The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: The Masters, Past (it), Present and Wannabe: Notes from the Ballwasher

+26
super_realist
pedro
navyblueshorts
raycastleunited
beninho
puligny
compelling and rich
Roller_Coaster
AlciG
Diggers
4putt
owen10ozzy
I'm never wrong
GPB
Nathaniel Jacobs
sirbenson
Be_the_ball
Born Slippy
1GrumpyGolfer
JAS
Good Golly I'm Olly
LadyPutt
Davie
gw
Snap Hook
BlueCoverman
30 posters

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: The Masters, Past (it), Present and Wannabe: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 4 Empty PGA Tour: The Masters, Past (it), Present and Wannabe: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 04 Apr 2018, 4:31 am

First topic message reminder :

1).But first: Ian James Poulter, you beauty.
Can't believe I wrote that, but one helluva story, like him or loathe him, what a ten days for IJP. Sure he does some stupid things, sure he behaves like an ass sometimes, but what a moment in the spotlight for him last Sunday, a spotlight that he'd pretty much turned on himself. Very happy to know there'll be at least one Ferrari on Magnolia Drive.

2).Right, where was I? That's right, bottle of plonk, a list of runners and off we go. Only 87 will come under starter's orders on Thursday, about a dozen fewer than usual, so approximately 60% will make the cut. And, of those, you can take about 20 and know only a handful have an earthly of playing the weekend.
So let's eliminate these Past Champions from the list of possible winners - Picture of some of them here:
https://www.masters.com/en_US/index.html

Nah, some of them might win, but these won't:
Cabrera, Couples, Immelman, Zach, Langer, Lyle, Mize, O'Meara, Olazabal, Schwartzel, Scott, Singh, Weir, Willett, Woods, Woosie. Apart from the ceremonial attendees, none of Zach, Charl, Adam, Willett or Woods are playing well enough to win - got to get rid of them some time. (16)

3).Amateurs: Outahere!
Harry Ellis, Ghim, Lin, Niemann, Parzialle, Redman. No amateur has reached the top ten since the 1960's - that won't change. (6)

4).Rookies haven't won since Fuzzy Zoeller last ate collard greens. This lot won't either:
Cook, Bryan, Sharma, Miyazato, Kizzire, Frittelli, Kodaira, Li, Finau, Schauffele. Schauffele probably the wild card among them. (10)

5).Outside the owgr Top Fifty:
Walker, Kaymer, Horschel, Potter, Ryan Moore, DeChambeau, Wiesberger, Ikeda, Vegas, Henley, SiWoo Kim. Though Ryan Moore punches above his (growing) weight at Augusta and Henley is a putting genius. (11)

6).Some players are inside the owgr Top 50, but are not playing as well as they were last year - when they didn't win, so why should they this year?
Dufner, Pieters, Chappell, Fitzpatrick, Berger, Fisher, Grace, Oosthuizen, Hoffman, Molinari, Rafa C-B, Perez. These are ranked between 21st & 50th - Hate to lose Chappell on that list, and King Louis could win anywhere, anytime. And no-one would be surprised to see Hoffman play well. (12)

7).Only 32 left, and time to say farewell to Asia, South America, Australia, golfers born in England. Cheerio chaps:
Cam Smith, Aphibarnrat, Poults, Hatton, Leishman, Fleetwood, Casey, Day, Matsuyama. Could make a case, each way at least, for most of them - be really interested how Fleetwood goes; playing with Tiger will inspire or intimidate. (9)

8).Right-handers who haven't won a Major:
Reavie, Stanley, Hadwin, Steele, Cantlay, Woodland, Kisner, Reed, Kuchar, Noren, Stenson, Fowler, Rahm. I like Hadwin as much as any of them, and Kuchar has a great record at Augusta with four Top 8's in the last six years and is the leading career money-winner on Tour without a Major among the under 50's. Either he's due or he's overdue and his train has long gone. (13)

9).Ten lives left.
Webb Simpson has somehow survived so far but he's not going to win. And I can't believe that lightning will strike Bubba again. Dustin plays well here when he doesn't withdraw in mysterious circumstances but he's not last year's model - not yet anyway. Whilst Spieth is not putting like Spieth. And Sergio will have too many distractions, not to mention digesting his arroz caldoso de bogavante. (5)

10).And that leaves Brian Harman (my outsider du jour), a Georgia boy and a superb putter, Phil, Rory and the Justins, Rose and Thomas. I can't easily dismiss any of the five of them, but I'm still not convinced that Justin Thomas's game fits well here and something tells me Rory might want it all a bit too much (hope not though!).
Hopefully it'll be Justin Rose's time, he has a wonderful record of consistency in US Majors, finished 2nd, 10th, 2nd the last three years and seems to have been building towards a second Major. Perhaps from Phil, while I also/always like Louis Oosthuizen at Augusta.  

Can't remember a recent Masters when so many players seemed to have a realistic chance - hope the coverage will be as good as the golf promises to be.

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Wed 04 Apr 2018, 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The Masters, Past (it), Present and Wannabe: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 4 Empty Re: PGA Tour: The Masters, Past (it), Present and Wannabe: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by sirbenson Fri 06 Apr 2018, 1:21 pm

I think Spieth will get it to -8

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The Masters, Past (it), Present and Wannabe: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 4 Empty Re: PGA Tour: The Masters, Past (it), Present and Wannabe: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by McLaren Fri 06 Apr 2018, 1:32 pm

There is no way Spieth would be a particularly interesting guy to share a few glasses of wine with but he is only 24 and has lived a very insular life.

But his golf game is far from boring. He holes thrilling putts, he shoots crazy low scores and that back nine at birkdale. I think people forget that before Tiger the really great players, seve aside, were pretty steady.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 06 Apr 2018, 2:13 pm

Did like the Tour Sauce on 16th. When he hit it, knew it was perfect and just walked to his bag before the camera had even panned to the ball in the air!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 06 Apr 2018, 3:48 pm

More than two hours of Round 2 played and only Webb Simpson (-2 after 3) under par. Billy Ho posting a shocker - I know he's got other things to be more concerned about but he's having a terrible run of form.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 06 Apr 2018, 4:11 pm

Spieth with a double on the first hole, maybe it wont be a procession.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 06 Apr 2018, 4:12 pm

beninho wrote:Spieth with a double on the first hole, maybe it wont be a procession.

Just saw that, know what happened?

Looks like he drove it into the woods, failed to get back to the fairway, came up short with his 3rd, poor chip, missed putt, SIX! Just like me.

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Fri 06 Apr 2018, 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 06 Apr 2018, 4:21 pm

The app says, hoiked right into trees off the tee, chip out 3 to get down from just off the green.

Hoiked his second tee shot into trees aswell it seems, 2nd shot just a 94yards back into play, 186 yards in with his 3rd, though is a par 5.

Rory holed a 30ft birdie on 2. Thats a rarity

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 06 Apr 2018, 4:24 pm

Snap ben.
Eagle for Rahm.
Scoreboard starting to light up!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 06 Apr 2018, 4:29 pm

Spieth now 52ft away after 3. Rory 4ft away for another birdie.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 06 Apr 2018, 4:34 pm

spieth bogey, Rory Birdie. Leads with Kuch

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 06 Apr 2018, 4:39 pm

If the cut was made now, only 12 golfers would miss out!

Come on RORS. Set 'em alight!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 06 Apr 2018, 4:46 pm

Poulter just chipped into the water on 11

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Fri 06 Apr 2018, 4:48 pm

Anyone else lost the Red button on Sky?

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 06 Apr 2018, 4:48 pm

The app has Spieth having a mare on 3! But holed from off the green for a par. 317 yards, 39 yards, 16 yards, 13 yards (holed)

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 06 Apr 2018, 4:52 pm

Bogey for Mcilroy on 4

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 06 Apr 2018, 4:53 pm

Kuchar drops a shot

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 06 Apr 2018, 4:55 pm

Now only nine not within 10 of the leader!

Eagle for DJ.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 06 Apr 2018, 5:06 pm

Incredible putt on 6 from Fowler for par!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Fri 06 Apr 2018, 6:01 pm

Anyone back Wiesberger to be two shots ahead of Spieth at any point today?

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri 06 Apr 2018, 6:02 pm

Princedrac projected Wiesberger as Masters winner already last week.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 06 Apr 2018, 6:21 pm

A mess from Phil on 9!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 06 Apr 2018, 6:26 pm

Good to see golf's Terry Griffiths drop back.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 06 Apr 2018, 7:10 pm

Almost certainly another missed cut for Ross Fisher, and no sign that his form will justify his decision to take up PGA Tour membership.
He's entered next week's action @ Hilton Head, but not many chances remain for him.

Phil going downhill almost as fast as the stock market.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Fri 06 Apr 2018, 7:17 pm

I'm never wrong wrote:Anyone else lost the Red button on Sky?
OK for me at the moment - 7.15pm
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 06 Apr 2018, 7:17 pm

Tiger has driven the ball well so far

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Fri 06 Apr 2018, 7:20 pm

Away from the golf, Augusta looks amazing this year. For some reason all the flowers seemed to be missing last year but Amen corner in particular looks amazing!
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Fri 06 Apr 2018, 7:21 pm

LadyPutt wrote:
Thanks
It went away for a bit. It's now come back.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 06 Apr 2018, 7:22 pm

Tiger has driven the ball well so far

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Fri 06 Apr 2018, 7:23 pm

I'm never wrong wrote:
LadyPutt wrote:
Thanks
It went away for a bit. It's now come back.
I went away for a bit, too. Dinner time
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 06 Apr 2018, 7:47 pm

Noren has had an horrendous back nine so far

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 06 Apr 2018, 8:01 pm

TPFKANC struggling beautifully.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 06 Apr 2018, 8:35 pm

Lickspittle TV continue to ignore Tommy Fleetwood, no shots of him yet; wonder if they'd show him if he took the lead?

Having said which, they're showing plenty of Leishman, love the way he swings at the ball - a little reminiscent of Lowry, if you'll excuse the expression.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 06 Apr 2018, 8:42 pm

Just noticed that ArchDeacon Blubba is not using those terrible pink balls. Did he rip up the contract?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 06 Apr 2018, 8:50 pm

super_realist wrote:Just noticed that ArchDeacon Blubba is not using those terrible pink balls. Did he rip up the contract?

Yup.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 06 Apr 2018, 9:11 pm

Seeing nothing of Stenson who is just off the lead and everything of a bald, man boobed chopper hacking his way around the place.
F**k American coverage.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 06 Apr 2018, 9:27 pm

Decent fightback from Spieth!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Fri 06 Apr 2018, 9:30 pm

2 hours 48 for Tiger and friends to reach the tenth tee...

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 06 Apr 2018, 9:50 pm

Incredible front nine from Reed

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 06 Apr 2018, 9:55 pm

Why are they not showing the 12th?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 06 Apr 2018, 10:00 pm

They will now!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 06 Apr 2018, 10:02 pm

Just in time to see MOOBS hit it in the water.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 06 Apr 2018, 10:28 pm

Surprised to see Paul Casey struggle - good chance he's outahere unless he can find a stroke coming in.
The +6's need a miracle to survive.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 06 Apr 2018, 10:34 pm

Hopefully Fatprick falls back on the back 9.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 06 Apr 2018, 11:11 pm

Incredible shot from Leishman!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 06 Apr 2018, 11:12 pm

Kwini, they said on Sky that Casey has a back injury

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 06 Apr 2018, 11:14 pm

Two chip-ins so far today for Justin Thomas.

He and Spieth chip in a lot, brilliant really. Nice differentiator to have.

sirb,
So two pars on #17 & #18 to have to suffer thru the weekend. Not what Bjorn wants to hear anyway.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Fri 06 Apr 2018, 11:31 pm

The commentators love to talk Leishman up as a “dark horse” whenever he’s on a leaderboard. Talking tonight about how he’s “got previous” at Augusta. Well yeah he had a run at it five years ago.... other than that he’s played four times with three missed cuts and a tie for 43rd. That’ll be why people weren’t talking about him that hard.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 06 Apr 2018, 11:52 pm

Leishman is a tough man to know when he'll get hot, when he'll go cold. Very difficult to time, ever the wildcard.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sat 07 Apr 2018, 12:04 am

Exactly five hours for the final group to be stood on the sixteenth tee. Not sure they’ve been particularly slow or just held up by a backlog, but the speed of play all day today has been disgraceful. Not heard so much of a whisper of anyone being put on the clock though, presumably because there’s no Chinese preteen amateur to scapegoat.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Sat 07 Apr 2018, 12:07 am

Leishman’s short game has been so good

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next