Post Ashes England Cricket discussion - ODIs and the NZ squads

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Post Ashes England Cricket discussion - ODIs and the NZ squads

Post by Dolphin Ziggler on Wed 10 Jan 2018, 9:25 pm

First topic message reminder :

As Olly roundly predicted (and I can tell you, he aggressively told people), England have stormed the Ashes and now move forwards to a one-day series with the Aussies.

Tonight, they name the squad for New Zealand, with Vince expected to keep his place for more convincing knocks, whilst Liam Livingstone is tipped to get the call too.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Re: Post Ashes England Cricket discussion - ODIs and the NZ squads

Post by Gooseberry on Sun 21 Jan 2018, 9:53 pm

Duty281 wrote:
Duty281 wrote:Should be a good ODI series, one that I make England narrow favourites for; 11/4 is an excellent price.

One day, bookmakers will learn about the game of cricket, and start pricing it correctly.

Until then, however, it’s all gravy...

Well done England!

Too be fair they probably werent banking on the Aussie selectors trolling their own side.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea on Mon 22 Jan 2018, 1:37 pm

Afternoon everyone. England's ODI side really goes from strength to strength. I think their win yesterday was one of the more impressive ones considering Plunkett's injury, which with Stokes's absence left us very short on bowling. I know people complain about Morgan's batting form, but he's certainly a very astute captain, and has managed his resources extremely well in the three games so far. Buttler's innings was superb, some of the straight sixes he hit were ridiculous.

Australia's ODI side has a balance problem for me. We saw in the second ODI that only picking three bowlers isn't really that viable (England could have chased 50 more with few problems IMO, and that was with Starc on song). However, while Cummins is a good blocker, he doesn't quite have the range of shots for an ODI number 8, and Starc at 8 is a place too high. Their keepers aren't great ODI batsmen either (Paine's effort yesterday particularly gash). This means that if they want to play four out-and-out bowlers as they did yesterday, their batting looks a bit vulnerable. Warner, Finch and Smith are good players, albeit Smith struggled a bit to find the gaps yesterday. Beyond that though? Head, White, Maxwell, etc. all decent enough, but none a top 4-5 bat IMO. Maybe worth considering Handscombe, who's played some decent T20 knocks in the Big Bash.

For England, of course, it's looking quite rosy. Interesting to see who they go with to replace Plunkett, and whether they think about a spot of rotation in the remaining games now the series is won, e.g. Malan and/or Billings into the side, giving the likes of Root or Bairstow a rest. And then there's the question of who Stokes comes in for when/if he's back in contention. Logical step is to leave out Hales, harsh as that may seem. They'd like Moeen to get a few runs though. Got a great ball in the second game, but his innings in the third looked pretty horrible.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat on Mon 22 Jan 2018, 4:25 pm

Hi MfC - I would expect Tom Curran to replace Plunkett. Morgan was quoted before the first ODI as saying that Curran would play then if we didn't choose two spinners. Unless something has changed out of public view, that puts the Surrey youngster next in line.

I doubt there'll be other changes in the England line up for the next ODI. From comments he's made, my impression is that Morgan's current focus is far more on winning than rest and rotation.

Very much at one with your other points, particularly Australia's ODI side lacking balance.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea on Tue 23 Jan 2018, 11:37 am

Hi guildford, I wasn't aware of the comments regarding Curran for the first ODI, but with that in mind I agree that Curran will probably play. I suppose it's possible they may go for Willey for variety, but with only three seamers in the side you really want all three to be comfortable bowling at the death, so that's another tick for Curran. I was impressed by his batting in the Test series, so England won't lose any batting depth over the sub. They will however miss Plunkett's wicket-taking ability in the middle-overs IMO, so important that Wood (who becomes the main option there) is managed well.

Re resting players, it's been announced that Root is being rested for the T20s, so that IMO puts paid to any idea of him being left out for any of the remaining games. Looks like Malan and Billings will have to wait for their opportunity (may come in the T20s of course).

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Tue 23 Jan 2018, 10:43 pm

Sam curran called up for the T20 tri series
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly on Wed 24 Jan 2018, 1:41 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Sam curran called up for the T20 tri series

I actually rate Sam Curran and think he is a worthy addition to the T20 squad.
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 on Fri 26 Jan 2018, 3:53 am

England 8/5!

From the sublime to the ludicrous.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry on Fri 26 Jan 2018, 6:14 am

Its going to happen once in a while, and lets face it they will have switched off slightly.

More runs for Woakes but a bit pointless it seems.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly on Fri 26 Jan 2018, 6:35 am

Fair dues to Tom Curran here, get over 200 and England still have a chance.
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Fri 26 Jan 2018, 8:22 am

How Australia leave out Glenn Maxwell, but continue to pick Cameron White is truly beyond me
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly on Fri 26 Jan 2018, 10:03 am

England are still in this, shame for Head as he deserved a century today.
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig on Fri 26 Jan 2018, 10:08 am

Hmm Rashid taking more wickets than Ali...AGAIN. Adding fuel to the fire of why Ali is automatic first choice spinner at test level.
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Fri 26 Jan 2018, 10:16 am

England bowlers needed to be perfect, but unfortunately Wood has been off form with the ball today - far too many loose deliveries
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Fri 26 Jan 2018, 10:16 am

CaledonianCraig wrote:Hmm Rashid taking more wickets than Ali...AGAIN. Adding fuel to the fire of why Ali is automatic first choice spinner at test level.

Not sure if you've noticed Craig, but this is an ODI thumbsup
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig on Fri 26 Jan 2018, 10:28 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:Hmm Rashid taking more wickets than Ali...AGAIN. Adding fuel to the fire of why Ali is automatic first choice spinner at test level.

And? The purpose remains to get wickets. I think if you check both their stats then Rashid takes his wickets at a better rate but is slightly more expensive than Ali. But taking wickets is the name of the game.
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Fri 26 Jan 2018, 10:47 am

CaledonianCraig wrote:
Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:

And? The purpose remains to get wickets. I think if you check both their stats then Rashid takes his wickets at a better rate but is slightly more expensive than Ali. But taking wickets is the name of the game.

Well ODI cricket and test cricket are completely different. I don't see how someone taking wickets in an ODI, should merit discussion about test cricket.

It will merit discussion about Ali's place in the ODI side once Stokes returns. Do you drop Ali and keep five bowlers, or do you drop Hales/Roy and go back to the 6 bowler formula?
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by LivinginItaly on Fri 26 Jan 2018, 3:57 pm

While it's true that ODIs are very different from tests and some good performances in one don't necessarily mean you should be included in the other format, I do think that a serious argument could be made for picking Rashid over Ali in the test team. Seems though for some reason the India tour damaged Rashid's prospects pushing him down the pecking order.

LivinginItaly

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Fri 26 Jan 2018, 4:01 pm

I think Rashid should definitely be in the squad ahead of Crane - for me, not having him in the squad for this winter is easily the worst and most consequential selection decision England have made for Aus/NZ.
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey on Fri 26 Jan 2018, 6:39 pm

Delighted, obviously, to see both Curran boys officially in the England set up Hug . With a combined age seven years more than Cameron White, time is very much on their, and England's, side, even if neither plays much or tears up trees for England later this winter. And they bring the best out of each other, too.

For those who've not seen him much, Sam has serious pace and great variation: ideally suited to both forms of the shorter game. He also can swing the ball sharply and late into right handers (he's a leftie, btw): plenty of lbw shouts. And he's a better bat than his big brother - though Tom's batting's let no-one down this winter. At his best, Sam's almost unplayable. He nearly had a wicket every ball of his second over (a treble-wicket maiden, in any case) in this T20 game last season: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/scorecard/ECKO41233

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle on Fri 26 Jan 2018, 7:11 pm

Chill out a bit Simon! 'Serious pace' and 'nearly unplayable' are taking it a bit too far. He is an exciting talent, but every time I have seen he has been in the low 80s pace wise and I would reserve the nearly unplayable tag to a Mitchell Johnson or Dale Steyn - not Sam Curran.

Has always swung it when I have seen him though, which is crucial. And even in the short term he could be an upgrade on David Willey in the 'swing it back to right handers early on' role - plus being a better bat, as Willey is essentially a walking wicket against International bowlers. Look forward to following his career with interest though, as his ceiling looks much higher than his brothers.

Re. Rashid, is he better than Crane? At the moment, yes. Would picking him in the Ashes squad made a blind bit of difference to the result? No, not really. His biggest problem being he averages 60 bowling in the first or second innings of Tests matches, and he isn't good enough later on the be carried that far. Crucial cog in the ODI side though.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig on Fri 26 Jan 2018, 7:24 pm

Well one thing is sure. If England choose to stick with Ali as their no 1 spinner for future tours do not expect any tour wins. He is just not up to it and to win in India and Australia you need a spin option capable of taking a good consistent amount of wickets and that ain't Ali.
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey on Fri 26 Jan 2018, 7:26 pm

Sorry jdizzle, fair comment: haven't had the first beer of the weekend yet. Sam C has moments - not yet prolonged periods, granted - where he does hit the exceptional heights I mentioned. That over v Glos was extraordinary. He beat all four top of the order batsmen to whom he bowled that over for sheer pace on a wicket that was, if anything, on the slow side. He might not do it often yet but he does have these moments of genuine 'blimey, where did that come from?!'. Aside from that, he's just very promising - outrageously so for a teenager. Curiously, he's quite a short bloke to bowl fast these days, about 5' 9''. Let's see how he gets on.

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat on Fri 26 Jan 2018, 8:35 pm

JD - well done and thanks for beating Goose in replying to Simon! Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Sat 27 Jan 2018, 8:09 am

I have the strong impression that England wish to reserve Rashid for the limited over caper - at which he is very successful . 
He did take Test wickets in India : but at heavy cost ; and I think the feeling was that he tended to take them too late...not so much when they were needed. Whether or not this is fair I'm not certain. I never had the feeling that he was exactly pressuring the batsmen... But India's batsmen are quite well equipped to deal with his type of bowler - others might be less so .

Ten Tests isn't a huge sample.  Question is now I suppose whether or not he gets another opportunity in Sri Lanka at end of year or whether they will have "moved on ".  Selection of Crane this year might suggest  they have ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Sun 28 Jan 2018, 4:47 am

Looks a good pitch to bat on today, bit of inconsistent bounce - both Roy and Bairstow have gotten in and given away their wickets softly, Bairstow rather lazily chopping onto his stumps off Starc
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Sun 28 Jan 2018, 5:13 am

And now Hales gets in and out for a start - England going ok at 151-3 off 26, but really would’ve liked one of the top three to make that big score once in
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Sun 28 Jan 2018, 5:24 am

Getting bounced out by Mitchell Marsh probably a fitting way for the tour to end
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Sun 28 Jan 2018, 5:57 am

And now Buttler gets in and then out - not gonna win many games with 20/30/40’s, especially when you’re playing your backup seamers
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig on Sun 28 Jan 2018, 6:17 am

All started well but is falling apart. Ali holes out to Zampa. England need a partnership here.
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig on Sun 28 Jan 2018, 6:20 am

England will do pretty well to reach 275 from here. 220 for 6.
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig on Sun 28 Jan 2018, 6:30 am

Fifty up for Root. He is just about holding this innings together. England 234 for 6 from 43 overs. Root 54 Rashid 9
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig on Sun 28 Jan 2018, 6:34 am

Rashid run out by Smith for 12. England 238 for 7.
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig on Sun 28 Jan 2018, 6:43 am

Willey caught in the deep for 2. England 245 for 8.Can England bat out the full 50 overs??
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig on Sun 28 Jan 2018, 6:52 am

Root caught on the boundary exits for 62. England 258 for 9 from 47.1 overs. Looks like they won't bat out their overs.
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Sun 28 Jan 2018, 6:53 am

Made a bit of a pig's ear of this...

After that start they must have been looking at 340. Now it looks as if they'll struggle to bat the fifty overs. I know they play that way ; but really Hales , Morgan and Buttler all rather gave their wickets away when they could have been a bit more selective. As for Moeen I really have to wonder why he's playing...there must come a time when you recognize a man just needs a rest.

Also why does Curran bat after Rashid and Willey ? Form is form , surely ?

Root out. Won't last the fifty now and 300 is a distant dream.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig on Sun 28 Jan 2018, 6:56 am

Andrew Tye the star for Australia gets a Michelle Pfieffer bowling Ball out. England bowled out for 259 in 47.4 overs.

You feel that is maybe 20 runs short of a tricky target but the pitch does look lively.
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Sun 28 Jan 2018, 6:59 am

England stumbling to a score around 250ish has got me all nostalgic

Bairstow, Hales, Morgan, Buttler and Ali all gifted their wickets, 3 of them once set.

Joe Root yet again failing to convert a fifty into a hundred Whistle Wink
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Sun 28 Jan 2018, 7:00 am

All out ...fifty short of what they should have made , I reckon.

As Craig says , there is some life in the deck. But with the forgotten Ball and Willey in for Woakes and Wood I fancy Australia will chase this down pretty easily.

Not sure England have been totally focused since they took a 3-0 lead.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig on Sun 28 Jan 2018, 7:19 am

Having no Woakes, Wood or Plunkett in the attack will surely be the straw that broke the camel's back. I would be surprised if Australia don't chase this down around the 45 over mark.
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Sun 28 Jan 2018, 7:47 am

Bairstow drops the simplest of slip catches off Curran to reprieve Head

Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig on Sun 28 Jan 2018, 7:48 am

Yes that was a golden chance. England cannot afgord to let chances like that slip.
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig on Sun 28 Jan 2018, 7:50 am

A yorker from Tom Curran bowls David Warner for 15. Australia 24 for 1. A similar start to the innings as England had.
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Sun 28 Jan 2018, 7:51 am

Early drop not the best start...but that was a nice piece of bowling from Curran to remove the dangerous Warner !
Think he'll get a bit more bowling today than on Friday...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig on Sun 28 Jan 2018, 8:06 am

Australia, you feel, just need to bat out their overs here. They are 41 for 1 after 7 overs.
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig on Sun 28 Jan 2018, 8:36 am

A needless run-out for Australia when they were coasting. Australia now 86 for 2.
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Sun 28 Jan 2018, 8:58 am

Smith will want some runs today...survived a confident stumping appeal by a whisker and is looking steady enough.
They're in no hurry : as long as they don't lose careless wickets as England did they should run this down without too much trouble. Stoinis has played well. England need two Rashids.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig on Sun 28 Jan 2018, 9:06 am

alfie wrote:  England need two Rashids.

Will one Rashid and one Ali do??
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Sun 28 Jan 2018, 9:10 am

Smith doesn't survive the second stumping ! One for Moeen to keep England just about in the game...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig on Sun 28 Jan 2018, 9:11 am

And on typing that Ali snares Steven Smith.Smith's troubles with soin in this series continues. Australia 119 for 3 and still in firm control after 21.4 overs.
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Sun 28 Jan 2018, 9:11 am

CaledonianCraig wrote:
alfie wrote:  England need two Rashids.

Will one Rashid and one Ali do??

Smile

Going to have to...that's a good start anyway.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum