The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golfing Heroes and Villians

+14
super_realist
Roller_Coaster
McLaren
George1507
dynamark
Diggers
raycastleunited
sirbenson
LadyPutt
4putt
beninho
wiretapper
Davie
Snap Hook
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Golfing Heroes and Villians - Page 2 Empty Golfing Heroes and Villians

Post by Snap Hook Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:01 am

First topic message reminder :

As per point number 10 of Houston Ballwasher notes , below are my current* golfing Heroes and Villains.

* These change all the time, well the villains anyway, and no doubt by Sunday, something or someone will be making my top 5.

All the talk about Poulter and Kisner, got me thinking about my current top 5 golfing heroes and villains in true panto sense.

Heroes

Tiger Woods - without doubt played the most amazing golf witnessed to date.
John Daly - love a rebel, so much talent.
Justin Rose - everything I see on course and twitter, operates as a gentleman.
Matt Kuchar - just seems to enjoy golf for what it is.
Seve - watched him at St Mellion in 1995, all over the shop on front 9, shoots 40, back 9, shoots 30. Typical Seve.

Villains

Ian Poulter - will do well to remember all the people you pass on the way to the 'top', you pass again on the way down. Absolutely no class whatsoever.
Johnny Miller - perhaps once in while recognise that golf is a global game, and the odd 'international' is quite good too.
Kevin Kisner - Chewing tobacco and spitting, enough said.
Masters Committee - Just allow full live TV coverage on all 4 days and grown the game. Pathetic.
Patrick Read - Panto villain in every sense.

Honorable mentions to Jason Day, JB Holmes and Webb Simpson for being so slow.

As you can imagine watching Poulter and listening to Miller last night was pretty painful! However fair play to Poulter he got the job done and the upside he wont be doing comms for Sky - well not for rounds 1 and 2.

Snap Hook

Back to top Go down

Golfing Heroes and Villians - Page 2 Empty Re: Golfing Heroes and Villians

Post by Diggers Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:22 am

raycastleunited wrote:
sirbenson wrote:
We also have people like Sonia O'Sullivan, Katie Taylor.

Being a Harrington fan though he'd be my choice but then again, I'm slightly biased.

I don't think you're being biased. Objectively, he beat the world's best in the most prestigious events in the sport 3 times. Did Sonia O'Sullivan win 3 Olympic or World Championship gold medals? No.

She has one track gold and should certainly by any rational thinking have another 2. Only the brief emergence of the Chinese athletes in the early 90's stopped her adding 2 more. I don't think I've ever seen more obvious doping but they got away with it. Sonia also won 2 world x countries, very rare for a European to do that. So she has been a world champ 3 times.
Not saying it makes her more worthy than Paddy, but she was a class act.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:26 am

Isn't Brian O' Driscoll usually considered the tatty munchers greatest?

Not sure how anyone can mention Katie Taylor with a straight face, a sport where she has virtually no competition.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:47 pm

Heroes - Arnie and Jack, Tom Watson. They played like you are supposed to play. I think some of the players from years ago like James Braid and Harry Vardon and Bobby Jones were brilliant guys too.

Villains - Branden Grace, David Frost and most of the other South Africans who've always taken advantage of the rules. Seve because he was a whining moaner and as soon as he was called out by someone tough he crumbled. Paul Azinger and Colin Montgomerie hold a place in my heart for this.

All the rest - I couldn't care less.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:39 pm

Blimey George, what have the Saffers done to get your goat to such an extent? Golfing "rules" or something more cultural??

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:43 pm

I will never forgive Stewart Cink for winning Tom Watson's Open Championship in 09, brings a tear to my eye now just thinking about it Sad

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:50 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Blimey George, what have the Saffers done to get your goat to such an extent? Golfing "rules" or something more cultural??
I recall an episode last year (Wentworth) where Grace took relief from a plugged lie in the bunker edge because his foot (after much effort) touched the rubber on the base of the bunker. Worthy of the villain label.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:25 am

David Frost was trying to claim a free drop at the Open a few years ago by claiming his foot would be on a concrete step (if he was pointing 90 degrees away from the green it was)

Grace because he dug his feet so far into that bunker at Wentworth I thought he was drilling for oil.

And others - they have the mentality of trying to get out of where they hit it by claiming a free drop.

Yes, it's rules related, not cultural.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:47 am

!!
Interesting, never occurred to me that trying to gain every possible advantage on the course was a SAF thing, the pros pretty much all do it in my experience, but by and large with the nod and a wink to the blind horse that is Tour officialdom (and I don't mean just the on-course guys).
Would also say that from the views I've had from the "gallery", the pros are very accepting of the officials' application of the rules when they're spelt out.
Dunno about the SAF contingent though . . . . . . . !

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:51 am

The Saffers grew up with preferential treatment...

But I never experienced Els, Goosen, Oosty, Charl etc. bending the rules though.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:05 am

Monty, Tiger, VJ, Seve, Faldo...they all new/know how to stretch the rules when necessary.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:23 pm

Not a South African, but did anyone see Mark Leishmann on Saturday at the Masters?

Snap hooked his drive on the 18th, and the ball ended up a foot away from a green wooden fence. The rules guy gave him a two club length drop away from the fence (which looked for all the world like it was closer to the hole), Leishmann then belts it out through a tree, just short of the green, chipped it on and holed for a five. No, he holed for a FOUR.

I absolutely despair about these decisions. That fence is always there apparently, not part of the broadcasting paraphernalia.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:42 am

Saw a drop yesterday think it was Reed out of a fairway drain or sprinkler and I swear it was closer to the hole.
Why is he specifically not well liked.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:48 am

dynamark wrote:Saw a drop yesterday think it was Reed out of a fairway drain or sprinkler and I swear it was closer to the hole.

Because he's a big headed braggard.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:12 am

super_realist wrote:
dynamark wrote:Saw a drop yesterday think it was Reed out of a fairway drain or sprinkler and I swear it was closer to the hole.

Because he's a big headed braggard.
Hardly an un-American trait?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:15 pm

Because he's not Rory, Rickeeee, Jordan, Tiger, Phil etc.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:43 am

Patrick Reed seems ok to me. I probably wouldn't want to spend an evening in the pub with him but he's better than a lot of them.

I have a strange feeling he'll be the next Grand Slam golfer - while Rory and Phil wrestle with their Masters and US Open demons, I think he'll sneak in. Justin, Dustin and Jordan might prove me wrong.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:42 am

The thing with Reed is that a lot seems to be made of him not fitting into a couple of college golf teams. It wouldn't be hard to imagine that a fair few people on a college golf team have had quite a spoiled existence and not fitting in with them might be a positive?

Even if he has had some issues in history isn't it a bit rich for journalists to question his history while failing to ever mention the horror show of ANGC's history and its members position on civil rights?

Or what about the times Els, Rory and Tiger played with Trump?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:26 am

McLaren wrote:The thing with Reed is that a lot seems to be made of him not fitting into a couple of college golf teams.  It wouldn't be hard to imagine that a fair few people on a college golf team have had quite a spoiled existence and not fitting in with them might be a positive?

Even if he has had some issues in history isn't it a bit rich for journalists to question his history while failing to ever mention the horror show of ANGC's history and its members position on civil rights
Or what about the times Els, Rory and Tiger played with Trump?

Mac, I know you're the worlds biggest ingénue, but how can you criticise anyone for playing golf with Trump? Have you played every single round of golf with people who you A) Like and B) Agree with on every point. It's certain you haven't.

Sometimes it is good to mix with people you wouldn't normally want to play with. You can't just stick your fingers in your ears everytime someone says something you don't like or blanket block them because you differ on some points of view. You're supposed to be a bit open minded are you not?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:29 am

Super

Did they just happen to get drawn together in the monthly medal?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:12 am

Mac,

The main reason Reed didn't "fit in" is probably something to do with the times he has been accused of cheating at golf and pilfering money etc from team-mates.
Otherwise I don't hear anything bad said about him. Unless you ask his parents.

Could all be no smoke and no fire, but strange that no-one ever comes out of the woodwork to say it's all a load of cobbler's.

Personally, I'll judge him on his golf and appreciate the hard yakka he fought thru to reach the PGA Tour.

And it'll be interesting to see where he goes from here - can't see a Grand Slam in his future, sorry George!, but didn't see a Masters either.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:32 am

Kwini

True it wasn't just a clash of personalities but I am just wondering if Reed's prior indiscretions have been highlighted a little more than most players.

Kwini/George

Don't you think Spieth is the most likely player to nab the grand slam? "All" he has to do is win the PGA. Evan Rory only the one, however unlikely it seems at the moment that he could grab it.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:38 am

No they didn't Mac, but it's unlikely they knew him, so what's to stop them playing with him for a laugh.

Are you so PC you'd turn down a game with Sergio because of ONE comment he made? Are you so immature you would turn down a game with him because you don't share 100% of Sergio's views?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:41 am

If Trumps misdemeanors only amounted to those of Sergio I might just about be persuaded to play with him.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:48 am

Yet, you've stated before you'd play his course if I was paying. What a hypocrite.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:55 am

Anything to get a round with you.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:55 am

McLaren wrote:Kwini

True it wasn't just a clash of personalities but I am just wondering if Reed's prior indiscretions have been highlighted a little more than most players.

Kwini/George

Don't you think Spieth is the most likely player to nab the grand slam? "All" he has to do is win the PGA.  Evan Rory only the one, however unlikely it seems at the moment that he could grab it.

Phil's up first, at Shinnecock where he runnered up to Goosen. And he's got Pebble Beach next year where he's won four times and been close in an "Open". Otherwise, certainly agree it's when, not if, for Spieth - just as it was for Tom Watson . . . . . oops.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:32 am

super_realist wrote:No they didn't Mac, but it's unlikely they knew him, so what's to stop them playing with him for a laugh.

Are you so PC you'd turn down a game with Sergio because of ONE comment he made? Are you so immature you would turn down a game with him because you don't share 100% of Sergio's views?

No-one with an IQ >20 plays with Trump 'for a laugh'. The man's a pr1ck.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:53 pm

Who cares if he's a pr1ck. It would be fun to play him, not least because I'd annihilate him.

Tiger Moobs is a pr1ck too, but I'd more than likely still play.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:16 pm

I think I'd probably play a round with just about anyone. It's the second lap that might get refused!

Trump would, at least, possibly be an interesting person to speak to for a lap, even though I don't agree with very much of what he comes out with.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:18 am

super_realist wrote:Who cares if he's a pr1ck. It would be fun to play him, not least because I'd annihilate him.

Tiger Moobs is a pr1ck too, but I'd more than likely still play.
You clearly don't, which IMO is absurd. You'd actively play golf with people you think are a pr!ck? Yeah, right.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:24 am

I don't know either of them, nor do you, they might be completely different from their public persona.

You might for example say you wouldn't mind a round with Gary Lineker, but I've heard he's a pr1ck in person too. It works both ways.

You can always walk off. I've done that before.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:04 am

Fair point. Woods maybe. Trump was, is and always will be, a bona fide pr!ck. I wouldn't want to spend a single second in his company.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:06 am

Would you not play with him so you could walk off after the first hole because he was a bell end?
Surely it's worth a hole to be able to do that?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:32 am

navyblueshorts wrote:Fair point. Woods maybe. Trump was, is and always will be, a bona fide pr!ck. I wouldn't want to spend a single second in his company.

What if the course was Auguata National?

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:47 am

Be_the_ball wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:Fair point. Woods maybe. Trump was, is and always will be, a bona fide pr!ck. I wouldn't want to spend a single second in his company.

I seriously doubt they'd let him on. And certainly not Drumpf!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:57 am

kwinigolfer wrote:
Be_the_ball wrote:

Laugh Laugh Laugh

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:04 am

I think Trump would fit the Hootie bill perfectly though..

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:01 pm

super_realist wrote:Would you not play with him so you could walk off after the first hole because he was a bell end?
Surely it's worth a hole to be able to do that?
Not for me.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:02 pm

Be_the_ball wrote:

Nope. Actually, ANGC isn't that tempting for me as a course, association with the Masters aside. Cypress Point would be tougher to resist!
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:03 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:
Be_the_ball wrote:

Laugh OK
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2