The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roger Federer

+4
Calder106
CaledonianCraig
lags72
SportFan
8 posters

Go down

Roger Federer Empty Roger Federer

Post by SportFan Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:24 am

Roger Federer keeps winning tournaments, despite being in his 40s.

Do you consider Roger Federer to be the Ronnie O'Sullivan of tennis?

SportFan

Back to top Go down

Roger Federer Empty Re: Roger Federer

Post by lags72 Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:56 pm

To the best of my knowledge Roger Federer is 36 years of age. His ‘40’s’ are some way off.

I don’t follow Ronnie O’Sullivan’s career (although I tend to hear good things about him) and your suggested analogy therefore means nothing to me personally. I would say, however, that the two sports make rather different demands on the body, not to mention the respective standards of physical fitness required to compete at the highest level in each.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:08 pm

Another difference being Roger Federer stands above all else on slam wins in men's tennis - the holy grail. In snooker the holy grail and biggest title is the World Champioship and Ronnie O'Sullivan stands some way behind the top dog - Stephen Hendry.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:11 pm

Both are unique natural talents in their sports. Biggest difference for me is that Federer loves his tennis and is happy to be on the circuit as long as possible whereas O'Sullivan seems to see snooker and being on the circuit as a bit of chore. I'm sure he could have been a lot more dominant in snooker had he the same outlook as Federer.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:54 am

No. The two "sports" cannot be compared. Tennis very much depends on physical strength and endurance as well as skill. The longevity in tennis is limited by the declining ability to maintain physical strength and endurance as the body ages. Snooker is more about skill and physical endurance (not physical strength). The main thing limiting longevity in snooker is maintaining the skill level. To maintain the skill level you have to practice more or less every day for long periods. It is the long hours of practice that players in general lose motivation for when they get older and begin to have other things in their lives.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by badtennisplayer Wed May 23, 2018 9:47 pm

When I watch tennis matches, I often ponder on the similarities between Federer/Nadal and O'Sullivan/Selby

badtennisplayer

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Thu May 24, 2018 3:51 pm

Federer's record is padded up imagine the amount of majors Nadal and Djokovic would had if they've been fortunate to dip their bread against Roddick

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu May 24, 2018 5:13 pm

Nathaniel Jacobs wrote:Federer's record is padded up imagine the amount of majors Nadal and Djokovic would had if they've been fortunate to dip their bread against Roddick

As opposed to all the clay court greats that Nadal has faced.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Thu May 24, 2018 5:45 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
Nathaniel Jacobs wrote:Federer's record is padded up imagine the amount of majors Nadal and Djokovic would had if they've been fortunate to dip their bread against Roddick

As opposed to all the clay court greats that Nadal has faced.
Nadal in any era would've been the greatest on clay, 92% win rate with over 400 wins - ridiculous domination.

Federer has losing records to Nadal and Djokovic in major finals, he merely cleaned up against the no hopers.

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu May 24, 2018 5:49 pm

Yes but Nadal has domination over equally ridiculous no hopers. Federer, Nadal, Djokovic - they're all hopelessly over-rated, having never played anyone any good.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu May 24, 2018 5:59 pm

Take Rafa's 2008 Wimby for example. He only had to beat Roger Federer. Now we all know that Federer's not a grass court great - he only had to beat a bunch of no hopers to win his 8 Wimbledons - hardly qualifies him as a grass court great. Thus Rafa in turn only had to beat an average Joe who isn't that great - hence Rafa's Wimby 2008 isn't much of an achievement.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Mon May 28, 2018 12:20 am

So funny.

I thought for one moment that Simple Analyst (or one of his countless aliases ) had made a surprise re-appearance. Or even the much-missed socal !!

Have often wondered whether that third-form schoolyard banter would ever be seen on 606 again Wink

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down