PGA Tour: San Diego - He's Baaack!: Notes from the Ballwasher

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

PGA Tour: San Diego - He's Baaack!: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer on Wed 24 Jan 2018, 6:28 pm

First topic message reminder :

1).Yup, following a season most notable for three runner-up finishes, one of them a very, very near miss, Justin Rose is back in PGA Tour action for the first time since his victory at the WGC-HSBC Champions in November.
And not just that win, but he also brings a string of TEN consecutive Top Ten finishes worldwide (plus last week's aberrational T21 in Abu Dhabi) in owgr-eligible tournaments to San Diego's Torrey Pines.
Without drilling too far down his career record, I'd imagine that's his longest sustained run of excellence, and to that lot he can also point to a T4 at last year's "Farmers Insurance Open".

2).Whether justified or not, I've always regarded Rose as something of a momentum golfer, as of course most are. But his "momentum" is usually dictated by the health of his body and his putting stroke. Tough to put stats together from tournaments in some of the diverse places he's plied his trade recently, but perhaps both components are now in excellent working order? Or as much as they can be following travel from Abu Dhabi.

3).No doubt like any other Pro worth his salt, Rose would love any Major that came his way, but it's his record at Augusta National that really stands out, his win at Merion notwithstanding.
Played: 12
Cuts made: 12
Top tens: 5
Last 3 years: T2, T10, 2 (play-off loss to Sergio)
Given that he worked (and travelled) pretty hard last autumn, one just hopes his schedule allows adequate recovery time before returning to this year's Masters.

4).At the risk of having missed someone obvious, this is a league table of Europeans under 50 at Majors:
Top tens:
23: Garcia
18: Westwood
16: McIlroy
15: Harrington
13: Rosey
11: Stenson
9: Casey
8: Bjorn, Donald, Poults

5).Top threes:
9: Westwood
7: Garcia, McIlroy
6: Stenson
4: Bjorn, Rose

Of course, another bloke is coming back to Tour action this week and he knocks this lot into the proverbial cocked hat:
Woods: Top tens: 38. Top threes: 24

6).The upcoming four events are at least as strong as any four consecutive weeks on Tour, Majors excluded, three of them with fantastic host courses:
Torrey Pines, Phoenix, Pebble Beach, Riviera - any string of events beat that lot? Certainly not any WGC's.

7).The migration of double-dippers begins in earnest in San Diego, with Harrington, Lowry, Molinari and Noren joining Justin Rose. Poulter flies west next week and the following week sees Casey, McDowell and Mcilroy.  

8).After noting last week that the Tour's season is about 25% of the way through, let's have a butcher's at the top Europeans in the all-important FedEx Points list, by position:
2nd: Rahm
10th: Rose
23rd: Cejka(!) (Will what happened in Vegas stay in Vegas or does he have more form to show? Usually plays well @ Pebble for instance.)
34th: Rafa C-B
44th: Stenson
53rd: Casey
60th: Knox
That'll change soon!

9).The Tour Champions defending their titles this next month or so are: Rahm this week, Matsuyama, Spieth at PB, Dustin, Fowler, DJ again - a pretty stout list.
As is the shorter list of the last three Farmers winners: Rahm, Snedeker, Day. Day and Snedeker both have excellent form here but you wouldn't bet on the health and/or form of either.
One pro who's been going through an awful time recently is Harris English and he had a dismal start (five missed cuts) to the season; but he conjured up an 11th place effort last week, has some course form, and might just be worth a tanner each way at a very long price this week. I'll go with Leishman as my one-and-done but his recent form has been up and down, to say the least.

10).Tiger Woods tees off with new BFF Patrick Reed and local lad Charley Hoffman, and has 8 W's here. Great that he's back and one hopes that his play matches the breathless anticipation. Even more important that his body holds up - if he makes the cut I can easily see him finishing Top Ten. And then he'll be talking Ryder Cup selection.
And on that subject, great to see Sergio, Fleetwood and Rahm scoring wins last week - but I would suggest that it's at least as important that Rose and Stenson stay fit and in form for Paris. They were neither in Minnesota, but their leadership and points will be crucial to bring the RC back to Europe. Whether Tiger is playing or not.

NB: Happy to see Justin will host the British Masters at Walton Heath. Great for WH to be showcased again.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Re: PGA Tour: San Diego - He's Baaack!: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by raycastleunited on Wed 31 Jan 2018, 12:52 pm

McLaren wrote:Pedro

If you cared to read my post and Navy's response to it you might get why Noren tried to get closer to the hole.

No, I think you've not paid attention / failed to understand the point Pedro and Ben were discussing. If you cared to read their posts you might get it.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer on Wed 31 Jan 2018, 1:50 pm

Very happy to see that Rory has committed to June's Travelers Championship - great experience following him last year, so looking forward to an encore. We saw him turn a 63 or 64 into a 67 with absolutely dismal putting - no reason why he wouldn't be able to repeat Furyk's 58 at TPC River Highlands if his putter behaved.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny on Wed 31 Jan 2018, 1:56 pm

Trump’s Handicap
Long story short - I got invited to a meeting convened by R&A and USGA last Autumn about new worldwide handicap system - scheduled to come in 2020ish? Basically current US system with a few tweaks, although their aim is to allow some flexibility in each of the 7 current jurisdictions.
Overall looks ok although there are a few wrinkles - way more complicated than css, unclear which rounds would count, or would all rounds, including match play count, cost of software etc. Nonetheless it’s well worth working with if only to establish one set of principles.
The big problem, certainly for UK and Ireland revolves around the reporting system. I managed to get some time with the USGA rep and asked what was the biggest problem he saw with current US system, and he reckoned vanity handicaps. These result from self reporting. Even though for a counting round in US, golfer now has to play with someone else, which amazingly is a relatively new requirement, there is limited scrutiny and handicaps are open to manipulation as scores are loaded on to central database. Basically Trump can have whatever handicap he wants.

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock on Wed 31 Jan 2018, 1:58 pm

10 or so years ago I played at a club where Trump was a member. The member who hosted me showed me that trump was listed as an 8. That member told me he was closer to 18. If you want to compete in any competition (particularly a team competition) I can't imagine why you would want a vanity handicap.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny on Wed 31 Jan 2018, 2:08 pm

Shot - reason for vanity handicaps is that without being sufficiently low you can’t get into some comps. It would seem some golfers who should qualify are missing out to the vanity handicappers?Interestingly USGA fella was less concerned about golfers manipulating handicaps up, but emphasised that was his view,and reckoned many golfers would cite examples of bandits being just as big a problem. Many in the UK would agree!
Another strange one for UK golfers might be the speed with which a handicap could change over the course of a year, although they do intend to limit this to 10 strokes without special circumstances!

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock on Wed 31 Jan 2018, 2:18 pm

Thanks ... Interesting motivation for a vanity handicap. Get into a comp where you really don't belong and get trounced (most likely)! I do see/experience more problems with the sandbaggers.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Wed 31 Jan 2018, 2:27 pm

I'll say it again, how about just getting rid of handicaps?
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny on Wed 31 Jan 2018, 2:38 pm

Mac, handicap system is an excellent feature of golf, although, personal view, it’s used way too much!

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster on Wed 31 Jan 2018, 2:57 pm

Mac - that's just daft to me. Get rid of them? Go on, indulge me (if you have explained previously, I can't remember)

Pulig - Likewise, used too much? In what way(s). EDIT - sorry - by "likewise" I meant could you indulge me and explain, not that used too much was "likewise" daft. (Mac I do think not having them is daft, even in this edit)

While I practise (rarely) on the course I'll bench my play against handicap and when I'm in competition it is key (well, being confident that most/everyone else is broadly the right handicap so it is a pretty level playing field in which to compete).

My understanding of the USGA system is that it's a rolling average(?) of the previous 10 (20?) rounds. I'm a streaky player. When I'm good, I'm pretty good, but not that often. When I'm poor, I'm appalling. So generally I'll go up 4 or 5 times in a row (sometimes 8-10 weeks in a row!) then have a decent lap and get trimmed so the overall handicap doesn't move that much. A (perfectly natural) streak of worse than handicap could see me go up then batter everyone on the rare good day. Not saying the CSS route is perfect, but it does mitigate the lumpy moves I'm guessing may result on the USGA methodology and the annual review (which could be tweaked to semi annual?) allows a decent period of scoring to be analysed and a "lumpy" adjustment made if warranted).

A 10 shot move in one year "limit" sounds way ott to me.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Wed 31 Jan 2018, 3:08 pm

Roller

What joy is there to be taken from beating someone because you get more shots taken off your score because you are actually a worse player than them? The problem feels even worse in matchplay.

Handicap competitions have always felt meaningless to me.

McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer on Wed 31 Jan 2018, 3:25 pm

Not that I've had an official handicap recently, and there have been tweaks since I did, but I would speak in favour of the USGA system in that I reckon it's very fair, demanding to play to, and is a very fair representation as to relative abilities.

In simplistic terms, they take the best ten of your last twenty scores (adjusted always for bad - depending upon handicap - holes) and for the tees you're playing and respective slope. "ten shot move in one year" sounds almost impossible to achieve for 99% of regular golfers.

20 rounds is a couple of months' worth of scores for all but the most frequent golfers and is a sound reflection in accommodating the inevitable ups and downs of play and conditions. Try it, it's tough to play to!

But Shotrock knows ten times as much about this as I do!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny on Wed 31 Jan 2018, 3:25 pm

Roller - simples, I would like a system where more often best golfer on the day wins - a bit like in just about any other sport.
Handicap is great, and I would never be in favour of doing away with it, but scratch events at my club are few and far between, and I would like to see a few more. Off the top of my head maybe 75:25 handicap to scratch.
I recall from squash days there was a perverse joy in competing against players who would work you till your tongue dragged on the floor - but if only i could scrape one more point than last time and not give up! Golf is different, but in scratch events just playing against the course and seeing how everyone does is as good as it gets!

On the handicap system (proposed) it would be best 10 of last 20. There would also be a feature which would retain the effect of very good rounds for longer within the algorithm. Even so it could be much more volatile, and capture many more rounds, albeit not “competition” rounds, hence limiting changes to 10. I agree 10 sounds absurd, but movements of a shot or 2 per round could be quite normal, where we are used to moving up by 0.1!

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Wed 31 Jan 2018, 3:34 pm

puligny wrote:
I recall from squash days there was a perverse joy in competing against players who would work you till your tongue dragged on the floor - but if only i could scrape one more point than last time and not give up! Golf is different, but in scratch events just playing against the course and seeing how everyone does is as good as it gets!

Couldn't agree more with this idea and think that the squash analogy works for matchplay. Some of my favorite ever mathchplay matches were years when I snuck into club championship knock outs and had to play the best players at the club off scratch. I was mid teens and off about 6 while they were off 2 or something, but putting up a competitive performance provided more joy than the match being equalized by handicaps.
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer on Wed 31 Jan 2018, 3:36 pm

puligny,
"movements of a shot or 2 per round" would be extreme outliers. For decent (say single-digit) golfers any movement of close to half a stroke would be rare. Not familiar with the "very good round" algorithm but that would restrict volatility even more, more like your 0.1.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster on Wed 31 Jan 2018, 3:51 pm

Doesn't happen often, but here's your "bite"  Very Happy

I get the "playing the course" aspect and the one hitting it the fewest times wins. Which is great when up against equivalent talent/standard (ie pro ranks where everyone accepts that is the raison d'etre). But, Christ, there'd be about 5 courses in Britain to accommodate the 1,000 players that would be able to compete in such a manner outside the pro ranks. Even a bounce game for a pint would lose all appeal for the vast majority of players.

You are 100% entitled to feel handicap competitions are meaningless for you and I respect that, although, gross prizes exist for those that can occasionally hit such levels (which for me is very much down to the low number of single figures at our club all having an off day - 70%+ of our gross prizes are won by only 1 or 2 players - I'd guess a purely gross competition at our place would attract less than 10 I can think of 6 who would have a realistic chance.). Sorry, I think your premise is even more wrong than I'd guess 99% of the posts for which you receive disdain (beyond Super's retorts!).

What joy? The joy of beating them in a fair(er) competition. The fact that I played relatively better than I'm "supposed" to play than they did (not to mention learning to be genuinely gracious enough to recognise the exact same when I'm beaten by a so-called "worse" player). The fact that different people can enjoy the competition against someone they know they are not as good as (in a pure, gross sense) and vice versa. Handicap allows a wider range of abilities to enjoy our wonderful game, courses and social togetherness whilst enabling a meaningful comparison of relative performance and justifiable hierarchy that can and does vary on a weekly if not daily basis. Limit play to gross and it would be a lonely old game that I suspect may be consigned to history within a generation.

You of all people on here are surely not really advocating a system that would be hugely and demonstrably prejudicial are you?

Perhaps, sir, you should change your username now Mr Elitist McLaren.

You're welcome.  thumbsup

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster on Wed 31 Jan 2018, 3:59 pm

Noted on the responses regarding the handicap system. I'm not suggesting it's "easier" I'm just not (probably through lack of experience of it) convinced by it. But, if everyone goes out every time and tries their best (which admittedly we all rely on already anyway) then it would work I guess.

Guess it works on understanding the detail. I shall watch this space.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny on Wed 31 Jan 2018, 4:04 pm

Kwini - Hi. From the stats we were shown you are correct and single figure golfers would be less likely to move by a shot or 2, but still far more likely than under the current system, where upward movements are restricted to 0.1. If you were in a period of poor play and shoot 10 over your handicap a movement of 1 shot could happen very quickly. The suggested volatility is greater for higher handicaps, which is why USGA/R&A are proposing limiting annual movement without special circumstances to 10 per year. Anything close to that in the current UK system, perhaps other than for a junior rapidly going through the gears towards future stardom would be impossible, and particularly upwards!
Overall I think the proposed system has lots to commend it, though there are wrinkles to be ironed out. Certainly getting more golf to count, rather than have people hide behind only playing a handful of qualifiers is to be applauded.

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer on Wed 31 Jan 2018, 4:13 pm

puligny wrote:Kwini - Hi. From the stats we were shown you are correct and single figure golfers would be less likely to move by a shot or 2, but still far more likely than under the current system, where upward movements are restricted to 0.1. If you were in a period of poor play and shoot 10 over your handicap a movement of 1 shot could happen very quickly. The suggested volatility is greater for higher handicaps, which is why USGA/R&A are proposing limiting annual movement without special circumstances to 10 per year. Anything close to that in the current UK system, perhaps other than for a junior rapidly going through the gears towards future stardom would be impossible, and particularly upwards!
Overall I think the proposed system has lots to commend it, though there are wrinkles to be ironed out. Certainly getting more golf to count, rather than have people hide behind only playing a handful of qualifiers is to be applauded.

We'll see!
But get out your scorecards and apply the arithmetic - remember, if you start shooting "10 over your handicap" you're very likely to have a hole or two per round modified - my lad is a 7 point something and his cards certainly contain some mid 80's but his ten best are invariably very consistent, movement quite minimal. I was always mid-teens when I played regularly but seldom moved much more than a stroke (or two at best/worst) from year-to-year.
But I wish my current play could improve by ten strokes per round, maybe it will! Good luck!!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB on Wed 31 Jan 2018, 5:02 pm

I was one of the single digit handicappers who would not give "shots" to a high handicapper golfer.

I was not one of the guys who would say to a buddy  "Play Better".  I would simply tell them that they have no incentive to improve if I gave 2 shots a side if was a 4 Handi and they were and 8 Handi.  (other than pride of course)

Why would the 8 handi try to get his handicap down to a 6 handicap if I was willing to give him 2 shots a side?

There are going to be ways to job the Handicap system, both ways.  To sandbag a handicap, and to get a Vanity Handicap.

I used to play with a Senior Golfer in our "Gangsomes".  16-20 players, dividinging out into 4 or 5 groups playing a two (or three) low balls in a $5 dollar front, back and total format.

This old guy would always have a chance for a par when we got to the green.  If he thought the team needed a par, he would almost always get up and down.  If we had a three birdie putts, he would chunk his chip all the time and take his double bogey.  He wanted to keep his handicap as high as possible.  He was a great D-player for the team, because he would make pars when the team needed them.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer on Thu 01 Feb 2018, 2:16 am

My two cents on the handicap situation.

The year I moved to the US I stopped playing in early August and my UK handicap was 10.5. I didn’t really play again until I joined my current club the following April. It’s target orientated and very penal if offline, typically lost ball for a double or worse rather than a recovery shot for bogey or maybe par.  

I admit I needed to learn the best way to play the course but my handicap started out around 20; can’t remember if that was for my actual index but course handicap definitely hit 20. Playing twice a week from May I was bringing my course handicap down by 1 shot at each revision date (1st and 15th of each month).  I think I reduced my handicap by at least 6 shots that year.

I think the combination of the course rating and handicap index helps create a more realistic handicap when you play a new course however there are things about the system that I don’t necessarily agree with.

The equitable stroke control element is one that I think needs to be looked at. My course handicap this year was in the single digits which means that my maximum score per hole is double bogey. I know I didn’t have a great year but I can’t remember many rounds that I posted that I didn’t reduce my score due to equitable stroke control.

In the active season my last 8 handicap index updates were:
Jul 15: 8.2
Aug 1: 7.7
Aug 15: 7.6
Sep 1: 7.7
Sep 15:7.4
Oct 1: 7.8
Oct 15: 8.3
Nov 1: 8.7

For three months I stayed as a course handicap 9 until October 15 when it moved to 10. My last 20 scores from August 6 to October 29 have just 3 scores in the 70s and 11 of my scores were reduced by 1 to 5 shots. Based on this, and through no fault other than playing bad golf, I think I’m maintaining an artificially low handicap.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Thu 01 Feb 2018, 7:51 am

McLaren wrote:
puligny wrote:

Couldn't agree more with this idea and think that the squash analogy works for matchplay.  Some of my favorite ever mathchplay matches were years when I snuck into club championship knock outs and had to play the best players at the club off scratch.  I was mid teens and off about 6 while they were off 2 or something, but putting up a competitive performance provided more joy than the match being equalized by handicaps.

But did they go for a drink with you afterwards Mac?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman on Thu 01 Feb 2018, 9:39 am

1GrumpyGolfer wrote:My two cents on the handicap situation.

The year I moved to the US I stopped playing in early August and my UK handicap was 10.5. I didn’t really play again until I joined my current club the following April. It’s target orientated and very penal if offline, typically lost ball for a double or worse rather than a recovery shot for bogey or maybe par.  

I admit I needed to learn the best way to play the course but my handicap started out around 20; can’t remember if that was for my actual index but course handicap definitely hit 20. Playing twice a week from May I was bringing my course handicap down by 1 shot at each revision date (1st and 15th of each month).  I think I reduced my handicap by at least 6 shots that year.

I think the combination of the course rating and handicap index helps create a more realistic handicap when you play a new course however there are things about the system that I don’t necessarily agree with.

The equitable stroke control element is one that I think needs to be looked at. My course handicap this year was in the single digits which means that my maximum score per hole is double bogey. I know I didn’t have a great year but I can’t remember many rounds that I posted that I didn’t reduce my score due to equitable stroke control.

For three months I stayed as a course handicap 9 until October 15 when it moved to 10. My last 20 scores from August 6 to October 29 have just 3 scores in the 70s and 11 of my scores were reduced by 1 to 5 shots.  Based on this, and through no fault other than playing bad golf, I think I’m maintaining an artificially low handicap.

If this is just a thinly disguised attempt to get a couple of extra shots off me next time we play you can forget it!  Laugh  Wink

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer on Thu 01 Feb 2018, 3:41 pm

BlueCoverman wrote:
1GrumpyGolfer wrote:My two cents on the handicap situation.

For three months I stayed as a course handicap 9 until October 15 when it moved to 10. My last 20 scores from August 6 to October 29 have just 3 scores in the 70s and 11 of my scores were reduced by 1 to 5 shots.  Based on this, and through no fault other than playing bad golf, I think I’m maintaining an artificially low handicap.

If this is just a thinly disguised attempt to get a couple of extra shots off me next time we play you can forget it!  Laugh  Wink

You mean I should keep quiet about the 75 I shot at a shortened, wide open course at the beginning of December Whistle

To put my net 65 into context my mate, 18 handicap, had a net 62. The course was a lot easier than what we are used to playing, he would have been SOL on a few tee shots rather than on another fairway.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman on Thu 01 Feb 2018, 5:11 pm

What do you mean "should"?...I don't remember you mentioning it when we had a beer over Christmas! Laugh

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong on Sun 04 Feb 2018, 8:16 am

For those in England who want to know more about the new handicapping system, England Golf has lined up a series of workshops. CLICK HERE

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum