pay attention to that kind of thing.

There's nothing unusual about a two year contract. Hes been on the glue again.
avatar
munkian

Posts : 8089
Join date : 2011-04-01
Age : 37
Location : Bristol/The Port

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings

Post by VinceWLB on Thu 10 May 2018, 10:54 am

I doubt many if any team would offer someone of unproven quality like Nansen more than a couple of years.

VinceWLB

Posts : 3780
Join date : 2012-10-14

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings

Post by munkian on Thu 10 May 2018, 10:55 am

VinceWLB wrote:I doubt many if any team would offer someone of unproven quality like Nansen more than a couple of years.

Exactly, it would have been worrying if it was on a year or three years.

avatar
munkian

Posts : 8089
Join date : 2011-04-01
Age : 37
Location : Bristol/The Port

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings

Post by RiscaGame on Thu 10 May 2018, 11:51 am

Nah, two year contracts are very standard for us. That’s why I found it quite funny when Dorian got a longer term one off his old man Wink

I know Jackman rates Nansen very highly, even without the quotes from yesterday. I’m led to believe he hasn’t even been made available to our Premiership teams, whereas others have.

RiscaGame

Posts : 2045
Join date : 2016-01-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings

Post by Stone Motif on Thu 10 May 2018, 12:27 pm

RiscaGame wrote:Nah, two year contracts are very standard for us. That’s why I found it quite funny when Dorian got a longer term one off his old man Wink

I know Jackman rates Nansen very highly, even without the quotes from yesterday. I’m led to believe he hasn’t even been made available to our Premiership teams, whereas others have.
They are standard for us, but the more cynically minded might note that our entire squad will be out of contract around about the time the three years to turn it around period runs out...
avatar
Stone Motif

Posts : 2623
Join date : 2012-03-26
Location : Gwent Region

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings

Post by RiscaGame on Thu 10 May 2018, 12:54 pm

Well yes, that has crossed my mind. I’m not sure I could handle another reset though, or another first season free pass.

RiscaGame

Posts : 2045
Join date : 2016-01-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings

Post by The Oracle on Thu 10 May 2018, 1:43 pm

I think the suggestion is more bleak than that, Risca. At the end of the 3 years we could see the end of the Dragons altogether, and an end of rugby at RP if the WRU decide their experiment doesn’t work. They can ‘move’ their experiment to a different area, should they wish, and make a tidy profit in selling RP as they got it for a cheap price as a rugby ground (rather than the bigger bucks it would attract as a housing development site).

But we knew this, even though it is still worrying. That was the gamble. Rugby for at least 3 more years vs no rugby at all (at RP) beyond 2017.
avatar
The Oracle

Posts : 1198
Join date : 2018-01-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings

Post by munkian on Thu 10 May 2018, 1:54 pm

We'll be fine Shocked
avatar
munkian

Posts : 8089
Join date : 2011-04-01
Age : 37
Location : Bristol/The Port

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings

Post by Stone Motif on Thu 10 May 2018, 2:25 pm

The Oracle wrote:I think the suggestion is more bleak than that, Risca. At the end of the 3 years we could see the end of the Dragons altogether, and an end of rugby at RP if the WRU decide their experiment doesn’t work. They can ‘move’ their experiment to a different area, should they wish, and make a tidy profit in selling RP as they got it for a cheap price as a rugby ground (rather than the bigger bucks it would attract as a housing development site).

But we knew this, even though it is still worrying. That was the gamble. Rugby for at least 3 more years vs no rugby at all (at RP) beyond 2017.
It would need a massive climb down from the WRU though - a public admission that even they can't make regional rugby work - and the other mitigating factor is I don't think that land is worth as much as many think as housing.
avatar
Stone Motif

Posts : 2623
Join date : 2012-03-26
Location : Gwent Region

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings

Post by RiscaGame on Thu 10 May 2018, 6:05 pm

They’re making too much of the clubs in Gwent for them to can us. That is what I think of it anyway. Moving a team or starting one elsewhere won’t make a difference. It would just have to play catch up still, if Jackman’s three year masterplan hasn’t worked. If his masterplan didn’t, they’d be partly to blame anyway. Gatland lumbered us with him Wink

RiscaGame

Posts : 2045
Join date : 2016-01-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings

Post by The Oracle on Thu 10 May 2018, 6:21 pm

Fingers crossed! Fingers Crossed
avatar
The Oracle

Posts : 1198
Join date : 2018-01-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings

Post by The Oracle on Thu 10 May 2018, 6:29 pm

Stone Motif wrote:
The Oracle wrote:I think the suggestion is more bleak than that, Risca. At the end of the 3 years we could see the end of the Dragons altogether, and an end of rugby at RP if the WRU decide their experiment doesn’t work. They can ‘move’ their experiment to a different area, should they wish, and make a tidy profit in selling RP as they got it for a cheap price as a rugby ground (rather than the bigger bucks it would attract as a housing development site).

But we knew this, even though it is still worrying. That was the gamble. Rugby for at least 3 more years vs no rugby at all (at RP) beyond 2017.
It would need a massive climb down from the WRU though - a public admission that even they can't make regional rugby work - and the other mitigating factor is I don't think that land is worth as much as many think as housing.

This is true. They’d need to admit failure, which might not be palatable to the WRU. Could be a saving factor!

In terms of the land, that could be the case too. However, I remember something before the ‘intervention’ and the buyout that the land was valued differently as a sporting concern with a stadium on it (not sure if I’m using the correct lingo here!) than as a plot of land for building houses on. Not sure why, or even if it’s true, but remember something about it previously.
avatar
The Oracle

Posts : 1198
Join date : 2018-01-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings

Post by Stone Motif on Thu 10 May 2018, 7:49 pm

The value as a stadium especially with no tenant is not going to be much. Housing you'd need consent, probably land remediation, and definitely significant infrastructure investment to make it work - I know the Taylor wimpey development along the bank wasn't that profitable hence the high density and massing of the dwellings to cram in the units. Might change with the tolls dropping but you won't get away with too much massing as you start to bang up against the existing residential around the ground. Also big assumption the city council would accept it, they've published a precis of their city centre master plan that identifies sport and leisure as the economic future for that side of the river.
avatar
Stone Motif

Posts : 2623
Join date : 2012-03-26
Location : Gwent Region

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings

Post by mikey_dragon on Fri 11 May 2018, 4:35 am

munkian wrote:
Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Are contracts usually longer than that? I can't say I pay attention to that kind of thing.

There's nothing unusual about a two year contract. Hes been on the glue again.

http://www.the42.ie/rhys-webb-toulon-3640048-Oct2017/

Wish someone would offer you a long-term contract to Calais.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 7228
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings

Post by mikey_dragon on Fri 11 May 2018, 4:39 am

The Oracle wrote:I think the suggestion is more bleak than that, Risca. At the end of the 3 years we could see the end of the Dragons altogether, and an end of rugby at RP if the WRU decide their experiment doesn’t work. They can ‘move’ their experiment to a different area, should they wish, and make a tidy profit in selling RP as they got it for a cheap price as a rugby ground (rather than the bigger bucks it would attract as a housing development site).

But we knew this, even though it is still worrying. That was the gamble. Rugby for at least 3 more years vs no rugby at all (at RP) beyond 2017.

WRU upping sticks and moving to Merthyr I heard. Merthyr/Ponty region based in Merthyr.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 7228
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings

Post by The Oracle on Fri 11 May 2018, 8:04 am

mikey_dragon wrote:
The Oracle wrote:I think the suggestion is more bleak than that, Risca. At the end of the 3 years we could see the end of the Dragons altogether, and an end of rugby at RP if the WRU decide their experiment doesn’t work. They can ‘move’ their experiment to a different area, should they wish, and make a tidy profit in selling RP as they got it for a cheap price as a rugby ground (rather than the bigger bucks it would attract as a housing development site).

But we knew this, even though it is still worrying. That was the gamble. Rugby for at least 3 more years vs no rugby at all (at RP) beyond 2017.

WRU upping sticks and moving to Merthyr I heard. Merthyr/Ponty region based in Merthyr.

A joke, I hope?!
avatar
The Oracle

Posts : 1198
Join date : 2018-01-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings

Post by munkian on Fri 11 May 2018, 9:18 am

Youth is no excuse for Dragons' woes, as coaches we underperformed - Connor
avatar
munkian

Posts : 8089
Join date : 2011-04-01
Age : 37
Location : Bristol/The Port

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings

Post by The Oracle on Fri 11 May 2018, 10:07 am

Have we announced a new backs coach yet? Can’t for the life of me remember!
avatar
The Oracle

Posts : 1198
Join date : 2018-01-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings

Post by Luckless Pedestrian on Fri 11 May 2018, 10:16 am

Not that I've heard.

Luckless Pedestrian

Posts : 22780
Join date : 2011-02-01
Age : 39
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings

Post by munkian on Fri 11 May 2018, 10:17 am

Same here, hopefully its not another of his mates.
avatar
munkian

Posts : 8089
Join date : 2011-04-01
Age : 37
Location : Bristol/The Port

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings

Post by Luckless Pedestrian on Fri 11 May 2018, 11:21 am

It's an important appointment, so it's good that they're taking their time. Either that or everyone they've approached so far has turned them down.  Sad

Luckless Pedestrian

Posts : 22780
Join date : 2011-02-01
Age : 39
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings

Post by munkian on Fri 11 May 2018, 11:34 am

We have player/coach SuperGav shewerley ?
avatar
munkian

Posts : 8089
Join date : 2011-04-01
Age : 37
Location : Bristol/The Port

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings

Post by mikey_dragon on Sat 12 May 2018, 12:02 am

The Oracle wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
The Oracle wrote:I think the suggestion is more bleak than that, Risca. At the end of the 3 years we could see the end of the Dragons altogether, and an end of rugby at RP if the WRU decide their experiment doesn’t work. They can ‘move’ their experiment to a different area, should they wish, and make a tidy profit in selling RP as they got it for a cheap price as a rugby ground (rather than the bigger bucks it would attract as a housing development site).

But we knew this, even though it is still worrying. That was the gamble. Rugby for at least 3 more years vs no rugby at all (at RP) beyond 2017.

WRU upping sticks and moving to Merthyr I heard. Merthyr/Ponty region based in Merthyr.

A joke, I hope?!

Definitely a joke.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 7228
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings

Post by Brendan on Sat 12 May 2018, 1:54 pm

Knowing the struggles Dragons are having I don't think that the WRU would want to start from scratch and be where the dragons are now in 10 years.

While the jury is out on Jackman the squad for next year will be a lot better than this year and the young guys will be a year older. I am not expecting Dragons to make the playoffs but would expect them to be hard to beat home or away. As Connacht and Edinburgh have shown if you can get all your games close it doesn't take much the next season to win a lot of those games.

If worse comes to the worse the WRU could sell it to the SRU as they need somewhere to put all their left over players.

Brendan

Posts : 1959
Join date : 2012-04-08
Location : Cork

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings

Post by Stone Motif on Sat 12 May 2018, 2:35 pm

Brendan wrote:Knowing the struggles Dragons are having I don't think that the WRU would want to start from scratch and be where the dragons are now in 10 years.

While the jury is out on Jackman the squad for next year will be a lot better than this year and the young guys will be a year older.  I am not expecting Dragons to make the playoffs but would expect them to be hard to beat home or away.  As Connacht and Edinburgh have shown if you can get all your games close it doesn't take much the next season to win a lot of those games.

If worse comes to the worse the WRU could sell it to the SRU as they need somewhere to put all their left over players.
I'd love to hear exactly where and why our squad is 'a lot better than this year'?
avatar
Stone Motif

Posts : 2623
Join date : 2012-03-26
Location : Gwent Region

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings

Post by Stone Motif on Sun 13 May 2018, 9:13 am

See a bunch of the released 19 are signing for Bargoed. In a way, if the percentage of this lot that sign for better clubs stays low, kinda vindicates Jackman's assessment of them, if not the way he handled it. So far only Price to Scarlets confirmed and Meyer to Blues rumoured?
avatar
Stone Motif

Posts : 2623
Join date : 2012-03-26
Location : Gwent Region

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings

Post by RiscaGame on Mon 14 May 2018, 5:30 pm

Yeah, saw that. This seems to be a bit of a trend at the minute though, clubs signing pro players. Be some clubs a bit worried if they don’t survive the drop once the ringfencing ends. It sounds like the Premiership might be even more interesting next season anyway.

Can’t pretend to be a big fan of Buckley really though. Plus when they’re signing the likes of big bad Bryce Morgan too, it’s not that good a standard Wink

RiscaGame

Posts : 2045
Join date : 2016-01-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings

Post by Stone Motif on Wed 16 May 2018, 2:38 pm

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport/16227782.O_Brien_earns_Scarlets_move_after_Dragons_exit/

We can add AoB to the official list of players good enough to play for much better teams but not good enough for Banned Snackman. Shame, good player.
avatar
Stone Motif

Posts : 2623
Join date : 2012-03-26
Location : Gwent Region

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 16 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum