PGA Tour: The Masters, Past (it), Present and Wannabe: Notes from the Ballwasher

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: The Masters, Past (it), Present and Wannabe: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer on Wed 04 Apr 2018, 4:31 am

1).But first: Ian James Poulter, you beauty.
Can't believe I wrote that, but one helluva story, like him or loathe him, what a ten days for IJP. Sure he does some stupid things, sure he behaves like an ass sometimes, but what a moment in the spotlight for him last Sunday, a spotlight that he'd pretty much turned on himself. Very happy to know there'll be at least one Ferrari on Magnolia Drive.

2).Right, where was I? That's right, bottle of plonk, a list of runners and off we go. Only 87 will come under starter's orders on Thursday, about a dozen fewer than usual, so approximately 60% will make the cut. And, of those, you can take about 20 and know only a handful have an earthly of playing the weekend.
So let's eliminate these Past Champions from the list of possible winners - Picture of some of them here:
https://www.masters.com/en_US/index.html

Nah, some of them might win, but these won't:
Cabrera, Couples, Immelman, Zach, Langer, Lyle, Mize, O'Meara, Olazabal, Schwartzel, Scott, Singh, Weir, Willett, Woods, Woosie. Apart from the ceremonial attendees, none of Zach, Charl, Adam, Willett or Woods are playing well enough to win - got to get rid of them some time. (16)

3).Amateurs: Outahere!
Harry Ellis, Ghim, Lin, Niemann, Parzialle, Redman. No amateur has reached the top ten since the 1960's - that won't change. (6)

4).Rookies haven't won since Fuzzy Zoeller last ate collard greens. This lot won't either:
Cook, Bryan, Sharma, Miyazato, Kizzire, Frittelli, Kodaira, Li, Finau, Schauffele. Schauffele probably the wild card among them. (10)

5).Outside the owgr Top Fifty:
Walker, Kaymer, Horschel, Potter, Ryan Moore, DeChambeau, Wiesberger, Ikeda, Vegas, Henley, SiWoo Kim. Though Ryan Moore punches above his (growing) weight at Augusta and Henley is a putting genius. (11)

6).Some players are inside the owgr Top 50, but are not playing as well as they were last year - when they didn't win, so why should they this year?
Dufner, Pieters, Chappell, Fitzpatrick, Berger, Fisher, Grace, Oosthuizen, Hoffman, Molinari, Rafa C-B, Perez. These are ranked between 21st & 50th - Hate to lose Chappell on that list, and King Louis could win anywhere, anytime. And no-one would be surprised to see Hoffman play well. (12)

7).Only 32 left, and time to say farewell to Asia, South America, Australia, golfers born in England. Cheerio chaps:
Cam Smith, Aphibarnrat, Poults, Hatton, Leishman, Fleetwood, Casey, Day, Matsuyama. Could make a case, each way at least, for most of them - be really interested how Fleetwood goes; playing with Tiger will inspire or intimidate. (9)

8).Right-handers who haven't won a Major:
Reavie, Stanley, Hadwin, Steele, Cantlay, Woodland, Kisner, Reed, Kuchar, Noren, Stenson, Fowler, Rahm. I like Hadwin as much as any of them, and Kuchar has a great record at Augusta with four Top 8's in the last six years and is the leading career money-winner on Tour without a Major among the under 50's. Either he's due or he's overdue and his train has long gone. (13)

9).Ten lives left.
Webb Simpson has somehow survived so far but he's not going to win. And I can't believe that lightning will strike Bubba again. Dustin plays well here when he doesn't withdraw in mysterious circumstances but he's not last year's model - not yet anyway. Whilst Spieth is not putting like Spieth. And Sergio will have too many distractions, not to mention digesting his arroz caldoso de bogavante. (5)

10).And that leaves Brian Harman (my outsider du jour), a Georgia boy and a superb putter, Phil, Rory and the Justins, Rose and Thomas. I can't easily dismiss any of the five of them, but I'm still not convinced that Justin Thomas's game fits well here and something tells me Rory might want it all a bit too much (hope not though!).
Hopefully it'll be Justin Rose's time, he has a wonderful record of consistency in US Majors, finished 2nd, 10th, 2nd the last three years and seems to have been building towards a second Major. Perhaps from Phil, while I also/always like Louis Oosthuizen at Augusta.  

Can't remember a recent Masters when so many players seemed to have a realistic chance - hope the coverage will be as good as the golf promises to be.

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Wed 04 Apr 2018, 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Re: PGA Tour: The Masters, Past (it), Present and Wannabe: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by Roller_Coaster on Wed 04 Apr 2018, 8:56 am

Masters "notes". Now the season has started.

What about the Par 3 comp? Janet Jackson and Kim Jong Un alongside Tom Brady bagging for Player, Nicklaus and the ghost of Arnie.

A dinner menu with no choice. Crystal for an eagle. Ooh's as a thinned approach follows the contours of the green round and disappears for an albatross on 2 (sorry Louis, just kidding. Quite well hit all in all). Boiler suits.

Larry Mize embarrassing himself, sorry, really not embarrassing himself by making 3 of 4 cuts or whatever it was Wink

Phil & Woods all over the shop off camera, only to have the miracle escape aired time and time again while...

Westwood wins.

What a ridiculous major.

Yeeeeesssssssssssssssss!!!

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Re: PGA Tour: The Masters, Past (it), Present and Wannabe: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by wiretapper on Wed 04 Apr 2018, 9:14 am

Thank you Kwini, excellent as ever  clap

I still can't quite believe Kizzire is outside the top 50 with 2 victories this season, how far back did he come from?

Like many I think it will be Rose's year although that is probably more a curse than anything else.

wiretapper

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro on Wed 04 Apr 2018, 9:24 am

Harman is my outside bet as well. A leftie and in good form.

Otherwise I have no clue. All inside the top 20 (bar 1 or 2) could win this one.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro on Wed 04 Apr 2018, 9:33 am

We usually post this here.
I can’t recognise all, but it seems the guy front left won’t be there next year.
It also looks like Cabrera had a few more than just tres leches...
I’d also say that Weir has started to look a bit, well, weird.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman on Wed 04 Apr 2018, 9:48 am

Nice picture of the Champions Dinner...not sure all of the ties match the green jackets though! Laugh

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman on Wed 04 Apr 2018, 9:51 am

Today's competition wins a gold star and 20 extra fantasy points for the first one who can name them all and the years they won it then. Begin now...

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong on Wed 04 Apr 2018, 10:03 am

BlueCoverman wrote:Today's competition wins a gold star and 20 extra fantasy points for the first one who can name them all and the years they won it then. Begin now...
Don't know enough of them, but does anyone else think Bubba is giving a little wave?

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by wiretapper on Wed 04 Apr 2018, 10:15 am

I'm never wrong wrote:
BlueCoverman wrote:Today's competition wins a gold star and 20 extra fantasy points for the first one who can name them all and the years they won it then. Begin now...
Don't know enough of them, but does anyone else think Bubba is giving a little wave?

Backhandend, royal style

wiretapper

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson on Wed 04 Apr 2018, 12:04 pm

Great stuff as per usual Kwini!!!

Very excited for the first major of the year! One of the best sporting weeks of the year! Great drama!

Backed three people this year, Tiger 14/1, Noren 45/1, Dufner 200/1

Who have you all backed?

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong on Wed 04 Apr 2018, 12:33 pm

sirbenson wrote:Who have you all backed?
Bubba, Poults and DeChambeau

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer on Wed 04 Apr 2018, 12:47 pm

I'm taking Oosthuizen & Harman for my one and done. (Note: Local Rules apply, two picks per Major - plus I can't pick Rose and have already snagged Phil.)

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson on Wed 04 Apr 2018, 12:58 pm

There is a rumour going around they will lengthen the 13th hole, what do people make of this possibility?

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by wiretapper on Wed 04 Apr 2018, 1:04 pm

sirbenson wrote:There is a rumour going around they will lengthen the 13th hole, what do people make of this possibility?

I was watching some Masters films this week and I was thinking, it really is a par 4 isn't it?

But the risk / reward, the possibility of an eagle, the Sunday roars etc means it will always remain a 5. Does extending mean buying more land off the neighbours?

wiretapper

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer on Wed 04 Apr 2018, 1:23 pm

The forecast has improved significantly:
A forecast heavy rain today is not materialising - some showers perhaps but they've mostly passed through and shouldn't affect the conditions.
Cool tonight, and for early starters Thursday, then sunny and mild (high 60's).
Cool Thursday into Friday, but another nice day, warmer, could reach 80F.
Saturday: Windy & showery
Sunday: Cooler (mid-60's), sunny and dry.

You know this will change but hopefully not for the worse on Saturday which currently looks the only really dodgy day.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman on Wed 04 Apr 2018, 1:44 pm

sirbenson wrote:Who have you all backed?

McIlroy, Rose and Rahm.

And I had a cheeky £10 double on Bubba to win the WGC Matchplay and the Masters at 100/1

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Wed 04 Apr 2018, 2:04 pm

Nice elimination process and your logic seems pretty sound. You said a case could be made for Matsuyama and I am going to make it based on recent masters form.

Not sure if you saw the masters strokes gained table I posted on the other thread but Matsuyama was right up there.
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited on Wed 04 Apr 2018, 2:05 pm

pedro wrote:
We usually post this here.
I can’t recognise all, but it seems the guy front left won’t be there next year.
It also looks like Cabrera had a few more than just tres leches...
I’d also say that Weir has started to look a bit, well, weird.

Why is Bubba doing a little heil hitler salute behind Langer's back?

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong on Wed 04 Apr 2018, 2:26 pm

wiretapper wrote:Does extending mean buying more land off the neighbours?
Already bought some land from Augusta Country Club.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer on Wed 04 Apr 2018, 2:38 pm

McLaren wrote:Nice elimination process and your logic seems pretty sound. You said a case could be made for Matsuyama and I am going to make it based on recent masters form.

Not sure if you saw the masters strokes gained table I posted on the other thread but Matsuyama was right up there.

On the other hand, he's just returning from injury and hasn't played especially well since resuming his season: 49th at Bay Hill, 36th at the Match Play. But he DOES play well in Majors: Top 15 in each of his last five.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Snap Hook on Wed 04 Apr 2018, 3:11 pm

Thanks Kwini, very useful info when SkyBet are offering EW for finishing in the Top 10.

Re 13th, yes they already took some land previously to lengthen the hole. I like it as it is as a risk reward hole, but guess they want the 2nd shots to be a least a 4 iron for most players.

The 5th is another rumoured option for lengthening, that would be a very tough approach with an elephant already buried under that green.

Snap Hook

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H on Wed 04 Apr 2018, 3:16 pm

Knew as soon as “English-born” was mentioned that your thoughts for a winner were heading the same way as mine kwini. Probably the kiss of death as I haven’t come close to backing a winner anywhere since Brendan Steele won me a few quid last autumn.

Always like the Champions’ dinner photo. Bit of googling tells me that the oldest of the old men should be a couple of 95 year olds in Doug Ford and Jack Burke Jr, and 89 year old Bob Goalby. Not sure if they’ve all made the trip this year...?

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer on Wed 04 Apr 2018, 3:35 pm

I'm sure GPB will correct me, but think Goalby is the man bottom left - interesting article with him in Golf Digest, but he doesn't come across as a particularly likeable or sympathetic man.
Don't think Burke & Ford are present.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited on Wed 04 Apr 2018, 5:51 pm

Snap Hook wrote:
Re 13th, yes they already took some land previously to lengthen the hole.  I like it as it is as a risk reward hole, but guess they want the 2nd shots to be a least a 4 iron for most players.

They need to lengthen it because it is ceasing to be a risk / reward hole. Players are increasingly taking the ball over the dogleg and leaving a wedge into the green. It was a real wow moment when Bubba and Dustin first did it a few years ago... I expect a lot of the field to do it this week.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer on Wed 04 Apr 2018, 6:50 pm

Just last year, Sergio climbed Augusta's metaphoric mountain.
Fifty years after MLK's assassination, and 50 yrs plus one day after his "mountain top" speech, how ironic that the Masters Champion will ascend to his personal mountain top in Augusta, Georgia, at Augusta National.
And how the members must have choked on their pimento cheese sarnies when Lee Elder reached black golfers' mountain top by playing at Augusta in 1975 after they'd denied qualified, in every respect except colour, black golfers during the hate-ridden 60's.

Amazing to imagine it, but the USGA was decades ahead of Augusta with the trickle of black golfers they admitted to their Open. Starting at Shinnecock coincidentally.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Wed 04 Apr 2018, 7:22 pm

It is certainly quite sad that two people attending the past champions dinner have made the same racist "joke" about the games most prominent black person. Hell knows what some of the members have said in private.

McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H on Wed 04 Apr 2018, 7:31 pm

I would think drawing comparisons between current players and the ANCC of the 1950s and 1960s is a little belittling to the level of racism endured by black golfers back then Mac. Doubt you’d find anyone at the Champions dinner endorsing no black players and compuslory black caddies. Even the 80 and 90 year olds.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Wed 04 Apr 2018, 7:43 pm

Ned you could be right. I guess two white guys discussing this won't produce any meaningful ideas.
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Wed 04 Apr 2018, 8:02 pm

In further diversity news the Masters will hold a woman's amateur event from 2019. It will be a 54 hole event contested by 72 entrants. Although most won't get the chance to play ANGC as the first and second rounds will be played at another nearby club, with only the top 30 moving on to play the real thing.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/apr/04/augusta-national-stage-womens-amateur-tournament-2019
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Wed 04 Apr 2018, 8:13 pm

Surprised you haven't moved from the career you don't like into some sort of campaign that you seem so passionate about Mac.

What hole will Gary Player get down and so some press ups/situps?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Wed 04 Apr 2018, 8:33 pm

Have to say, that par 3 course looks sh1t.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie on Wed 04 Apr 2018, 8:47 pm

Sh!t in what way? It's a fun event and not to be taken seriously. So the holes are only about 120 yards and the pins are all at the bottom of craters in the greens so even the most wayward shot can feed down there. Does it really matter?

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Wed 04 Apr 2018, 8:53 pm

Just looks like a very poor pitch and putt course, surprising given how spectacular the main course is.
The staged camaraderie is pretty laughable too.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie on Wed 04 Apr 2018, 9:15 pm

Don't be such a miserable tw@t

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Wed 04 Apr 2018, 9:16 pm

It's just so schmaltzy and contrived. I had to turn it off.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie on Wed 04 Apr 2018, 9:17 pm

Good for you. Maybe you should turn other things off you don't like

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro on Wed 04 Apr 2018, 11:04 pm

Davie wrote:Good for you. Maybe you should turn other things off you don't like
He’d have no life then..

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB on Wed 04 Apr 2018, 11:17 pm

I believe the white glove behind Charls head is from the picture behind Bubba, and not Bubba's right hand. Think this was discussed last year.

Yes Bob Goalby is the old seated guy on the left. Doug Ford appears to be missing. I think he is the oldest living Major Champion.

I think the Judge Smails character in Caddyshack was inspired partly by Bob Goalby. I remember him as the one of the lead analysts for NBC-Golf. Before Miller, Before Trevino.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Thu 05 Apr 2018, 2:19 am

Did Tony Finau pop his ankle back into place after an over exuberant celebration?

McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers on Thu 05 Apr 2018, 9:23 am

McLaren wrote:Did Tony Finau pop his ankle back into place after an over exuberant celebration?

I saw that last night, looked like it to me, but if so it must pop a lot as he was very nonchalant about it. Poor guy, a moment of joy and fun and suddenly he's trending on You Tube for looking a bit of a plonker.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho on Thu 05 Apr 2018, 9:53 am

Does look like it popped out. Really is from one extreme to another!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by gw on Thu 05 Apr 2018, 10:45 am

What's up Kwini et al? Hope you're all doing good. Looking forward to The Masters, I fancy Paul Casey this year but a Poulter win just for Diggers would also be welcome! Still can't believe they have this ridiculous exemption for champions; Mize, Lyle, Woosnam, O'Meara, Couples and so on, come on guys, you've had your time, move aside and let someone who actually has a chance in!

Last edited by gw on Thu 05 Apr 2018, 1:22 pm; edited 3 times in total

gw

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro on Thu 05 Apr 2018, 10:53 am

GPB wrote:
Yes Bob Goalby is the old seated guy on the left.
He'd probably be the only one who could slow down the Stenson-Day pairing..

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by wiretapper on Thu 05 Apr 2018, 10:56 am

Is there a particular reason for the reduced field this year?

Has a qualification category been removed or is just more overlap?

wiretapper

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro on Thu 05 Apr 2018, 11:38 am

wiretapper wrote:Is there a particular reason for the reduced field this year?

I think it's the latter.
But I would assume there are some stats somewhere showing how many have qualified via the different categories over the last few years.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson on Thu 05 Apr 2018, 12:32 pm

https://twitter.com/brianwacker1/status/981856216040296448

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer on Thu 05 Apr 2018, 12:44 pm

pedro wrote:
wiretapper wrote:Is there a particular reason for the reduced field this year?

I think it's the latter.
But I would assume there are some stats somewhere showing how many have qualified via the different categories over the last few years.

I think it's just down to a number of multiple tournament winners (and them almost always from the owgr Top 50), not many random guys with 5-year Major exemptions, etc, and also the fact that there have been multiple Masters winners, so fewer ceremonial contestants, despite the numbers that we still complain about.
They should determine how many they want in the field and adjust qualifying accordingly. But they probably don't think they can do that.

Regardless, it'll be a five-sweater morning for Nicklaus, though reports are that Player will just be wearing black Speedos.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson on Thu 05 Apr 2018, 12:58 pm

If Tiger wins this week, do you think people would regard this as perhaps his greatest achievement considering what has gone on the last 10 years?

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited on Thu 05 Apr 2018, 1:27 pm

super_realist wrote:Just looks like a very poor pitch and putt course, surprising given how spectacular the main course is.

How can you call it a poor pitch and putt course? It looks like the most amazing P&P course I've ever seen. Beautifully manicured, tricky greens, changes in elevation, scenic carries over water.

Ok it is missing the standard features of a P&P course: missing flag sticks and rakes, chavs riding their bikes across the greens, dog poo, tatty old porn mag in a hedge.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Thu 05 Apr 2018, 1:30 pm

Super probably thinks a tatty porn mag is an Irish special interest category.
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum