The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

European Tour 2018

+23
kouchi
Be_the_ball
4putt
JAS
owen10ozzy
Diggers
beninho
wiretapper
kwinigolfer
NedB-H
GPB
LadyPutt
BlueCoverman
Faldono1fan
navyblueshorts
raycastleunited
Shotrock
I'm never wrong
Roller_Coaster
McLaren
super_realist
pedro
sirbenson
27 posters

Page 5 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

European Tour 2018 - Page 5 Empty European Tour 2018

Post by sirbenson Tue 16 Jan 2018, 4:26 pm

First topic message reminder :

Selected tee times

Last edited by sirbenson on Sun 04 Mar 2018, 11:50 pm; edited 4 times in total

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

European Tour 2018 - Page 5 Empty Re: European Tour 2018

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 13 Jul 2018, 8:20 pm

Looks like he's off with Thongchai, supes. Probably a good pairing.

Thought Gullane looked fab, but they could use some wind tomorrow!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Fri 13 Jul 2018, 10:27 pm

Your wish is granted, Kwini. There’s a bit of a breeze forecast for tomorrow, with warm sunshine as well Cool Sunday should see more cloud, slightly cooler and slightly less breeze. Sadly we’ve got the first rain for a month forecast on Monday and I’m due to play the final of a knockout furious
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 14 Jul 2018, 12:35 am

LadyPutt wrote:Your wish is granted, Kwini. There’s a bit of a breeze forecast for tomorrow, with warm sunshine as well Cool Sunday should see more cloud, slightly cooler and slightly less breeze. Sadly we’ve got the first rain for a month forecast on Monday and I’m due to play the final of a knockout furious

Hopefully you'll get along to Gullane . . . . . . ?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Sat 14 Jul 2018, 3:45 pm

Unlikely. It’s the other side of the water and quite a way on from Edinburgh. If I could go “as the crow flies” it’s not that far, but rather wet! We’re unlikely to go to Carnoustie either, although it’s not that far but are planning to go to the Senior Open at St Andrews as it’s just up the road OK We get a better view on Sky TV and the drinks and food are cheaper Very Happy
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Sat 14 Jul 2018, 4:04 pm

I’m coming up, booked my tickets for Tue & Wed practice days and the 1st round Thurs. I’ve only played 2other courses more than Carnoustie, obviously know it relatively well so really looking forward to watching the Pro’s practice on it.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Sat 14 Jul 2018, 6:22 pm

JAS wrote:I’m coming up, booked my tickets for Tue & Wed practice days and the 1st round Thurs. I’ve only played 2other courses more than Carnoustie, obviously know it relatively well so really looking forward to watching the Pro’s practice on it.
Especially with the drought we’re having! Are you bringing your clubs? Do you fancy a game again?
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 14 Jul 2018, 7:12 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Looks like he's off with Thongchai, supes. Probably a good pairing.

Thought Gullane looked fab, but they could use some wind tomorrow!

Not too great a round today from Connor. Spoke to his mum today, she thought he felt under pressure from having (briefly) held the course record yesterday. Still a great first year he's having, and showing he's capable of contending. He'll learn how to cope with that side of things, but his game looks more than of a standard to succeed on the European Tour.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sat 14 Jul 2018, 7:26 pm

Had the Scottish Open the last 45 minutes. Almost every approach I’ve seen to 18 has gone long to a pin tucked back right, and clattered into a grandstand that can’t be more than 15 paces from the hole. Simple enough two putt from there with a chance of holing it, no wonder everyone’s going for the flag. Completely ridiculous.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Sat 14 Jul 2018, 8:11 pm

Did you see Robert Rock? Went through the green, hit the fence/grandstand and bounced back onto the green fairly near the flag.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sat 14 Jul 2018, 8:24 pm

Did see that not long after I posted Inw, he hit a worse shot than most, overclubbing it, so got a firmer bounce off the wall and got closer to the hole. Complete farce of a setup.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 14 Jul 2018, 8:42 pm

NedB-H wrote:Did see that not long after I posted Inw, he hit a worse shot than most, overclubbing it, so got a firmer bounce off the wall and got closer to the hole. Complete farce of a setup.

Tiger Moobs would love that.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Sun 15 Jul 2018, 5:29 pm

LadyPutt wrote:
JAS wrote:I’m coming up, booked my tickets for Tue & Wed practice days and the 1st round Thurs. I’ve only played 2other courses more than Carnoustie, obviously know it relatively well so really looking forward to watching the Pro’s practice on it.
Especially with the drought we’re having! Are you bringing your clubs? Do you fancy a game again?

Hi Ladyputt, yes bringing my clubs (just in case), not sure if i’ll Use them as nursing a shoulder injury and the rest would probably do it good. Also, got accom in Perth and training it in each day (Dundee hotels were just ridiculous). If I do play it would be Tues or Weds late afternoon/early evening.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 15 Jul 2018, 7:52 pm

Amzing result for Immelman - now he has a European Tour card for 2019!
Put that commentating gig on hold for a while, tho' guess he's behind the mic next week.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sun 15 Jul 2018, 8:57 pm

But unfortunately Immelmanns OWGR position cost him a spot in The Open.. At #322 Dantorp is nearly 1000 positions higher...

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Mon 16 Jul 2018, 5:15 pm

JAS wrote:
LadyPutt wrote:

Hi Ladyputt, yes bringing my clubs (just in case), not sure if i’ll Use them as nursing a shoulder injury and the rest would probably do it good. Also, got accom in Perth and training it in each day (Dundee hotels were just ridiculous). If I do play it would be Tues or Weds late afternoon/early evening.

Sorry, playing in the Mixed Open at the Dukes tomorrow (Tuesday) and it's my club's Ladies Open on Wednesday and I'm on handicap/cards duty from 8.30 to 6! Never mind, another year. Hope your shoulder improves.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Thu 26 Jul 2018, 6:28 pm

Just back home after a glorious day st St Andrews watching the first round of the Senior Open. The course looked in great condition but was obviously tricky, especially when the wind got up around midday. Wonderful to watch so many great names in action - we sat beside the 17th green. Sadly Woodsie had to pull out after 14 holes with back trouble and mysteriously Olazabal apparently never teed it up at all - I couldn’t find out why. Now watching the Sky coverage at home so I might learn more. Tomorrow’s forecast is pretty grim with afternoon thunderstorms in the offing. Thanks to a very kind Joe Terry from the PGA of America who is one of the referees and who I met by chance  when he and his wife turned up at my club to see the “famous” Lundin Ladies course and I showed him round, I was given two free tickets for all four days. We’re hoping to go again on Sunday as we’re otherwise booked tomorrow and Saturday!
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 28 Jul 2018, 4:40 pm

The EuroTour cannot be happy about this trend. Especially in a Ryder Cup year.

https://twitter.com/VC606/status/1023153739627196421

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Sat 28 Jul 2018, 4:45 pm

LadyPutt wrote:Just back home after a glorious day st St Andrews watching the first round of the Senior Open. The course looked in great condition but was obviously tricky, especially when the wind got up around midday. Wonderful to watch so many great names in action - we sat beside the 17th green. Sadly Woodsie had to pull out after 14 holes with back trouble and mysteriously Olazabal apparently never teed it up at all - I couldn’t find out why. Now watching the Sky coverage at home so I might learn more. Tomorrow’s forecast is pretty grim with afternoon thunderstorms in the offing. Thanks to a very kind Joe Terry from the PGA of America who is one of the referees and who I met by chance  when he and his wife turned up at my club to see the “famous” Lundin Ladies course and I showed him round, I was given two free tickets for all four days. We’re hoping to go again on Sunday as we’re otherwise booked tomorrow and Saturday!

Sounds great LadyP, there are some great names playing enjoy!

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sat 28 Jul 2018, 5:44 pm

Great to see Tom Watson up there at the top of the Senior leaderboard at 68. Wind up today is probably to his advantage as it limits the younger guys’ ability to shoot the lights out. Wonder if he’d take up his place at Portrush if he won. Should be a fun last day as the leaderboard is full of good personalities of twenty years ago on both tours; Triplett, Jimenez, Sluman, Sandelin.

GPB, there’s been a fuss this week in Irish media about Reed, Bryson, Casey etc showing up this week and not for their “Rolex”. The gist is that the prize purses for the Rolexes are much bigger, but big names are taking guaranteed appearance fee money at other events instead.
It’s a fair complaint but I don’t think the tour has the setup right at all at the moment. Tournaments like this week will struggle even more to survive in the face of the Rolexes concentrating European talent. The European Open has already disappeared twice before for money issues before this current incarnation. If the only way to attract the crowds and sponsors to keep the tournament viable, is to pay the CURRENT MASTERS CHAMPION to appear, then so be it.
And increased prize money at the premium events is distorting the rank and file of the tour. It was ridiculous that Reed was leading the R2D for months from three events, and it’s ridiculous that they’ve needed to create the “access list” system for players to retain cards. The prize purses are so variable that a change to a points based system for the tour rankings is wildly overdue.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 28 Jul 2018, 5:54 pm

GPB wrote:The EuroTour cannot be happy about this trend.  Especially in a Ryder Cup year.

https://twitter.com/VC606/status/1023153739627196421

Would think that will change next year with the PGA Tour front-loading their schedule and the incentive for Europe to back fill theirs. But smaller European events will suffer even more, which I've always thought Finchem wanted all along. The "Finchem" World Tour if you like.
Biggest boost "Europe" can get would be for others to follow Molinari's example and improve their rankings by winning Majors & WGC's.

PS: Fully agree with Ned's diagnosis . . . . . . . and that this week's Hamburg field is ridiculous.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sat 28 Jul 2018, 6:48 pm

I’ve quite enjoyed watching the tour double-dippers tie themselves in knots trying to meet their PGA Tour “new event” criteria this year. I’d love to see the ET introduce a similar rule and require players to turn up at something other than their usual half dozen stops. Trouble is the tour’s events are so vulnerable you can’t rely on any event being there next season anyway.

It’s ultimately going to come down to whether they want half a dozen or so weeks a year when the Rorys, Sergios and Francescos of the world come to town, or whether they want a consistent spread of talent over the year. And if the former, are the finances there to support a full tour of 150-200 players underneath that?

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun 29 Jul 2018, 1:23 pm

I hadn't realized that DeChambeau had joined the ET. Well at least he is on the RtD standings, and I think that means he joined the ET. Given his precarious position in the RC standings (9th), I was surprised he is playing Germany rather than play in Canada. He has got to think Woods, Mickelson, Kuchar are ahead of him for a Captains.

I don't blame Casey, Perez, Reed, Schwartzel and DeChambeau for taking the appearance money. But tournaments built on a foundation of appearance money are really a house of cards.

IMO Pelley is Commissioner Kneejerk. He is not thinking of the downstream consequences of his decisions. The World Class Players that he is trying cater to are simply not going to play in any more events that they have to play. One of these days, ET officials are going to tighten the Ryder Cup handcuffs to tightly and really alienate the Rory's Rose's and Rahm's of the EuroTour.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 29 Jul 2018, 5:57 pm

Amazing win for Richard McEvoy in Germany.
Reed and Professor Bunsen Honeydew (did he blame his Beaker?) faded under European pressure and McEvoy joins a long line of 2001 victorious Walker Cup alumni to win:
Donald, McDowell (off to a nice start in Ontario), Hoey, Dougherty, Warren etc - just took him a bit longer.

Bunsen needs to improve a little if he wants to keep his European Tour card.

Have to agree w/GPB, both on BDeC and Pelley - don't agree with the remedies but that's a whole other story.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 29 Jul 2018, 6:33 pm

PS! Just noticed that europeantour.com show FIVE Par-5's in the final ten holes. That must surely be unique, except for perhaps the 6x3, 6x4, 6x 5 tracks such as the Berkshire (Red or Blue, can't remember)?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sun 29 Jul 2018, 9:35 pm

Watched some of the European Open. Was more a battle of the chokers. McEvoy blew it a few times down the back 9, but holed a clutch putt on 18 to win outright.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 30 Jul 2018, 12:33 am

Amateur Allen John tied for2nd in Germany. I realise he is deaf. Probably one of the few impairments that could be an advantage in golf?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 30 Jul 2018, 12:51 am

pedro wrote:Amateur Allen John tied for2nd in Germany. I realise he is deaf. Probably one of the few impairments that could be an advantage in golf?

Imagine he's distraught at not hearing "In der hole" or "Mashed kartoffel" or "Baba Booey". Should have a bright future without having to listen to that garbage.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Mon 30 Jul 2018, 9:11 am

Great Senior Open win by Miguel, holding his nerve with a 12ft par putt at the road hole - after he’d missed a tiddler a few holes back to drop a shot and also missed a shortish one for birdie just before that. Pretty disgusted to see that he only won just under €300,000 for his efforts. Pales into insignificance compared to Molinari’s purse at The Open.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 30 Jul 2018, 12:47 pm

Are you serious, LP? 300,000k for a senior sports event win is amazing money, that’s about 3x more than I’d expect the winner to get for a low pressure, retirement fund jolly.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon 30 Jul 2018, 1:44 pm

Wow €300k is amazing cash for seniors win. Virtually the same as the prize money for winning the European Open yesterday.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 31 Jul 2018, 8:40 am

LadyPutt wrote:Great Senior Open win by Miguel, holding his nerve with a 12ft par putt at the road hole - after he’d missed a tiddler a few holes back to drop a shot and also missed a shortish one for birdie just before that. Pretty disgusted to see that he only won just under €300,000 for his efforts. Pales into insignificance compared to Molinari’s purse at The Open.

300k is pretty amazing for a level of sport that no one really gives a toss about. I went along on Sunday, wasn't even asked to buy a ticket, just walked in, it was incredibly sparse and given that the European Tour must be operating the Seniors Tour on a serious loss leader.

These guys are incredibly lucky to be winning anything given the paucity of interest in that level. I'm assuming you don't expect equality with the actual Open?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Tue 31 Jul 2018, 8:48 am

I went on Thursday and there were big crowds, given that it was good weather. I’m not surprised there were few people on Sunday - it was pi**ing down most of the day and most sensible people were at home watching it on TV! I’m not saying the winner should have got €1m but just think the purse was poor, but having seen that everyone who played, regardless of whether they made the cut or not, got paid I supposed they had to spread it more thinly.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 31 Jul 2018, 9:04 am

I think it's an excellent "purse" (didn't realise it was a boxing match)
£300k is a hell of a lot of money for a bunch of has-beens.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Tue 31 Jul 2018, 12:44 pm

LP - I think Jimenez is happy with the purse!

If any of the seniors believed they were still good enough to earn more money they would contend at a higher level

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu 02 Aug 2018, 3:13 am

The EuroT is co-sanctioning the Fiji International event this week

Exactly one player from Europe in the event. Alejandro Canizeros.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 02 Aug 2018, 12:39 pm

GPB wrote:The EuroT is co-sanctioning the Fiji International event this week

Exactly one player from Europe in the event.  Alejandro Canizeros.
One of the few tournaments where you actually hope to miss the cut.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun 05 Aug 2018, 1:47 pm

Gaganjeet Bhullar wins Fiji. Guess that gets him a 2019 season exemption. With one European in the field, I just don't see the reasoning why the EuroTour co-sanctions this event.

The tournament did not meet the OWGR's definition of a EuroTour co-sanction as Bhullar only got 14 pts for the win.

BTW- Ernie Els finished T3 shooting a final round 65 (2nd best in Round4) His best finish in a long long time and he earned the most OWGR points since his 5th place finish in the 2016 Quicken Loans tournament. Ernie had fallen to around #800 in the rankings. Hopefully, this finish will give him some confidence.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 06 Aug 2018, 4:19 pm

Nice synergy in Sweden with Oliver Wilson winning the Robert Karlsson Challenge Tour event - ten years since they were RC team-mates.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 07 Aug 2018, 4:26 pm

Sunday's play at Portrush next year is a sell-out.
Very cool.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 15 Aug 2018, 6:44 pm

Freddie Jac playing this week's Nordea - hope that means his son is healthy, and that Freddie is healthy too. First event for about 15 months.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 08 Sep 2018, 12:57 pm

Scores all over the place at Crans; Steely Dan will be pleased to see Doctor Wu at the (temporary?) head of affairs.

A good weekend for Fitzpatrick to make a statement. Week late and a few dollars short tho' it would be.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Sat 08 Sep 2018, 1:17 pm

Well he’s just gone birdie birdie eagle.....

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sun 09 Sep 2018, 1:18 pm

Doug Ghim contending on the final day, wonder how many American fans who have followed his amateur success will notice that with the playoffs on at the same time. Wonder if he’ll be the next Brooks/Uihlein taking the European route.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by kouchi Fri 14 Sep 2018, 1:35 am

Nice to see baby Walrus - Kevin Stadler - resurfacing in ... the Netherlands. Of all places Rolling Eyes

kouchi

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 14 Sep 2018, 8:16 am

kouchi wrote:Nice to see baby Walrus - Kevin Stadler - resurfacing in ... the Netherlands. Of all places Rolling Eyes

The BGS report a 5.0 magnitude earthquake off the Kent coast.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by wiretapper Fri 14 Sep 2018, 10:08 am

Did Stadler not say that when the anchoring ban came in he would have to give up pro-golf?

Or has he, like some others, worked out you can still anchor as long as you are subtle about it?

wiretapper

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 14 Sep 2018, 10:32 am

Dunno. He's been out injured for at least two years.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 19 Sep 2018, 9:24 am

What a long strange trip it's been . . . . .
Q-School version.
It seems only yesterday that Casey Wittenberg was playing partner of Tiger Woods when Tont won the 2013 Players. Now he's tied for the lead in a European Tour Qualie in Austria.
And only the day before yesterday that Ty Tryon was the next US hotshot, having $M's bestowed on him by Nike. Now he's tied for 74th in the same qualie.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 19 Sep 2018, 11:50 am

Nice to see he's still Tryon.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 20 Sep 2018, 11:44 am

Garcia waking up from his 18 month slumber.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next