Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by beninho on Sun 07 Jan 2018, 12:20 pm

First topic message reminder :

Stoke have spent 10 years in the premier league, they are bottom 3 and dumped out the cup by coventry. The perspy is that they are an established prem team, hughes has them shipping goals, not scoring and being certainties for relegation. They have spent big money on wimmer who has struggled, imbula who is out on loan and berahino who cant score, bojan is well paid and on the bench for alaves. Stoke fans have perspective, hughes had no clues. Surprised he stayed this long.

My family are potters!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Diggers on Wed 17 Jan 2018, 10:42 am

Indeed, drip feed lots of "oh, he's only nearly being racist" and you move the goalposts of what's actually acceptable. What was the thin end of the wedge, or the red line not to be crossed, ends up moving.
It's premeditated, dangerous and needs to be highlighted.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Thu 18 Jan 2018, 7:59 am

If I was a country, I'd much rather have 1000 Norwegian immigrants than 1000 people from Sierra Leone or Haiti, because the chances are they are going to be more valuable members of society. That's not a racist statement at all. It's common sense.

Even as people with skills and experience, none of us can just walk into America or even apply without sponsorship or a secondment from an employer, so America isn't open to anyone who wants to go there, especially those with nothing and it hasn't been for a very, very long time.

Quoting Lazarus from the 18th Century doesn't mean the country has to still adhere to this poem. It isn't an American law, it's a bloody poem.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts on Thu 18 Jan 2018, 9:45 am

super_realist wrote:If I was a country, I'd much rather have 1000 Norwegian immigrants than 1000 people from Sierra Leone or Haiti, because the chances are they are going to be more valuable members of society. That's not a racist statement at all. It's common sense....
No, it's not. It's narrow-minded. It might just be that your Sierra Leonean(sp?) or Haitian, perhaps having never had an opportunity, has far more drive to succeed than any of your 'typical' Norwegians.

As to 'New Colossus', you can't have it both ways. Yes it's a poem, but when it suits, America makes great play over it. Hypocritical.

Anyway, there's clearly no agreement here.
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho on Thu 18 Jan 2018, 10:56 am

Does America need more taxi drivers? The vast majority of Norwegian in fact Scandinavian immigrants tend to be self employed mini cab drivers. Does America have a shortage?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer on Thu 18 Jan 2018, 12:47 pm

Anders Breivik hasn't been too thrilled with his Norwegian confinement; perhaps Drumpf can take him . . . . . . . stick him on Rikers Island for a few years, see how he likes that - the NRA would be perfectly thrilled to have another mass assassin on their shores.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Thu 18 Jan 2018, 2:07 pm

Super

Didn't you say that immigration should be based on some sort of points system? If that were the case wouldn't your 1000 Norwegians and 1000 Sierra Leonians have the same qualifications?
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer on Thu 18 Jan 2018, 2:40 pm

McLaren wrote:Super

Didn't you say that immigration should be based on some sort of points system?  If that were the case wouldn't your 1000 Norwegians and 1000 Sierra Leonians have the same qualifications?

I think Canada has something similar (immigration points system), but now they're having to cope with a steady flood of refugees walking across the US border . . . . . . and trying to assimilate in a humanitarian way. Tough ask, but far preferable to the mindless ICE deportations from the US - a bloke given the boot yesterday who'd been here for 30 yrs, apparently never convicted of any crime. Leaves his wife & children behind. Daft. Cruel.
(Still, I had to leave 35+ years ago . . . . . . bounced back to escape Thatcher - only to be dismayed at Reagan.)

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz on Thu 18 Jan 2018, 4:31 pm

super_realist wrote:If I was a country, I'd much rather have 1000 Norwegian immigrants than 1000 people from Sierra Leone or Haiti, because the chances are they are going to be more valuable members of society. That's not a racist statement at all. It's common sense.

Not sure about if you were a country, statements like this make you seem like a total country.

I don't think the idea of immigration is just to help the country supporting immigration I think it's to help the immigrants themselves and show a bit of compassion towards your fellow humans unless of course you're a self centred, self important pr!ck like Trump. Hence maybe it would be better to help those in more need of support.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Thu 18 Jan 2018, 5:41 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
super_realist wrote:If I was a country, I'd much rather have 1000 Norwegian immigrants than 1000 people from Sierra Leone or Haiti, because the chances are they are going to be more valuable members of society. That's not a racist statement at all. It's common sense....
No, it's not. It's narrow-minded. It might just be that your Sierra Leonean(sp?) or Haitian, perhaps having never had an opportunity, has far more drive to succeed than any of your 'typical' Norwegians.

As to 'New Colossus', you can't have it both ways. Yes it's a poem, but when it suits, America makes great play over it. Hypocritical.

Anyway, there's clearly no agreement here.

It depends what the country is looking for doesn't it? I'm not sure a western country is ever in a rush to have under-educated people from a corrupt dictatorship are they?
You might not like that the people of one country are more desirable than others in regards to their skills and qualifications. I don't care if Haitians (or any other 3rd world country) has more determination, I don't want someone with determination to perform my heart operation or design my bridge I go over every day. I want someone skilled and experienced regardless of where they are from. The simple statistical fact is that someone from a developed country is more likely to have something to offer a country than someone from a s-hithole like Haiti. Sorry, but it's a fact.

I'm happy to have any migrant from any country and as many as we can handle providing they have something to offer the country. I'd also accept a portion of them to be asylum seekers with no skills or experience. It's all about balance isn't it?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers on Thu 18 Jan 2018, 6:39 pm

Regardless of whether Australia has a fair point system, what they don't do is go around justifying their system with crass, incendiary remarks.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro on Thu 18 Jan 2018, 10:53 pm

Why don’t Norwegians need a tourist visa to visit the US or [insert any country of your liking] when Haitians do? Isn’t it narrow minded or biased? Or even racist?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro on Thu 18 Jan 2018, 10:57 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
pedro wrote:If you see racism everywhere, you’re most likely a racist yourself. N-Africa is home to some of the worst sh!thole countries, with millions of emigrants in US/Europe, yet people belong to the white race. Southern Africa is home to sh!thole countries as well, with much fewer emigrants in US/Europe but people are black. Is there then a correlation btw sh!tholes and race if you make a broad statement about the continent? Or is it just so that you can’t call out Africa in broad/general terms, before someone calls you a racist, most likely because of own prejudice?
Again, DT is probably racist, but this statement is not racist as such.
With that being said, one could hope this could be a wake up call to the African people and others to get rid of their corrupt dictators and clean up their countries. Because they are indeed very well aware that their countries are sh!tholes. So far nothing good has come out of victimising the continent.
picard You really aren't helping yourself here.
By reading some of your posts I actually think you are the one who needs help. Earth calling.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Fri 19 Jan 2018, 8:00 am

pedro wrote:Why don’t Norwegians need a tourist visa to visit the US or [insert any country of your liking] when Haitians do? Isn’t it narrow minded or biased? Or even racist?

Norwegians need an ESTA like anyone else does, it's for countries which have electronic passports, I presume Haiti do not.

However, someone from a third world country like Haiti is more likely to try and stay in the USA aren't they? Rolling Eyes
The USA is no better than Norway to live in and in many ways worse, so a Norwegian isn't seen as someone as a risk to try and stay there, the USA is considerably better that Haiti, and thus the population of that country are more likely to try and become illegal immigrants by not returning.

Making it more difficult for certain countries to enter is simply mitigating risk. It's not really any different from meeting qualifications to enter University. Haiti currently only have two D's at A Level.

Why do people find it difficult to see the difference between a civilised, western democracy from Northern Europe and a Central American 3rd world dump and why they have to be treated differently?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho on Fri 19 Jan 2018, 8:18 am

I have dealt with a lot of dodgy Norwegians and Scandinavians playing the benefit system. I think I would trust Haitians more!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Fri 19 Jan 2018, 1:19 pm

Pedro

"If you see racism everywhere, you’re most likely a racist yourself."

Or there is just racism everywhere?

And why would you "call out" Africa in general terms, what general point about Africa would you like to make but you fear will be seen as racist? Why not air your thought here as a test and see what people think.

Super

When you say " It's not really any different from meeting qualifications to enter University. Haiti currently only have two D's at A Level." is that really a useful analogy?

If you went to a "Poopie" school and got 3 A's you have on an individual level attained the same qualifications as someone who went to a "Norwegian" level School who also got 3 A's.

What might separate those two candidates would be prejudice towards the school they came from.
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts on Fri 19 Jan 2018, 4:56 pm

pedro wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
pedro wrote:If you see racism everywhere, you’re most likely a racist yourself. N-Africa is home to some of the worst sh!thole countries, with millions of emigrants in US/Europe, yet people belong to the white race. Southern Africa is home to sh!thole countries as well, with much fewer emigrants in US/Europe but people are black. Is there then a correlation btw sh!tholes and race if you make a broad statement about the continent? Or is it just so that you can’t call out Africa in broad/general terms, before someone calls you a racist, most likely because of own prejudice?
Again, DT is probably racist, but this statement is not racist as such.
With that being said, one could hope this could be a wake up call to the African people and others to get rid of their corrupt dictators and clean up their countries. Because they are indeed very well aware that their countries are sh!tholes. So far nothing good has come out of victimising the continent.
picard You really aren't helping yourself here.
By reading some of your posts I actually think you are the one who needs help. Earth calling.
Just leave it there eh?
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Fri 19 Jan 2018, 7:03 pm

McLaren wrote:Pedro

"If you see racism everywhere, you’re most likely a racist yourself."

Or there is just racism everywhere?

And why would you "call out" Africa in general terms, what general point about Africa would you like to make but you fear will be seen as racist?  Why not air your thought here as a test and see what people think.

Super

When you say " It's not really any different from meeting qualifications to enter University. Haiti currently only have two D's at A Level." is that really a useful analogy?

If you went to a "Poopie" school and got 3 A's you have on an individual level attained the same qualifications as someone who went to a "Norwegian" level School who also got 3 A's.

What might separate those two candidates would be prejudice towards the school they came from.

Mac, It's really very simple. If you have the skills and qualifications to get into a country, then I'm absolutely fine with that, HOWEVER, the statistics demonstrate that a country like Haiti has a MUCH lower % of the population with those qualifications than Norway. Therefore it is likely that someone from Norway (though not definitely) will have skills and education more suited to America than someone from Haiti. How can you have a problem realising that is most likely true?
You say you used to live abroad, how did you get into the country you worked in?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Fri 19 Jan 2018, 7:07 pm

beninho wrote:I have dealt with a lot of dodgy Norwegians and Scandinavians playing the benefit system. I think I would trust Haitians more!

A country that has a history of being incredibly corrupt? How many Haitians have you known?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Fri 19 Jan 2018, 8:59 pm

Super

It is possible that if you randomly sampled people from Haiti and Norway the Norwegian would be more likely to have achieved a higher level of education but that isn't really how immigration works. But this isn't what people have taken issue with. The problem is that in the context of what Trump has said and done before he made blatantly racist comments during am official discussion. Would you not agree it becomes and issue when the President is making openly racist remarks?
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho on Fri 19 Jan 2018, 9:40 pm

But that's the point mac, he doesn't think the remarks are racist, and is in agreement with what was said. He's made it clear by defending it and banging on about Norway.

And he wonders why people think he may be a bit racist. Oh well, each to their own.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho on Fri 19 Jan 2018, 9:52 pm

I think worse then the furore over the shthole comments are his anti abortion endorsements. So backwards.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Sat 20 Jan 2018, 6:37 am

beninho wrote:But that's the point  mac, he doesn't think the remarks are racist, and is in agreement with what was said. He's made it clear by defending it and banging on about Norway.

And he wonders why people think he may be a bit racist. Oh well, each to their own.

There's no Norwegian, Haitian or any other nationality RACE is there, so how can it be RACIST?

He's simply (in this aspect) talking about the difference in country.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Sat 20 Jan 2018, 6:45 am

beninho wrote:But that's the point  mac, he doesn't think the remarks are racist, and is in agreement with what was said. He's made it clear by defending it and banging on about Norway.

There's no Norwegian, Haitian or any other nationality RACE is there, so how can it be RACIST?

He's simply (in this aspect) talking about the difference in country and the likelihood that a Norwegian citizen is going to be more use to the US than one from Haiti, I do however think that if you are well qualified and skilled, it shouldn't matter where you come from, but if you look at the education levels in Norway and Haiti, it's pretty clear which one is more likely to provide useful immigrants and why they might scrutinise Haiti more than Norway.

In this instance, he wasn't talking about Asylum Seekers, in which case people from Norway would not considered to be asylum seekers anyway, so it would be a stupid statment. I'm fine with a certain number of asylum seekers, though I notice Mac or any of his political hero's like Corbyn and Sturgeon haven't taken any in.

What a cheap and lazy attempt to paint me as being racist, this has nothing to do with race, which if you understood what race means you would realise. Again though, I'll ask you to point to anything which shows me to be racist. I'm explaining context and taxonomy here, but you can't seem to grasp that I'll agree about his anti abortion stance though, worse than Northern Irelands. The man is a disgrace on virtually every point, but on this particular occasion it was a clumsy, but not racist statement.

I have about 50 Norwegian colleagues and zero Haitian ones, Is my company being racist?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho on Sat 20 Jan 2018, 8:06 am

Im todays world the term racist covers more than the literal meaning of racist. I think tarring all the people of a nation by classing the country a Poopie is a racist term, I don't care what the literal meaning of the word is, I think soneone who has openly supported white nationalists and racists calling generally black countries as Poopie and making claims about the people of those countries is a pretty racist claim. You have to look at the whole.

But each to their own interpretations.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers on Sat 20 Jan 2018, 10:29 am

super_realist wrote:

He's simply (in this aspect) talking about the difference in country and the likelihood that a Norwegian citizen is going to be more use to the US than one from Haiti, I do however think that if you are well qualified and skilled, it shouldn't matter where you come from, but if you look at the education levels in Norway and Haiti, it's pretty clear which one is more likely to provide useful immigrants and why they might scrutinise Haiti more than Norway.

In this instance, he wasn't talking about Asylum Seekers, in which case people from Norway would not considered to be asylum seekers anyway, so it would be a stupid statment. I'm fine with a certain number of asylum seekers, though I notice Mac or any of his political hero's like Corbyn and Sturgeon haven't taken any in.

What a cheap and lazy attempt to paint me as being racist, this has nothing to do with race, which if you understood what race means you would realise. Again though, I'll ask you to point to anything which shows me to be racist. I'm explaining context and taxonomy here, but you can't seem to grasp that I'll agree about his anti abortion stance though, worse than Northern Irelands. The man is a disgrace on virtually every point, but on this particular occasion it was a clumsy, but not racist statement.

I have about 50 Norwegian colleagues and zero Haitian ones, Is my company being racist?

Well, Haiti is meant to potentially be sitting on multi billion dollars of oil supplies. If that's true I'm sure you'll have lots of Haitian colleagues.
You are being a bit precise on the definition of racism. I didn't see you coming back and disputing the definition of being a bigot.
Prejudice is probably a better word than racism. I'd like to see statistics of how well blacks in Norway do compared with whites. Multicultural Britain maybe, hardly a level or fair playing field though.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers on Sat 20 Jan 2018, 10:58 am

Diggers wrote:
super_realist wrote:

Well, Haiti is meant to potentially be sitting on multi billion dollars of oil supplies. If that's true I'm sure you'll have lots of Haitian colleagues.
You are being a bit precise on the definition of racism. I didn't see you coming back and disputing the definition of being a bigot.
Prejudice is probably a better word than racism. I'd like to see statistics of how well blacks in Norway do compared with whites. Multicultural Britain maybe, hardly a level or fair playing field though.

By the way, I'm still talking Trump re race and prejudice, not about you.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest on Sat 20 Jan 2018, 1:17 pm

Interesting to see that the championship is the third most watched league in Europe.

It’s a cracking league. Probably one of the toughest to predict who will win out of the English leagues. Hopefully Villa can go up this season.

More so than La Liga.

Must say that was last season.

Premiership
Bundesliga

Top 2

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers on Sat 20 Jan 2018, 6:39 pm

westisbest wrote:Interesting to see that the championship is the third most watched league in Europe.

It’s a cracking league. Probably one of the toughest to predict who will win out of the English leagues. Hopefully Villa can go up this season.

More so than La Liga.

Must say that was last season.

Premiership
Bundesliga

Top 2

Step in the right direction today Westy. Big win for Sunderland, played a few teenagers apparently, why not, they couldn't have done any worse than the shower who have been playing.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers on Sat 20 Jan 2018, 7:24 pm

Interesting stat, Sean Dyche has now played 100 premier league games, win ratio 27%. In 140 games in the same league guess what Paul Lamberts win ratio is...27%. Just shows that basically these guys at smaller clubs are much of a muchness, they all have their moments but sooner or later you have bad times.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho on Sat 20 Jan 2018, 7:44 pm

Wycombe got a 94th minute winner away at Crewe. Is there much better then a last minute winner in football?!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited on Sat 20 Jan 2018, 10:36 pm

westisbest wrote:Interesting to see that the championship is the third most watched league in Europe.

This is crazy, and I struggle to believe it. Do you mean 3rd most attended? Or 3rd watched on TV globally?

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho on Sat 20 Jan 2018, 10:52 pm

I'm assuming its attendences, its a 24 team league with some decent sized clubs. It makes sense.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro on Sun 21 Jan 2018, 12:28 am

beninho wrote:Im todays world the term racist covers more than the literal meaning of racist. I think tarring all the people of a nation by classing the country a Poopie is a racist term, I don't care what the literal meaning of the word is, I think soneone who has openly supported white nationalists and racists calling generally black countries as Poopie and making claims about the people of those countries is a pretty racist claim. You have to look at the whole.

It’s just that the word ‘racist’ is being waved at any given occasion. I remind that his daugther is jewish, so chances are that he’s probably not that fond of the neonazis marching in charlottesville. DT may (or may not) have dislike of certain nationalities or races, but isn’t prejudice a better word? A lot of people use terms like Frogs, Oirish, krauts, and of course the guardianistas never had a problem uttering their contempt for israelis. Not an excuse for DT being undiplomatic, just an objection to the word ‘racism’ being waved at nauseum, especially if you live in a glass house.

And FTR, unemployment and crime rates of 1st and 2nd generation immigrants from sh!thole countries in western europe are many times higher than of immigrants from other western countries. Racism? Or a fact you have to relate to?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho on Sun 21 Jan 2018, 7:54 am

I don't object to the word racism being used when it's justified. I think trump is a racist, he has a history of treating people of difference races and nationalities different. He thinks white supremacists are good people. He even got involved in the obama birth certificate thing. In my view, he's a racist.

And anyone that uses kraut or other terms in a derogatory way to describe a group of people, yep also potentially racist.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Sun 21 Jan 2018, 8:11 am

Diggers wrote:
super_realist wrote:

I would imagine "blacks" as you so eloquently put it (better watch Beninho doesn't call you a racist for that) do very well in Norway. Norway is an incredibly equal society.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Sun 21 Jan 2018, 8:15 am

beninho wrote:Im todays world the term racist covers more than the literal meaning of racist. I think tarring all the people of a nation by classing the country a Poopie is a racist term, I don't care what the literal meaning of the word is, I think soneone who has openly supported white nationalists and racists calling generally black countries as Poopie and making claims about the people of those countries is a pretty racist claim. You have to look at the whole.

Don't be stupid Beninho, there's already words for discriminating against people on subjects other than race, so you don't have to refer to it as racism. Have you never heard how pathetic it is when the Irish for example or the SNP try to call out someone for "racism". It's truly laughable.

It's not quite as bad as when Muslim people claim "racism" though, because at least you can't change where you were born.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho on Sun 21 Jan 2018, 8:22 am

Why would saying a black person is back be racist?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho on Sun 21 Jan 2018, 8:40 am

Sanchez for Mikitarian. Financially a better deal for arsenal. Interesting to see how it works out.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers on Sun 21 Jan 2018, 8:46 am

pedro wrote:

It’s just that the word ‘racist’ is being waved at any given occasion. I remind that his daugther is jewish, so chances are that he’s probably not that fond of the neonazis marching in charlottesville. DT may (or may not) have dislike of certain nationalities or races, but isn’t prejudice a better word? A lot of people use terms like Frogs, Oirish, krauts, and of course the guardianistas never had a problem uttering their contempt for israelis. Not an excuse for DT being undiplomatic, just an objection to the word ‘racism’ being waved at nauseum, especially if you live in a glass house.

And FTR, unemployment and crime rates of 1st and 2nd generation immigrants from sh!thole countries in western europe are many times higher than of immigrants from other western countries. Racism? Or a fact you have to relate to?

Your last fact, when presented in isolation like that, is exactly the type of comment that leads to prejudice and creates a platform for racism. It's the type of statistic that Nigel Farage loves. Let's not look at any reasons why it happens (reduced access to higher education for example), let's just present it in a way that somehow these people are genetically somehow "less decent" than us good old white people.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Sun 21 Jan 2018, 8:47 am

beninho wrote:Why would saying a black person is back be racist?

I was joking about the way he referred to black people as "blacks". Monty and Mac would be down on him like a ton of bricks for that.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho on Sun 21 Jan 2018, 8:57 am

I would be surprised if anyone would have an issue with it. Black people are black. Now if soneone said coloured, like some older people still do, that's wrong.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho on Sun 21 Jan 2018, 9:00 am

I've always though that one day cricket is the pinnacle of cricket...much better then the tests...

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers on Sun 21 Jan 2018, 10:10 am

beninho wrote:I've always though that one day cricket is the pinnacle of cricket...much better then the tests...

Certainly can be more fun, but I've watched a stack of one sided one day matches as well. In terms of seeing how good a player really is, then its test match cricket for me. But that's why "better" can be a hard word to use, all very subjective. For a lot of kids today 20-20 is better because it's fast and furious, perfect for today's way of life, generation consumption. I think it's fun but far too much of a lottery, so a bit pointless.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho on Sun 21 Jan 2018, 10:53 am

Silva sacked...evertons fault

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers on Sun 21 Jan 2018, 11:04 am

Watford would always plateau, they were never going to keep up that level. Results in a season are rarely linear, they would probably have taken their position right now at the start of the season.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer on Sun 21 Jan 2018, 12:25 pm

Watford have a wet, windy night at Stoke next; hope they get thumped.
Watford change their manager at least every year anyway, just bringing the inevitable forward by a couple of months.
Yuuge game for Saints today . . . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers on Sun 21 Jan 2018, 10:18 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Watford have a wet, windy night at Stoke next; hope they get thumped.
Watford change their manager at least every year anyway, just bringing the inevitable forward by a couple of months.

Garcia's CV is really pretty average. These are the kind of appointments that annoy me, surely you could take a punt on a British lower league manager. Even a recently retired player, say a Lampard, who has completed their badges.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Mon 22 Jan 2018, 8:09 am

beninho wrote:I would be surprised if anyone would have an issue with it. Black people are black. Now if soneone said coloured, like some older people still do, that's wrong.

Nothing wrong with the term black for a black person, I was referring to the collective term "blacks". For example, if you said "see those blacks over there" you'd most likely get pulled up.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Mon 22 Jan 2018, 8:14 am

Diggers wrote:
kwinigolfer wrote:Watford have a wet, windy night at Stoke next; hope they get thumped.

Garcia's CV is really pretty average. These are the kind of appointments that annoy me, surely you could take a punt on a British lower league manager. Even a recently retired player, say a Lampard, who has completed their badges.

An average CV should suit a truly average club. What do clubs like Watford, Stoke, West Brom, West Ham, Palace, Swansea etc expect from the Premier League? At the very best, their best realistic position is to be at the top bit of the lower third of the league. The hilarious thing is when such a manager comes in and says "We'll play the Watford  way" eh? What is that? They should play whatever way ensures they don't get relegated.

Probably right that you should put a new, young inexperienced British manager in there (although they should really be down in League 1 or 2, rather than parachuting straight into the Premier, even with a crud team), rather than a foreign no mark, but then again, you'd be risking the wrath of Monty and Mac for being "racist".

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts on Mon 22 Jan 2018, 9:05 am

super_realist wrote:
beninho wrote:I would be surprised if anyone would have an issue with it. Black people are black. Now if soneone said coloured, like some older people still do, that's wrong.

Nothing wrong with the term black for a black person, I was referring to the collective term "blacks". For example, if you said "see those blacks over there" you'd most likely get pulled up.
Rightly so, when you could say "See those people/guys/girls/whatever else over there". Where do you think you are? Pre-Apartheid South Africa? Like it or loathe it, you're asking for trouble using skin colour to delineate anyone these days. Sometimes I agree, it's OTT, but most of the time it probably isn't and there's no need to distinguish anyone based on the colour of their skin, whatever it is.
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum