PGA Tour: The Masters, Past (it), Present and Wannabe: Notes from the Ballwasher

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Go down

PGA Tour: The Masters, Past (it), Present and Wannabe: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer on Wed 04 Apr 2018, 4:31 am

First topic message reminder :

1).But first: Ian James Poulter, you beauty.
Can't believe I wrote that, but one helluva story, like him or loathe him, what a ten days for IJP. Sure he does some stupid things, sure he behaves like an ass sometimes, but what a moment in the spotlight for him last Sunday, a spotlight that he'd pretty much turned on himself. Very happy to know there'll be at least one Ferrari on Magnolia Drive.

2).Right, where was I? That's right, bottle of plonk, a list of runners and off we go. Only 87 will come under starter's orders on Thursday, about a dozen fewer than usual, so approximately 60% will make the cut. And, of those, you can take about 20 and know only a handful have an earthly of playing the weekend.
So let's eliminate these Past Champions from the list of possible winners - Picture of some of them here:
https://www.masters.com/en_US/index.html

Nah, some of them might win, but these won't:
Cabrera, Couples, Immelman, Zach, Langer, Lyle, Mize, O'Meara, Olazabal, Schwartzel, Scott, Singh, Weir, Willett, Woods, Woosie. Apart from the ceremonial attendees, none of Zach, Charl, Adam, Willett or Woods are playing well enough to win - got to get rid of them some time. (16)

3).Amateurs: Outahere!
Harry Ellis, Ghim, Lin, Niemann, Parzialle, Redman. No amateur has reached the top ten since the 1960's - that won't change. (6)

4).Rookies haven't won since Fuzzy Zoeller last ate collard greens. This lot won't either:
Cook, Bryan, Sharma, Miyazato, Kizzire, Frittelli, Kodaira, Li, Finau, Schauffele. Schauffele probably the wild card among them. (10)

5).Outside the owgr Top Fifty:
Walker, Kaymer, Horschel, Potter, Ryan Moore, DeChambeau, Wiesberger, Ikeda, Vegas, Henley, SiWoo Kim. Though Ryan Moore punches above his (growing) weight at Augusta and Henley is a putting genius. (11)

6).Some players are inside the owgr Top 50, but are not playing as well as they were last year - when they didn't win, so why should they this year?
Dufner, Pieters, Chappell, Fitzpatrick, Berger, Fisher, Grace, Oosthuizen, Hoffman, Molinari, Rafa C-B, Perez. These are ranked between 21st & 50th - Hate to lose Chappell on that list, and King Louis could win anywhere, anytime. And no-one would be surprised to see Hoffman play well. (12)

7).Only 32 left, and time to say farewell to Asia, South America, Australia, golfers born in England. Cheerio chaps:
Cam Smith, Aphibarnrat, Poults, Hatton, Leishman, Fleetwood, Casey, Day, Matsuyama. Could make a case, each way at least, for most of them - be really interested how Fleetwood goes; playing with Tiger will inspire or intimidate. (9)

8).Right-handers who haven't won a Major:
Reavie, Stanley, Hadwin, Steele, Cantlay, Woodland, Kisner, Reed, Kuchar, Noren, Stenson, Fowler, Rahm. I like Hadwin as much as any of them, and Kuchar has a great record at Augusta with four Top 8's in the last six years and is the leading career money-winner on Tour without a Major among the under 50's. Either he's due or he's overdue and his train has long gone. (13)

9).Ten lives left.
Webb Simpson has somehow survived so far but he's not going to win. And I can't believe that lightning will strike Bubba again. Dustin plays well here when he doesn't withdraw in mysterious circumstances but he's not last year's model - not yet anyway. Whilst Spieth is not putting like Spieth. And Sergio will have too many distractions, not to mention digesting his arroz caldoso de bogavante. (5)

10).And that leaves Brian Harman (my outsider du jour), a Georgia boy and a superb putter, Phil, Rory and the Justins, Rose and Thomas. I can't easily dismiss any of the five of them, but I'm still not convinced that Justin Thomas's game fits well here and something tells me Rory might want it all a bit too much (hope not though!).
Hopefully it'll be Justin Rose's time, he has a wonderful record of consistency in US Majors, finished 2nd, 10th, 2nd the last three years and seems to have been building towards a second Major. Perhaps from Phil, while I also/always like Louis Oosthuizen at Augusta.  

Can't remember a recent Masters when so many players seemed to have a realistic chance - hope the coverage will be as good as the golf promises to be.

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Wed 04 Apr 2018, 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Re: PGA Tour: The Masters, Past (it), Present and Wannabe: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by McLaren on Mon 09 Apr 2018, 11:12 am

navyblueshorts wrote:He has the game, but I wonder if he'll win another of these big ones?

Rory no longer has the game to win a major due to the quality of his putting. The likes of JT, Spieth, Fowler, to a lesser extent Rahm just hole so many more putts than him. And as well as the consistently good putters there will also be a guy like Reed having a great week.

Unless he can find a long term solution to his putting problems he won't win another major.

McLaren

Back to top Go down

Re: PGA Tour: The Masters, Past (it), Present and Wannabe: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer on Mon 09 Apr 2018, 11:46 am

puligny wrote:Is the caddy change working for Rory? Looked to me like he needed someone a little more in his ear?
Well done Patrick Reed - quality golf and real grit and determination.

The Masters had a 1, 2, 3 of golfers who hired inexperienced caddies, in order brother-in-law (who inherited Reed's bag from Mrs Reed), friend (Fowler's chum Joe) and maths teacher (Greller was just a Chambers Bay golfer volunteering to caddy - or something like that - who coincidentally picked up Spieth's bag). Not sure who Rahm has. And then there's DJ who's #1 in the world with his bro on the bag.
I suppose you could argue that Reed & Fowler have both won less than perhaps they should, but who knows, but Spieth's hardly put a foot wrong.

I would say Reed deservedly won it, but those missed tiddlers stopped Rory from ever properly contending - even if he'd've shot 69, a good score all things considered, he'd've tied for 2nd.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Mon 09 Apr 2018, 12:35 pm

Kwini

Aren't all caddies inexperienced when they start given there isn't a caddy school they come out of? What matters is whether they are any good and if they form a winning relationship with their player once they start. For Spieth, DJ and Reed the player caddy relationship might be working better than Rory and his mate.

Rory and his mate may even be doing ok but you have to wonder if due to Rory's shortcomings in strategy and putt reading he needs more of a bones or stevie williams type caddie who can coerce him to pick the right shot?
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer on Mon 09 Apr 2018, 1:12 pm

Of course. Or some are former pros, like Justin Thomas's caddie, Jimmy Johnson, while guys like LaCava, Williams, McKay, Fluff had loads of experience before getting "celebrity" bags.

I would have thought an older, wiser more experienced head would be more suitable for Rory - it was clear that his relationship with JP had ended when I followed him last June, but I think Rory respected JP when they started out.

Was just pointing out the "coincidence" of mates rather than pros at The Masters.

What was wrong with Rory's strategy yesterday? It was his putting that let him down, right from #2 and #3 on, altho' the "strategy" of not taking any time over his eagle putt (and some others) didn't work.
Imagine his next Major will see him coming from behind, a la Bay Hill where positive momentum will carry him - never fancied his head-to-head w/Reed, don't feel as if it really suited either one.
Very disappointing result whichever way one looks at it.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts on Mon 09 Apr 2018, 1:21 pm

McLaren wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:He has the game, but I wonder if he'll win another of these big ones?

Rory no longer has the game to win a major due to the quality of his putting.  The likes of JT, Spieth, Fowler, to a lesser extent Rahm just hole so many more putts than him.  And as well as the consistently good putters there will also be a guy like Reed having a great week.

Unless he can find a long term solution to his putting problems he won't win another major.

Maybe, maybe not. He's nowhere near as consistently good as, say, Spieth, but he can be streakily(!) good sometimes. Whether he can do that for four consecutive rounds of a Major while others butt out, I'm not sure. Time will tell though.
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Mon 09 Apr 2018, 1:37 pm

Kwini

When mentioning Rory's strategy I was talking in general terms not specifically yesterday.

And I agree that in a head to head like yesterday I wouldn't fancy Rory because as we saw he doesn't keep holing the 5-10 footers that really start to get to your opponent.

Navy

If he has to hole putts he won't win a major. kwini said that coming from behind might be his best bet but I think building a huge lead over the first two days will be his only formula for success.

On the bbc golf podcast they thought this was McIlroy's most disappointing result ever. Does anyone agree with that?
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Mon 09 Apr 2018, 1:40 pm

Also something a bit weird, and may have been tongue in cheek but Tiger tweeted that Reed has guaranteed at least a captains pick for the 2019 pres cup.
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny on Mon 09 Apr 2018, 2:29 pm

Caddies - recognise the current, and for all I know, past trend, but just didn’t see much engagement or interaction? It was regularly argued that the same was true with JP. Just seems to me that if you can have someone to assist, make the most of it! Maybe Rory gets exactly what he needs from a trusted good mate, who also was a good junior golfer, but at times he (Rory) seemed to be a bit frenetic in the thinking department. I think it was the interview with Padraig that has me thinking. Even the most talented need a little shock and awe from their oppos occasionally?
Anyway, none of that should detract from a worthy winner, or the other excellent performances. If I can stay within a gnats crotchet of my handicap at Hayling tomorrow I will put it down to a Reed like bulldog spirit which will be a new feature of my game!!!!

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer on Mon 09 Apr 2018, 2:45 pm

puligny wrote:Caddies - recognise the current, and for all I know, past trend, but just didn’t see much engagement or interaction? It was regularly argued that the same was true with JP. Just seems to me that if you can have someone to assist, make the most of it! Maybe Rory gets exactly what he needs from a trusted good mate, who also was a good junior golfer, but at times he (Rory) seemed to be a bit frenetic in the thinking department. I think it was the interview with Padraig that has me thinking. Even the most talented need a little shock and awe from their oppos occasionally?
Anyway, none of that should detract from a worthy winner, or the other excellent performances. If I can stay within a gnats crotchet of my handicap at Hayling tomorrow I will put it down to a Reed like bulldog spirit which will be a new feature of my game!!!!

Not sure I can make it in time, but:
"Do you need a caddie?"

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny on Mon 09 Apr 2018, 3:01 pm

I think a wraparound brolly which I am in the process of inventing. Unusual forecast to have wind at our backs on way out and beating us to death on the way home! Hey ho!

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro on Mon 09 Apr 2018, 4:36 pm

And we have a new R2D leader. With twice as many points as #2.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer on Mon 09 Apr 2018, 5:37 pm

Four no-shows for Harbour Town this week, including DC (so much for that sponsor invitation) and Brandon Grace.

Three Fatties in, Couch, Knost & Marino, plus 50-something Jeff Maggert.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited on Mon 09 Apr 2018, 9:17 pm

Interesting reading this thread after the event. So many assertions of what players are going or not going to do, most of them way off the mark. For example the claim of a Rickie Fowler collapse... but hey hindsight is a wonderful thing. All opinions and nothing wrong with that.

On the caddy debate well the role of the caddy is different for each player and they all need / want different things.

Although I really don’t understand Mac’s point about Rory needing help with course management and green reading. I thought Rory had a pretty good game plan through the week and his course management and decision making were generally excellent. Also thought he read the greens very well too. Can you provide some examples to support your thinking?

The sad truth is that Rory just didn’t execute. Those missed putts were pulls and pushes not mid reads. I was rooting for him, but dare I say it, looked like a bottle job on Sunday.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts on Mon 09 Apr 2018, 9:48 pm

raycastleunited wrote:Interesting reading this thread after the event. So many assertions of what players are going or not going to do, most of them way off the mark. For example the claim of a Rickie Fowler collapse... but hey hindsight is a wonderful thing. All opinions and nothing wrong with that.
It is indeed. Similar for the so-called experts though, so we're in good company!

raycastleunited wrote:The sad truth is that Rory just didn’t execute. Those missed putts were pulls and pushes not mid reads. I was rooting for him, but dare I say it, looked like a bottle job on Sunday.
So sure? How could you tell?
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro on Mon 09 Apr 2018, 10:05 pm

His 5 missed shortish putts on the front 9 were all missed to the right. Hardly a pull.

Rory had the right game plan, otherwise he wouldn’t be in the final pairing. He choked on Sunday as a result of missed putts and fragile mentality.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Mon 09 Apr 2018, 10:25 pm

He was swinging it like Tiger Moobs.
No poise, no balance that he usually has.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho on Tue 10 Apr 2018, 8:46 am

I don't think every time soneone doesn't play well is a choke. He just didn't play well, but he is an inconsistent player, and if he is just a bit off it can have an impact.

I didn't see the caddy getting praise when he shot 65 so not sure the caddy is at fault because he shoots 74.

He can definitely win again, don't know if he will. But then I cant see into the future.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited on Tue 10 Apr 2018, 10:15 am

Rory’s final round putts, You can tell by the way he was lined up :
2. Push
3. Missed right not sure if it was a push or slight mis read.
5. Push
8. Pull
9. Push.
After that it didn’t really matter.

And sorry but he choked. Allowed the occasion to get to him. Shame as He was showing major winners form and because he’s a streaky player he needs to make the most of it when form plus schedule align.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer on Tue 10 Apr 2018, 3:39 pm

raycastleunited wrote:Rory’s final round putts, You can tell by the way he was lined up :
2. Push
3. Missed right not sure if it was a push or slight mis read.
5. Push
8. Pull
9. Push.
After that it didn’t really matter.

And sorry but he choked. Allowed the occasion to get to him. Shame as He was showing major winners form and because he’s a streaky player he needs to make the most of it when form plus schedule align.

Don't really think we're giving Reed enough credit.
Rory could have holed all the putts ray rightly describes, and he'd still have come up one stroke short - tho would have tied if he'd've made the tiddler he missed on #14, which wasn't shown on the CBS feed.

Rory showed so much emotion during his Saturday round, superb in every way, could he follow the great round with a "proverbial" good round? Not many do and he didn't, but who knows why? Personally wish he'd spend more time on very short putts but, other than that, dunno.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Tue 10 Apr 2018, 3:44 pm

Kwini

I agree that Reed hasn't got enough credit (mostly lacking from the mainstream golf media) but he would have been under a different level of stress had Rory holed some of the earlier putts. For example how different does the day look if Rory eagles 2 and pars 3?
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer on Tue 10 Apr 2018, 4:36 pm

Agree 100%, but he also knew Spieth was gaining on him, and actually level late on the back nine. Probably feared Spieth more then than he did Rory early on.

McIlroy & Woods will presumably give it a rest for three weeks, then show up at Quail Hollow and TPC.
It feels as if that's the end of the "spring" (still winter here though) season, everything now focussed increasingly towards Shinnecock - not sure either Rory or Tiger is suited to that. Then Carnoustie, which I can't wait for!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Tue 10 Apr 2018, 9:05 pm

Apparently the PGAt "these guys are good" slogan is being retired in favour of "live under par".

Not sure what "live under par" actually means though?
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts on Tue 10 Apr 2018, 9:28 pm

McLaren wrote:Kwini

I agree that Reed hasn't got enough credit (mostly lacking from the mainstream golf media) but he would have been under a different level of stress had Rory holed some of the earlier putts.  For example how different does the day look if Rory eagles 2 and pars 3?
Depends. If someone caught him with enough holes to play, i would have thought that would have brought out the shoot-from-the-hip matchplayer and I still think he'd have won it. If he was caught really late, with not enough time to turn it around, a different kettle of fish.
Not a problem though as the records say he was Master champion for 2018.
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro on Tue 10 Apr 2018, 10:46 pm

McLaren wrote:
Maybe something about owning a bus pass?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Wed 11 Apr 2018, 7:56 am

McLaren wrote:Apparently the PGAt "these guys are good" slogan is being retired in favour of "live under par".

Seeing as you're such a slobbering wreck over Wie Under Par, I think you might be able to work it out.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H on Wed 11 Apr 2018, 1:10 pm

News confirmed that the August WGC is moving from Firestone as of 2019, which is good. To go to Memphis, still to be played in August, which is not so good. But very hot. Not sure what that means for the rest of the schedule rejigging, frees up the June spot Memphis has now though.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer on Wed 11 Apr 2018, 1:23 pm

NedB-H wrote:News confirmed that the August WGC is moving from Firestone as of 2019, which is good. To go to Memphis, still to be played in August, which is not so good. But very hot. Not sure what that means for the rest of the schedule rejigging, frees up the June spot Memphis has now though.

Can't imagine the European Tour members would be that thrilled to travel to Memphis in August if there's no back-to-back with a Major.
But perhaps that's the idea - the ghost of Finchem past.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Wed 11 Apr 2018, 1:51 pm

I guess they can't put another WGC in may prior to the new PGA date because the season would basically be over by July.

Even as it is from 2019 the schedule will be heavily loaded towards the first half of the year as there will be 3 WGC's (HSBC, Dell, Mexico) and 3 Majors by mid Jun.
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer on Wed 11 Apr 2018, 2:10 pm

Mac,
Statistically that's hardly surprising as the season will mostly be over by the time we enter July 2019.

I reckon it's all a mess, but it could favour the European Tour in the long run as most of their top events are second half of year.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by wiretapper on Wed 11 Apr 2018, 2:19 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Mac,
Statistically that's hardly surprising as the season will mostly be over by the time we enter July 2019.

I reckon it's all a mess, but it could favour the European Tour in the long run as most of their top events are second half of year.

Do you think we could see a knock on effect with European tour events? The BMW PGA at Wentworth moving to August for example. At present it is looking like it will be sandwiched between the USPGA and the US Open.

wiretapper

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer on Wed 11 Apr 2018, 2:50 pm

Would think that's a possibility, wire.
Imagine the ET will want to "crescendo" their way to Ryder Cup competition in the future, whereas the Ryder & Presidents Cups will be isolated to PGA Tour golfers as the FedEx Play-Offs will be done and dusted weeks before.

All speculation though until we see the respective Tour schedules . . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum