Post by sirbenson on Tue 16 Jan 2018, 4:26 pm

First topic message reminder :

Selected tee times

Last edited by sirbenson on Sun 04 Mar 2018, 11:50 pm; edited 4 times in total

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Re: European Tour 2018

Post by GPB on Fri 13 Apr 2018, 10:23 pm

Not too many Spanish Tournaments on the EuroT schedule these days. Imagine that Sergio's absence is a bit disappointing to the organizers.

I noticed that Japan's Yusaku Miyazato is playing this week and next week in Morocco.

Japan's first domestic tournament of the year is this week. Not one of Japan's highest ranked players are in the field. Ryo Ishikawa is the 36 hole leader, by 4 shots.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H on Sat 14 Apr 2018, 12:00 am

Wonder if the JGT’s stranglehold on their players is starting to loosen slightly. Hideki is obviously mainly US based now. Tanihara, Miyazato, Kataoka and Kodaira (playing well at Hilton Head) are all increasingly popping up in Europe and the rest of Asia.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB on Fri 20 Apr 2018, 3:02 pm

Alvaro Quiros is leading the Eurotour tournament midway through Rd2.

He won in Sicily 11 months ago. Then missed 7 cuts in a row...and then a WD....and then a T62.

He has only one Top 60 finish since that win in Week 20, 2017, a T19 in Qatar.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB on Fri 20 Apr 2018, 3:46 pm

Remember 18 months ago when the Ryder Cup pundits and Talking Heads said that Rory has found his future Ryder Cup partner in Thomas Pieters?

Thomas Pieters is on the cutline in Morocco.

He has played 9 events on the PGATour (5 of them no-cut events with guaranteed FEX pts) and is 137th on the FEX list.

Pieters is 33rd in World Points list for the Ryder Cup, 39th in Euro Points.

Not only does it not look like Pieters is going to make the Ryder Cup, it looks like he is on the fast track of losing his PGATour playing privileges.

He is not qualified for the Players, and if his form continues he will be out of the Top 60 and not qualified for either the US Open or Bridgestone

since he is playing Morocco this week, I wonder if he is Danny Willett-ing his pgatour card, not even going to try to play the required 15 events.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H on Fri 20 Apr 2018, 5:08 pm

Pieters is reminding me at this point more of Thorbjorn Olesen than anyone else. Very easy for early-20s Europeans to think they’ve cracked America with a couple of good Major or WGC results, and not realise the grind they’ll need to put in if they actually want to maintain a card over there. Just because you got a 6th place in the Masters or Open last year, doesn’t mean you can do it again this year, and the regular tour events are no easier to get high finishes in. Rory is the exception, but most of the Europeans who play both tours either spent a couple of years establishing themselves in the top 50, like Poulter or Molinari, or were experienced tour pros by the time they switched, like Rafa or Noren. Or they suffered the same struggles at first, like Rose.

I’m sure Pieters will still have a decent Euro career, but I’d say he’s probably no better than evens to ever have success in the US. A few years back Olesen looked certain to, and now he seems set in Europe for good.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer on Fri 20 Apr 2018, 5:20 pm

The weird thing w/Pieters is that his form of 1 - 2 years ago was no fluke; he's always said he's happier to live in Europe but now his form has completely deserted him. Never seen a reason offered as to why.
At least we knew Colsaerts was playing thru injuries, but haven't heard a word on TP.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Sun 22 Apr 2018, 9:23 pm

Levy doing himself no harm in being in with a better shout of being the token Frog in Paris.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer on Sun 22 Apr 2018, 11:42 pm

No owgr points in play on the PGA Tour next week in New Orleans, so there's a big chance for European Tour opportunists playing in China (you couldn't make it up) to secure enough owgr points to earn exemption into The Players, and help towards Us Open & Open Champ qualification.

Paul Dunne, for instance, could do himself a lot of good.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro on Mon 23 Apr 2018, 12:20 pm

super_realist wrote:Levy doing himself no harm in being in with a better shout of being the token Frog in Paris.
Levy Fingers Crossed

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer on Mon 23 Apr 2018, 1:28 pm

Levy certainly enhances his chances as now he'll be in The Players and, almost certainly, the US Open, to go with The Open and PGA. Not sure though about the WGC-Bridgestone, but decent results over the next couple of months should take care of that too even if his "Morocco" win doesn't do the trick..

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by wiretapper on Mon 23 Apr 2018, 2:39 pm

I like the idea of a Frenchman playing in the Ryder Cup this year. It helps generated local interest and gives the home crowd one of their own to cheer on.

I don't think there should be one for the sake of it but Levy has shown he is a good player and if his form keeps up, even if he doesn't make it automatically, I'm all for him getting a pick.

wiretapper

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong on Tue 24 Apr 2018, 6:11 am

Think he should reconsider.....LINK HERE

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro on Tue 24 Apr 2018, 8:09 am

I'm never wrong wrote:Think he should reconsider.....LINK HERE
But I’m still available. I possess a highly varied skillset of slices and hooks, shanks and duffs, and I have no problem jingling my pocket change during Bubbas backswing. At least I promise to do better than Willetts brother (and Willett).

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Tue 24 Apr 2018, 8:36 am

Mac could play Tiger Moobs in the singles, seeing as no one wants to play with them in pairs.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H on Sun 29 Apr 2018, 2:35 pm

Good to see Alex Bjork get his first win today, he’s been knocking on the door for a while. Good all round game, might be an outsider for a Ryder Cup spot.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited on Tue 01 May 2018, 5:56 pm

GPB wrote:Can't wait for the Golf Sixes event next week in England!

The ET website doesn't even have entry list published for the event.

It is one of Pelley's good ideas.  Squeeze the gallery onto 6 holes to make it look larger.

hashtag Me too!

I went last year and it was great. My daughters are excited about going again this year so the ET is doing something right. There is no way they would be interested in going to the BMW PGA, the Open or a regular ET event.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited on Tue 01 May 2018, 6:00 pm

I am very interested to see how the women do against the men, I'd like to see some of them compete and succeed fairly. Although a lot will depend on how far forward they bring the tees.

Going forward I would like to see this as a mixed pairs event one year.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H on Tue 01 May 2018, 10:01 pm

Doesn’t do it for me, but if it’s only for one or two weeks of the year I can cope with it. I enjoy the regular strokeplay events, I’m open to the possibility of variations but this particular one does nothing for me. But if it gets new fans them I can sacrifice a week or two of the events I do like.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited on Thu 10 May 2018, 1:21 pm

raycastleunited wrote:
GPB wrote:Can't wait for the Golf Sixes event next week in England!

The ET website doesn't even have entry list published for the event.

It is one of Pelley's good ideas.  Squeeze the gallery onto 6 holes to make it look larger.

hashtag Me too!

I went last year and it was great. My daughters are excited about going again this year so  the ET is doing something right. There is no way they would be interested in going to the BMW PGA, the Open or a regular ET event.

Brief report...
- I went on Saturday for the group stages. Helped by the success of last year and beautiful sunny weather (25 degrees) the crowds were larger this year, but still plenty of good opportunities to get close to the action.
- Quality of the golf was excellent, especially from the Hull / Hall combo. The England ladies team was probably the most popular in the field, the match v England men had the biggest galleries of the day. The rest of the field wasn't exactly stellar, which did lower the interest levels somewhat.
- Was impressed with Charley Hull's ball striking, and she really gives it a lash with the driver. The women's tees were 30-60 yards forward on the par 4's/5's but on a couple of holes the men were still able to knock it 30 yards past the women.
- Great atmosphere on the 1st tee, with stands to create a little amphitheatre, and children (including my own) down on the tee crowding around to cheer and high five the players.
- Loads to do in the fanzone, from 6 hole pitch and putt, longest drive, putting comps to basketball, tennis, cricket and football games. AG also on site offering free lessons and club fitting.
- All in, a fun day out and perfect intro to professional golf. If Pelley wants to broaden the appeal of the ET, mixing in these types of event is the way forward.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong on Sun 13 May 2018, 9:43 pm

Anthony Wall has announced his retirement.HERE on Twitter

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro on Thu 17 May 2018, 2:23 pm

"Belgian Knockout".. Is Jean-Claude Van Damme around?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB on Sun 20 May 2018, 4:05 pm

Is Thomas Bjorn considering Adrian Otaegui as a Captains pick for the Ryder Cup?

Two professional Match Play wins on his resume in the last 10 months.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer on Sun 20 May 2018, 4:19 pm

I quite enjoyed that, prefer it to the Sixes as an individual event and definitely a place for this in the ET schedule. Congrats to Thomas Pieters. Campillo and Otaegui slowly creeping up thru the owgr's, at least five Espanas in the Top 100 now.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H on Sun 20 May 2018, 6:14 pm

Seems to have been an excellent event, particularly enjoyed the sixball playing for five qualifying spots on Friday evening, as mentioned in another thread by Kwini. Only criticism I have is that this week’s Challenge Tour event was a parallel format but with matchplay rather than head to head strokeplay. Surely having got as far as holding both the same week, you’d co-ordinate the formats exactly? That said, I’d happily see both variations having a slot in the “home” stretch of the Euro season.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong on Thu 24 May 2018, 9:54 am

Tried to do an update to my laptop last night. Didn't work and I can't get it to work. Put a call into tech support. It's also raining, so I will just have to sit and wait for the phone call, and watch the golf. Oh dear, how sad, never mind. Very Happy Very Happy

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho on Fri 25 May 2018, 11:45 am

When Mcilroy is good, he is very very good!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB on Fri 25 May 2018, 2:11 pm

beninho wrote:When Mcilroy is good, he is very very good!

Remember 18-20 months ago when Ryder Cup pundits said Rory had found his long term partner in 4ball and 4somes?

https://twitter.com/Spookyfish/status/999998571150823424

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer on Fri 25 May 2018, 6:52 pm

OK Boys, Time to get to work:

Lee: You go out with Rory & Alex, make 'em larf.
Padraig: Off you go, with Fish (he plays slow too so you'll be right at home) & Rafa
Robbie: See how young Chris Paisley's doing, plus see if Joost has fully recovered; both are way outsiders at the moment but I want to give everyone a look.
I'm going to take you, Graeme and see if we can't find you some form, plus we'll get Shane to join us, see how he's doing and make you feel slim again. And I'll make you feel better about your game.
Luke: Good of you to come over for this, you can be my mole, find out what the hell Tommy Pieters thinks he's doing. And don't worry about the fact that I can't break 80.

Cheers,
Thomas

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer on Sat 26 May 2018, 12:22 pm

Inspired by the ET blog:
Double eagle for Marcus Kinhult today:
One eagle on the 4th, another eagle on the 12th.

No albatross in sight . . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers on Sat 26 May 2018, 1:09 pm

Bit random but Robert Rock might be my favourite golfer. Seems a bit of a dude, just seems so chilled, pops up every now and again on a leaderboard...and rarely wears a cap which is nice to see, makes him stand out a bit. I'd say he is literally the polar opposite to Paul Casey. You might want Caseys golf game but I think I'd much prefer to be Robert Rock.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB on Sat 26 May 2018, 2:49 pm

The disparity between Majors/WGCs and regular EuroTour events is evidenced with #1 Patrick Reed having twice the money has #2 Sharma.

And Cam Smith is #10.  I wasn't even aware that he was a EuroTour member.

Last edited by GPB on Sat 26 May 2018, 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer on Sat 26 May 2018, 5:38 pm

Nice finish from Horsfield - best 21-year-old in the game? Or just behind Aaron Wise??
Fantastic leaderboard.

Rahm & Rose flying in Fort Worth - the RC qualifying places in store for a reshuffle.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Sun 27 May 2018, 9:16 am

Diggers wrote:Bit random but Robert Rock might be my favourite golfer. Seems a bit of a dude, just seems so chilled, pops up every now and again on a leaderboard...and rarely wears a cap which is nice to see, makes him stand out a bit. I'd say he is literally the polar opposite to Paul Casey. You might want Caseys golf game but I think I'd much prefer to be Robert Rock.

Funny how seldom you see a player not wearing a hat. You see how much they dislike it (at least the Europeans) when they choose not to wear them in the Ryder Cup.
You'd think that those that are so rich, could afford to ditch the cap sponsorship to feel more comfortable on the course. The yanks look like they sleep in theirs.

How many people here wear hats? I never do unless it's a wooly hat in winter.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB on Sun 27 May 2018, 12:21 pm

In the Summer heat, I had to wear a hat, mainly as a sweat rag. Nature decided that I would perspire mostly through my head rather than the rest of the body.

In moderate temps, I played w/o a hat, but had to apply copious amounts of SPF-50 on my chrome dome.

Whats up with the BMW-PGA going off in threesomes with the last group off at 11 am local time? Bad weather forecasted late in the afternoon?

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer on Sun 27 May 2018, 12:50 pm

Looks like yuuuge storms overnight, several posters on here struck by lightning apparently. Perhaps they are expecting more of the same this afternoon?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB on Sun 27 May 2018, 1:03 pm

kwinigolfer wrote: several posters on here struck by lightning apparently.

???

Tom Abbott just mentioned some possible storms later today.

The players are hustling around Wentworth today. Rory and Sam played in 4 hr 10 minutes yesterday in the last groups.

Rory, Frankie and Fish are trending to play 18 in about 4 hrs 20 minutes as they are the 9th tee 2 hours into their round.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer on Sun 27 May 2018, 1:32 pm

Tom Abbott could be a good commentator if he could somehow ration his words to about 25% of his usual drivel.

Someone needs to give Rory a kick up the arse, looking as if he has the kiss of defeat all around him.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy on Sun 27 May 2018, 1:38 pm

Man does Rory fall apart in the final rounds at the moment. Only player in Top 24 over par...much like the Masters he just cant seem to put it together at the moment. Telling that one the weather wasnt perfect his game has regressed.

Great ball striking from Molinari, making a case for the Ryder Cup team this year. Echo sentiments on Rock too, always seems like a class act and just all round good guy...one of those players you watch and wonder why he hasnt done more on the tour.

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB on Sun 27 May 2018, 1:43 pm

Earlier in the week, Tom Abbott said the River Thames flowed from East to West through London.

And he just reiterated what Iain Carter said, Rose was not playing BMW-PGA because he had to fulfill the new event obligation on the PGATour.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer on Sun 27 May 2018, 1:58 pm

Dyna always speaks well of Rock, and agree about hats. Though modification of various facial features makes me wear one occasionally now.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB on Sun 27 May 2018, 2:02 pm

Was looking at Wentworth on google maps.

About half the holes has a regular road crossing it. Not a cart path or a maintenance road, but a city street.

And there is region adjacent to Wentworth called Trump Gardens. And a road called Trump Gardens Rd.

That has to leave a mark.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Sun 27 May 2018, 2:14 pm

Sure you're on the correct course GPB? There's a couple there.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB on Sun 27 May 2018, 2:23 pm

Pretty sure

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.3960342,-0.6016098,1712m/data=!3m1!1e3

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong on Sun 27 May 2018, 4:44 pm

The course is on what’s called the Wentworth estate. When you play it - not in a tournament - you had to watch out for cars crossing the holes. They tended to poke their noses out and looked down the fairways.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited on Tue 29 May 2018, 11:08 am

GPB wrote:Was looking at Wentworth on google maps.

About half the holes has a regular road crossing it.  Not a cart path or a maintenance road, but a city street.

And there is region adjacent to Wentworth called Trump Gardens.  And a road called Trump Gardens Rd.

That has to leave a mark.

You're right there is a road through the course.... but it's not a regular city street rather a private drive to access the properties on the estate. It's only residents who will be using the road and as the houses are massive and well spaced out there is virtually no traffic (especially as most of them are owned by billionaire oligarchs who don't even live there).

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS on Fri 01 Jun 2018, 11:45 am

Nice to see Howeller stay injury free long enough to put a couple of decent rounds together. Should cement his place as Wiltshire’s current number 3 :-/

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB on Sat 02 Jun 2018, 3:51 pm

Pieters needs a solo 4th or better to get safely inside the Top 60 and a spot in the US Open.

J. Smith, Sully, and Oleson cannot reach the Top 60, even if they win.

Frankie can basically sew up a RC spot should he win.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB on Sun 03 Jun 2018, 1:25 pm

Dame Laura finishes about 44th on the European Senior Tour, beating among others Jose Maria Olazabal, Constantino Rocca, Philip Walton, Gordon Brand Jr, Anders Forsbrand, and Marc Farry.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro on Mon 04 Jun 2018, 10:09 am

GPB wrote:Dame Laura finishes about 44th on the European Senior Tour, beating among others Jose Maria Olazabal, Constantino Rocca, Philip Walton, Gordon Brand Jr, Anders Forsbrand, and Marc Farry.
She's more man than they are anyway.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by 4putt on Fri 08 Jun 2018, 12:30 am

Been watching the Shot Clock Masters from Austria. Not as interesting as I hoped it would be. Whilst it has speeded up play generally I think the time allowance is still too long with most shots being played with around 20 seconds still on the clock.

4putt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum