PGA Tour: San Diego - He's Baaack!: Notes from the Ballwasher

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: San Diego - He's Baaack!: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer on Wed 24 Jan 2018, 6:28 pm

First topic message reminder :

1).Yup, following a season most notable for three runner-up finishes, one of them a very, very near miss, Justin Rose is back in PGA Tour action for the first time since his victory at the WGC-HSBC Champions in November.
And not just that win, but he also brings a string of TEN consecutive Top Ten finishes worldwide (plus last week's aberrational T21 in Abu Dhabi) in owgr-eligible tournaments to San Diego's Torrey Pines.
Without drilling too far down his career record, I'd imagine that's his longest sustained run of excellence, and to that lot he can also point to a T4 at last year's "Farmers Insurance Open".

2).Whether justified or not, I've always regarded Rose as something of a momentum golfer, as of course most are. But his "momentum" is usually dictated by the health of his body and his putting stroke. Tough to put stats together from tournaments in some of the diverse places he's plied his trade recently, but perhaps both components are now in excellent working order? Or as much as they can be following travel from Abu Dhabi.

3).No doubt like any other Pro worth his salt, Rose would love any Major that came his way, but it's his record at Augusta National that really stands out, his win at Merion notwithstanding.
Played: 12
Cuts made: 12
Top tens: 5
Last 3 years: T2, T10, 2 (play-off loss to Sergio)
Given that he worked (and travelled) pretty hard last autumn, one just hopes his schedule allows adequate recovery time before returning to this year's Masters.

4).At the risk of having missed someone obvious, this is a league table of Europeans under 50 at Majors:
Top tens:
23: Garcia
18: Westwood
16: McIlroy
15: Harrington
13: Rosey
11: Stenson
9: Casey
8: Bjorn, Donald, Poults

5).Top threes:
9: Westwood
7: Garcia, McIlroy
6: Stenson
4: Bjorn, Rose

Of course, another bloke is coming back to Tour action this week and he knocks this lot into the proverbial cocked hat:
Woods: Top tens: 38. Top threes: 24

6).The upcoming four events are at least as strong as any four consecutive weeks on Tour, Majors excluded, three of them with fantastic host courses:
Torrey Pines, Phoenix, Pebble Beach, Riviera - any string of events beat that lot? Certainly not any WGC's.

7).The migration of double-dippers begins in earnest in San Diego, with Harrington, Lowry, Molinari and Noren joining Justin Rose. Poulter flies west next week and the following week sees Casey, McDowell and Mcilroy.  

8).After noting last week that the Tour's season is about 25% of the way through, let's have a butcher's at the top Europeans in the all-important FedEx Points list, by position:
2nd: Rahm
10th: Rose
23rd: Cejka(!) (Will what happened in Vegas stay in Vegas or does he have more form to show? Usually plays well @ Pebble for instance.)
34th: Rafa C-B
44th: Stenson
53rd: Casey
60th: Knox
That'll change soon!

9).The Tour Champions defending their titles this next month or so are: Rahm this week, Matsuyama, Spieth at PB, Dustin, Fowler, DJ again - a pretty stout list.
As is the shorter list of the last three Farmers winners: Rahm, Snedeker, Day. Day and Snedeker both have excellent form here but you wouldn't bet on the health and/or form of either.
One pro who's been going through an awful time recently is Harris English and he had a dismal start (five missed cuts) to the season; but he conjured up an 11th place effort last week, has some course form, and might just be worth a tanner each way at a very long price this week. I'll go with Leishman as my one-and-done but his recent form has been up and down, to say the least.

10).Tiger Woods tees off with new BFF Patrick Reed and local lad Charley Hoffman, and has 8 W's here. Great that he's back and one hopes that his play matches the breathless anticipation. Even more important that his body holds up - if he makes the cut I can easily see him finishing Top Ten. And then he'll be talking Ryder Cup selection.
And on that subject, great to see Sergio, Fleetwood and Rahm scoring wins last week - but I would suggest that it's at least as important that Rose and Stenson stay fit and in form for Paris. They were neither in Minnesota, but their leadership and points will be crucial to bring the RC back to Europe. Whether Tiger is playing or not.

NB: Happy to see Justin will host the British Masters at Walton Heath. Great for WH to be showcased again.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Re: PGA Tour: San Diego - He's Baaack!: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by GPB on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 12:48 am

NedB-H wrote:Good stat that GPB. Jacklin, Oosterhuis, Faldo, Westy, Poults, Casey, Willett, Rose?

Luke

(I forgot Willett so it is tied 9-9)

Henrik Stenson, 
Jonas Blixt, 
David Lingmerth, 
Jesper Parnevik
Richard S Johnson, 
Gabe Hjerstadt, 
Daniel Chopra, 
Carl Pettersen, 
Freddie Jacobson

Last edited by GPB on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 12:54 am; edited 1 time in total

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 12:54 am

Luke Donald, Ken Brown - Sandy Lyle was born in England . . . . . .

Yet Shtedt was the first to get one, then the first to get two!

Noren looks much more relaxed, as if he doesn't have to prove anything any more. He's sewn up his card, playing with house money, the Tour's his oyster!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 12:56 am

Sandy and Brown flew Scottish Flags.

If you are going by birth country, then you got to take out Rose.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 1:00 am

How did I forget Luke....

Day has stepped it up a gear here

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 1:02 am

Yet Shtedt is a well respected teacher in Arizona . . . . . . . . . . . still three to go. Anyone?

Scottish flags . . . . . . . of convenience . . . . . . . . . .

Time for a snake from Noren.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 1:14 am

Give the Scots what they can take, Monty is a Yorkshireman really too.

GPB got the final three. The fat one and the two newbies.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 1:20 am

Oof, The three easiest ones!!!!!!!!!!!

Would Ken Brown ever have been to Scotland if not for golf??

Very ballsy par putt from Noren. Can't believe they're still at it.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 1:27 am

Fantastic shot from Noren

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 1:30 am

Equally as impressive from Day!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 1:34 am

See you all tomorrow....

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 1:39 am

That was very cool.
Well played both.
Ryan Palmer a gracious runner up - back towards/in (must be very close!) the Top 100 despite missing so much of the last season or so.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 1:50 am

I just noticed Bubba will be out of the world top 100, such aquick decline! Will he make a comeback to the top of the game? Was it all down to changing ball? I see he has changed back

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 2:04 am

Can't believe they each birdied the last hole in the dark.

Bonus Monday Golf.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 7:51 am

There was no way I was making another hour and half last night. Good to see JB getting a kicking from other pro's on social media. Still doubt anything will be done about slow play eben though the commentary team had to keep reassuring people the grammys were on soon.

And tge mention of the pundit on sky is correct, he really was poor, just wanted to speak in weird psycho babble.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 10:38 am

Action starts 8.00 a.m. local time, hope it's as exciting as the five holes so far.
Only complaint about CBS coverage (as opposed to Sky) is that they only assigned an on-course commentator to the final threesome for the last few holes; can't understand why they wouldn't use a GC on-course person in such circumstances.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 12:32 pm

One could have made a lot of money betting that Tiger Woods would have a better tournament than Jon Rahm ... especially after rounds 1,2 and almost 3.

Noren and Day both mighty impressive.

Last edited by Shotrock on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 12:49 pm

what does T23 mean for Tiger's OWGR position?

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Snap Hook on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 1:00 pm

After a long time of not posting, and "proper" season starting this week thought I would chip in.

Tiger, thought he did pretty well. Driving all over the shop yesterday, nothing new but a little straighter and he could have had a back door top ten. Putting very good. Chipping strong out the fluffy stuff, remains untested on a tight lie though. Riviera will be interesting, as from my recollection narrow fairways and small ish greens. Gets a top ten there and things start getting interesting.

JB Holmes - as others have said not good at all on the 18th, analysis paralysis and subsequently got what he deserved. A shocker.

Didn't see the play off, but Noren is a force to reckoned with. Doubted him a bit because of his major record, but will tough to beat in the Ryder Cup. Fingers crossed het gets it done today.

Re Nick Bradley on Sky, oh dear. Can see why he his not Justin Rose's coach anymore. Can only assume Holmes or Pugh were on holiday.

Anyhow roll on Phoenix, my favourite regular tour event. Justin Thomas to take it in a play off.

Snap Hook

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 1:08 pm

ray,
I think princedrac is expecting Woods to be about 525th.
EDIT: 539th.

Welcome back Snap:
Wasn't just yesterday that Tiger was driving all over the shop.
CBS reckoned that he tied his worst ever "driving accuracy" for the tournament, 17 fairways hit. That's about 30%.
Tied with Riviera(!) in 2005 . . . . .
Yup, would say that sort of driving will be penalised more severely in LA, but I thought he did really well, all things considered; probably got a bit knackered (mentally anyway) for his final (funereal) few holes, but he seemed pleased.

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 1:13 pm

JB excused himself by saying he still beleived he had a chance, and he thought he had a better chance of holing a wedge than a chip from behind the green. But yes, he still took far too long. Noren admitted that the wait had him change club, but he wouldn’t say that was neccessarily a bad thing. A 5-wood or spoon might have ended up in the drink?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 1:33 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Action starts 8.00 a.m. local time, hope it's as exciting as the five holes so far.
Only complaint about CBS coverage (as opposed to Sky) is that they only assigned an on-course commentator to the final threesome for the last few holes; can't understand why they wouldn't use a GC on-course person in such circumstances.

I watched the Dubai action on Sky on Sunday morning. Great commentary from Radar Riley following the final group. Love his on course insight.

I liked Faldo's insight on Sunday night as well. The other CBS commentators talk about facts (useful stuff e.g. yardages) and emotions (just speculation and not really helpful). But Faldo brings another level e.g. preferred shot shape, how the player should set up to play the shape. I thought it was interesting in the 1st play off hole when they were all laying up and Faldo said Day will prioritise going to his preferred yardage instead of playing like match play and ensuring he was first to play his approach.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 1:51 pm

Agreed ray, the CBS crew did an excellent job, previous quibble excepted.
(My only quibble with Faldo is that he very very rarely tells any anecdotes except about him. Scarcely ever mentions any players that he played with except Seve, though very respectful and often interesting about Elder Statesmen Nicklaus & Trevino.)
Plus: Amazing pic they showed of Noren's hands, so heavily encrusted with calloused blisters. Almost x-certificate!

Wish we had Radar . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 3:33 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Wish we had Radar . . . .
Hands off, he's ours! boxing
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 3:46 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:
My only quibble with Faldo is that he very very rarely tells any anecdotes except about him. Scarcely ever mentions any players that he played with

Is that because he doesn't have any anecdotes? He famously played in his own bubble, maybe he didn't notice anything they were doing.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 3:48 pm

I, too, really like Faldo. Anyone else notice he constantly refers to old Genesis' songs (I guess all are old at this point!) during many of his broadcasts? Yesterday, he was sure to give "Afterglow" a mention.

He also said that Noren might want to set up permanent base here in the states. Good advice I think.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 4:03 pm

ray,
I'm sure that's right, but still . . . . . . . !

Already warming up beside the seaside, looking forward to this. Hope the wind hasn't started blowing yet.

No spectators allowed in.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 4:11 pm

Oof, Looks like he hit it as he wanted to. Advantage J'Day.

Hope Alex holes it, what else am I going to do today otherwise?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 4:20 pm

Jason Day! Good to see him back and winning on the big tour.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 4:42 pm

No regrets from Siralex, good to see - sure he made the right decision, just needed a bit of Fred Couples's Augusta good fortune.
With points he'll get from limited field events, he's most of the way now to securing his card, plus pretty much assured of being in owgr Top 50 for another year or so even if he should get injured again.

Good for Jason Day; wonder if Colin Swatton is still his coach - didn't hear any reference to him during the week so not sure.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 11:34 pm

Give Norens lie (250-280 to the green with a 3-wood from the first cut), can’t beleive he went for it. The chip from behind the green seemed so much harder than a wedge from 80-90. And as we saw not very many had a success going after 18 in two.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer on Tue 30 Jan 2018, 12:45 am

He'd hit a couple of beauties in in yesterday's play-off holes - I'd be for him going for it. Hope he'd do it again. Brilliant wedge play from J'Day through the play-off eventually won it - they'd each birdied 18 all three times last evening.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Tue 30 Jan 2018, 12:06 pm

Pedro

You might think that but data shows that getting closer to the hole is the easiest way to make the next shot easier, assuming you don't end up in a tree or something. His chipping proximity to hole will be much lower than from 90 yards.
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Seve76 on Tue 30 Jan 2018, 12:51 pm

If you still feel that Europe will get pasted in this year's Ryder Cup, it's worth noting today's world rankings.
Nine Euros in the top 17 places (probably a record), and Europe could get a full team from the Top 26.
America has to go down to Number 30 to compile its team.
So while Johnson, Speith & Thomas (on their 2017 form, at any rate) may seem intimidating, there's no reason for us to be cynical about Europe's chances in a twelve-man team comp.

Seve76

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer on Tue 30 Jan 2018, 1:00 pm

Seve76 wrote:If you still feel that Europe will get pasted in this year's Ryder Cup, it's worth noting today's world rankings.
Nine Euros in the top 17 places (probably a record), and Europe could get a full team from the Top 26.
America has to go down to Number 30 to compile its team.
So while Johnson, Speith & Thomas (on their 2017 form, at any rate) may seem intimidating, there's no reason for us to be cynical about Europe's chances in a twelve-man team comp.

Big thing though Seve, is that our best players have to keep fit - can't be having top players, like Rose & Stenson last time, turning up semi-crocked. Would also say we need to get Pieters motoring again - length DOES matter.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts on Tue 30 Jan 2018, 3:38 pm

McLaren wrote:Pedro

You might think that but data shows that getting closer to the hole is the easiest way to make the next shot easier, assuming you don't end up in a tree or something.  His chipping proximity to hole will be much lower than from 90 yards.
It's interesting this. The data is almost as clear as it could be, but it still gets poo-pooed. Distance has always been the trump card.
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H on Tue 30 Jan 2018, 6:20 pm

https://www.vg.no/sport/i/bKzErq/lpga-star-on-trump-he-cheats-like-hell

Suzann Pettersen discussing her friend Donald, the golf cheat

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Tue 30 Jan 2018, 6:43 pm

You might think that but data shows that getting closer to the hole is the easiest way to make the next shot easier, assuming you don't end up in a tree or something.  His chipping proximity to hole will be much lower than from 90 yards.

Depends if you are in a place where you can play the ball AND if you are better at playing 90 yard shots than you are at 110 yards. Being 330 long off the tee, but in a position where you can't get the club on the ball is useless.

I know plenty people who are embarrassingly bad from the shorter distance. Even in the pro game, how bad is the short game of people like Westwood?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer on Tue 30 Jan 2018, 7:16 pm

https://www.pgatour.com/la/en/news/2018/01/26/bull-cruises-to-victory-at-colombia-qualifying-tournament.html

I don't know anything about this Charlie Bull - apparently a Londoner who has been playing in Canada and now winning this Latino America qualie after attending the Uni of Akron. Ty Tryon was T55 in the same qualifier . . . . . . . .

Should be good conditions in Phoenix for Waste Management, and also for golf. Warm, no chance of a freeze and, hopefully, no morning fog. Great field - how'd they do that??!!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Tue 30 Jan 2018, 9:48 pm

NedB-H wrote:https://www.vg.no/sport/i/bKzErq/lpga-star-on-trump-he-cheats-like-hell

Suzann Pettersen discussing her friend Donald, the golf cheat

Fake news apparantly.

http://www.golfchannel.com/article/golf-central-blog/pettersen-me-calling-trump-cheater-fakenews
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock on Tue 30 Jan 2018, 10:01 pm

Does anyone truly think Trump does NOT cheat in golf?

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Tue 30 Jan 2018, 10:19 pm

shotrock

He must be doing something dodgy to get his claimed 3 handicap and a few oddjob style balls down the trouser leg wouldn't surprise anyone.
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer on Tue 30 Jan 2018, 10:29 pm

Mac,
These are the results of the Celebrity tournament he played in at the time he strutted his stuff with Daniels, Stormy:

http://americancenturychampionship.com/media-center/event-archive/american-century-championship-2006-results/

These are "modified stableford" a la the Barracuda event in Reno.
5 pts for eagle
2 for birdie
0 for par
-1 for bogey
-3 for double or worse

Bear in mind that he was about 59 then and the deterioration inevitable in performance (any kind at that age) in 12 years, and the fact that many of the guys that beat him were double-digit handicaps, and you can make up your own mind.
Cheatin' liar, on and off the course.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro on Tue 30 Jan 2018, 11:45 pm

super_realist wrote:

Depends if you are in a place where you can play the ball AND if you are better at playing 90 yard shots than you are at 110 yards. Being 330 long off the tee, but in a position where you can't get the club on the ball is useless.

I know plenty people who are embarrassingly bad from the shorter distance. Even in the pro game, how bad is the short game of people like Westwood?
A likely 50 ft downhill chip from the greenside rough vs a certain [insert your preferred distance] yds wedge from the fairway? Yes Noren knew that Day would lay up and he had the chance to gain an advantage and go for it. But he was still 280 away and the ball wasn’t on the fairway. In hindsight it’s easy to second guess but even at the time I was questioning his decision.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Tue 30 Jan 2018, 11:52 pm

Thanks for that link Kwini. He shot 268 over the three rounds, meaning he averaged 90 a round.
Pretty far from a 3 handicap.
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer on Wed 31 Jan 2018, 12:52 am

Mac,
It could well have been worse than that, as he'd have been picking up his ball after a double bogey (couldn't do any worse) so could well have had some really high numbers in there.

PS: I should have added "thievin" in between cheatin' and liar! 83% of the tax cuts he legislated will go to the top 1% wealthiest Americans.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H on Wed 31 Jan 2018, 1:01 am

I think Pettersen is in full damage limitation mode. That statement only addresses one of the points of the original article, and it was actually quite a generous piece overall....

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Wed 31 Jan 2018, 7:56 am

McLaren wrote:Thanks for that link Kwini.  He shot 268 over the three rounds, meaning he averaged 90 a round.
Pretty far from a 3 handicap.

18 is probably about right, anyone who has seen him swing it knows he can't be a 3 handicap.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho on Wed 31 Jan 2018, 8:16 am

Regarding the Noren playoff, maybe he just blinked first. Day was laying up, and getting birdie, Noren had been taking it on and getting birdie. Day was likely to birdie again, so Noren felt he had to go for eagle. Do you try and win it or hope your opponent loses it?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro on Wed 31 Jan 2018, 11:08 am

beninho wrote:Regarding the Noren playoff, maybe he just blinked first. Day was laying up, and getting birdie, Noren had been taking it on and getting birdie. Day was likely to birdie again, so Noren felt he had to go for eagle. Do you try and win it or hope your opponent loses it?
Of course, but you have to mitigate risk. 18 is not a good eagle opportunity. In fact it's not a big thing to miss the fairway on 18 as you can always give yourself a short wedge in. IMO you only have a big advantage if your drive is in the fairway and your playing partner is in the rough. Then you can go for it in two with a spoon or 5 wood and your playing partner is forced to lay up. On one of the other playoff holes Noren did go 3wood-spoon to the middle of the green. But it was a good 3 wood and the temperature was higher yielding another 10-20 yds. Anyway, he's one of the best players in the world and I'm not so I guess he knew what he was doing. But it's fun to talk about it.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Wed 31 Jan 2018, 12:05 pm

Pedro

If you cared to read my post and Navy's response to it you might get why Noren tried to get closer to the hole.
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum