Post by sirbenson on Tue 16 Jan 2018, 4:26 pm

First topic message reminder :

Selected tee times

Last edited by sirbenson on Sun 04 Mar 2018, 11:50 pm; edited 4 times in total

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Re: European Tour 2018

Post by McLaren on Tue 13 Nov 2018, 2:24 pm

McIlroy could be forgoing ET membership in 2019 and apparently therefore any chance of ever becoming an RC captain.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/46193189

Although I can't see them actually stopping him becoming captain.

Also interesting that even Rory now considers double dipping detrimental to his success on the course. I wonder if anyone on here will concede that I might have been onto something about 5 years or so back when I first said double dipping might be a thing of the past.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB on Tue 13 Nov 2018, 2:24 pm

As of right now, Rory only plans on playing two EuroTour Events which jeopardizes his Euro Tour Membership. (and future Euro RC Captaincy)

But I am sure Pelley will find some way to keep him a member.

Maybe Rory is trying to figure how far he can push Pelley.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/golf/46193189

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro on Tue 13 Nov 2018, 4:05 pm

Rory-gate springs to mind. He has already proven he can twist the ET around his middle finger once, so why not try again.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H on Wed 14 Nov 2018, 12:15 am

Rory really doesn’t help himself, he’s got great golf talent but minimal common sense.

Firstly, why even flirt with giving up Euro membership when the requirements have never been less rigorous? You almost have to go out of your way now to not play sufficient tournaments. He’s talking of playing two events before the Open, which gives him between the end of the FedEx in August and Dubai in November to find a whole two more tournaments. Can’t be that hard can it?

Secondly, even if you are going to take the Paul Casey route of giving up membership, why mention it unless you’re 100% committed to the course? The professional controversialists of golf journalism - Iain Carter, Lawrence Donegan - will be all over this story and making sure it follows Rory around all next year like a bad smell. That’s an unwelcome distraction that could have been easily avoided by just not saying anything.

Thirdly, why does he even think this is a good idea anyway? Apparently his logic is that he wants a long off season to work on his game before throwing himself into the American season in the spring. Unless my memory’s playing tricks, hasn’t he taken a long winter off to work on his game the last two or three years? And a fat lot of good it’s done him winning majors in that time. Maybe he should take a look at Molinari, who got himself into a good groove on form playing in both tours, clocked up a heavy schedule while his irons were hot and duly won an Open.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer on Wed 14 Nov 2018, 1:00 am

NedB-H wrote:Rory really doesn’t help himself, he’s got great golf talent but minimal common sense.

Firstly, why even flirt with giving up Euro membership when the requirements have never been less rigorous? You almost have to go out of your way now to not play sufficient tournaments. He’s talking of playing two events before the Open, which gives him between the end of the FedEx in August and Dubai in November to find a whole two more tournaments. Can’t be that hard can it?

Secondly, even if you are going to take the Paul Casey route of giving up membership, why mention it unless you’re 100% committed to the course? The professional controversialists of golf journalism - Iain Carter, Lawrence Donegan - will be all over this story and making sure it follows Rory around all next year like a bad smell. That’s an unwelcome distraction that could have been easily avoided by just not saying anything.

Thirdly, why does he even think this is a good idea anyway? Apparently his logic is that he wants a long off season to work on his game before throwing himself into the American season in the spring. Unless my memory’s playing tricks, hasn’t he taken a long winter off to work on his game the last two or three years? And a fat lot of good it’s done him winning majors in that time. Maybe he should take a look at Molinari, who got himself into a good groove on form playing in both tours, clocked up a heavy schedule while his irons were hot and duly won an Open.

Agree 100%.
Rafa C-B has been stating the obvious, that this helps the double-dippers that Mac tries hard to demean #soapbox.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz on Wed 14 Nov 2018, 2:46 am

I haven't seen the full Rory interview, but from what parts I've read I'm not so sure Rory is saying what the media says he is saying. It sounds to me like he's got two ET events in mind prior to the end of August, but his plans exactly where to go from there aren't firm yet. It makes sense that starting in January he gives the PGA Tour his all...But it makes little sense that he would then sit out Sept, Oct & Nov of the ET schedule after the Tour Championship. He could add the Dunhill or BMW, and then play in Dubai (a course he says he really loves) and he's made his 4 events.

I really think this is getting blown all out of proportion... Or at least it is from what I've seen of his actual statement.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz on Wed 14 Nov 2018, 3:00 am

kwinigolfer wrote:Fair enough ray, but the players could actually help a lot - and I think The Lakes this year is back-to-back with the WC in Melbourne. Would be nice if they could work together also.
John Huggan made a tweet about a month ago that put me on to looking into the Australia situation a little more closely. Sounds like there's some pretty deep issues of non-cooperation between the Australian PGA (AUS PGA, Vic Open) and Golf Australia (AUS Open). If that's the case it's no wonder anything over there has trouble elevating. It needs to be an all in for everybody thing to make something big happened down there.

Maybe your brother can add some insights...

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Wed 14 Nov 2018, 7:48 am

I agree with Robo, all that McIlroy has said is that at present he only has two tournaments planned so far.

Doesn't mean he'll not play another couple. It's only bloody November.

Carter will shoe-horn in anything to publish a story about McIlroy, this is just another example.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster on Wed 14 Nov 2018, 9:04 am

robopz wrote:I haven't seen the full Rory interview, but from what parts I've read I'm not so sure Rory is saying what the media says he is saying.  It sounds to me like he's got two ET events in mind prior to the end of August, but his plans exactly where to go from there aren't firm yet.  It makes sense that starting in January he gives the PGA Tour his all...But it makes little sense that he would then sit out Sept, Oct & Nov of the ET schedule after the Tour Championship.  He could add the Dunhill or BMW, and then play in Dubai (a course he says he really loves) and he's made his 4 events.  

I really think this is getting blown all out of proportion... Or at least it is from what I've seen of his actual statement.

Using the actual words of the person being talked about? Unheard of. Outrageous. There's no future in that. We need conjecture, assumption, speculation. Wild, baseless accusation grounded in nothing more than a misplaced desire to appear more interesting/knowledgeable than we really are or to provoke needlessly.

How is Mac this morning?

drumroll

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H on Wed 14 Nov 2018, 9:07 am

Agree completely that McIlroy could easily fill his events requirement in the autumn. If that’s his plan he’d have done well not to answer a question like this:

"Right now that's all up in the air," McIlroy added. "But if it were to be that I don't fulfil my membership next year it is not a Ryder Cup year so it is not the end of the world.

He can’t help himself bless him.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro on Wed 14 Nov 2018, 9:08 am

Rorys wife must be expecting. Otherwise it doesn’t make sense.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited on Wed 14 Nov 2018, 10:39 am

pedro wrote:Rorys wife must be expecting. Otherwise it doesn’t make sense.

good call

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Wed 14 Nov 2018, 11:57 am

Kwini I have never tried to demean double dippers it has just been clear from OWGR data over the last 5 years or so that very few players manage to improve their OWGR when moving to two tour membership.  In fact even the ET acknowledged this fact by making it really easy to keep ET membership, by playing very few events.

On Rory there is a little more to this than some of you are making out as when asked if he wanted to retain his ET card he responded with;

"
Rory wrote:I don't know. Right now I've got two events on my schedule in Europe.

"I don't have to commit to that until next year so I'm starting my year off in the States. That'll be the big focus of mine up until the end of August and then, obviously, we will assess from there.

"I've got a couple of pure European Tour events on my schedule up to the end of August. I guess my big thing is I want to play against the strongest fields week in, week out, and for the most part of the season that is in America.

"And if I want to continue to contend in the majors and continue my journey back towards the top of the game, that's what I want to do."

"I don't know. Right now I've got two events on my schedule in Europe.

"I don't have to commit to that until next year so I'm starting my year off in the States. That'll be the big focus of mine up until the end of August and then, obviously, we will assess from there.

"I've got a couple of pure European Tour events on my schedule up to the end of August. I guess my big thing is I want to play against the strongest fields week in, week out, and for the most part of the season that is in America.

"And if I want to continue to contend in the majors and continue my journey back towards the top of the game, that's what I want to do."

"Right now that's all up in the air,"...... "But if it were to be that I don't fulfil my membership next year it is not a Ryder Cup year so it is not the end of the world.

Why would he get coy about remaining an ET member if he wasn't considering giving it up?

He then goes on to pretty much trash the ET by saying he needs to be playing against the best players to prepare for majors and that can only really be done on the PGAT.

If you are Kieth Pelly or a viewer of the ET what he has said isn't exactly nice to listen to what he has said and the fact he consider it "not the end of the world" to forgo his ET card, something Ned has already acknowledged as problematic.

Maybe his wife is pregnant but why not just say that or say nothing, rather than pretty much trashing the ET?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer on Wed 14 Nov 2018, 1:55 pm

Mac,
I've said it (close to) a million times; the PGA Tour is unforgiving, but the best find a way, or even enhance their game. The marginal d/dippers fall by the wayside (Fisher's done it twice!) and isn't that the way it should be?
The thing is, once you lose your way on the PGA Tour, whether because of loss of form or health, there's a long road back - see Casey and Poults as leading exhibits. And now McDowell - if he actually cares - will struggle unless he can take his chances which he's conspicuously failed to do so far.

Rafa sees the scheduling glass as half full.
Rory sees it as half-empty.
C'est la vie.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Wed 14 Nov 2018, 2:43 pm

Kwini

I don't quite get what you are saying, it seems you listed some of the reasons it doesn't work and I am wondering if we actually agree on this?  I have always thought of this as just saying players probably shouldn't try double dipping, do you agree with that?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer on Wed 14 Nov 2018, 2:48 pm

McLaren wrote:Kwini

I don't quite get what you are saying, it seems you listed some of the reasons it doesn't work and I am wondering if we actually agree on this?  I have always thought of this as just saying players probably shouldn't try double dipping, do you agree with that?

No!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Wed 14 Nov 2018, 3:55 pm

Is that because of players now needing to play so few events on the ET to keep a card or would you also have said that for years where the burden was higher?

I think in hindsight players like Donaldson, Pieters, Colsertes, Fernández-Castaño, Hanson, Vic Dub, Fisher, Ed Molinari etc would have been better off staying in Europe keeping their top 50 rankings and honing their games.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer on Wed 14 Nov 2018, 4:20 pm

Well, some of those examples came unstuck due to injuries, and one or two others (Vic Dub & Pieters) have games that could generously be described "mercurial", up one year, down the next.
But, yes, apart from FDez who moved his family to FLA (as Westwood also did) to make a 100% commitment, others fell between two stools. And they may have had compelling reasons for trying it, who knows? I think Hanson (who got injured at the worst possible time) has always lived most of the year in the Orlando area for instance.

I'm not saying guys should or shouldn't try to do both, but design a sensible schedule and understand the downside if things don't work out. Remember, it's only five months since Franny Molinari was in trouble.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H on Wed 14 Nov 2018, 4:32 pm

Mac, you may well be right about those players you mention, with the benefit of hindsight. But I’d have liked to see you try telling Pieters or Gonzo they weren’t good enough to double dip, but Rafa and Franny were. You don’t know until you try.

Even an ardent ET fan admits that the strength, depth and financial reward on the PGA is better. So of course any player who gets the chance will want to play on it. But ideally you want to maintain your ET membership too: for playing (Casey) and non playing (Lyle) Ryder Cup reasons if you do well. But also as a backup plan - if things go wrong you will still have a place to play in Europe, as Padraig, Lowry, McDowell and Donald are finding, rather than having to go back to q school like Gonzo did.

I think the blueprint for success, as much as there is one, is to be high enough up the OWGR that your ranking can absorb a dodgy run, then load up on early season PGA events to shore up your FedEx ranking. That’s what Rafa and Noren have done, and it means they’re not chasing the 125 bubble in the summer. But even then you have to keep playing well... Colsaerts kept his card that way but had dropped out of the top 50 by the time the next batch of majors and WGCs came round, which left him too short of events.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Wed 14 Nov 2018, 4:50 pm

Ned

I have been warning about the troubles of double dipping since almost the start of this site so I would probably have argued for Pieters not trying to do both.  If anyone can be arsed to search the posts go for it.

Also I forgot to mention Shane Lowrey as a recent example.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz on Wed 14 Nov 2018, 5:10 pm

You make a good point there Mac. (About dissing the ET). Maybe Rory's copy of "Winning Friends and Influencing People" got pushed to the back of his bookshelf... :-)

I question whether Pelley's plan is going to be successful, in fact I see some big unintended consequences looming as I stated before. But there's no question they're working their butts off to try to carve out segments on the schedule where the ET can successfully compete to try to hold on to it's players.

It doesn't make a lot of sense to me for any of the ET's top players to at least be vocally supportive of that.

Or maybe I'm the one who's read this wrong. Maybe the ET is just resigning themselves once and for all to just trying to keep their top talent home to play at least some, instead of losing them all together.

Kind of like the PGAT finally capitulated to the reality they're simply NOT going to compete against NFL football... Instead, heading to Asia to build audience there. PGAT's fall Asian swing will probably be 4 events next year, wouldn't be surprised to see it up to 6 or more 5 years from now.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer on Wed 14 Nov 2018, 5:33 pm

McLaren wrote:Ned

I have been warning about the troubles of double dipping since almost the start of this site so I would probably have argued for Pieters not trying to do both.  If anyone can be arsed to search the posts go for it.

The trouble with any of the "arguments" that you weigh in on, Mac, is that you never acknowledge the merits, or otherwise, of alternative points of view. And tar every player with the same brush when each and every circumstance may be different.

Lowry a great example of a golfer who never put together a commonsense schedule so was always likely to fail if he was just going to play the minimum number of events - it's hard! But with a good schedule his golf is good enough to make it work.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz on Wed 14 Nov 2018, 5:34 pm

NedB-H wrote:. I think the blueprint for success, as much as there is one, is to be high enough up the OWGR that your ranking can absorb a dodgy run, then load up on early season PGA events to shore up your FedEx ranking. That’s what Rafa and Noren have done, and it means they’re not chasing the 125 bubble in the summer. But even then you have to keep playing well... Colsaerts kept his card that way but had dropped out of the top 50 by the time the next batch of majors and WGCs came round, which left him too short of events.
Except for the best of the best, IMO the only winning formula for dual touring is the play the PGA Tour as much as you possibly can while playing the minimum on the ET.

I mean let's get real here. There's probably not even a half-dozen players who are good enough to split duty between two tours and do either one of them justice. And for the guys who aren't in that top handful of players, spotting all those PGA Tour regulars 25-30% more chances to make their nut is a recipe for disaster.

Look at how most those PGAT guys keep their cards. A lot of it is done against the weaker fields in the lesser events. But if the dual tour guy is going home to Europe to play Prime events there, then he's not in the USA picking up the "easier" points.

But for many of them the best option would be, play the PGA Tour is a guest. A top-50 Euro isn't going to have much problem getting invitations to max out his 7 sponsor exemptions. Granted as a non member he won't have access to that FedEx pot of gold at the end of the year. But if he's going to split time fairly equally between the two tours, then realistically he's not going to have a shot at that big pot of gold anyway.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz on Wed 14 Nov 2018, 5:42 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Lowry a great example of a golfer who never put together a commonsense schedule so was always likely to fail if he was just going to play the minimum number of events - it's hard! But with a good schedule his golf is good enough to make it work.
Agree with you on Lowry. On one hand, by winning a WGC, he was the kind of guy that had the safety net to give the PGA tour a reasonable shot. But his scheduling was a real head scratcher. From an outsider looking in, his results (or lack thereof) were entirely predictable.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Wed 14 Nov 2018, 7:31 pm

McLaren wrote:Ned

You don't get any credit for being Captain Obvious and stating what is/was clear to everyone. It's akin to saying that Hitler made a mistake starting the Russian front, hardly a newsflash Mac, so stop trying to bathe in some sort of glory of insight.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Wed 14 Nov 2018, 10:15 pm

Super

If it has been so obvious to everyone then why do I get such vehement push back whenever I mention it?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H on Wed 14 Nov 2018, 10:37 pm

robopz wrote:
NedB-H wrote:. I think the blueprint for success, as much as there is one, is to be high enough up the OWGR that your ranking can absorb a dodgy run, then load up on early season PGA events to shore up your FedEx ranking. That’s what Rafa and Noren have done, and it means they’re not chasing the 125 bubble in the summer. But even then you have to keep playing well... Colsaerts kept his card that way but had dropped out of the top 50 by the time the next batch of majors and WGCs came round, which left him too short of events.
Except for the best of the best, IMO the only winning formula for dual touring is the play the PGA Tour as much as you possibly can while playing the minimum on the ET.

I mean let's get real here. There's probably not even a half-dozen players who are good enough to split duty between two tours and do either one of them justice.  And for the guys who aren't in that top handful of players, spotting all those PGA Tour regulars 25-30% more chances to make their nut is a recipe for disaster.

Look at how most those PGAT guys keep their cards. A lot of it is done against the weaker fields in the lesser events. But if the dual tour guy is going home to Europe to play Prime events there, then he's not in the USA picking up the "easier" points.

But for many of them the best option would be, play the PGA Tour is a guest. A top-50 Euro isn't going to have much problem getting invitations to max out his 7 sponsor exemptions. Granted as a non member he won't have access to that FedEx pot of gold at the end of the year.  But if he's going to split time fairly equally between the two tours, then realistically he's not going to have a shot at that big pot of gold anyway.
Agree with all this. Would also add to it that even if you load up on PGA events and play the bare minimum in Europe, you’ll probably keep your ET card anyway unless you’re Gonzo. Firstly because if you get in all the limited field shootouts it’s nigh on impossible to lose your card anyway. Secondly because if you’ve played well enough to work your way on to the PGA tour you probably have a cupboardful if ET exemptions to work your way through. And thirdly, even if eneyrhing goes wrong your cachet for sponsor exemptions in Europe should be sky high.

The ET membership and max out on US invites tactic works quite well; Matty Fitz is using it right now and Westwood and Kaymer have worked it well in the past. But both of those have also had a play at full double dipping, as I’m sure Fitz would given the chance. I imagine almost everyone would want to at least try double dipping, if only so they wouldn’t regret turning down the chance later on in life.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Wed 14 Nov 2018, 10:49 pm

robopz wrote:
the only winning formula for dual touring is the play the PGA Tour as much as you possibly can while playing the minimum on the ET.

This is key. When a lot of the dedicated PGAT players are playing 25+ events a year you cannot expect to accrue more fedex points than them playing significantly fewer events than this yourself. The average points you end up needing per event becomes very unlikely to achieve unless you are so good a top 20 is a cruise, which it isn't for most players.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Thu 15 Nov 2018, 8:02 am

McLaren wrote:Super

If it has been so obvious to everyone then why do I get such vehement push back whenever I mention it?

Did you? I don't really remember.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz on Thu 15 Nov 2018, 1:45 pm

Maybe I spoke too soon about the situation with Rory and his Euro tour membership being overblown. According to Todd Lewis this morning, Rory indicated to the media after his round today that he was very much in fact considering giving up Euro tour membership.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS on Thu 15 Nov 2018, 2:14 pm

Good round from Smith today, he’s been a bit quieter this season than in his rookie season but he’s having a better finish to the year this year. Solid finish this week would set him up well for next year. Only a matter of time until steady progress gets him into the Top 50 and in with the big boys.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho on Sun 18 Nov 2018, 7:36 am

Wrong thread!

Last edited by beninho on Sun 18 Nov 2018, 11:33 am; edited 2 times in total

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong on Sun 18 Nov 2018, 7:59 am

Poulter around in 3 under in 2 hours 22 minutes.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer on Sun 18 Nov 2018, 12:34 pm

Fantastic win for Danny Willett - hope his brother keeps his tweets to himself this time round. What redemption for DW.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers on Sun 18 Nov 2018, 12:53 pm

Just shows writing off the career of a young sportsman is a dumb idea (especially when they are clearly very talented. Onwards and upwards for DW now I suspect.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Sun 18 Nov 2018, 1:23 pm

Willett flukes another win. Wink
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro on Sun 18 Nov 2018, 2:26 pm

We were never in doubt.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers on Sun 18 Nov 2018, 2:32 pm

Probably worth remembering Westwood had a massive career slump (seem to remember it being at least 2-3 years before his Dunhill Links win, which itself was a bit of a false dawn,, worse than Willet’s, at around the same age. And that was without the distraction of winning a major.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB on Sun 18 Nov 2018, 4:20 pm

Robo opined on another blog that Reed and Schauffele carpetbagged their way to 25% of the RtD bonus pool, despite playing only 4 non-co-sanctioned EuroTour event between them. 3 for Reed (Scottish, European, and This week) , and 1 for Schauffele (this week).

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer on Sun 18 Nov 2018, 5:31 pm

Imagine there's a young man from Holywood who thinks that what's good for the Reed is good for the Rory.

Pelley is not doing the ET any long-term good if all he's doing, year after year, is devaluing membership.

And it makes you wonder how many will follow Rory's lead.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz on Mon 19 Nov 2018, 12:18 am

kwinigolfer wrote:Imagine there's a young man from Holywood Palm Beach Gardens who thinks that what's good for the Reed is good for the Rory.
#fixedit

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H on Mon 19 Nov 2018, 2:53 pm

Worth pointing out that, if I understand the system correctly, Schauffele won’t get away with it next year. Having earnt full status this year he’ll can’t revert to affiliate again, so he’ll have to match Reed’s three events. Same with Kuchar if he was an affiliate, although he actually filled three anyway (Abu Dhabi, Scottish, Dunhill Links), and given his tough year I wouldn’t be surprised if he passed on the whole thing in 2019.

It doesn’t entirely sit comfortably with me, I’d like to see the requirement up at five or six at least. But playing devil’s advocate, Pelley must be hoping that Pat and Xander’s success will encourage a few copycats: if he can get a few regular season events out of each of those two and, say, Rickie, JT, JS and BdC, it’d do his sponsorship negotiations a world of good.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer on Mon 19 Nov 2018, 3:28 pm

Once upon a time Phil said he'd play a worldwide schedule; wonder what happened to that? He'd help the ET a lot.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Mon 19 Nov 2018, 4:02 pm

If Rory quits the ET next year how would the euro RC fans on here feel about him coming back into the team?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H on Mon 19 Nov 2018, 4:34 pm

Casey played this year didn’t he?

The rules are pretty clear, if you’re a member you can play that year, if you’re not you aren’t. What McIlroy does in off-years is irrelevant.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB on Mon 19 Nov 2018, 4:43 pm

NedB-H wrote:Casey played this year didn’t he?
What McIlroy does in off-years is irrelevant.

Except by current rules, he will never be able to be a Captain or Vice Captain of the Euro Team

Furthermore, the committee also introduced a new regulation stating that players cannot be a European Ryder Cup Captain or a Vice-Captain if they decline membership of the European Tour or fail to fulfil their minimum event obligation in any season, from 2018 onwards.

https://www.rydercup.com/news-media/europe/how-european-and-american-teams-are-picked-ryder-cup

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H on Mon 19 Nov 2018, 4:55 pm

He’d be a terrible captain anyway, as per his complete lack of common sense. Mac was asking about him playing, which is the one thing he is very good at.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB on Mon 19 Nov 2018, 5:52 pm

My point is that forfeiting his status is not irrelevant.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H on Mon 19 Nov 2018, 6:07 pm

True. It’s irrelevant for playing privileges though, so long as he’s a member in the right years. That’s what I took Mac to be referring to.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited on Mon 19 Nov 2018, 6:50 pm

NedB-H wrote:He’d be a terrible captain anyway, as per his complete lack of common sense. Mac was asking about him playing, which is the one thing he is very good at.

He'd make a terrible captain today. In about 20 years he'll probably make a very good captain.

Seve had his fair share of run ins with both US and Euro tour. Still managed to find himself as captain, and what an impact he made!

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum