Golf in Dorset

Go down

Golf in Dorset

Post by Plunky on Sat 31 Mar 2018, 3:39 pm

Hello everyone !

We are heading over to Dorset next week and taking our clubs with us.  We've checked out local courses and it seems Lyme Regis will be our closest -- clifftop with coastal views, sounds great.   Anybody know of "hidden gems" we should visit while we're there ?  Thanks.

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Re: Golf in Dorset

Post by super_realist on Sat 31 Mar 2018, 4:14 pm

Dawlish! Get a lesson from Crossfield.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer on Sat 31 Mar 2018, 5:35 pm

Plunky,
How about a personal message to puligny? He's very close, if not actually in Dorset. Have a great trip.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest on Sat 31 Mar 2018, 9:05 pm

Don’t know if you’ll be in the Bournemouth area, but Queens Park, Meyrick Park an Iford are decent courses.

About an hours drive from Lyme Regis.

Broadstone and Dudsbury are highly rated.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt on Sat 31 Mar 2018, 10:04 pm

Haven’t played in Dorset for some years (I was born and brought up in Bournemouth where I learnt my golf) but if you are staying in Lyme Regis, it would be worth trying Bridport, Yeovil, Isle of Purbeck and maybe Wareham. Closer to Bournemouth, it’s worth looking at Parkstone, Ferndown, Broadstone and the relatively new Remedy Oak. Meyrick and Queens Park are OK but are municipal courses, somewhat overplayed and often very busy. I’d steer clear of Iford!
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny on Sun 01 Apr 2018, 12:05 am

There are 4 great courses in Dorset, and lots of other fun places to play.
One caution - it has been exceptionally wet, with heavy rain followed by two dumps of late snow, followed by more rain, and that will still be affecting most if not all!
Top 4 are Parkstone, Ferndown, Broadstone and Remedy Oak. If you want to play Remedy,,I am a member and depending when you are in the area can get you a good deal. They are all within 1/2 hour of Bournemouth centre.
Beyond those I would have a look at Came Down (Dorchester) - is the course where the Ryder Cup was first conceived, Samuel Ryder being a country member and getting the idea from the then club pro. Lyme Regis is lovely, and you can walk the Cob as Meryl Streep did in The French Lieutenants Woman. Bridport nice, but exposed to the wind this time of year being cliff top.
Lots more depending how long you have. Enjoy.

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny on Sun 01 Apr 2018, 12:30 am

Oh and if you get the chance Isle of Purbeck, between Corfe Castle and the chain ferry to Poole is worth it if only for the views. National Trust land so not golf manicured, but beautiful. Views of Poole Harbour (apparently one of the largest natural harbours in the world!!!!!) are breathtaking.

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman on Sun 01 Apr 2018, 3:57 pm

Used to play at Meyrick Park with my son when he was studying at Bournemouth Uni. Very short at 5802 yards off the whites, 5540 off the yellows. Fortunately he spent more time at the Uni than on the golf course and came away with a first in Economics!

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt on Sun 01 Apr 2018, 6:03 pm

I learned my golf at Meyrick and was Ladies Secretary there for five years until I left Bournemouth in 1998 to live in London with LordPutt. I have many happy memories of the old club and its quirky clubhouse which was demolished in about 1996 when the new clubhouse was erected after the council passed the management of the course to private enterprise. It was never the same after that
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Plunky on Sun 01 Apr 2018, 11:49 pm

Thanks everyone !  That's given us plenty to google and think about.  We've played precious little golf here recently because of the storms and snow (and we're supposed to get another inch or so tomorrow ! ) so we're looking forward to getting out and playing again.  

Puligny, Remedy looks like a great course !  It's hard to plan golf right now as we have some family obligations to schedule in Plymouth first,  but we'll send you a PM once  we get sorted.   Thanks  !

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt on Mon 02 Apr 2018, 8:49 am

puligny wrote:Oh and if you get the chance Isle of Purbeck, between Corfe Castle and the chain ferry to Poole is worth it if only for the views. National Trust land so not golf manicured, but beautiful. Views of Poole Harbour (apparently one of the largest natural harbours in the world!!!!!) are breathtaking.
I once played in a match at Isle of Purbeck and got distracted at one point watching the SBS boys on exercise jumping from a helicopter into Poole Harbour in rather fetching wetsuits then having to swim to shore! Not sure if it’s still there but there was an SBS (Special Boat Service to the uninitiated - the navy equivalent of the SAS) base nearby at Hamworthy. I can’t remember who won the match but I still vividly remember that Smile
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Plunky on Mon 30 Apr 2018, 1:01 pm

Thanks again ! Just got back after a fun trip.  We ended up playing less golf than we had thought, mostly due to unexpected family stuff going on (with non golfing family members).  We did get to play our closest courses -- Lyme Regis twice and bridport once.    Both were in decent shape considering the recent weather and both have fabulous views of the Dorset coastline. When we first played Lyme Regis it was 16 holes with a number of temporary tees and temporary greens, but a week later we were able to play the full course.  I think bridport had just one temporary tee and its signature hole is spectacular -- wish Id played it better !

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS on Mon 30 Apr 2018, 1:23 pm

Och totally missed this thread, sorry Plunky, having said that I would have recommended exactly the same as Puligny (albeit without the benefit of Remedy membership). While you were over here I was over there, Hawaii to be precise and from what I've seen it looks like we just got off the island of Kauai on the eve of all hell breaking loose, I was disappointed that we had a fair bit of rain during our stay but in the 24 hours after we left they had over 24 inches of rain, an isolated rain gauge on one part of the North shore actually measured 49 inches over that weekend.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster on Mon 30 Apr 2018, 3:09 pm

JAS wrote:Och totally missed this thread, sorry Plunky, having said that I would have recommended exactly the same as Puligny (albeit without the benefit of Remedy membership). While you were over here I was over there, Hawaii to be precise and from what I've seen it looks like we just got off the island of Kauai on the eve of all hell breaking loose, I was disappointed that we had a fair bit of rain during our stay but in the 24 hours after we left they had over 24 inches of rain, an isolated rain gauge on one part of the North shore actually measured 49 inches over that weekend.

Bloody hell.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Plunky on Tue 01 May 2018, 11:48 am

JAS wrote:Och totally missed this thread, sorry Plunky, having said that I would have recommended exactly the same as Puligny (albeit without the benefit of Remedy membership). While you were over here I was over there, Hawaii to be precise and from what I've seen it looks like we just got off the island of Kauai on the eve of all hell breaking loose, I was disappointed that we had a fair bit of rain during our stay but in the 24 hours after we left they had over 24 inches of rain, an isolated rain gauge on one part of the North shore actually measured 49 inches over that weekend.

Cheers JAS !  We were disappointed not to get to try some of those recommendations, but it proved tough to balance golf with family commitments.  Dorset had several consecutive days of warm sunshine while we we there, but my mum was staying with us then and it seemed a little harsh to ask her to fix dinner while we went golfing.  We did consider it though.    Next year we have a wedding anniversary ending in a zero so we may use that as an excuse to have a completely selfish holiday and play all all the golf we want.  

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark on Fri 04 May 2018, 3:18 pm

Plunky we dont fix dinner over here we cook(or order a takeout)
Glad you enjoyed the trip Is the bridport hole the downhill all the way hole

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by Plunky on Fri 04 May 2018, 10:54 pm

I lived in England for 30 years and have been in the USA for 29, so my language/accent at this point is some kind of hybrid !  Yes, the bridport signature hole is par 3, downhill all the way with a stiff ocean breeze coming from your left.  Stunning golf course on a clear day !

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum