BBC Wales out of running to show Pro 14 next season

Page 4 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

BBC Wales out of running to show Pro 14 next season

Post by RugbyFan100 on Tue 06 Mar 2018, 11:58 am

First topic message reminder :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-43302261

Live coverage of club rugby will not be shown on BBC Two Wales next season after the BBC failed to reach a deal to continue broadcasting the Pro 14 tournament.

Competition organisers are understood to have awarded the UK rights to a pay-TV service, but BBC Wales had hoped to continue broadcasting games in Wales.

It means viewers will no longer be able to watch club games on free-to-air television in English. Negotiations over Welsh language rights are ongoing.

RugbyFan100

Posts : 846
Join date : 2016-10-07

Back to top Go down


Re: BBC Wales out of running to show Pro 14 next season

Post by RugbyFan100 on Tue 06 Mar 2018, 4:07 pm

marty2086 wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
RugbyFan100 wrote:

https://www.premiershiprugby.com/community/bt-and-premiership-rugby-in-exclusive-live-broadcast-deal/



can you please tell me what the current deal is worth?

That deal ran out last season I believe. Hard numbers for the extension (to 2021) are not available but indications are an increase of 80%

They didn't see out that deal sure, they renewed it a few years early in 2015

Yes it's the last deal not the current one. They renewed it on improved terms.

RugbyFan100

Posts : 846
Join date : 2016-10-07

Back to top Go down

Re: BBC Wales out of running to show Pro 14 next season

Post by BamBam on Tue 06 Mar 2018, 4:08 pm

RugbyFan100 wrote:
BamBam wrote:
RugbyFan100 wrote:
BamBam wrote:

Well in England, we've spent the last few years needing to pay for both Sky and BT, I don't recall English fans being up in arms that Wales/Scotland get free to air games, its just been accepted and we get on with it

Erm, that's because Welsh and Scottish fans have also had to get Sky sports and BT Sports because of pro14 and Europe!


No one forced them to - they had the option of just watching the FTA games

We didn't have that in England

You were forced to buy sky sports and bt sports?

By who? I've no idea what you're on about. If you want to watch your team in all gamesyou had to watch via bt sports and sky sports. same as me.

No, not forced at all - chose to do so

Equally, if Wales fans choose to watch all games, they pay for the privilege

Just like fans of Premier League football, or any other sport. Pay whatever the market rate is in the country that you live in. Overseas football fans pay a fraction of the cost that we do in the UK, who cares

BamBam

Posts : 13226
Join date : 2011-03-17
Age : 28

Back to top Go down

Re: BBC Wales out of running to show Pro 14 next season

Post by BamBam on Tue 06 Mar 2018, 4:11 pm

RugbyFan100 wrote:
BamBam wrote:SuperSport shows the Pro14, why isn't that relevant? South Africa is another country which features teams in the Pro14, its just as relevant as Ireland is surely?

Supersport is not a broadcaster in UK and Ireland, which is the market we are discussing. Because that's where our teams play.


EIR Sport isn't a broadcaster in the UK either, what's the difference?

BamBam

Posts : 13226
Join date : 2011-03-17
Age : 28

Back to top Go down

Re: BBC Wales out of running to show Pro 14 next season

Post by RugbyFan100 on Tue 06 Mar 2018, 4:12 pm

BamBam wrote:
RugbyFan100 wrote:
BamBam wrote:
RugbyFan100 wrote:
BamBam wrote:

Well in England, we've spent the last few years needing to pay for both Sky and BT, I don't recall English fans being up in arms that Wales/Scotland get free to air games, its just been accepted and we get on with it

Erm, that's because Welsh and Scottish fans have also had to get Sky sports and BT Sports because of pro14 and Europe!


No one forced them to - they had the option of just watching the FTA games

We didn't have that in England

You were forced to buy sky sports and bt sports?

By who? I've no idea what you're on about. If you want to watch your team in all gamesyou had to watch via bt sports and sky sports. same as me.

No, not forced at all - chose to do so

Equally, if Wales fans choose to watch all games, they pay for the privilege

Just like fans of Premier League football, or any other sport. Pay whatever the market rate is in the country that you live in. Overseas football fans pay a fraction of the cost that we do in the UK, who cares

All bluster. The new deal has completely skewed the market, as I've said countless times. It is the same market but being charged differently in different locations of that market. The fans will vote on their feet on this one I expect. You can deny it all you want but people arent going to shed out for multiple subscriptions on this.

The majority of people won't realise it until the first weekend of the pro14 hits next season. We'll see how that goes I guess.

RugbyFan100

Posts : 846
Join date : 2016-10-07

Back to top Go down

Re: BBC Wales out of running to show Pro 14 next season

Post by LordDowlais on Tue 06 Mar 2018, 4:13 pm

BamBam wrote:You are assuming you know more than the very smart people who work in commercial finance for these companies, they haven't just bid for Pro 14 rights because it will pee off RugbyFan and Lord Dowlais on 606v2, they obviously think there is a commercial opportunity to generate revenue through subscriptions and advertising

Funny you say that, because nobody is saying anything about other channels being outbid, it's just saying that BBC Wales will not be showing games as the Pro14 did not accept their significantly increased financial bid.

BamBam wrote:Is it market quantity or quality? If I'm marketing a high end product, there's no point me sticking up a billboard in some deadbeat area, I want my advert to be in affluent areas

Similarly, advertising to a more targeted base could pay off for marketing companies.

So you reckon it will be mostly Irish companies wanting to advertise during the rugby ? Or do you reckon only people in affluent areas can afford the subscription ?

LordDowlais

Posts : 12029
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: BBC Wales out of running to show Pro 14 next season

Post by RugbyFan100 on Tue 06 Mar 2018, 4:13 pm

BamBam wrote:
RugbyFan100 wrote:
BamBam wrote:SuperSport shows the Pro14, why isn't that relevant? South Africa is another country which features teams in the Pro14, its just as relevant as Ireland is surely?

Supersport is not a broadcaster in UK and Ireland, which is the market we are discussing. Because that's where our teams play.


EIR Sport isn't a broadcaster in the UK either, what's the difference?

The difference (6th time I've said it now) is that it was bidding for some of the same rights as broadcasters based in the UK

RugbyFan100

Posts : 846
Join date : 2016-10-07

Back to top Go down

Re: BBC Wales out of running to show Pro 14 next season

Post by marty2086 on Tue 06 Mar 2018, 4:14 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:Audiences will be lost trust me, viewing figures for BBC Wales are 100,000+. Pay per view TV will not get that audience.

That's how it tends to work but it's still worth more in tv and advertising revenues for everyone because those spending money in theory therefore have more disposable income and are worth in the eyes of marketers

I'm sorry, but seriously, you need to re-engage your brain.

What you are trying to tell me is, that marketers, will pay more, to market their products, to a smaller market audience.

Come on. Laugh


I don't need to, having actually studied the subject

Ad executives segment the different social classes. In their eyes 1 upper class is equal to 3 middle class which is equal to 10 because those social classes are seen as having more disposable income. (N.B. All figures are guesstimates)

Someone willing to invest in subscription tv is seen as having more disposable income so has more value

marty2086

Posts : 9387
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 32
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: BBC Wales out of running to show Pro 14 next season

Post by marty2086 on Tue 06 Mar 2018, 4:15 pm

RugbyFan100 wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
RugbyFan100 wrote:

https://www.premiershiprugby.com/community/bt-and-premiership-rugby-in-exclusive-live-broadcast-deal/



can you please tell me what the current deal is worth?

That deal ran out last season I believe. Hard numbers for the extension (to 2021) are not available but indications are an increase of 80%

They didn't see out that deal sure, they renewed it a few years early in 2015

Yes it's the last deal not the current one. They renewed it on improved terms.

Which were?

marty2086

Posts : 9387
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 32
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: BBC Wales out of running to show Pro 14 next season

Post by RugbyFan100 on Tue 06 Mar 2018, 4:17 pm

marty2086 wrote:
RugbyFan100 wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
RugbyFan100 wrote:

https://www.premiershiprugby.com/community/bt-and-premiership-rugby-in-exclusive-live-broadcast-deal/



can you please tell me what the current deal is worth?

That deal ran out last season I believe. Hard numbers for the extension (to 2021) are not available but indications are an increase of 80%

They didn't see out that deal sure, they renewed it a few years early in 2015

Yes it's the last deal not the current one. They renewed it on improved terms.

Which were?

£42m per annum

(2nd time I've said that now)

RugbyFan100

Posts : 846
Join date : 2016-10-07

Back to top Go down

Re: BBC Wales out of running to show Pro 14 next season

Post by marty2086 on Tue 06 Mar 2018, 4:17 pm

RugbyFan100 wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
RugbyFan100 wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
RugbyFan100 wrote:

https://www.premiershiprugby.com/community/bt-and-premiership-rugby-in-exclusive-live-broadcast-deal/



can you please tell me what the current deal is worth?

That deal ran out last season I believe. Hard numbers for the extension (to 2021) are not available but indications are an increase of 80%

They didn't see out that deal sure, they renewed it a few years early in 2015

Yes it's the last deal not the current one. They renewed it on improved terms.

Which were?

£42m per annum

(2nd time I've said that now)

Really? And where did the AP announce that?

marty2086

Posts : 9387
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 32
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: BBC Wales out of running to show Pro 14 next season

Post by RugbyFan100 on Tue 06 Mar 2018, 4:19 pm

marty2086 wrote:

Really? And where did the AP announce that?

I have no idea

(we have literally just had this converstaion further up the page)

RugbyFan100

Posts : 846
Join date : 2016-10-07

Back to top Go down

Re: BBC Wales out of running to show Pro 14 next season

Post by marty2086 on Tue 06 Mar 2018, 4:20 pm

RugbyFan100 wrote:
marty2086 wrote:

Really? And where did the AP announce that?

I have no idea

(we have literally just had this converstaion further up the page)

So what are they hiding by not announcing it?

marty2086

Posts : 9387
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 32
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: BBC Wales out of running to show Pro 14 next season

Post by LordDowlais on Tue 06 Mar 2018, 4:22 pm

marty2086 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:Audiences will be lost trust me, viewing figures for BBC Wales are 100,000+. Pay per view TV will not get that audience.

That's how it tends to work but it's still worth more in tv and advertising revenues for everyone because those spending money in theory therefore have more disposable income and are worth in the eyes of marketers

I'm sorry, but seriously, you need to re-engage your brain.

What you are trying to tell me is, that marketers, will pay more, to market their products, to a smaller market audience.

Come on. Laugh


I don't need to, having actually studied the subject

Ad executives segment the different social classes. In their eyes 1 upper class is equal to 3 middle class which is equal to 10 because those social classes are seen as having more disposable income. (N.B. All figures are guesstimates)

Someone willing to invest in subscription tv is seen as having more disposable income so has more value


Well there must be tonnes of these upper class people in Ireland then who these marketing people can target. You will not find many around the Welsh valleys. Rolling Eyes

You are grasping at straws here.

I like the Pro14, I like the fact that everybody from all walks of life can get access to it and not just a privileged few who can afford pay per view.

Trust me, this will KILL the league in Wales. It is treading water here as it is. I am sure it would be the same in Scotland.

This is the biggest bolluck drop ever. But I will happily come back on here and admit it if I am proved wrong in a year or two, but I doubt that very much.

LordDowlais

Posts : 12029
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: BBC Wales out of running to show Pro 14 next season

Post by BamBam on Tue 06 Mar 2018, 4:22 pm

The UK is one market
Ireland is another

How can they possibly be the same? Separate countries!

BamBam

Posts : 13226
Join date : 2011-03-17
Age : 28

Back to top Go down

Re: BBC Wales out of running to show Pro 14 next season

Post by RugbyFan100 on Tue 06 Mar 2018, 4:22 pm

marty2086 wrote:
RugbyFan100 wrote:
marty2086 wrote:

Really? And where did the AP announce that?

I have no idea

(we have literally just had this converstaion further up the page)

So what are they hiding by not announcing it?

No idea. £42 m seems fine to me.

RugbyFan100

Posts : 846
Join date : 2016-10-07

Back to top Go down

Re: BBC Wales out of running to show Pro 14 next season

Post by LordDowlais on Tue 06 Mar 2018, 4:23 pm

BamBam wrote:The UK is one market
Ireland is another

How can they possibly be the same? Separate countries!

So who are they going to target then ?

Will I be able to watch a Welsh region play a Scottish team on these channels ?

Or will I have to wait until they play a province ?


Last edited by LordDowlais on Tue 06 Mar 2018, 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

LordDowlais

Posts : 12029
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: BBC Wales out of running to show Pro 14 next season

Post by RugbyFan100 on Tue 06 Mar 2018, 4:24 pm

BamBam wrote:The UK is one market
Ireland is another

How can they possibly be the same? Separate countries!

So how can Sky Sports put in an exclusive bid for all pro 14 rugby in those countries?
That would have meant the same number of subcriptions. In all Uk and Ireland countries.

But no. They fecked it. And we have to pay for it.


RugbyFan100

Posts : 846
Join date : 2016-10-07

Back to top Go down

Re: BBC Wales out of running to show Pro 14 next season

Post by marty2086 on Tue 06 Mar 2018, 4:24 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:Audiences will be lost trust me, viewing figures for BBC Wales are 100,000+. Pay per view TV will not get that audience.

That's how it tends to work but it's still worth more in tv and advertising revenues for everyone because those spending money in theory therefore have more disposable income and are worth in the eyes of marketers

I'm sorry, but seriously, you need to re-engage your brain.

What you are trying to tell me is, that marketers, will pay more, to market their products, to a smaller market audience.

Come on. Laugh


I don't need to, having actually studied the subject

Ad executives segment the different social classes. In their eyes 1 upper class is equal to 3 middle class which is equal to 10 because those social classes are seen as having more disposable income. (N.B. All figures are guesstimates)

Someone willing to invest in subscription tv is seen as having more disposable income so has more value


Well there must be tonnes of these upper class people in Ireland then who these marketing people can target. You will not find many around the Welsh valleys. Rolling Eyes

You are grasping at straws here.

I like the Pro14, I like the fact that everybody from all walks of life can get access to it and not just a privileged few who can afford pay per view.

Trust me, this will KILL the league in Wales. It is treading water here as it is. I am sure it would be the same in Scotland.

This is the biggest bolluck drop ever. But I will happily come back on here and admit it if I am proved wrong in a year or two, but I doubt that very much.

How am I grasping at straws? This is how it works, they said the PL going to Sky would kill English football, it's now the richest league in the world. The league didn't die when it was on Setanta and it was at a lower ebb then than it is now

marty2086

Posts : 9387
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 32
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: BBC Wales out of running to show Pro 14 next season

Post by marty2086 on Tue 06 Mar 2018, 4:25 pm

RugbyFan100 wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
RugbyFan100 wrote:
marty2086 wrote:

Really? And where did the AP announce that?

I have no idea

(we have literally just had this converstaion further up the page)

So what are they hiding by not announcing it?

No idea. £42 m seems fine to me.

Well you said the Pro14 not announcing things was proof they were hiding something, the AP didn't announce anything but the logic doesn't apply there? Headscratch

marty2086

Posts : 9387
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 32
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: BBC Wales out of running to show Pro 14 next season

Post by BamBam on Tue 06 Mar 2018, 4:26 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
BamBam wrote:You are assuming you know more than the very smart people who work in commercial finance for these companies, they haven't just bid for Pro 14 rights because it will pee off RugbyFan and Lord Dowlais on 606v2, they obviously think there is a commercial opportunity to generate revenue through subscriptions and advertising

Funny you say that, because nobody is saying anything about other channels being outbid, it's just saying that BBC Wales will not be showing games as the Pro14 did not accept their significantly increased financial bid.

BamBam wrote:Is it market quantity or quality? If I'm marketing a high end product, there's no point me sticking up a billboard in some deadbeat area, I want my advert to be in affluent areas

Similarly, advertising to a more targeted base could pay off for marketing companies.

So you reckon it will be mostly Irish companies wanting to advertise during the rugby ? Or do you reckon only people in affluent areas can afford the subscription ?

Why would anyone be admitting they were outbid? The BBC works on a very different way to a commercially funded operator, they view it as a public service to let their viewers know that something will not be shown in the future. Sky never even mention events that they don't have the rights for

No, I don't think it will be Irish companies - why would Irish companies want to advertise in the UK unless they are selling their products here? People in affluent areas was an analogy as to what their thinking would be - in this case they would view customers willing to pay for TV as having higher disposable incomes, and being more attractive targets for their advertising

BamBam

Posts : 13226
Join date : 2011-03-17
Age : 28

Back to top Go down

Re: BBC Wales out of running to show Pro 14 next season

Post by RugbyFan100 on Tue 06 Mar 2018, 4:28 pm

marty2086 wrote:

Well you said the Pro14 not announcing things was proof they were hiding something,

Can you find that post of mine that said it would "be proof they were hiding something" please

Thanks in advance.

RugbyFan100

Posts : 846
Join date : 2016-10-07

Back to top Go down

Re: BBC Wales out of running to show Pro 14 next season

Post by LordDowlais on Tue 06 Mar 2018, 4:31 pm

marty2086 wrote:How am I grasping at straws? This is how it works, they said the PL going to Sky would kill English football, it's now the richest league in the world. The league didn't die when it was on Setanta and it was at a lower ebb then than it is now

OMG.

The premier league is on a channel aimed at the audience it was made for. Why are you not seeing this ?

I now need to buy an Irish channel or two or three just to watch a WELSH team on the tele. It's not like me or you wanting to watch Liverpool.

Anyway, you will lose the rights from BBC NI. That will properly bugger up your Friday night rugby for you. Unless Ulster get ALL the Friday night slots on these new channels, which will be another reason why I would not want these other channels.

I will be paying extra, for limited access to the Welsh sides on the tele. I do not know if an Irish channel will even show the Welsh regions.


LordDowlais

Posts : 12029
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: BBC Wales out of running to show Pro 14 next season

Post by BamBam on Tue 06 Mar 2018, 4:31 pm

RugbyFan100 wrote:
BamBam wrote:The UK is one market
Ireland is another

How can they possibly be the same? Separate countries!

So how can Sky Sports put in an exclusive bid for all pro 14 rugby in those countries?
That would have meant the same number of subcriptions. In all Uk and Ireland countries.

But no. They fecked it. And we have to pay for it.


Why do you want to force Irish fans to pay for an extra subscription? If you're paying for two anyway, why do you care?

BamBam

Posts : 13226
Join date : 2011-03-17
Age : 28

Back to top Go down

Re: BBC Wales out of running to show Pro 14 next season

Post by LordDowlais on Tue 06 Mar 2018, 4:32 pm

BamBam wrote:No, I don't think it will be Irish companies - why would Irish companies want to advertise in the UK unless they are selling their products here? People in affluent areas was an analogy as to what their thinking would be - in this case they would view customers willing to pay for TV as having higher disposable incomes, and being more attractive targets for their advertising

You do realise that these channels are Irish t.v channels don't you ?

LordDowlais

Posts : 12029
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: BBC Wales out of running to show Pro 14 next season

Post by marty2086 on Tue 06 Mar 2018, 4:32 pm

RugbyFan100 wrote:
marty2086 wrote:

Well you said the Pro14 not announcing things was proof they were hiding something,  

Can you find that post of mine that said it would "be proof they were hiding something" please

Thanks in advance.

'I doubt the pro14 will reveal it's tv deal figures anyway, which will be telling'


marty2086

Posts : 9387
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 32
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: BBC Wales out of running to show Pro 14 next season

Post by marty2086 on Tue 06 Mar 2018, 4:33 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
marty2086 wrote:How am I grasping at straws? This is how it works, they said the PL going to Sky would kill English football, it's now the richest league in the world. The league didn't die when it was on Setanta and it was at a lower ebb then than it is now

OMG.

The premier league is on a channel aimed at the audience it was made for. Why are you not seeing this ?

I now need to buy an Irish channel or two or three just to watch a WELSH team on the tele. It's not like me or you wanting to watch Liverpool.

Anyway, you will lose the rights from BBC NI. That will properly bugger up your Friday night rugby for you. Unless Ulster get ALL the Friday night slots on these new channels, which will be another reason why I would not want these other channels.

I will be paying extra, for limited access to the Welsh sides on the tele. I do not know if an Irish channel will even show the Welsh regions.


picard

What is true now wasn't true in 1991 or 1992


marty2086

Posts : 9387
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 32
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: BBC Wales out of running to show Pro 14 next season

Post by BamBam on Tue 06 Mar 2018, 4:33 pm

LordDowlais wrote:

I now need to buy an Irish channel or two or three just to watch a WELSH team on the tele. It's not like me or you wanting to watch Liverpool.


No, you need to buy a subscription to a channel to watch your team play.

The fact that the channel is Irish or your team is Welsh is not relevant

Do Swansea/Cardiff football fans complain that they need to buy BT and Sky to watch their team play? Both English channels after all

BamBam

Posts : 13226
Join date : 2011-03-17
Age : 28

Back to top Go down

Re: BBC Wales out of running to show Pro 14 next season

Post by marty2086 on Tue 06 Mar 2018, 4:34 pm

BamBam wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

I now need to buy an Irish channel or two or three just to watch a WELSH team on the tele. It's not like me or you wanting to watch Liverpool.


No, you need to buy a subscription to a channel to watch your team play.

The fact that the channel is Irish or your team is Welsh is not relevant

Do Swansea/Cardiff football fans complain that they need to buy BT and Sky to watch their team play? Both English channels after all

He has nothing against the Irish he says Rolling Eyes

marty2086

Posts : 9387
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 32
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: BBC Wales out of running to show Pro 14 next season

Post by No 7&1/2 on Tue 06 Mar 2018, 4:39 pm

So to make everyone happy it needs to be a bid for one set of rights. Except for sa and italy. And needs to be for the most money. Unless it's an irish tv company. And everyone needs to pay exactly the same and not have to watch on 2 or more channels.

No 7&1/2

Posts : 15498
Join date : 2012-10-20

Back to top Go down

Re: BBC Wales out of running to show Pro 14 next season

Post by LordDowlais on Tue 06 Mar 2018, 4:39 pm

BamBam wrote:No, you need to buy a subscription to a channel to watch your team play.

And how often will they be shown ? You are not getting this. Lets say Munster are playing Zebre, or Treviso, or Cheetahs. Will they then show Ospreys V Edinburgh ? Who would you reckon they would prioritise ? This channel is an Irish channel aimed at the Irish audience after all.

BamBam wrote:The fact that the channel is Irish or your team is Welsh is not relevant

Yes it is actually, we have had BBC Wales airing games for the viewers IN WALES. Everybody had access to their region, whether they could afford it or not.

BamBam wrote:Do Swansea/Cardiff football fans complain that they need to buy BT and Sky to watch their team play? Both English channels after all

Again, why are we bringing the football into this ? It's not the same, as I would readily accept that most of the fans of those clubs are quite happy to watch Liverool or MUFC as well.

LordDowlais

Posts : 12029
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: BBC Wales out of running to show Pro 14 next season

Post by LordDowlais on Tue 06 Mar 2018, 4:41 pm

marty2086 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
marty2086 wrote:How am I grasping at straws? This is how it works, they said the PL going to Sky would kill English football, it's now the richest league in the world. The league didn't die when it was on Setanta and it was at a lower ebb then than it is now

OMG.

The premier league is on a channel aimed at the audience it was made for. Why are you not seeing this ?

I now need to buy an Irish channel or two or three just to watch a WELSH team on the tele. It's not like me or you wanting to watch Liverpool.

Anyway, you will lose the rights from BBC NI. That will properly bugger up your Friday night rugby for you. Unless Ulster get ALL the Friday night slots on these new channels, which will be another reason why I would not want these other channels.

I will be paying extra, for limited access to the Welsh sides on the tele. I do not know if an Irish channel will even show the Welsh regions.


picard

What is true now wasn't true in 1991 or 1992


What wasn't true ?

LordDowlais

Posts : 12029
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: BBC Wales out of running to show Pro 14 next season

Post by No 7&1/2 on Tue 06 Mar 2018, 4:41 pm

And now another point they want the tv deal set up so they watch their favourite club every week.

No 7&1/2

Posts : 15498
Join date : 2012-10-20

Back to top Go down

Re: BBC Wales out of running to show Pro 14 next season

Post by marty2086 on Tue 06 Mar 2018, 4:42 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
BamBam wrote:No, you need to buy a subscription to a channel to watch your team play.

And how often will they be shown ? You are not getting this. Lets say Munster are playing Zebre, or Treviso, or Cheetahs. Will they then show Ospreys V Edinburgh ? Who would you reckon they would prioritise ? This channel is an Irish channel aimed at the Irish audience after all.

No genius you aren't getting it, they won't be shown it in Ireland they will be showing it in the UK, Eir sports will be showing it in Ireland Rolling Eyes

marty2086

Posts : 9387
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 32
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: BBC Wales out of running to show Pro 14 next season

Post by marty2086 on Tue 06 Mar 2018, 4:44 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
marty2086 wrote:How am I grasping at straws? This is how it works, they said the PL going to Sky would kill English football, it's now the richest league in the world. The league didn't die when it was on Setanta and it was at a lower ebb then than it is now

OMG.

The premier league is on a channel aimed at the audience it was made for. Why are you not seeing this ?

I now need to buy an Irish channel or two or three just to watch a WELSH team on the tele. It's not like me or you wanting to watch Liverpool.

Anyway, you will lose the rights from BBC NI. That will properly bugger up your Friday night rugby for you. Unless Ulster get ALL the Friday night slots on these new channels, which will be another reason why I would not want these other channels.

I will be paying extra, for limited access to the Welsh sides on the tele. I do not know if an Irish channel will even show the Welsh regions.


picard

What is true now wasn't true in 1991 or 1992


What wasn't true ?

That the Premier League is on a channel aimed at the audience it is meant for, very few had satellite dishes in the early 90s and those that did were generally more well off whereas football was seen as a more working class game. It was being used as the bait to draw in more customers like Pro14 will be used by any new broadcasters, like BT did with most of their sports rights deals

marty2086

Posts : 9387
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 32
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: BBC Wales out of running to show Pro 14 next season

Post by LordDowlais on Tue 06 Mar 2018, 4:45 pm

marty2086 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
BamBam wrote:No, you need to buy a subscription to a channel to watch your team play.

And how often will they be shown ? You are not getting this. Lets say Munster are playing Zebre, or Treviso, or Cheetahs. Will they then show Ospreys V Edinburgh ? Who would you reckon they would prioritise ? This channel is an Irish channel aimed at the Irish audience after all.

No genius you aren't getting it, they won't be shown it in Ireland they will be showing it in the UK, Eir sports will be showing it in Ireland Rolling Eyes

SO WHAT CHANNELS DO I NEED TO BUY THEN GENIUS ??????????????????????????????

LordDowlais

Posts : 12029
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: BBC Wales out of running to show Pro 14 next season

Post by LordDowlais on Tue 06 Mar 2018, 4:46 pm

marty2086 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
marty2086 wrote:How am I grasping at straws? This is how it works, they said the PL going to Sky would kill English football, it's now the richest league in the world. The league didn't die when it was on Setanta and it was at a lower ebb then than it is now

OMG.

The premier league is on a channel aimed at the audience it was made for. Why are you not seeing this ?

I now need to buy an Irish channel or two or three just to watch a WELSH team on the tele. It's not like me or you wanting to watch Liverpool.

Anyway, you will lose the rights from BBC NI. That will properly bugger up your Friday night rugby for you. Unless Ulster get ALL the Friday night slots on these new channels, which will be another reason why I would not want these other channels.

I will be paying extra, for limited access to the Welsh sides on the tele. I do not know if an Irish channel will even show the Welsh regions.


picard

What is true now wasn't true in 1991 or 1992


What wasn't true ?

That the Premier League is on a channel aimed at the audience it is meant for, very few had satellite dishes in the early 90s and those that did were generally more well off whereas football was seen as a more working class game. It was being used as the bait to draw in more customers like Pro14 will be used by any new broadcasters, like BT did with most of their sports rights deals  

But the football was not on free to air TV either, unless it was the F.A Cup.

LordDowlais

Posts : 12029
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: BBC Wales out of running to show Pro 14 next season

Post by marty2086 on Tue 06 Mar 2018, 4:47 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
BamBam wrote:No, you need to buy a subscription to a channel to watch your team play.

And how often will they be shown ? You are not getting this. Lets say Munster are playing Zebre, or Treviso, or Cheetahs. Will they then show Ospreys V Edinburgh ? Who would you reckon they would prioritise ? This channel is an Irish channel aimed at the Irish audience after all.

No genius you aren't getting it, they won't be shown it in Ireland they will be showing it in the UK, Eir sports will be showing it in Ireland Rolling Eyes

SO WHAT CHANNELS DO I NEED TO BUY THEN GENIUS ??????????????????????????????

He's using caps, he's gone all green too I bet

Given no announcements been made we don't know but seemingly Premier Sports

marty2086

Posts : 9387
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 32
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: BBC Wales out of running to show Pro 14 next season

Post by BamBam on Tue 06 Mar 2018, 4:48 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
BamBam wrote:No, you need to buy a subscription to a channel to watch your team play.

And how often will they be shown ? You are not getting this. Lets say Munster are playing Zebre, or Treviso, or Cheetahs. Will they then show Ospreys V Edinburgh ? Who would you reckon they would prioritise ? This channel is an Irish channel aimed at the Irish audience after all.

Going back to the earlier point - Premier Sports have bought the rights to show in the UK market. If they want to get (and keep) subscription revenue, they need to appeal to the viewers in the UK market - that is the Welsh and Scots in reality. Any prospective advertises want to see subscription numbers at a strong level.

Commercially, why would Premier Sports buy the UK rights to appeal to the Irish viewers? It makes no sense

LordDowlais wrote:
BamBam wrote:The fact that the channel is Irish or your team is Welsh is not relevant


Yes it is actually, we have had BBC Wales airing games for the viewers IN WALES. Everybody had access to their region, whether they could afford it or not.

Yes, BBC giving FTA games was great. As soon as it moves to a pay tv platform, does it matter if the channel owners are Welsh, Irish, or from Timbuktoo? You are paying for a TV service, as long as the game is shown on your TV when you expect it to be, the nationality or tax residency of the company makes no difference

LordDowlais wrote:
BamBam wrote:Do Swansea/Cardiff football fans complain that they need to buy BT and Sky to watch their team play? Both English channels after all

Again, why are we bringing the football into this ? It's not the same, as I would readily accept that most of the fans of those clubs are quite happy to watch Liverool or MUFC as well.

The football just shows that it is the norm for most sports in this day and age. You can use cricket for a similar argument if you prefer - why do England fans have to pay for both Sky and BT to watch their cricket team?

BamBam

Posts : 13226
Join date : 2011-03-17
Age : 28

Back to top Go down

Re: BBC Wales out of running to show Pro 14 next season

Post by marty2086 on Tue 06 Mar 2018, 4:48 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
marty2086 wrote:How am I grasping at straws? This is how it works, they said the PL going to Sky would kill English football, it's now the richest league in the world. The league didn't die when it was on Setanta and it was at a lower ebb then than it is now

OMG.

The premier league is on a channel aimed at the audience it was made for. Why are you not seeing this ?

I now need to buy an Irish channel or two or three just to watch a WELSH team on the tele. It's not like me or you wanting to watch Liverpool.

Anyway, you will lose the rights from BBC NI. That will properly bugger up your Friday night rugby for you. Unless Ulster get ALL the Friday night slots on these new channels, which will be another reason why I would not want these other channels.

I will be paying extra, for limited access to the Welsh sides on the tele. I do not know if an Irish channel will even show the Welsh regions.



picard

What is true now wasn't true in 1991 or 1992


What wasn't true ?

That the Premier League is on a channel aimed at the audience it is meant for, very few had satellite dishes in the early 90s and those that did were generally more well off whereas football was seen as a more working class game. It was being used as the bait to draw in more customers like Pro14 will be used by any new broadcasters, like BT did with most of their sports rights deals  

But the football was not on free to air TV either, unless it was the F.A Cup.

Except it was, ITV had started showing some games live in the years before the Premier League and they were set initially set to get the Premier League before Sky gazumped them


Last edited by marty2086 on Tue 06 Mar 2018, 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

marty2086

Posts : 9387
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 32
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: BBC Wales out of running to show Pro 14 next season

Post by No 7&1/2 on Tue 06 Mar 2018, 4:52 pm

Stop being so tight and fork out some money. Or don't and just watch he aviva prem highlights.

No 7&1/2

Posts : 15498
Join date : 2012-10-20

Back to top Go down

Re: BBC Wales out of running to show Pro 14 next season

Post by LordDowlais on Tue 06 Mar 2018, 4:52 pm

marty2086 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
BamBam wrote:No, you need to buy a subscription to a channel to watch your team play.

And how often will they be shown ? You are not getting this. Lets say Munster are playing Zebre, or Treviso, or Cheetahs. Will they then show Ospreys V Edinburgh ? Who would you reckon they would prioritise ? This channel is an Irish channel aimed at the Irish audience after all.

No genius you aren't getting it, they won't be shown it in Ireland they will be showing it in the UK, Eir sports will be showing it in Ireland Rolling Eyes

SO WHAT CHANNELS DO I NEED TO BUY THEN GENIUS ??????????????????????????????

He's using caps, he's gone all green too I bet

Given no announcements been made we don't know but seemingly Premier Sports


I asked earlier, whats the difference between all these channels, because I am not Irish, I am not familiar with them. I am not alone either, I will be very supprised if the subscibers will be over a thousand here in Wales to these new fandangled channels. I cannot see there being a large subscription in Scotland either, not unless these channels show the SPL.

LordDowlais

Posts : 12029
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: BBC Wales out of running to show Pro 14 next season

Post by marty2086 on Tue 06 Mar 2018, 4:54 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
BamBam wrote:No, you need to buy a subscription to a channel to watch your team play.

And how often will they be shown ? You are not getting this. Lets say Munster are playing Zebre, or Treviso, or Cheetahs. Will they then show Ospreys V Edinburgh ? Who would you reckon they would prioritise ? This channel is an Irish channel aimed at the Irish audience after all.

No genius you aren't getting it, they won't be shown it in Ireland they will be showing it in the UK, Eir sports will be showing it in Ireland Rolling Eyes

SO WHAT CHANNELS DO I NEED TO BUY THEN GENIUS ??????????????????????????????

He's using caps, he's gone all green too I bet

Given no announcements been made we don't know but seemingly Premier Sports


I asked earlier, whats the difference between all these channels, because I am not Irish, I am not familiar with them. I am not alone either, I will be very supprised if the subscibers will be over a thousand here in Wales to these new fandangled channels. I cannot see there being a large subscription in Scotland either, not unless these channels show the SPL.

They've been around nearly 10 years, that's longer than BT so not new fangled

marty2086

Posts : 9387
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 32
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: BBC Wales out of running to show Pro 14 next season

Post by LordDowlais on Tue 06 Mar 2018, 4:58 pm

BamBam wrote:Going back to the earlier point - Premier Sports have bought the rights to show in the UK market. If they want to get (and keep) subscription revenue, they need to appeal to the viewers in the UK market - that is the Welsh and Scots in reality. Any prospective advertises want to see subscription numbers at a strong level.

Commercially, why would Premier Sports buy the UK rights to appeal to the Irish viewers? It makes no sense

I know nothing about these channels, what else would they be showing ? Or is it just going to be Pro14 ? All the other sport has been purchased, unless they are going to show some of the Irish sports, hurling ect.

I will be very suprised if they get over 1000 subscribers here in Wales, or even Scotland.

BamBam wrote:Yes, BBC giving FTA games was great. As soon as it moves to a pay tv platform, does it matter if the channel owners are Welsh, Irish, or from Timbuktoo? You are paying for a TV service, as long as the game is shown on your TV when you expect it to be, the nationality or tax residency of the company makes no difference

The country does not matter, not to me anyway. But we had BBC Wales who would prioritise the Welsh regional games. There was always one to watch. Also it gave everybody access to the game here in Wales, even for those who cannot afford it.

BamBam wrote:The football just shows that it is the norm for most sports in this day and age. You can use cricket for a similar argument if you prefer - why do England fans have to pay for both Sky and BT to watch their cricket team?

The same reason as I have to pay for both to watch the Welsh regions in Europe.

LordDowlais

Posts : 12029
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: BBC Wales out of running to show Pro 14 next season

Post by carpet baboon on Tue 06 Mar 2018, 4:59 pm

So I have just read 4 pages of people arguing about something. Something that is not yet know.
Something that has not been finalised.
Something that has only very limited information in the public domain.
Yet already it is
Unfair
For the Irish only
The death of rugby in Wales
A major disaster
And the death of the pro14.

You lot have some serious time on your hands


Last edited by carpet baboon on Tue 06 Mar 2018, 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

carpet baboon

Posts : 1829
Join date : 2014-05-08
Location : Midlands

Back to top Go down

Re: BBC Wales out of running to show Pro 14 next season

Post by No 7&1/2 on Tue 06 Mar 2018, 5:00 pm

Is it just you've been spoilt then ld. I support boro in the footy. Lucky if they're on 5 times a season. Should the championship be ensuring here in more?

No 7&1/2

Posts : 15498
Join date : 2012-10-20

Back to top Go down

Re: BBC Wales out of running to show Pro 14 next season

Post by BamBam on Tue 06 Mar 2018, 5:05 pm

Google is your friend LD

http://www.premiersports.com/

Does it matter though? You're paying to watch Pro 14, anything else is a bonus

I think until they start showing games, and details of their deal is revealed, its silly to assume they won't be showing Welsh or Scottish games. They could well have reached a deal to show all 7 games every weekend, or just 1 game - wait for the details

Precisely - you already have to pay for both, what has actually changed here? You're paying Premier Sports rather than lining Murdoch / Fox / Comcast / Disney's pockets depending on who you believe will own Sky next year

BamBam

Posts : 13226
Join date : 2011-03-17
Age : 28

Back to top Go down

Re: BBC Wales out of running to show Pro 14 next season

Post by LordDowlais on Tue 06 Mar 2018, 5:09 pm

I will still pay for the other channels because I like all sport, and I will watch almost anything sport related, the ideal scenario for me would be for one of the UK based sports channels to get the Pro14.

But to watch all my teams now, I have no choice but to either go to every game, or buy yet another channel. I am lucky, I can afford it, but a lot of people will not buy this channel out of choice or by the fact that they cannot afford it.

Lots of people will be cast adrift here in Wales, and the Pro14 will suffer for it. I would imagine a very similar scenario in Soctland as well.

LordDowlais

Posts : 12029
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: BBC Wales out of running to show Pro 14 next season

Post by marty2086 on Tue 06 Mar 2018, 5:11 pm

BamBam wrote:Google is your friend LD

http://www.premiersports.com/

Does it matter though? You're paying to watch Pro 14, anything else is a bonus

I think until they start showing games, and details of their deal is revealed, its silly to assume they won't be showing Welsh or Scottish games. They could well have reached a deal to show all 7 games every weekend, or just 1 game - wait for the details

Precisely - you already have to pay for both, what has actually changed here? You're paying Premier Sports rather than lining Murdoch / Fox / Comcast / Disney's pockets depending on who you believe will own Sky next year

That's exactly it, BT show what? 3/4 games a weekend? So fans of 4 to 6 teams don't get to see their team play live on tv every weekend

This could well be a push to get more fans into grounds

marty2086

Posts : 9387
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 32
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: BBC Wales out of running to show Pro 14 next season

Post by LordDowlais on Tue 06 Mar 2018, 5:19 pm

I cannot fathom though how anybody could think this is good for the Pro14. If it was flying like the French and English leagues then fine, but it isn't. It's struggling, big time.

This deal will alienate the vast majority of the UK supporter base. This you cannot argue with.

LordDowlais

Posts : 12029
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: BBC Wales out of running to show Pro 14 next season

Post by No 7&1/2 on Tue 06 Mar 2018, 5:22 pm

Rugby fan has stated how it will benefit the league. More tv money.

No 7&1/2

Posts : 15498
Join date : 2012-10-20

Back to top Go down

Re: BBC Wales out of running to show Pro 14 next season

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum