PGA Tour: The Masters, Past (it), Present and Wannabe: Notes from the Ballwasher

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: The Masters, Past (it), Present and Wannabe: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer on Wed 04 Apr 2018, 4:31 am

First topic message reminder :

1).But first: Ian James Poulter, you beauty.
Can't believe I wrote that, but one helluva story, like him or loathe him, what a ten days for IJP. Sure he does some stupid things, sure he behaves like an ass sometimes, but what a moment in the spotlight for him last Sunday, a spotlight that he'd pretty much turned on himself. Very happy to know there'll be at least one Ferrari on Magnolia Drive.

2).Right, where was I? That's right, bottle of plonk, a list of runners and off we go. Only 87 will come under starter's orders on Thursday, about a dozen fewer than usual, so approximately 60% will make the cut. And, of those, you can take about 20 and know only a handful have an earthly of playing the weekend.
So let's eliminate these Past Champions from the list of possible winners - Picture of some of them here:
https://www.masters.com/en_US/index.html

Nah, some of them might win, but these won't:
Cabrera, Couples, Immelman, Zach, Langer, Lyle, Mize, O'Meara, Olazabal, Schwartzel, Scott, Singh, Weir, Willett, Woods, Woosie. Apart from the ceremonial attendees, none of Zach, Charl, Adam, Willett or Woods are playing well enough to win - got to get rid of them some time. (16)

3).Amateurs: Outahere!
Harry Ellis, Ghim, Lin, Niemann, Parzialle, Redman. No amateur has reached the top ten since the 1960's - that won't change. (6)

4).Rookies haven't won since Fuzzy Zoeller last ate collard greens. This lot won't either:
Cook, Bryan, Sharma, Miyazato, Kizzire, Frittelli, Kodaira, Li, Finau, Schauffele. Schauffele probably the wild card among them. (10)

5).Outside the owgr Top Fifty:
Walker, Kaymer, Horschel, Potter, Ryan Moore, DeChambeau, Wiesberger, Ikeda, Vegas, Henley, SiWoo Kim. Though Ryan Moore punches above his (growing) weight at Augusta and Henley is a putting genius. (11)

6).Some players are inside the owgr Top 50, but are not playing as well as they were last year - when they didn't win, so why should they this year?
Dufner, Pieters, Chappell, Fitzpatrick, Berger, Fisher, Grace, Oosthuizen, Hoffman, Molinari, Rafa C-B, Perez. These are ranked between 21st & 50th - Hate to lose Chappell on that list, and King Louis could win anywhere, anytime. And no-one would be surprised to see Hoffman play well. (12)

7).Only 32 left, and time to say farewell to Asia, South America, Australia, golfers born in England. Cheerio chaps:
Cam Smith, Aphibarnrat, Poults, Hatton, Leishman, Fleetwood, Casey, Day, Matsuyama. Could make a case, each way at least, for most of them - be really interested how Fleetwood goes; playing with Tiger will inspire or intimidate. (9)

8).Right-handers who haven't won a Major:
Reavie, Stanley, Hadwin, Steele, Cantlay, Woodland, Kisner, Reed, Kuchar, Noren, Stenson, Fowler, Rahm. I like Hadwin as much as any of them, and Kuchar has a great record at Augusta with four Top 8's in the last six years and is the leading career money-winner on Tour without a Major among the under 50's. Either he's due or he's overdue and his train has long gone. (13)

9).Ten lives left.
Webb Simpson has somehow survived so far but he's not going to win. And I can't believe that lightning will strike Bubba again. Dustin plays well here when he doesn't withdraw in mysterious circumstances but he's not last year's model - not yet anyway. Whilst Spieth is not putting like Spieth. And Sergio will have too many distractions, not to mention digesting his arroz caldoso de bogavante. (5)

10).And that leaves Brian Harman (my outsider du jour), a Georgia boy and a superb putter, Phil, Rory and the Justins, Rose and Thomas. I can't easily dismiss any of the five of them, but I'm still not convinced that Justin Thomas's game fits well here and something tells me Rory might want it all a bit too much (hope not though!).
Hopefully it'll be Justin Rose's time, he has a wonderful record of consistency in US Majors, finished 2nd, 10th, 2nd the last three years and seems to have been building towards a second Major. Perhaps from Phil, while I also/always like Louis Oosthuizen at Augusta.  

Can't remember a recent Masters when so many players seemed to have a realistic chance - hope the coverage will be as good as the golf promises to be.

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Wed 04 Apr 2018, 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Re: PGA Tour: The Masters, Past (it), Present and Wannabe: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by GPB on Sat 07 Apr 2018, 9:00 pm

1986 Masters had pretty good leader-board.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Re: PGA Tour: The Masters, Past (it), Present and Wannabe: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by sirbenson on Sat 07 Apr 2018, 9:03 pm

Good stuff from Tommy Fleetwood

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Sat 07 Apr 2018, 9:03 pm

The 2000 US open had a pretty good final top 10, but maybe not the best example.
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Sat 07 Apr 2018, 9:05 pm

McIlroy Shocked
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Sat 07 Apr 2018, 9:06 pm

Mcilroy on the charge!
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson on Sat 07 Apr 2018, 9:08 pm

Mcilroy getting plenty of luck today *sigh

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers on Sat 07 Apr 2018, 9:11 pm

Come on Tommy!! Rory gets another nice break.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson on Sat 07 Apr 2018, 9:43 pm

Reed is suddenly starting to create a gap here

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H on Sat 07 Apr 2018, 10:11 pm

I remember the 2010 US Open as being fairly stacked, Phil, Ernie, Tiger, early era Dustin and a few other big names. And then it went on to finish as a McDowell-Havret 1-2.

Reed vs McIlroy in the last pair Sunday anyone?

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Sat 07 Apr 2018, 10:22 pm

Spieth vs Reed would also be good.
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho on Sat 07 Apr 2018, 10:27 pm

Reed really has been impressive, and he isn't actually fat.

Read people saying rory getting luck, I've not noticed any of that!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Sat 07 Apr 2018, 10:31 pm

Reed using the Hazeltine 2016 umbrella.
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson on Sat 07 Apr 2018, 10:38 pm

Good to see Fowler playing well at the weekend of a tournament!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson on Sat 07 Apr 2018, 10:44 pm

Great two putt front Reed

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Sat 07 Apr 2018, 11:00 pm

Doh
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson on Sat 07 Apr 2018, 11:00 pm

Reed destroying the par 5s

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho on Sat 07 Apr 2018, 11:01 pm

Reed playing the golf of his dreams

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho on Sat 07 Apr 2018, 11:03 pm

Amother member of the wgc/major group in all probability

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Sat 07 Apr 2018, 11:09 pm

Vital now that Rory doesn't drop any shots and ensures he is in the final group with Reed. Although 17 not going so well at the moment.
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho on Sat 07 Apr 2018, 11:12 pm

When rory putts he is the best around, its taken reed to be playing above himself to get the lead. Down to 4 now.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson on Sat 07 Apr 2018, 11:19 pm

Mcilroy is 7th in the rankings and hasn’t won a major in 4 years...which suggests he isn’t anywhere close to being the best in the world.....

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer on Sat 07 Apr 2018, 11:21 pm

Rory & Reed to reprise their Ryder Cup singles?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Sat 07 Apr 2018, 11:23 pm

sirbenson wrote:Mcilroy is 7th in the rankings and hasn’t won a major in 4 years...which suggests he isn’t anywhere close to being the best in the world.....

Not bad though..
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho on Sat 07 Apr 2018, 11:27 pm

Rory has 4 major wins out of 36. Until the others get near his total, I would take him over them as a better player, spieth is the big rival. Though I was more thinking it as when he is in form he is better then tge rest.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB on Sun 08 Apr 2018, 12:25 am

beninho wrote:Rory has 4 major wins out of 36.  Until the others get near his total, I would take him over them as a better player, spieth is the big rival. Though I was more thinking it as when he is in form he is better then tge rest.

Is three major wins out of 19 opportunities not close?

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Sun 08 Apr 2018, 12:43 am

GPB wrote:
beninho wrote:Rory has 4 major wins out of 36.  Until the others get near his total, I would take him over them as a better player, spieth is the big rival. Though I was more thinking it as when he is in form he is better then tge rest.

I assume that is Spieth's record? Gotta say I agree that Spieth's record so far is just as impressive as Rory's is. I think I said it once before on here but I reckon Spieth will get more career majors than McIlroy.
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H on Sun 08 Apr 2018, 1:00 am

Hadn’t picked up on Tommy Fleetwood confirming his entry for the New Orleans team event alongside Chris Paisley. Not sure how that works as a non-member. Would Paisley earn anything towards STM membership off the back of possibly being carried along by a teammate? And how has he got there in the first place, can a tour member just choose his mate to play with him?

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB on Sun 08 Apr 2018, 1:36 am

Yes, any "faux" FEX pts Paisley earns at Zurich would go towards STM.

As a non PGAT member, Fleetwood/Paisley would have gone through the Zurich officials and secured a sponsors exemption. Should they win, Paisley would immediately become a PGATour member and earn 400 real FEX Points. Get a Tour exemption through 2020. And mostly likely enough to qualify for the playoffs.

Brooks and Chase Koepka teamed up last year.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer on Sun 08 Apr 2018, 2:14 am

Eight (at the absolute most) horse race on Sunday?

If Reed shoots even par, it's probably a five-horse race. At Best.

Other things to play for include finishing in the Top 12 and getting an invite to return next year, something for Wiesberger, Fitzpatrick and Molinari, among plenty of others, to aim for..

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho on Sun 08 Apr 2018, 8:48 am

GPB wrote:

Its clearly close, which is why I said spieth is his big rival, and I also agree with mac that he will probably win more majors then Rory. But at present I would take Rorys record over any of tge other challengers.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers on Sun 08 Apr 2018, 9:35 am

3 from 19 is amazing, but could turn into 3 from 79, you never know when the next major win is coming, if at all. Ask Tiger!
I do think he'll win a lot more but people had given him the jacket on Thursday and he's clearly not quite on it at the moment.
Worlds best player? I guess even if he finishes second today then Rory starts his next tournament as bookies favourite regardless of who else plays. That could change month by month this year, so many evenly matched players.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Sun 08 Apr 2018, 9:45 am

Excellent play by Reed again. Looks like he's going to be the first to post 4 rounds in the 60's.
Be great to see a bit of an early collapse though to give the viewing a bit of interest as it's his to lose at present.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers on Sun 08 Apr 2018, 9:56 am

I'd be impressed and surprised if Reed goes sub 70 today. Does he defend the lead, does he carry on playing as he has? I suspect he'll go back to the field, or some of them will close on him. Hope so to keep it interesting. I'd like to see Tommy win but that seems unlikely, failing that either Ricky or Rory.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho on Sun 08 Apr 2018, 10:05 am

I want Rory to win or Rahm who seems like a volcano always bubbling. But I can't see Reed not winning this, though pressure is a funny thing. Don't think he's ever been in tjis positiom before.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers on Sun 08 Apr 2018, 10:12 am

Can't warm to Rahm, not sure why. Can certainly play though. I keep thinking of Reeds decision to putt on the final green of the tournament Casey won. Definitely a strange choice under pressure. Then again he's had 5 tour wins so can close it out.
Who knows!

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho on Sun 08 Apr 2018, 10:13 am

I see lots of hatred towards Reed not juust on this site, yet I am struggling to see anything wrong with him. A bit brash maybe, but nothing that bad.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers on Sun 08 Apr 2018, 10:19 am

I don't think anything close to hatred has been said about Reed on here, lots of positives mainly. If Fatrick is seen as hatred it's a sad state of affairs, he's definitely a bit on the chubby side, doesn't mean I can't see he's a good player.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho on Sun 08 Apr 2018, 10:27 am

Hatred may be a tad over the top, but he gets pelters on twitter. People really don't like him. I don't mind a bit of in your face attitude. I don't mind Hatton or Rahm both similar but cant stand poulter, no reason for an irrational dislike I suppose.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer on Sun 08 Apr 2018, 11:34 am

Surprised to see Reed where he is, playing as well as he has - but if he can just shoot 69 on Sunday he'll be tough to catch, and probably only by Rory.
He hasn't been playing particularly well, but has been exceptional this week.

Don't feel as if he's anywhere near as brash as when he started (the hard way, by Monday qualifying) on Tour, but he certainly brought a lot of baggage from his college days; whether justified or not, don't know.

Will be cool today but still pretty good conditions for scoring - little chance of "weather" being a factor.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H on Sun 08 Apr 2018, 12:29 pm

Anyone still wondering why Reed is so disliked, here you go:

http://www.greensboro.com/blogs/hardin_hard_n_fast/ed-hardin-augustans-nervous-about-the-leader-of-the-masters/article_29242a20-39f4-11e8-b463-9b501f0d58bd.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

For some reason i cant bring myself to hate him as much as I should, but still hoping Rory will seal the deal. Great stat on twitter, since 2000 12 players chasing a first major have held their first 54 hole lead in a major at Augusta. Only two of them have won. Some unlikely names in there too.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro on Sun 08 Apr 2018, 1:56 pm

Nothing but gossip Ned.

And he was spot on when he “threw Spieth under the bus”.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by wiretapper on Sun 08 Apr 2018, 1:58 pm

So the big question from last night for my fellow UK peeps is BBC or Sky Sports and why?

wiretapper

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong on Sun 08 Apr 2018, 2:11 pm

wiretapper wrote:So the big question from last night for my fellow UK peeps is BBC or Sky Sports and why?

Although I think they will get the same feed, there are issues with both of them.
Sky - adverts - but the BBC will have to show something else when the US coverage cuts away. But don't they have uninterrupted coverage thanks to the Masters sponsors on Sunday?
Both - sycophantic commentators.
Both - I don't care for interviews of players. Just show the golf.
Sky - Red button is a plus. (Featured Groups, Amen corner, 15th and 16th holes.)

So I might just mute the sound and flick between the two, whilst having a tablet to hand to read all your comments on here.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer on Sun 08 Apr 2018, 2:18 pm

Ned,
Our friend robopz had a far more charitable view on Reed; not sure whether strictly first-hand or close second-hand observation.
I'm sure something went on at both Colleges though, how much factual, how much apocryphal we may never know.

Believe Henrik Norlander was on those Augusta State teams - some scoop-happy journo needs to grill Henrik until he reveals the truth!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers on Sun 08 Apr 2018, 2:35 pm

NedB-H wrote:Anyone still wondering why Reed is so disliked, here you go:

http://www.greensboro.com/blogs/hardin_hard_n_fast/ed-hardin-augustans-nervous-about-the-leader-of-the-masters/article_29242a20-39f4-11e8-b463-9b501f0d58bd.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

For some reason i cant bring myself to hate him as much as I should, but still hoping Rory will seal the deal. Great stat on twitter, since 2000 12 players chasing a first major have held their first 54 hole lead in a major at Augusta. Only two of them have won. Some unlikely names in there too.

Do we think it was food that he stole?

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Sun 08 Apr 2018, 4:06 pm

Who will face the bigger pressure, Reed going for a first major with a decent sized lead or Rory aiming to complete a career grand slam?
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS on Sun 08 Apr 2018, 5:36 pm

McLaren wrote:Who will face the bigger pressure, Reed going for a first major with a decent sized lead or Rory aiming to complete a career grand slam?

In some ways the bigger pressure is on Rory yes. But he’s already proved on several occasions he can cope with pressure. Remember the pressure on his first major, just a couple of months after his Augusta meltdown?

Having said that fair play to “Top 5” if he wins will he finally reach the place where he has said he deserved to be? Most of us scoffed when he came out with the Top5 quote, just like we did with IJP and his “it’s just me and Tiger”...although pretty good foresight that they’d have a round 3 pre breakfast teetime together at the 2018 Masters :-p

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer on Sun 08 Apr 2018, 5:39 pm

JAS,
I think princedrac projected Top 5 should reach Top 12 subject to other results . . . . . . hopefully Rory will ensure it doesn't come to that, but Reed has been very impressive.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong on Sun 08 Apr 2018, 6:21 pm

I hope Suoer is cheering on Top 5. If only because he wears his lucky red shirt on Sundays

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Sun 08 Apr 2018, 6:31 pm

Only because a friend of mine stands to win 2k if Fatprick wins.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum