The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Groves v Eubank - Don't get too excited !!...

+18
ONETWOFOREVER
Nathaniel Jacobs
The Beast
owen10ozzy
Noble-Surfer
Pedro147
spencerclarke
Baby faced assassin
Steffan
No name Bertie
theanimal316
melv500
hogey
TheSquaredCircle
dave667
Mr Bounce
Herman Jaeger
TRUSSMAN66
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Groves v Eubank - Don't get too excited !!... Empty Groves v Eubank - Don't get too excited !!...

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 11 Feb 2018 - 9:57

One guy is Bigger..Taller..Has a better jab...Punches harder.....Has more experience.....and has a Trainer who seems to very good at sizing up opposition..

Can't see how Eubank wins unless Groves gets old overnight.......Nothing on his record remotely near Groves in class....

Groves TKO 7......Or shut out if Eubank goes into survival mode...

My take anyway....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Groves v Eubank - Don't get too excited !!... Empty Re: Groves v Eubank - Don't get too excited !!...

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 11 Feb 2018 - 14:10

You still got a bee in your bonnet about Eubank haven’t you..

Ramirez favouring Eubank, I think Ramirez against Eubank is some fight

Next Saturday the fight already this is the best opposition for Eubank since Saunders so that’s giving the Groves’ fans some hope I think George’s best chance is a hayemaker coz Eubank won’t be giving away any early rounds this time

Thanks for getting some hype going:

http://www.boxingscene.com/gilberto-ramirez-willing-face-chris-eubank-jr-uk--125139

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Groves v Eubank - Don't get too excited !!... Empty Re: Groves v Eubank - Don't get too excited !!...

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 11 Feb 2018 - 14:30

I don't mind Eubank....Boxing needs characters..

Groves has a better jab...taller and bigger.....Think Eubank is taking too bigger jump in class...

Forrest v Mosley...Is a prime example of a taller guy with a jab dominating a tricky opponent.

Mosley is a better fighter than Eubank..Not sure Forrest was better than Groves..

Can't see Eubank stopping Groves....I can see Groves stopping Eubank though.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sun 11 Feb 2018 - 21:23

I think Eubank (and his Dad) have been running a spectacular "Look at me I'm awesome" social media campaign with precious little to back it up. Groves is no stranger to this as he had the De Gale fight early on in his career and we all know what happened there.

I don't think the Eubanks have cottoned on to the fact that Groves' chin has only been properly cracked once by a British all-timer in Froch (The first fight stoppage was questionable as we all know). He's been 12 competetive rounds with Badou Jack who has turned out to be quite a bit better than we all expected. Groves is no mug. I am with Truss on this - Groves will not be knocked out by Eubank. For all his posturing I don't think he has the power.

There's probably a very good reason that Eubank didn't sign the Golovkin contract.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by dave667 Mon 12 Feb 2018 - 11:49

Morning folks. Groves for me unless Jr catches him early and ref steps in prematurely. Otherwise, GG wins by a couple of rounds or maybe even a late TKO. Kid's never had his chin tested so we don't know if he has his dad's genetics in that department

dave667

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 12 Feb 2018 - 13:25

If this is "the" dave667 nice to see you..

If it isn't... the old dave667 was a "t**t" !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSquaredCircle Mon 12 Feb 2018 - 14:05

For all intents and purposes this is a great fight and fairly close to call at the minute.

Junior has improved since the saunders fight. Appears as though he has matured physically and mentally. I agree that his power is not as convincing as it appears but I think the technique and ferocity with which he executes them appears to break the opponent down.

Groves looks a tired man tbh. His ring craft, experience and obvious power will probably carry him through to the latter half of the fight. His ability to negate the opposing onslaught and effective counter punching was a force to reckon with especially evident in froch 1.

In summary I think junior’s development is plain to see and appears the more fresher of the two. Groves coming through a laboured win against the likes of rebrasse, gutknecht, a bang average cox and a euroish level chudinov does not convince me that he can come through convincingly against junior who seems to be his toughest test since froch.

Groves to be pulled out or junior on points.

TheSquaredCircle

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 12 Feb 2018 - 14:10

Interesting analysis..

Don't forget Eubank hasn't fought anyone in the league of Saunders and that was at 160...

He is fighting a naturally bigger fighter who hits harder than anyone who he has fought before....at 168.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSquaredCircle Mon 12 Feb 2018 - 14:25

In the 3 yrs that have passed since the saunders fight I think eubank junior has improved and filled out well at the weight. Granted Yildirim wasn’t a monster or even that good but size wise the disparity was nowhere near obvious.

Groves maybe naturally bigger but in contrast to the boxer that is saunders, Groves enjoys more time in the pocket and trade. Not sure that’s a good idea against someone who is accumulating semi-KO power to your face repeatedly.

TheSquaredCircle

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 12 Feb 2018 - 14:38

He was 26 when he fought at middle...

He has filled out like other fighters that move up..

But it doesn't make you a natural at that weight...

Punches and takes a shot like a middle...and he was no Hearns at 160..

If he can't hurt Groves...It will be a long night...Becsuse speed apart Groves is better in all departments and has a better jab..

But we see what we see..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by dave667 Mon 12 Feb 2018 - 15:45

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:If this is "the" dave667 nice to see you..

If it isn't... the old dave667 was a "t**t" !!
Nice to see you too, Beefster

dave667

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 12 Feb 2018 - 18:17

Hi Dave -wassup ? Just been released from borstal again ?

Back to top Go down

Post by dave667 Tue 13 Feb 2018 - 11:57

Big boy prison now

dave667

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Tue 13 Feb 2018 - 20:19

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:One guy is Bigger..Taller..Has a better jab...Punches harder.....Has more experience.....and has a Trainer who seems to very good at sizing up opposition..

Can't see how Eubank wins unless Groves gets old overnight.......Nothing on his record remotely near Groves in class....

Groves TKO 7......Or shut out if Eubank goes into survival mode...

My take anyway....

Totally agree with you Truss, except that i think a totally outgunned and outclassed Eubanks Jnr is stopped or pulled out by round 6, he doesnt even have the power to trouble Groves let alone take Groves out like Froch did. Eubanks couldnt even get close to or hurt an unfit BJS at middleweight, Groves is gonna have a field day if Eubanks fights his normal fight leading with uppercuts and leaving himself wide open.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by melv500 Thu 15 Feb 2018 - 10:04

Yeah I agree with all the people and comments siding with Groves. Its a massive step up for Eubank and a much harder task than when he fought and lost to BJS. Just looking at them stood toe to toe the size difference is there to see. groves is a heavy puncher and when Eubank starts getting hit with that jab he will think twice about jumping and unloading like he usually does. Also i think some mind games with the help of Froch going on about his chin but I wouldn't take any notice on that. I seem to remember very momentarily his legs got stiffened early in the O'Sullivan fight so he can be hurt.

Groves biggest weakness is definitely his chin however Eubank is not big puncher. He reminds me of Khan is some respects that he is fast and lands lots of clean shots with KO's coming by accumulation rather than power. I am not saying he cant stop Groves but I just don’t think he will able to land enough to do it.

So for me Groves healthily on points or late KO.

melv500

Back to top Go down

Post by theanimal316 Fri 16 Feb 2018 - 8:17

Agree with the majority,Groves,and handily. Think he will get Eubank out of there after a very brave effort between rounds 7 and 9. He is too big,too good, and Eubank hasn't been in with anyone close to his level.
I think it might play out like the Murray fight,with Groves boxing very well and bashing him up witht he jab, and it remains to be seen how Eubank can take this pubishment. Think it will be a very good watch though,especially if Eubank can gain Groves's respect early.

On any other thread about this fight I have seen (instagram and Facebook mainly) the vast majority are saying Eubank by KO. Am I missing something? Or are perhaps people being tricked by the Eubank name?

theanimal316

Back to top Go down

Post by melv500 Fri 16 Feb 2018 - 11:04

theanimal316 wrote:Agree with the majority,Groves,and handily. Think he will get Eubank out of there after a very brave effort between rounds 7 and 9. He is too big,too good, and Eubank hasn't been in with anyone close to his level.
I think it might play out like the Murray fight,with Groves boxing very well and bashing him up witht he jab, and it remains to be seen how Eubank can take this pubishment. Think it will be a very good watch though,especially if Eubank can gain Groves's respect early.

On any other thread about this fight I have seen (instagram and Facebook mainly) the vast majority are saying Eubank by KO. Am I missing something? Or are perhaps people being tricked by the Eubank name?

Yes I have been seeing Facebook posts on it and almost all of them are backing Eubank. I would say generally most of them just buy into the hype he puts on social media and dont really follow boxing. You will get better opinions based on a bit of actual knowledge on proper boxing boards like this one. Good thing is hype buyers are driving the bookies odds in Eubanks favour so worth a wager on this one I would say.

melv500

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSquaredCircle Fri 16 Feb 2018 - 11:51

I don’t profess to have vast amounts of boxing knowledge which is why of all the boxing forums I find this one the most interesting as we still have the odd knowledgable poster floating about.

Have to say I am surprised at the conviction with which some ppl think Groves will win handily but I guess it has improved my knowledge as to why you guys think this and your analyses.

TheSquaredCircle

Back to top Go down

Post by dave667 Fri 16 Feb 2018 - 14:16

Groves' parting shot today that he would have beaten Eubank Snr is a stroke of genius. Plenty of press men talking about how Jr won the war of the words and George just tosses that line over his shoulder like a grenade in a petting zoo and walks off laughing.

dave667

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Fri 16 Feb 2018 - 20:44

They both weigh in at more or less the same weight Groves 75.8 kg and Eubank Jr at 76.0 kg - but Groves is the "naturally" heavier person, presumably meaning he has bigger bone mass, because you can add on or burn off a certain level of muscle mass.  So Eubank Jr must have added some muscle mass for this fight (?).  Eubank Jr has been fighting at this higher weight since 4 Feb 2017, whereas Groves has been fighting at super-middleweight since at least 2010.  Groves fought at middleweight during his amateur days (2008 and earlier).  

Groves (29) is about 18 months older than Eubank (28), so not much difference in age, and both still relatively "youthful" and in their twenties, though Groves turns thirty next month.  Groves has fought at a higher level in general, but Eubank Jr wasn't too shabby beating good super-middleweights in his last two fights.

Mr Carl Froch says in his opinion he favours Eubank Jr to win, but that Eubank Jr tends to take breathers during the fight and is not as fit as he claims, and he thinks that Groves higher work rate in his jab and his greater punching power could prove his prediction wrong.  So not everyone is going for a Groves victory.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by melv500 Sat 17 Feb 2018 - 8:11

No name Bertie wrote:They both weigh in at more or less the same weight Groves 75.8 kg and Eubank Jr at 76.0 kg - but Groves is the "naturally" heavier person, presumably meaning he has bigger bone mass, because you can add on or burn off a certain level of muscle mass.  So Eubank Jr must have added some muscle mass for this fight (?).  Eubank Jr has been fighting at this higher weight since 4 Feb 2017, whereas Groves has been fighting at super-middleweight since at least 2010.  Groves fought at middleweight during his amateur days (2008 and earlier).  

Groves (29) is about 18 months older than Eubank (28), so not much difference in age, and both still relatively "youthful" and in their twenties, though Groves turns thirty next month.  Groves has fought at a higher level in general, but Eubank Jr wasn't too shabby beating good super-middleweights in his last two fights.

Mr Carl Froch says in his opinion he favours Eubank Jr to win, but that Eubank Jr tends to take breathers during the fight and is not as fit as he claims, and he thinks that Groves higher work rate in his jab and his greater punching power could prove his prediction wrong.  So not everyone is going for a Groves victory.

Interesting on your take on the physical side. Not sure muscle mass is what’s needed for Eubank if it’s a long fight so let’s see.

Froch is in general a decent pundit. But when it comes to himself, his former opponents and especially George Groves his professionalism goes flying out the window and his ego takes over. Due to that I find it hard to take his opinion seriously. I see Squared Circle is banking Eubank and I genuinely take his opinion more seriously than Froch here. At least he isn’t biased and can be objective. I’m still backing Groves but I would take Froch with an enormous pinch of salt here.

melv500

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSquaredCircle Sat 17 Feb 2018 - 12:18

Froch has gone from siding with a Eubank win to sitting on the fence a little.

Interesting that senior is urging the ref to pull groves out early as there is, according to him, a real risk to groves health. Is this through lack of confidence or games? I think the latter probably....guess he’s doing what he needs to, been in the game a long time.

Interesting one this.

TheSquaredCircle

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sat 17 Feb 2018 - 13:09

Don't care who wins and I have bet on a draw

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Baby faced assassin Sat 17 Feb 2018 - 13:13

While I think Groves is going to win I don't think its a cut and dry as the views I've seen on here

Groves carries the power and the experiance but he is vulnerable (prefer this word to chinny as he isn't chinny). He can be worn down and can be pressured, and while he's shown he can go to the well and grind out wins, there is only so many times you can do that and Eubank is fresh and has a good engine. He's not exactly the hardest to get into a tear up either so it'll be interesting to see how he copes if Eubank can close the distance and make it into a brawl

Groves could catch Eubank cold but Jr is fresh and hungry, not to mention he's got decent fundamentals, so stylistically it could be a difficult second half of the fight for Groves

Also side note does Eubank have a history with hand injuries. Every time i've seen him he's wearing 'winning' gloves which are widely regarded as gloves for sparring or those who have hand injuries
Baby faced assassin
Baby faced assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sat 17 Feb 2018 - 16:01

I have paid for the fight anyway. Not happy forking out nearly £17 for this...but got sod all else to do with my life tonight

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSquaredCircle Sat 17 Feb 2018 - 19:23

Tyson thinks eubank will nick it. If his opinion counts for anything nowadays?!

TheSquaredCircle

Back to top Go down

Post by Baby faced assassin Sat 17 Feb 2018 - 19:26

Under card as usual is a bit light....debating whether to buy it or not
Baby faced assassin
Baby faced assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSquaredCircle Sat 17 Feb 2018 - 19:28

Worth buying just to watch Naseem On the MIC

TheSquaredCircle

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Sat 17 Feb 2018 - 19:53

I'm going to go with Groves on points. Starting stronger but fading last few rounds and Eubank coming into it a little bit. As long as it's a good dust up I'll be happy though.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Baby faced assassin Sat 17 Feb 2018 - 20:01

Apparently loads of people having problems with the ITV box office service....ngl not surprised in the least
Baby faced assassin
Baby faced assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by melv500 Sat 17 Feb 2018 - 20:11

I can’t order it. Press submit and it freezes. Website took ages to load too. Fooking amateurs

melv500

Back to top Go down

Post by Baby faced assassin Sat 17 Feb 2018 - 20:29

Just find a free way of watching it
Baby faced assassin
Baby faced assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sat 17 Feb 2018 - 20:39

Mine works fine

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by melv500 Sat 17 Feb 2018 - 20:52

Baby faced assassin wrote:Just find a free way of watching it

Got it working but any suggestions as my mates are struggling to get it?

melv500

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Sat 17 Feb 2018 - 21:11

melv500 wrote:
Baby faced assassin wrote:Just find a free way of watching it

Got it working but any suggestions as my mates are struggling to get it?

Check messages

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by Noble-Surfer Sat 17 Feb 2018 - 21:12

Could you forward that message this way too?

Noble-Surfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Sat 17 Feb 2018 - 21:17

Noble-Surfer wrote:Could you forward that message this way too?

Sent

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by melv500 Sat 17 Feb 2018 - 21:17

Cheers Pedro/Squared Circle

melv500

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSquaredCircle Sat 17 Feb 2018 - 21:24

Always a mistake to underestimate Ryan Walsh. Good fight this but Isaac should win if he’s careful and carries on timing Walsh. Not easy tho

TheSquaredCircle

Back to top Go down

Post by melv500 Sat 17 Feb 2018 - 21:26

Yes key is can he keep up those energy levels. Can’t help but think Walsh is going to catch up with him soon. Good fight.

melv500

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSquaredCircle Sat 17 Feb 2018 - 21:29

Snap melv was thinking exact same. Can see a Hail Mary from Walsh connecting

TheSquaredCircle

Back to top Go down

Post by Noble-Surfer Sat 17 Feb 2018 - 21:33

Pedro147 wrote:Noble-Surfer wrote:
Could you forward that message this way too?

Sent

Cheers

Noble-Surfer

Back to top Go down

Post by melv500 Sat 17 Feb 2018 - 21:40

TheSquaredCircle wrote:Snap melv was thinking exact same. Can see a Hail Mary from Walsh connecting

Fair play to Lowe kept going to the end and good last round from him.  Hard to score this, draw probably seems fair.

melv500

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSquaredCircle Sat 17 Feb 2018 - 22:09

Last edited by TheSquaredCircle on Sun 18 Feb 2018 - 13:18; edited 1 time in total

TheSquaredCircle

Back to top Go down

Post by melv500 Sat 17 Feb 2018 - 22:15

Hahaha I was going to say.....WTF????

melv500

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSquaredCircle Sat 17 Feb 2018 - 22:28

Didn’t think eubank would Poopie himself this much. If he doesn’t overcome his fear it’s game over. The size difference is crazy

TheSquaredCircle

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sat 17 Feb 2018 - 22:31

Jab winning the fight thus far; Eubank wont commit in the right range with his own jab as it leaves him open to the right...which he has already felt power of.

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Baby faced assassin Sat 17 Feb 2018 - 22:35

Landed a few in that round though

Not sure if they hurt groves or not
Baby faced assassin
Baby faced assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by melv500 Sat 17 Feb 2018 - 22:39

Think he felt how heavy Groves shots are. Groves could get ragged though.

melv500

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sat 17 Feb 2018 - 22:43

I have Groves 5-1 up...nullifying everything Eubank does on the inside whilst using that Jab perfectly throughout.

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next